It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you marry your cousin?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Awaits the cleverness of a beating...reply soon...hahaha, oh and btw..that empty chat i go to, that no one else seems to be able to...its no fun with out the random..miss ya..

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by EverythingYouDespise

I have to agree with this, on every point, including not getting married.

It seems most people are disgusted by the idea of relationships with relatives, not because they truly think its disgusting and wrong, but because society has told them what to believe.

I'm not one to tell people who to be attracted to or love, and I would expect others to treat me the same.

Personally, my family isn't winning any beauty contests anytime soon, so I'd have to say no to the question of whether I would marry a cousin, or anyone in the family.

However, if that weren't the case, I wouldn't actively seek marriage with a relative like people in some families do, but I wouldn't close myself off to the possibility simply because its a relative.

I don't think it matters if you're related. Sure, the children will come out dysfunctional. But if its a relationship that doesn't want children, why not? Who are we to say who people can and cannot be with? I don't think its any of our business.

The only thing I'd suggest to people like that is: keep it to yourself. No one cares, nor needs to hear it. Its a private matter.

[edit on 7/23/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
wow I think that is a bit sick. It feels like asking would you marry your mum even when its her sister's kids.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Personally, I wouldn't do it for 2 very important reasons:

1) My wife would probably object.

2) Most of my cousins are male and the few female cousins I have were not only hit by the ugly stick while eating a big bowl of ugly soup, they had the whole ugly tree fall on them.

If those two reasons didn't exist, I really can't say if I would or not. I suppose it would depend on how far removed they were. It would still be no for at least the first cousins, and probably the second cousins too, but third and fourth cousins would probably be far enough removed from the bloodline to avoid reinforcing negative genetic traits.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
interesting discussion. I thought I was the only one who gave this some thought.

And...I am not sure. I think it wouldn't be a good idea if you want to have children. But without children as a factor, I don't really know. I agree, if you do it, it's something you'd want to keep to yourself and move far away from anyone who knows you and your cousin/sibling ARE cousin/sibling.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Well I was in a relationship with my cousin, so I'm not against it.

Plus our type of relationship wouldn't create deformed babies. 8)

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
hmmm i dont really get grossed out by it, so maybe I would, for love. Problem is, there are lots of good looking people in my family but no one I like that much lol.

[edit on 18-8-2008 by raven bombshell]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
never, never, never.

it would be just too damn awkward. and kinda sick too.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
It doesn't gross me out one bit. The ramifications of procreation with a close relative scares the life out of me but the idea of marrying a relative doesn't phase me. I didn't do it but if someone else does trust me I won't judge so long as they have a good reason...such as love

Besides...who am I to tell peopel they are wrong for findign a sibling or cousin attractive or go far enough to do whatever they may do with them.

-Kyo

[edit on 18-8-2008 by KyoZero]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Camilo1
Being a redneck might increase the odds.

Seriously, just the thought of it makes me sick

both my aunt and my cousin want to date me, i dont think i actually would though because they are both digusting. no joke. i went to go hang out with them one time and did not even do anything but get food and everyone was yelling inbreader.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by raven bombshell

hmmm i dont really get grossed out by it, so maybe I would, for love. Problem is, there are lots of good looking people in my family but no one I like that much lol.

[edit on 18-8-2008 by raven bombshell]

i always thought dateing a family member is what you do when you cant get a girlfriend.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Scarlett Johanson

Well, I am not looking for a girlfriend, nor do i go to family reunions looking for a date, lol. Most people can find dates outside thier family, IMO. That is why I think it must be love if they do commit incest.

Why you taking their food if your aunt and cousin are gross?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by raven bombshell
reply to post by Scarlett Johanson

Well, I am not looking for a girlfriend, nor do i go to family reunions looking for a date, lol. Most people can find dates outside thier family, IMO. That is why I think it must be love if they do commit incest.

Why you taking their food if your aunt and cousin are gross?
because they sit there and harrase me all day continiously. it never stops and it is driving me insane. i would go to jail for a very long time if i ever did anything that stupid. and it makes me look bad. even my grandma is like you pull this crap you'll go to jail and i am like im not doing anything its them.

i found this on wikipedia.

Incest is sexual activity between closely related persons (often within the immediate family) that is illegal or socially taboo.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I think wikipedia is a nice jumping off point but I wouldn't always hold it to be truth. What defines close?

I'd watch the papers because right now the incest law is being fought alot. Some are arguing the 14th Amendment of the US Constituion has bearing on the subject in that it protects consenting adults in sexual activities.

I dunno...again...I may not do it but it doesn't phase me

-Kyo

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Interesting discussion

I once and met a very attractive man. We talked, and he found me very attractive too.

We had lots of things in common, enjoyed each other's humor, and a great conversation overall.

We exchanged numbers and decided to hang out; movie, dinner

And guess what?

We met at a family reunion.

Don't get weirded out by that. We didn't sleep together or 'officially date'. My point was that attraction is attraction, and the only reason that society deems some types of attraction as 'weird' is because of religion and culture.

As long as there are mutual, consenting adults involved (no children, no rape), then lets face it and admit that attraction is natural. When its there, we only suppress it, not make it go away

Think about it: say you go to a bar and meet a nice person of the opposite sex (or same sex, if you are homosexual) that you find extremely attractive.

Conversation ensues and you both decide that you want to you want to continue to see each other....perhaps you may even 'hook-up' one night.

Say 2 years later, you both have fallen in love and then decide to visit a relative on either their side or yours.

The relative winds up stating that you two are actually related.

Honestly, does the attraction stop? Does the love turn from 'romantic' to 'family-love' in that instant?
edit on 26-3-2012 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
When I was 16, a really cute guy asked me out. We went to the same school and were in the same grade and I just really thought he was hot. Later that day, my mother asked me if I had plans for the weekend because she and my dad wanted to go somewhere. I said I had a date, and she asked with who. I told her, and you should have seen the look on her face. Very quietly she said, "Go to your room." What!?! I was like, "Why??? Is he an axe murderer or something?" and she told me not to argue, to just do it and she'd "deal with me later" as she was digging out her address book. Well, I was sitting on the landing and I heard her on the phone. "Shirley, do you know who your son just asked out?" Long pause. "I don't think the Church would allow that." (We're talking Catholics here.) Long pause. "Tell him not to do it again."

It turned out that he was my cousin. Second cousin--but still a cousin. Neither one of us had any idea at all. My mom said, "He has the same last name as your grandmother. How could you not know?" Yeah, like "Smith" isn't a common name or anything, right? Naturally, we were forbidden to date. When my mom told me that I couldn't help but say, "But...but...but...I like him!" And my mom said too bad, that's the way it is, deal with it, we left Kentucky two generations ago.

To this day my cousin and I still laugh about that.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Mine are ginger...Enough said really.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by UFOpsychiczebra

Although legal, and sometimes encouraged by some social classes and groups, is it wrong to marry your cousin? Would you marry your cousin if you loved them romantically? Or would you feel uncomfortable with the closeness of relations?

Depends...if you are talking first cousin...no. I wouldn't want any flipper grandkids.

Other cousins though...no biggie. I have a second cousin who's pretty cute
...but I'm married to my soulmate, so no dice.

I think if you looked it up, you'd be surprised how many people in history were married to their cousins, and not just royalty and nobles....

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The thought of being intimate with anybody I'm related to by blood seems repulsive to me.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Lol personally i would never marry my cousin. I mean even if i felt that way about my cousin i would realize that surely there are other people in the world that are less embarrassing for me to fall in love with.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join