It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Jackinthebox got jacked-up by the police

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I suppose I should start a dedicated threat to my most recent experience with police brutality/excessive force. I have talked about this incident in other threads before, and recently another member was asking me about it. So instead of derailing that thread, I decided to finally start this one. I really shouldn’t be talking about this in a public forum since the case is still pending, but I think the level of anonymity is suffice to protect me from the damages that can be done by talking about an open case.

The police were in the neighborhood investigating a broken window at my neighbors’ apartment at about two in the morning. I came out and stood on my front porch to speak with two officers from the local department. Having worn a shield for several years, I asked to be allowed to empty my pockets before we engaged in conversation, as I had been drinking a bit and was armed.

The conversation was amicable for a few moments, and I was granted permission to smoke a cigarette while we spoke. Quickly though, their attitude shifted toward threats and intimidation. I responded by making a wise-crack along the lines of not really being afraid of a few local cops from their small department.

In an instant, I was face-down on my front porch. I was kicked about my torso and in the head repeatedly. A hand-held stun gun was applied to my back and legs ten times. They made no attempt to put the cuffs on my, until they noticed that the neighbors across the street were all watching. Throughout the beating, I did my best to simply lay there like a dead fish, knowing full well that any motion would only intensify the force applied by the officers.

I was charged for supposedly fighting with the officers, though anyone who knows me, or even had an idea about my size, would know that these two officers certainly would not have come away unscathed had I decided to engage them. Almost a year later, the charges are still pending.

Here are a few pics. One of a bruise, the other of a few marks left by the stun-gun.

[edit on 3/27/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
ARGGHHH!!!!!

there are soo many things wrong with this I can barely type. First your lawyer has an easy case.

second check out www.ratemycop.com give them a review.

third call into alex jones radio show today (airing now) tell them your story and make sure you reference the police department and have the police departments phone number ready to give to the public. Even if you dont respect or "believe" him its a great place to get some info out to active people.

now when you asked to empty your pockets before you spoke was that just cause of your previous "shield" experience because I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable on how to approach cops and that was new to me.

the part where you said you "asked for permission to smoke" just further infuriates me, I understand the courtesy but really REALLY?

and not trying to give you a hard time but if you were a officer then you should know bout the "carrying" I would have left that inside. (maybe you did?)

and my own personal .02 cents if you dont have to talk to a cop JUST DONT!

good luck jack! keep us updated.

(and keep making those sweet sweet tacos om nom nom)

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
That is horrible. On you own front porch minding you business.

Were you arrested and taken to Jail?

I hope you will file a complaint against the officers when this is over. But I made a complaint against an officer concerning sexual harassment and wish I never had. They do protect their own.

It is a shame that the very people who are supposed to protect us will turn on us and inflict bodily damage. Who do we trust?

I do hope you will be exonerated of all charges.

Dizzie

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I am not yet prepared to publicly denigrate the department, as I have friends in that department and long-standing ties to the community.

now when you asked to empty your pockets before you spoke was that just cause of your previous "shield" experience because I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable on how to approach cops and that was new to me.

I knew that I was going to be treated as a suspect, given my realtionship with the victim of the broken window and the time of day.

the part where you said you "asked for permission to smoke" just further infuriates me, I understand the courtesy but really REALLY?

The language of politics. I wanted to get a sense of their intentions, and show them respect in return.

and not trying to give you a hard time but if you were a officer then you should know bout the "carrying" I would have left that inside. (maybe you did?)

I really just forgot about it, until after I had come out. If you do not announce that you are carrying a weapon, it can get you killed.

and my own personal .02 cents if you dont have to talk to a cop JUST DONT!

That's good advice.

good luck jack!

Thanks

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Oh man you just gotta love society right? Ive been treated the same way, but I think of it as my fault for being in society in the first place. I mean, I could be living off the land and away from places that supposedly need violent enforcement, but I chose to spend some time in the city with vanity and thats the kind of stuff that cities are made of it seems.
With the amount of materialism in society today, Im glad they beat me down, just proved to me that the universe meant for me to live in the desert away from the hype and worship of the dollar.
Sorry to hear about that my friend, its just wrong because there are so many peace officers out there that actually uphold their title, officers of the peace, and would absolutely despise such activity. Society is supposed to be a safe place, but if you cant screen for ill intension's upon hiring, then things like this will keep happening if people don't make a stand and somehow get more enforcement on their side as far as prosecuting officers of the law; they usually just get fired or let go, hardly ever do they spend the time in the system as a civilian would.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Were you arrested and taken to Jail?

Indeed I was. And not just the local holding tank either. They shipped me off to the county jail.

I hope you will file a complaint against the officers when this is over.

The neighbors who saw this happen all tried to lodge complaints, first with the department in question, and then through the county. No one has ever returned their calls. One woman has since told her young college-age children to not stop for anyone from that department until they have come to a very local place and have contacted her by phone.

I do hope you will be exonerated of all charges.

I fully expect to. If I'm not, I will certainly make a real issue of it.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Good luck in your case. The good news is you have a ton of witnesses. I hope that when everything is all said and done, there's two ex-cops in your town working as security guards at K-Mart for minimum wage.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
I am not yet prepared to publicly denigrate the department, as I have friends in that department and long-standing ties to the community.

if that's the case, I dont have much to add to this thread at all. If you refuse to speak up (other than on a message board), it's partly your fault if it happens again by the same cops to someone else.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

...working as security guards at K-Mart for minimum wage.

I've been out of work for almost a year and just finally landed a job today doing just that.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Every high school bully grows up to become either a criminal, or a cop.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

If you refuse to speak up (other than on a message board), it's partly your fault if it happens again by the same cops to someone else.

I see your point, but there are certain ways of doing things.

I could have sued, but decided not to because my family pays taxes in this town for one thing. I don't want the town to be hurt by what a few bad cops have done. Making this a national issue, would sort of be like using excessive force all over again.

There is also my own selfish consideration, that they will never allow me to be exonerated if I go and make this a big political issue before my trial. I do however intend to take appropriate and measured political action once this case is settled.

I would also like to add that one of the officers is now invloved in a much more serious case that happend only days after my own. He was driving the town's brand new Charger cruiser at 80 in a 40 without his lights or siren, and hit a minivan broadside. The mother/driver sustained a broken back and the children were seriously injured as well.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Well that's just frickin' unfair. Did you lose your old job because of what happened with the Goon Squad... er... I mean, police department?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

Well that's just frickin' unfair. Did you lose your old job because of what happened with the Goon Squad... er... I mean, police department?

Actually, no. I had been out of work for a month or so when this incident occurred. But I have been able to secure any employment with charges pending against me. I even "failed" a backround check to bag groceries.

I just caught a break today from a guy I used to work for years ago.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Why would you go out when cops are investigating a crime, armed? Why would you say I'm not afraid of a few cops? I feel bad for the way you were treated, but a little forethought and tact, could've changed the circumstances considerably.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
it's unfortunate that we have guilty cops and innocent criminals, but that's just the way it is.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueRaja

Why would you go out when cops are investigating a crime, armed?

I was already out. My front door was open and I had two friends over. We were hanging out on the porch and in the living room.

Why would you say I'm not afraid of a few cops?

Natural response to their threats I suppose. Not the thing to say, granted, but does that warrant the use of potentially deadly force against me. Telling a cop where to go is not really a crime in and of itself. Not to mention that I did not even stoop to using foul language. Gee, I'm sorry if I hurt der widda feewings.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

... I responded by making a wise-crack along the lines of not really being afraid of a few local cops from their small department.

You answered the very question I was just about to ask.

If there is a case pending you should really zip it up, unless of course your plan is to create a deliberate excuse to gripe about how THE SYSTEM failed and did you wrong, yet again.

Sorry for your pain, but think Man, think!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Well, hopefully once your situation is cleared up you'll have more openings available to you.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox

I was already out. My front door was open and I had two friends over. We were hanging out on the porch and in the living room.

Natural response to their threats I suppose. Not the thing to say, granted, but does that warrant the use of potentially deadly force against me. Telling a cop where to go is not really a crime in and of itself. Not to mention that I did not even stoop to using foul language. Gee, I'm sorry if I hurt der widda feewings.

How far is your porch from your neighbor? Did the cops come to your porch or did you go to them? Why if you were armed didn't you go inside and an empty your pockets then? Why would you throw gasoline on a fire by making a wise crack- I'm not afraid of a few cops, when they are INVESTIGATING a crime scene? Again, I'm sorry for your misfortune, but why the heck would you tempt fate like that, and then wonder why there might be some negative reaction? Did they overreact- probably. Would they have overreacted had you not said that remark?
One principle that I try to live by is- life is hard, but it's even harder if you're stupid.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

If there is a case pending you should really zip it up, unless of course your plan is to create a deliberate excuse to gripe about how THE SYSTEM failed and did you wrong, yet again.

In case you missed it, ATS does offer some level of anonymity and it's not like I'm facing a murder rap.

You don't think this is a legitimate "gripe"?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join