It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is my 7 year old daughter being prepped for disclosure by her school?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by proof_tracey
I would like to add that I myself as a parent, have raised my kids around paranormal ideas. They are used to it. They even go ghost hunting and sky-watching with me. They don't freak out at the idea of the otherworldly. They are used to it.
I think this is a neat thread, I asked my youngest son who is 10. He says no they haven't mentioned it in school (we live in the US) ... if anything he tells peeps what I do, I write about and investigate the paranormal.

I completely agree with your comments, and that if the paranormal is treated as something to be studied scientifically and not something to be feared that it can be fun for kids.

My reaction was based on my fear for the child, not so much on my opinions, but seeing the child's reaction was fear; and, I might add, unnecessary and in the end, not diffused when the teacher apprehended her reaction. Maybe she overlooked that aspect?

Having said that, I also think that if the paranormal -were- real, that it would be a lot grittier and a lot more fearful than people think.

If ghosts were real, and aliens were real, we'd see a lot of actual psychic damage and probably have already had a world plague due to alien microbes.

So keep in mind that while Bigfoot hunting is 'fun', getting dressed up in camo gear and playing with technology is fun, if there really was a chance of encountering G. Blacki we would be ill-prepared for the carnage.

This just underlines the 'fear of the unknown' aspect which may have been provoked in the child. There's no need to provoke unnecessary fear which can't be countered, we already have real things which require real coping skills and I think that's partly a matter of education, and parental responsibility.

There's little need to traumatize our youngsters prematurely. They are already required to grow up too quickly. I certainly don't approve of many of the things they'd teach in schools these days, including premature sexualization, and psychic punishment for those who don't conform. If the teachers are going out on the fringe like this I think parents should have some options to decide to opt out.

2 cents.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I'm reminded of this novel. In fact I hadn't though about it in years up until a few months ago. I seem to recall my girlfriend mentioning that Arthur C. Clarke visited with FDR but no simple Google search brings up immediate information about it; I just did a quick check. She was doing some pretty heavy NWO looking at the time so I imagine it's probably correct as I recall that's the whole reason the novel came to mind in the first place since I wanted her to read it.

I didn't check the entire thread so I apologize in advance if it's been mentioned already.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
As an ex-teacher the worksheets, to me, just appear to be standard curriculum worksheets.

The maths sheet has aliens/ufos on it as a way of brightening it up for the kids. There are thousands of sheets like this all with different pictures on - animals, sports, cars, boats, etc. Pure coincidence that this one had aliens.

The sheet imagining what would you do if an alien landed is part of a series asking what would you do in loads of different circumstances designed to get the kids imagination flowing but also to get to them to think about real issues. Some are serious - what would you do if your friend fell off a bike and hurt themselves, designed to get the children to seriously consider some circumstances they might face in life while others are fun. What would you do if you saw a shark in the river etc.

Don't forget that the makers of educational resources often cash in on popular culture. For the first half of the 00s we were swamped with resources featuring witches and wizards. Was it a disclosure plan to educate the children in the ways of dark arts and magic? Of course not it was the makers using the popularity of Harry Potter to engage the children. For the last few years the shift has moved from Harry Potter to the current kids favourite Doctor Who. There’s loads of stuff now about UFO’s, aliens and time travel etc. Nothing sinister just companies cashing in on something that’s popular.

As for the teacher boldly proclaiming about an alien landing – I’m sceptical. She’s new to the profession she won’t want to step out of line like that. In the past I’ve looked at journalism with the kids – we had a computer program that would run for 4 hours and flash up fake breaking news. At the end of the day the kids had to produce news reports on the fictional stories that had broken – what was one of them… a UFO landing!

Perhaps the teacher was actually doing something like this, and the children mistook fiction for fact. It’s easily done in a child’s mind.

If she was genuinely stating her beliefs then it’s a concern. We’re encouraged to share our personality with kids, our likes & dislikes and hobbies so we’re seen as human but I feel sharing your belief that aliens are about to land is taking it a tad far!

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I don't have much to add to what has already been said, but I do believe this case is worthy of our consideration. I can understand the use of aliens and UFOs as fun ways of learning, but the questions - "What would you do if a UFO landed in the playground?" - seem fairly suspicious to me. How is that applicable to a 7-year-old? I can understand the importance of asking a child what they'd do if someone offered them sweets, as this has a feasible chance of happening.

As others have said, I'd just keep a very, very close eye on the situation to see how it develops. Then perhaps in 6 months, if nothing further happens relating to UFOs, casually engage the teacher in question about the relevance of this homework.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by scobro
reply to post by proof_tracey

Hi.

My daughter gave me the story just a few days ago.
She claims,the teacher told the class this info just before they broke up for the holidays.
The worksheets appeared a couple of months ago,maybe a couple of weeks apart.

Hope this helps.

Thanks whole bunches, I appreciate it :-)

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01

I would like to add that I myself as a parent, have raised my kids around paranormal ideas. They are used to it. They even go ghost hunting and sky-watching with me. They don't freak out at the idea of the otherworldly. They are used to it.
I think this is a neat thread, I asked my youngest son who is 10. He says no they haven't mentioned it in school (we live in the US) ... if anything he tells peeps what I do, I write about and investigate the paranormal.

I completely agree with your comments, and that if the paranormal is treated as something to be studied scientifically and not something to be feared that it can be fun for kids.

My reaction was based on my fear for the child, not so much on my opinions, but seeing the child's reaction was fear; and, I might add, unnecessary and in the end, not diffused when the teacher apprehended her reaction. Maybe she overlooked that aspect?

Having said that, I also think that if the paranormal -were- real, that it would be a lot grittier and a lot more fearful than people think.

If ghosts were real, and aliens were real, we'd see a lot of actual psychic damage and probably have already had a world plague due to alien microbes.

So keep in mind that while Bigfoot hunting is 'fun', getting dressed up in camo gear and playing with technology is fun, if there really was a chance of encountering G. Blacki we would be ill-prepared for the carnage.

This just underlines the 'fear of the unknown' aspect which may have been provoked in the child. There's no need to provoke unnecessary fear which can't be countered, we already have real things which require real coping skills and I think that's partly a matter of education, and parental responsibility.

There's little need to traumatize our youngsters prematurely. They are already required to grow up too quickly. I certainly don't approve of many of the things they'd teach in schools these days, including premature sexualization, and psychic punishment for those who don't conform. If the teachers are going out on the fringe like this I think parents should have some options to decide to opt out.

2 cents.

lol I guess it's a good thing that our little dude wasn't with us when we did encounter something *paranormal*... and taped it as well. If can ever come up with the extra 65 bucks I am gonna have it transferred to wmv so I can upload it lol. Thanks for your reply and your great input. :-)

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

lol I guess it's a good thing that our little dude wasn't with us when we did encounter something *paranormal*... and taped it as well. If can ever come up with the extra 65 bucks I am gonna have it transferred to wmv so I can upload it lol. Thanks for your reply and your great input. :-)

That would be cool. Looking forward to it.

Having the little dude with you for a fun paranormal thing would be part of those 'life lessons'. The parental units are a kind of safety buffer, and even if there's some fear, you help interpret it. He's not on his own.

But you wouldn't have him accompany you into one of those Sci-Fi channel shows where a family of adults and older kids go into a castle to be 'scared' and do a challenge, right? It would be too intense at that age and we all know the TV production staff is operating the noises and moans and falling things. That's a 'fake' fear, and mongering, imo, that kids don't need at a very young age.

In fact some of the adult girls who did those 'reality' shows appeared to have ended up scarred for life.

Now this is a little different than a coloring book and an irresponsible teacher, but you never know. I recall being a fearless kid, used to going into the woods day or night, until one evening, my grandmother told me 'don't go in the front yard after dark or the Boogie Man will get you'.

I became unnaturally fearful of the dark after that (I was about 6 or 7). She wanted to prevent me from wandering out of the yard into the street, but I wish she had just said 'stay back from the street'. I could have handled the idea of a speeding car.

But for some reason, I knew my trusted Grandmother wouldn't 'invent' a monster; so my child mind probably reasoned it was true; I don't know.

It stuck with me into my early teens, and I feel if she hadn't said that at an impressionable age, I'd have been spared an unnecessary phobia.

Odd, how we remember those things that happened so long ago, huh? But I can still picture that night and the yard and the tree and the streetlight which suddenly became transformed into something malevolent. She wasn't being mean - it probably was a common way to get kids to comply.

Anyway, yeah, looking forward to your posting something.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by scobro

I think the "what would you do?" "would you do something different?" thing is really to gauge how well children are conforming to a mob mentality. They have to identify the creative thinkers, the outlyers, the independent ones. The school, the system, TPTB want to know who the potential "problem" children are, the one's who will raise their voice above the fray and state something contradictory and/or confusing to the other children. It's a Psych tactic.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by scobro

Im looking forward to further developments on this OP
When does the school year start? I hope you will be keeping us up to date!

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SleeplessInUS

Hi.

Late August is when they go back to school.
If there are any further developements i will be sure to keep you all updated.

I have decided not to press my daughter further on the subject,at least until she returns to school,or she comes to me with it.
This way ,i can check for any discrepancies.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Sounds smart. Im sure, as with most kids, the more they are pressed for information - the more they will 'provide' information that will keep you happy and start making things up. Gotta love em!

Will check back here in Aug and keep you flagged

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
this is very interesting. It would be cool if it was true, but by next july you mean july of 2009, right? Well I have been having different feelings lately and I think that something big will happen sooner then that, but it could be just a feeling. Who knows time will tell.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Great idea to suggest these posts a form is nothing without content.Science is catching up to a point where metaphysical topics & new age phenomena are now being proven to be true. What was once mystical is now factual.I now live the crazy life in one of the worlds most amazing cities HONG KONG! During a flight to Colombo one evening the Captain and I observed a very strange and bright light out over the Indian ocean.

Mike vutler

WideCircles

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
It is really interesting to hear about this.UFO is a very interesting topic in which all seems to have interest and curiosity but an child of age 7 showing interest in really amazing and strange.
-----
Ann
WideCircles

[edit on 31-8-2008 by Annjob]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
hi scobro

just wondering did you find any thing out from the school now that they are back!?

MM

peace

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by meremortal

Hi.

No new info as of yet,but they have only been back a couple of weeks.
Probably not right into the swing of things yet.
Have'nt had any unusual worksheets home yet,but i will keep my eyes open for them.

Interestingly enough,but the last month or so before the break,they were learning heavily about ancient Eygpt and the pyramids!

Probably unrelated but it seemed a little strange as they have been taught nothing about Scottish history yet!

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
thanks for the repy , yeh keep your eyes peeled!

when i was a kid in school in england we were never taught about the irish history, the irish kids are taught about british history!

egyptians and the pyramids? mmmmm

as long as they are not read the nephilum and the pyramid of the apocalypse as a bed time story!

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join