It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Member Types Analysis

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Not an analysis as such, but more a break down of the wide variety of members that frequently populate ATS. I know some of you will probably disagree or think I have missed some (and most probably got the wrong definition, apologies in advance), so you all have the chance to add your own.

Conspiracy Theorists- This one is pretty self explanatory, after all without them ATS wouldnt really exist. Conspiracy theorists tend to believe in all conspiracies, yet usually provide some credible evidence to back up their claim and welcome challenges to their theories

Pseudoskeptics- These members tend to disbelieve in every single conspiracy that was ever thought of, not matter what evidence is provided. When debating with conspiracy theorists they tend to just claim that they (the CT's) are wrong and paranoid, crazy, on drugs, etc. They rarely back up their beliefs with evidence

Skeptics- Same as above but they are less derogatory to members and usually try to back up their point of view with credible evidence

Trolls- These members are almost purely on ATS to instigate heated arguments. They seldom provide evidence or (in too many cases) can engage in intelligent discussion. They also frequently post things that break the ATS rules. They also (apparently) could be government agents

Disinformationists- Cant believe I am even posting this one. These members are allegedly paid government agents put on ATS to spread disinformation. Totally mythical

Neutral- These users sit on the fence or believe in some things and not others. Probably the most abundant group on ATS

The Extraordinary- These are the most humorous members (in my opinion). They usually make extreme cliams, like being from another planet, being a time traveller or claiming they work at area 51 or something similar. They never produce any credible evidence to back themselves up.

Scaremongers- These members can fit into a couple of categories, but they tend to post mostly on 2012, Nibiru and other world ending threads. Although they do use evidence, most of it is from an extremely biased source (some of these sites encourage you to buy stuff, lol)

Religious Extremists/ Atheist Extremists- These members only post on religious threads, bashing or critisizing the opposite belief. They create lots of threads beginning with "100% proof of god" or "100% proof there is no god", and they also love to post on evolution and creationsim threads

One Thread Wonders- These members usually sign up create a controversial thread that ends up with hundreds of replying posts. Then the user dissapears, sometimes banned and on other occasions, say they are heading back to their time period, running from government agents, etc

So these are the groups that I think exist on ATS.

Feel free to add others or debate my descritptions, and what group do you belong to

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Hey ther OzWeatherman,

What a great (and original) idea for a thread. You certainly seem to have a pretty good spectrum of ATS types there.

I would also add another group ... 'Experts'
The people who know there stuff and provide intelligent help and advise to other members (examples that spring to mind are 'Internos' and 'Mikesingh').

I shall continue to watch this thread I think it's going to be a biggy.

Woody

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Given that many topics here refer to things that may not even exist, some of these experts might be considered theorists.

I have also noticed that those with knowledge on a subject to add to a conversation quite often become known as 'dis-info agents' instead of 'bubble bursters'.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Lets not forget the newest group that I am a proud member of Survivalist.

The forum is for the discussion of techniques and strategies related to surviving major catastrophes that may effect very-large regions or entire countries. We don't worry so much about conspiracies being true. What we worry about is what will happen if the conspiracy is true.

ATS survival forums

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I believe you should add at least another group, if you are attempting to incorporate all members of ATS, call it what you will, but IMO everything I read on here I see as possible, I read people saying how certain stories are total BS or how certain technologies are impossible and it just makes me think, how the hell can they know? You can't say anything is BS or impossible without a certain tone of ignorance because, how would you know?

I know there are more people on here who see things as I do, but from the majority of things I have seen, we are few.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Thanks

I hope it becomes a biggy

Yeah, experts would have been a good one, but it should be broken into 2 though. One for known sciences/ or areas (like meteorology for me
) and experts on alternative topics

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
psudeoskeptics is an odd term for that category, since they are automatically skeptic by default, not sorta (peuedo), perhaps antitheorists.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectroMagnetic MultiversYou can't say anything is BS or impossible without a certain tone of ignorance because, how would you know?

I know there are more people on here who see things as I do, but from the majority of things I have seen, we are few.

Oz, looks like you forgot another group: the Mulders/"want to believers", automatically believes anything no matter how "out there".

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Let's not forget a couple of others: psuedo-experts and psuedo-intellectuals.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican

Lets not forget the newest group that I am a proud member of Survivalist.

Ah good one

I never thought of that group, but it does seem that there are several survival experts out there

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Not an analysis as such, but more a break down

More like profiling, to get a better understanding how to proceed with your dis info tactics

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Yeah ! Good call.
This is not a one liner.

Woody

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Then you have the group that creates thread after thread whining about being called a dis-info agent. What an annoying bunch that is. It's as though they don't realize they act like a dis-info agent would, if such entities actually existed. Which we all know they don't.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by General Izer

Funny,..ask OZ about that, he ran one a week or two ago.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Swingarm

To Swingarm:
So go find the information posted by OzWeatherman that is wrong, misleading, intended to muddy the waters, obfuscate an issue, or be less than verifiable and tested.....then prove it. I find that kind of crap aggravating and trollish.

To Oz:
How about the pseudo-philosophers.....those that have read a couple of books and suddenly know the minds of others.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Also ...

TinWiki Editors (Sysops) -- members of abovetopsecret.com who spend the majority of there ATS time on TinWiki improving and adding to the content there.

Hey us sysops are people too

Fox

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I do not fit in any description that you have mentioned.
I found out by reading this board that each person has an idividual character.I could not place my self in any points that you made.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swingarm
reply to post by General Izer

Funny,..ask OZ about that, he ran one a week or two ago.

Well you fit nicely into the troll category there. Instead of discussing the topic you have tried to bait me into arguing with you.......thanks for proving my point

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Great thread!

I also think you missed a category:

Bored kids/teenagers (pretending to be otherwise)
These people post wild claims with ridiculous ´evidence´. Their posts are riddled with typos and poor grammar. Probably a sub-group of either ´one thread wonders´ or ´The Extraordinary´...

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I refuse to be pigeon holed
OK I'm sorry, carry on..What about members from the alien factions spreading rumors that Planet X is not real and that there are no reptilians underground?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join