It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grand Canyon's Tunnel to The Underworld

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Once again, this is a sacred place to native peoples, and if anyone would actually plan to go there for curiosity's sake, I would encourage extreme caution and deference, if not actively discourage such an adventure from the start. It is on Navajo land, and I am certain that if anyone was out there at the time they would be extremely unhappy to find some random white adventurers treading all over their holy of holies.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by MillionEyedMask
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

The sipapu in the floor of every kiva represents the portal out of which the Hopi people emerged after being sheltered inside the earth during the cataclysms that ended the first and second worlds in their mythology. That portal is now a sacred place to the Hopi and Navajo, and the destination of many pilgrimages. Only tribal people are allowed to go there. No white man has ever been. But the white man's satellites can see it just fine. There it is on Google Maps.

Yeah, i am familiar with the Hopi legends (any self respecting CTer has to be at least casually familiar, right?). I am just asking for clarification. Is this THE sipapu? Or claimed to be such?

Why would the Navajo not encourage some study of the area, to help define their heritage a little better? I am not very "religious", so those concepts just seem foreign to me.

RE: the "holy of holies" comment....that is one heck of a good pun, even if it wasn't intended. I am far to fat to try to make such a journey. Well, old and out of shape. I would have to bring Arthur Itis along with me, and he would make it impossible.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Well, granted I can't be 100% certain that this is the true Sipapu of legend, as I have not been there in person to see if it is in fact a portal to a mythical underworld, but after quite a bit of time spent researching the topic, I do feel fairly certain this is the great sipapu which is the destination of Hopi and Navajo pilgrimages. Its location matches the most specific reports I've found, which indicate that it's near where the Colorado meets the Little Colorado... plus it's a 100-foot, perfectly circular anthill on the bank of the river in a completely inaccessible location. What else might this be if not the sipapu? I would love to go there myself, but I am hesitant to trespass on tribal land out of both fear and respect. But if any truly rash adventurers wanted to make that journey, I'm sure we'd all be captivated to hear about it.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
This has to be one of my most favorite threads on ATS, now I'm so curious toawhat exactly lies in and under that land. Speculation from worldly cultures, to precious treasure and energies to aliens? It apppears the nearest city is Grand Canyon Village, which seems to be around 50 miles away. If you want to traverse those lands and do studies, it would take a bunch of time and resources.

I figure you'd need a team of 10
a few Off-road SUV's
bunch of food supply
communications
emergency supplies
and make yourself appear as peaceful as possible.

Anybody know how the natives in the area have treated explorers? with violent aggression?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by eLPresidente

Following further research, it seems that the Sipapu is a destination known to people outside the local tribes.

www.jimmyakin.org...

Supposedly the feature is a natural travertine dome around a hot spring, but this explanation seems somewhat suspect to me. There are no other such domes nearby, and its location just there on the riverbank as well as its perfectly symmetrical structure do not seem natural. It looks for all the world like a giant anthill, and given the Ant People mentioned in the Hopi oral tradition, this similarity is extremely intriguing.

The Hopi are historically a peaceful people. The Navajo, not always quite so. The Sipapu is on Navajo land, but it is a destination of pilgrimage for the Hopi as well. Of course it is unlikely that anyone would just happen to be there at the time if someone did make the trek. But it is sacred land, and as it under the jurisdiction of tribal sovereignty, the Navajo nation could legally ban non-natives from the entire Little Colorado canyon if they considered someone's trespassing there a desecration.

If someone still wanted to go, I would think the best way to get there would be to raft or hike from the El Tovar area. It's about 40 miles upriver from there, and then around a three or four mile hike along the Little Colorado. The area is known for flash floods, so extreme caution would be urged.

This is also near the purported location of the caves found in 1909. That would certainly be worth looking into... you know, if one could avoid getting arrested by the military police.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
The Sipapu exists and it is the most powerful place I've been to on earth. I went, in late October on a drizzling cold day, and that was the only time I feel I was allowed. I started out at The Gap, Az and traveled following a map that was made for me by my roomate at NAU (Northern Arizona University). He is a powerful Navaho man now, but then, he told me that he felt it would be good that I should visit the place of the Hopi emmergence. I was young, and I thought of myself as very spiritual. My roomate told me that this place is claimed by many of the Hopi people to be the entry to this, the Fourth World, from the Third. He told me not to enter the sacred hole until I had fasted and was certain there was no food in my system for at least two days. It took three days of running and hiding as he said he could not give me or get me permission to go. Those who have been, know the way and it is not too difficult to find if you seek it. I have been told that it is not right to share the location.

On the third morning of my fast, I was hiding in an overhang above the Sipapu. I watched for several hours, then went to the top of the Canyon to see if there were any signs of others. A little after noon, when I was fairly certain I was alone, I approached the Sacred Portal. Ages of dissolved solids in the exhalations of the gas from the water had made a large pasty flesh colored dome contiguous to the river, somewhat irregular but resembling an semi- hemisphere of an ovoid about 75' in circumfernce and maybe 15' high with there being another 4' to 6' to the river water level from the uphill side. There were several ways to get to the top, so I removed all my clothes and boots, placed them in a neat pile then climbed to the top from the East. By the time I reached the top, my head was beginning to spin and I felt little connection to my body. Still, I was able to manipulate it and, feet first, entered the hole in the top which was an irregular shaped "O" about 4' in average diameter. The ledges inside the hole appeared to emmulate this "O" but in ever increasing diameters. Once my entire body was below the opening, I stopped, closed my eyes and said a prayer to spirits that seemed indifferent to me, but made their presences known. When I completed my prayer which took a minute or so, I don't remember other than it was a while, I opened my eyes to a golden light, felt a little less dizzy and felt then felt the stinging of the carbonated air in my nostrils. I had to climb down about eight feet to the top of the water level, the stinging in my nostrils intensifying with each foot of descent.. This water level was perched about 10' above the river level. In the small open cavern over the water were six prayer sticks with what looked like Red Tail Hawk feathers adorning them, tied with rawhide and laced with multi-colored beads. In addition there were other feathers from birds of prey. The air temperature was surprisingly warm, and the water itself felt tepid. As I began to submerge my toes, the effervescence was overwhelming. I did not withdraw, but instead, continued to climb down into the water despite its intense tingling. With the submergence came a measured bubbling and hissing that was perceptibly displacing the oxygen. Still, I was able to continue, without discomfort, until I was submerged to my chin. I had to hold on to the ledges as my body had negative bouyancy. I surmised the gas concentration was so great that if I let go, I would sink. No, I concluded I fall slowly at first, accelerating gently but endlessly. I slowly inhaled and exhaled several times, and began to climb down below the surface. I could hold my body from descending with one finger, but if I let go, I would sink. Downward I descended, not feeling fear nor elation. There was a luring desire to keep going down, but the pressure was not increasing like normal water on my eardrums. I gave myself a few more seconds on the descent, then began climbing back up. I tried to open my eyes but the water stung them too much to keep them open. I did, however see the light coming in from above and realized I was more than 25 feet down. There was no panic, just deliberate movement to get to the top. When I reached the surface, I continued to hold my breath until the top of my head protruded out of the hole. I took a measured breath and was astonished to find that I was not needing the desparate breaths of a drowning swimmer. I took many more deep breaths, as I descended again, only deeper. The visions I had were many and very personal, but they were to guide me the rest of my life. When I departed the Sipapu, I was not cold. I put my clothes on, thanked the spirits and returned to my home a changed man.

I joined this thread to share this experience with those of you whom I feel could live it vicariously. I apologize to anyone who feels this was not right, but I have no regrets, no guilt. Thanks

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I just measured the current circumference at nearly 300 with a diameter of 80'. Funny what 45 years does to your memory.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The Navajo, though ancestral enemies of the Hopi, have guarded the Sipapu out of a time-honored respect of the reverence the Hopis' hold for the spiritual significance of the site. I would think the Navajo powers that be have to hold great significance for the power of the site, too. I would not deem it prudent to underestimate it and certainly would not want to be close to it with someone who would disparage its power.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join