It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adderall and the like used to dumb down the next generation?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
its sad they give this to children, adderal is basically amphetamine. wash the dextro off......lol
our children shouldnt be taking this stuff, it winds u up, i know my son dont need winded up. see a shrinks theroy is wind them up and burn them out, which i think is VERY LAME, id never do that to my son, ADD is cured by DISIPLINE, if your child is suffering from add, it means your disipline system needs overhauled. i have the same add type problems, but im very stern with my son, everyone yells at him, i dont. so when i yell at him he respects it, cause he dont always hear me screaming, he takes it very seriously if i do, ive never had to paddle him, well i did once, felt like # though, after doing it. so i try to just use the CALM chilled out mode and explaining to my son" now why are you doing that??" ill ask him, and ill try to get a logical answer from him, ill keep pokeing and prodding him until i get a logical answer, i try to flip the senario so he sees himself how hes acting, it works to.

i know all children are differnt, but not entirely. children are a vaccum to whats around them, they do what there tought really, its very important what you show ur kids also.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
A medical system thats run like a business will only encourage
a system of profits

make them sick they will pay

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by italkyoulisten

You're idiotic. I find it offensive. It does exist and there are brain scans for it, it is just entirely impractical because it involves inserting a radioactive chemical into people's brains and doing an MRI. I am one of those VERY few people who have it (ADHD is completely and ridiculously over diagnosed) and I have had those MRI's done. What was found is that I have about half of the dopaminergenic neurons a normal person should have as well as little to no blood circulation to my frontal lobes. So please do a little more research before presenting something fictitious as factual.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Great post.

Do you think it's just ADHD medications or other medications as well?

I'm on Risperdal (atypical antipsychotic) and since starting it, I've felt like I've lost words, or that they're there but I can't find them when I'm trying to speak or write... a definite feeling of being "dumbed down".

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by xhorrorgasmx

I know that some antidepressants I've been on have as a side effect "tip-of-the-tongue" syndrome. But this is different from being "dumbed down" – it's not that I've become less intelligent or able to think, it's just that I temporarily can't think of a specific word. If that's what you're talking about, and if it bothers you, you should talk to your psychiatrist about it. For me, a slight decrease in one medication made it go from a constant issue (at least once every hour struggling to come up with a really basic word and having to use a description instead) to only occasional.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by noone81

see a shrinks theroy is wind them up and burn them out, which i think is VERY LAME

that is not a shrinks theory - it's not anybody's theory - except maybe yours

ADD is cured by DISIPLINE

no - it's not

I'd be very interested to hear your explanation of what you think ADD/ADHD is

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by italkyoulisten

I'd like to suggest that quoting from Natural News - while not wrong - is not exactly unbiased

how much have you researched outside of this one source?

the link with specifics to the drugs lists the side effects - all drugs have side effects - even insulin

they're required to list them as possible side effects - but that doesn't mean they're likely

Children 3 to 5!! On amphetamines! This is the same as giving a three year old speed!

it is exactly like giving a three year old speed. Exactly. Do you wonder why they do it?

that's the part you haven't covered

I have reservations myself about diagnosing and prescribing

but don't throw the baby out with the bath water - these drugs have helped many children and adults

as has been mentioned - it's speed - aren't you just a little curious about why anyone would prescribe speed for someone who's already a little revved up and distracted?

there's a reason

not picking a fight - just trying to fill in a gap or two

it has to do with many things I'm not qualified to explain - I wish there were someone available here who might do it right - but let's just keep it simple

impulse control and the ability to focus and plan happen in certain parts of the brain - if those parts don't communicate effectively the mind doesn't function optimally and a child is left at a disadvantage when trying to perform certain tasks - like sit still and learn - among others

if you think this isn't really important - think of everything you do in a day - or in an hour even - that requires your ability to focus and follow through. From picking out your clothes to driving your car - and parking.

You think not following instructions sounds like a ridiculous clue - but that's just it - it is a clue.

And if your brain can't do something as simple as this - so simple that you think it's almost impossible to not be able to do it, such a common skill you can't even imagine what it's like to not be able to do it - well just imagine how this inability might affect your child's entire education - and future.

the drugs are not prescribed to dope up unruly children - they are given so that the brain can function a certain way - allowing the child/person to think and function the way they need to

I have some issues myself with the pharmaceutical industry - but - what is the real likelihood that all this medication would be handed out to children in such a willy-nilly manner?

what looks like over prescribing and misdiagnosis I think should be a real discussion - because there is no test that can tell you exactly. It could be diagnosed more and more frequently because it's better understood now than in years past - just that simple

whether or not it's on the rise - I have no idea

but, while they might not know the exact causes yet - there is evidence that points to some environmental factors - for instance - smoking while pregnant

there is also very real physical evidence that the brains of children with ADD are different from those without - brain scans show this very clearly

it never pays to overreact before we know all the facts - and there's more to this subject than has been presented here

top topics

<< 1   >>

join