It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stunning Speach by Barack Obama.......

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   

must admit, from 5 mins, he said it like it needed to be said...

[edit on 20/7/2008 by shauny]

[edit on 20/7/2008 by shauny]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
As usual, the guy has a lot to say that's worth listening to.

He's pretty much right about what would have been the sensible strategy after 911. And contrary to the popular "talking point" among his detractors, when he speaks he's pretty specific about what he would do as President.

But I guess none of it makes for as good a silly argument as whether he's really a stealth Muslim or not

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I guess the first step in leading America is to blame America for 9/11 as Obama has done. What a shame. He is starting to show his anti-American side more and more all the time.

Michelle Malkin responded in a National Review Online piece, "Is this man for real? Osama bin Laden’s murderous legions are plenty able to 'imagine' the 'suffering of others.' Go watch an al-Qaeda beheading snuff video. Just Google it or surf YouTube. Imagining the suffering of infidels is covered amply in basic Jihadi Training 101.

Robert Spencer, director of the Jihad Watch website, noted, "Barack Obama, back in late September 2001, completely ignored Islam itself. He found the roots for Muslim terrorism not in Islam but in 'a climate of poverty and ignorance, helplessness and despair.'

"What Obama could not, and apparently cannot, allow himself to do is to investigate the nature of Islam, to find out what it teaches about Believers and Infidels. I can help out a bit. I can tell him, right now, right here, that Islam is based on a clear division of the universe between Believers and Infidels."

(Source

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet
I guess the first step in leading America is to blame America for 9/11 as Obama has done. What a shame. He is starting to show his anti-American side more and more all the time.

see instead of calling it "ANTI AMERICAN"
can we please call him "ANTI WAR"

bush openly called himself a "war president"

what if someone took over and REALLY wanted to change the way things are going, and at least frukin try !! to go for peace.

if you, or anyone else think Bush and Co have done our world any good, im sorry, but you, Sir, are partly to blame. you are one of the many fools who voted this evil man into power.

shame on you all for forgetting your human duty is to at least try and go for peace.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
There is no such thing as a Utopia Shauny.

There will always be war, get used to it. It's never going to change.

Obama wants to significantly reduce US military capabilities. With Russia and China building up at alarming rates, do you think this is wise to place all your trust into assuming there will be peace if we can just get them to like us?

Whether they like us or not Shauny, they are going to keep building those sophisticated weapons. The best way to avoid war is with strong deturrents. Remove those deturrents and terrible things happen.

Obama wants to remove those deturrents and assume that he is intelligent enough in getting countries to not carry on their hidden secret agendas.

They will keep on with these public and clandestine operations.

Did you know China's recent quake was attributed to Nuclear testing by several experts over in China? If this is fact, then they killed more of their own people many times over than those lost in the war surrounding Iraq and Afghanistan.

Obama's longtime friend domestic bomber Bill Ayers killed American women and children. He said he wished he would have killed more.

Is this a man your really want in office?

[edit on 21-7-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
He can READ what his people write real well but can he TALK on his own?
Who is going to tell obama what to do when he is president?
He has no experience running anything so how can he run the country. He has always worked for someone else and been told what to do.
The only paycheck he has ever received has been from taxpayers i.e. the government. Same with McCain.
Just another Bureaucrat.
All I want from the Government is to LEAVE ME ALONE!

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Well said, I thought.

And he's 100% right about the mistakes we made in the wake of 9/11. We have taken NO MEANINGFUL ACTION to safeguard our water, our fuel, our food, our borders, our ports, or our electrical grid. We are just as vulnerable as we were before 9/11, in terms of infrastructure - the only difference is that now we've got half the world enraged at us, and that is no kind of way to make a nation safe.

In my life I've always found that the key to winning a fight is to never get into it - to avoid it to the best of your ability. If conflict is absolutely unavoidable, you smash the adversary into the ground without mercy and without hesitation, and you take from them all capability to do harm. You utterly destroy them, leave them broken and incapable of any meaningful aggression. Then you go back to your business. Simple. Avoid conflict if at all possible, and end it swiftly and decisively when it's unavoidable.

We have done neither - we picked a fight, and now we don't seem intent on winning it. That's just stupid, and reckless, and it's gotten a lot of Americans killed (nevermind all the innocent Iraqi civilians who are now dead because of us).

What we should have done in the wake of 9/11 was seal off cockpit doors from the cabin on airliners, step up border patrols, devise and implement a system for screening all cargo coming into our ports, harden our water, electrical, fuel and food production, storage, and distribution systems.

We did none of that. We built bombs and missile defense and fighter jets to fight a non-existent enemy, and then we invaded a sovereign nation (two if you count Afghanistan, but that's questionable) and created new generations of terrorists.

We went of half-cocked, and accomplished nothing, except to make an even bigger mess, which we now have to find a way out of - I don't know if Obama is the man to lead us out of that mess, but someone has got to do it.

I'm not sure there even is a way out. We've spent trillions of dollars to fight an enemy that doesn't exist, while fostering and giving credence to an enemy we can barely find, nevermind fight, all while completely ignoring the safety of our citizens and the protection of our way of life here at home.

I cannot imagine how the POTUS and the Congress for the last eight years could have screwed up more, I really can't.

Honestly, I don't think Obama is for real - but I suppose there's always hope...

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Bejing

i agree in the "leave me alone" bit, i think its called freedom
are we free ?

talk about free ?
free to think ?
free to act ?
free of fear ?
free of being lied to ?

we aint as "free" as we think we are.

the point i am making is, we are all now caught up thinking like this.
my god, im as guilty as all you.

when we stop trying, when we accept, when our brains have been fed propaganda that much and we dont know whats right, we are in trouble people.

its time for change.
i dont want to be like this for the rest of my life, weary all the time, in fear of terrorism and war.

i want a world where i am 100% free, free to express ANY emotion i want.

maybe im just a dreamer, but dreams come true.

we have to believe that.

i understand the "get used to it" line.
why ? cos i am used to it

im just sick of it.

lets try something else.

50 years ago, if u had said there is a great chance that in 50 years there could be a black president, you would have been at the very least stabbed to death and ran over 20 times by a bus, or something.

look where we are
this could change things.
stop the hatred, the paranoia

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
It shouldn't be based on whether Obama should be the first Black President or not. It should be based on himself as a character in terms of qualifications with regard to trust.

The same could have been said for the first woman President. You'd be run over by a bus 20 times for saying it 50 years ago.

Though Hillary addressed the issues in a factual logical manner, she was still sold out by her party. Obama didn't address anything but preaching change, unity and hope. It is what makes people join cults.

You have to be realistic. You have to minimize the potential possibilities and risks.

Obama could be green for all I care. It doesn't matter. It is his actions that are showing his true character. He is always preaching one thing and then doing the opposite (i.e. The Patriot Act).

He's already lied and talked down to Americans this much and it isn't even the general election.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet
It shouldn't be based on whether Obama should be the first Black President or not.

i think the point i was trying to make was, change can happen.

things we cant dream of happening today, can, 100% happen tomorrow

who could have thought, that when people where there, listening to Martin Luther King, that in this day, a black man would be a cert to be president.
www.americanrhetoric.com...

change can happen when we believe it can happen.
when we give up hope, we surrender our freedoms

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   

things we cant dream of happening today, can, 100% happen tomorrow

If it's too good to be true, then it is. This is one truism that never fails. What Obama is preaching is much too good to be true.

Obama is half-White too, but somehow people seem to forget that. He would only be the first half-Black President. Jesse Jackson would have been the first true full Black President.

You shouldn't base Obama's electability on being Black. There will be other Black Candidates, as i'm sure, there will be other women Candidates provided the US still has free and open elections in the future.

Martin Luther King wanted equality. Blacks are more than getting their share of equality.

What about a Native American or Latino President? Why are Blacks always protrayed as being the most victemized. Again, race should not matter and factor into voting for him just because he is half-Black.

Look at the man's character associations with domestic bombers and known Terrorist organizations, anti-American Muslim Millionaires and so on.

If this were election about change in that respect, then Hillary should have been the first woman President as she earned it. She didn't try pulling the wool over your eyes. She told it like it is and how it has to be.

She has no choice now but to continue supporting the same party that sold her out in order to keep her career as Senator.

Obama should be straight with the American people instead of giving lame excuse after lame excuse for his Gaffes and anti-Americanism.

It is not the change American people should want. Change doesn't always mean for the better.

[edit on 21-7-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

We have done neither - we picked a fight, and now we don't seem intent on winning it.

Sorry, but isn't it funny that the people who have claimed all along that this war would only get worse, and we are going to lose it, are now saying that we don't seem "intent on winning it."?

I am intent on winning it.

But then again, I know many Marines on the ground, I don't just get my info from the MSM and ATS.

I do RESEARCH.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I don't think I like the idea of affirmative action being applied to the highest office in the government.

The person with the best qualifications should be elected - not the prettiest, not the most ethnic, not the one with ovaries. Rather, the American people need to, somehow, cast off the chaff strewn about by the media, and all the false promises all politicians make, and base their choice on merit - nothing more, nothing less.

In (at least) the last three election cycles, independents have been the best choice in terms of accountability, reason, plans, and solid track records of dignity and intelligence, but the American citizenry just can't seem to break free from the Red/Blue blizzard long enough to see the political terrain with clear eyes, and make a sound judgement.

Oh well - who was it that said a nation's citizens get the government they deserve?

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Sorry, but isn't it funny that the people who have claimed all along that this war would only get worse, and we are going to lose it, are now saying that we don't seem "intent on winning it."?

I don't know if it's funny - but I think you're missing the point. I was talking about Afghanistan, and Obama's comments on the subject in his speech.

I am intent on winning it.

Are you talking about Afghanistan, Iraq, or the global WOT?

It doesn't really matter unless you're the commander in chief, does it?

Good soldiers shoot who they're told to shoot, hump where they're told to hump, and generally follow orders. If their orders are to set up isolated firebases and go on patrol with no clear mission, trying to weed out an enemy from in amongst the general population, while trying in vain to preempt attacks committed by a very slippery, asymetrical enemy..well then that's what they do. Intent on winning the war, sure - but does it matter what you intend? Well fought, but unless the political will to put our boot on the bad guy's neck waxes in Washington, it's all for naught.

Wait, which war are we talking about? Are we fighting in the jungle or the desert? That's the only way I can discern between Vietnam and Iraq, seriously. Otherwise they are IDENTICAL.

Sorry for the let down, I know no soldier wants to hear that, but it's a fact. Fight as hard as you're able, it won't make a damn bit of difference if scumbag politicians reign you in before you can finish the job, and then arm, train, and support the next batch of bad guys.

Honorable soldiers only ever fight for peace. If you fight for money you're a mercenary. So are you fighting for peace, and being realistic about the chances of that happening with the current military strategy in place, and our foreign policy (which can be summed up in a sign language gesture by extending the middle finger and waving it around)? Please...

It's profitable for the businessmen and politicians, but what's in it for the soldiers, besides glory and one small-ish check a month?

What matters is that while the soldiers on the ground pay the ultimate price, the fat bastards up on the hill twiddle their fingers and argue amongst themselves, fighting over which of your legs to pull on, all the while stuffing their pockets and the pockets of their business connections with vast sums of money. What's your pay grade, compared to the money being made by the contractors who sell you dirty water, faulty arms, and horrible tasting food? How about your pay compared to the guys exploiting the oil?

But then again, I know many Marines on the ground, I don't just get my info from the MSM and ATS.

I do RESEARCH.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

You are quoting Michelle Malkin......ugh.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I remember how united the country was after 9/11. I felt PROUD. We were ONE. We weren't fighting about stupid stuff among ourselves. When Obama said, "Imagine what we COULD HAVE DONE..." That just makes me want to cry. All that love and compassion and unity and PRIDE in our country... It was used to start the war in Iraq. We were hoodwinked using our own emotion...

"We could have invested hundreds of billions of dollars in alternative sources of energy."

Excellent speech! Thanks for posting it.

Hey Wyrde.
Nice post. And I believe there is hope. I get bashed for it all the time, but until Obama proves to me that he's full of it, I'm going to hope. It's not a popular position here, but it isn't the first time I've been in the minority on ATS.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Is there a transcript of the speech available somewhere? I started watching it last night and fell right asleep. I guess my attention span just isn't what it used to be..

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
...What we should have done in the wake of 9/11 was seal off cockpit doors from the cabin on airliners...

Actually, I had naively believed that the airlines had already done this way before 9/11, after all the highjackings from decades before. Then I find out that airlines found it too costly to do this. As the old saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Curious George has stunned the nation with this speech.... me thinks......

He is quite the orator.... impressive.

I still am scared by him, he's way too liberal.... too bad he's so flippin charismatic and easy to follow!

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Text of Speech

There you go, Lloyd.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join