It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Member Types Analysis

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer
psudeoskeptics is an odd term for that category, since they are automatically skeptic by default, not sorta (peuedo), perhaps antitheorists.

No, not really. As I see it, a skeptic is, by the very definition of the word, a person who approaches everything with a dose of doubt - and that includes the precepts of contemporary "scientific thought".
By the same token such a person is defined by his or her ability to keep the mind open.

Very few self-styled skeptics fall into that category.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectroMagnetic MultiversYou can't say anything is BS or impossible without a certain tone of ignorance because, how would you know?

I know there are more people on here who see things as I do, but from the majority of things I have seen, we are few.

Oz, looks like you forgot another group: the Mulders/"want to believers", automatically believes anything no matter how "out there".

There is nothing automatic in what I believe, I accept anything as a possibility, this doesn't mean there is no thought, only no bias(or an attempt at no bias). An issues degree of "out there" doesn't discredit a theory (or should that be shouldn't), but only makes it harder for people to consider reality, or unfortunately, even possibility.

I apologise, I must've angered you to provoke a flaming, please explain what I did and I ill try to avoid it in future.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Oz, looks like you forgot another group: the Mulders/"want to believers", automatically believes anything no matter how "out there".

Lol, thats clever

Maybe we could call that the "Mulder wannabe groupie group"

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I think there are a couple of other groups : Those looking for something exciting in their lives and fall on prophecies, especially those with a date. Also I think there are some that view ATS as a saviour/sanctuary in these troubled times. They can share their concerns with like minded people and feel part of a group.

There are probably more as I have come accross users who meet the criteria for both of the above.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

No, not really. As I see it, a skeptic is, by the very definition of the word, a person who approaches everything with a dose of doubt - and that includes the precepts of contemporary "scientific thought".
By the same token such a person is defined by his or her ability to keep the mind open.

Very few self-styled skeptics fall into that category.

Sounds like the already defined Neutrals.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectroMagnetic Multivers

You can't say anything is BS or impossible without a certain tone of ignorance because, how would you know?
I apologise, I must've angered you to provoke a flaming, please explain what I did and I ill try to avoid it in future.

Nah not really, but a statement like "anything is possible" is the kind of thinking that gets threads like:

Random dude: The world is gonna end Friday, a little bird told me.
Mulder: This Friday or a week from Friday? What else did the bird say?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
There are also the

Omnipotent Beings - who [think they] are always right and know everything.

I'm sure there are none of them on ATS though? Well, apart from me

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
I do not fit in any description that you have mentioned.
I found out by reading this board that each person has an idividual character.I could not place my self in any points that you made.

Maybe you can be in your own group.....could call them the "loners" group, lol

But seriously you have to fit in somewhere right

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Hmm, the Mulder eh?

I think that ending the description at "What else did the birdy say?" at the very least does not do Duchovny's character justice. He did do research, had much evidence to back up his claims, but his style of going about proof just doesn't sit well with a lot of CTs.

The way the Mulder ATS class has been presented, seems little more than an insult. Rather, I think that a "Mulder" would first almost certainly stick to an Anon. handle for safety reasons, He or she would be actively pursuing first hand, dangerous information in the field of the paranormal, have a wealth of controversial (not to mention some could be questionable but also other evidence would be well substantiated) evidence and a desire to present it despite the consequences, as well as being somewhat outcast from his or her professional field (being a professional is needed, not necessarily being directly affiliated to paranormal research, they use their field to augment their research).

Naturally this type of person would be eccentric, unrelenting, uncompromising, yet still willing to see other's points of view. A very complex personna indeed.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I dont think the government needs to pay anybody to deliberately spread disinfo when they have so many tool's that are doing it for free.. and whats more convincing.. smoeone that knows there lying and pushing bad info along? or some tool who actually believes the crap he's saying to people? fueld by lack of research and stubborness to learn from others of course

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Good thread. I think that if you don't really fit into one of those specific categories, then you should be classified as a "neutral." Like you said, they kind of straddle the fence, sometimes stepping to the right and sometimes stepping to the left, depending on the situation. (Believe or don't believe) I believe I am a part of this group. Thanks for the list again!

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
How aboiut old guy who missed the boat. Hoping that some thing good here happens and gives us a chance to make things better. Uh Leg Pullers a JL comes to mind I meant the man many times and he knows how to tell a good story. bil

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
There is one key group who haven't been mentioned and these members defy explanation. The tutelage of insanity - as I like to call them - create threads and post outlandish theories that are mad and type like this;

OMG MY DAD'S FRIEND, FRIEND, FRIEND, UNCLE'S GRANDDAD WORKS FOR AREA 51 AND PLAYS TENNIS WITH ALIENS. THESE ALIENS ARE TAKING OVER THE WORLD AND ARE PLANNING IT VIA FACEBOOK

THE UNIVERSAL CONFEDERATION NEEDS US AND THESE ALIENS WANT TO HELP US!!

Yeah, stuff like that really.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Then there's the "I have a bunch of links its true" or "you'll never guess what just happened" never believe it either. Or the footage utubers there is another ufo in south america, a balloon at some childs party. The just wait tell I figure out how to post it people who never post it. I saw it on tv it must be true. Spent the night in the middle of no where and weird things happened, How do you know whats weird in a place you have never been before. Its all fun and I wait for that one peice of evidence that will prove it all to me. Oh yea and the cost of gas and food hasn't hit me people feel sorry when it hits you. What type of ATSer am I? 5years of lurking and just a short time posting....bil

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Overly simplified, generalizations of mind sets, that can be expressed by any one individual on a wide assortment of topics. If anyone human falls just into one of the types you have listed, they must be drones or something.

So please stop trying to organize people into little groups

i find this thread offensive to my brain, now i will rip a hole in space time

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

Thank you so much for posting the great links. We are new to ATS and were drawn here by a growing, uneasy feeling that we will soon need survival techniques such as the ones you have linked to. thank you very much for taking the time to try to help the uninformed. Sorry, I suppose I am off topic for the tread but just needed to say thank you.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
this is a great thread. amusing, insightful, and well thought out. It seem to me that forums such as ATS are gaining social importance in the current cultural climate. ATS is a place where people of all types can come together and discuss the variety of topics that are often taboo with friends,family, and coworkers. I am not sure where I fall in your spectrum, but I am happy to have become a member of ATS.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by GideonHM
Hmm, the Mulder eh?

I think that ending the description at "What else did the birdy say?" at the very least does not do Duchovny's character justice. He did do research, had much evidence to back up his claims, but his style of going about proof just doesn't sit well with a lot of CTs.

Mulder came from the poster he had, not from the work he did specifically. I thought it sounded better than the Posterers.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Mainer

Poster, as in "I want to believe"? Yes, that image has been contested for many years. Had that poster for a while, studied it, and looked a bit at copies of the original. Good stuff.

I agree, "I want to believe" really did speak of Mulder and his ambitions, but there was more to it. Look at how he behaved. Yes, anything could draw his interest, yet he went out into the field risking ridicule and death to discover the truth on his own.

People who will automatically accept anything supernatural, are just as likely to believe hoaxers here as they will scour Ebay looking for pancakes (or any other object) that vaguely resembles the Virgin Mary, Elvis, or what have you.
That does not fit the overall personality of what I consider would be a Mulder archetype. That's all.

It is what the person does with that open ended belief that I say makes the difference. Hence why I mentioned being a professional as a requirement. A soccer mom praying to a weird looking rust stain doesn't cut it, but certainly fills the requirement of many who will just accept whatever they see as supernatural or a conspiracy.

Perhaps "Misguided Believers" is a way to describe them. Mulder had touched upon something much bigger than himself, and hence why the show lasted as long as it did, and why we have a new movie on the way, even though the world didn't end in 2005 as the final episode stated. Yes, I am an X-Files fan, not rabid or anything, but it does explain my resistance to just calling every "Misguided Believer" a "Mulder".

Oh, by the way I happen to have some rust stains on canvas with a direct connection to the collective unconsciousness that I am more than willing to part with for oh say $15,000. Any takers? Otherwise I will be stuck selling them for the artwork I scribble over it and it just won't net me more than a few hundred. Or how about a potato chip that looks just like Chaka Khan?
Come on people! I know you believe!!

[edit on 22-7-2008 by GideonHM]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by GideonHM

Thank you for that description of what "Mulders'" really are.
I feel better now, knowing that someone else out there knows what we go through.

I Want to Believe....

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join