It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Because It's Your Opinion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
In NO way makes it a fact.

Now with that being said, let me make my point. (I know I know get on with it huh?)

During this political season, just like all the other before this one, emotions run high, opinions are formed and battle lines are drawn.

We need to all take a step back every once in awhile and consider this:

Just because it is our opinion, does not make it a fact.

Nope not even mine..

All over ATS I read again and again member posting opinion and stating it is a fact.

Some examples are:

1. President Bush is a criminal. Opinion not fact
In order to be a criminal one must have committed a crime and that MUST be proved. (Not what you THINK you know; FACTS) That has not happened, so that statement is either an opinion, or a lie.

2. Obama is not a U.S. Citizen. Pure gobbly-gook
Well of course he is. Don't you think that the RNC checked that out first?

3. Obama is a Muslim. Opinion not Fact
He says he is a Christian and as religious beliefs are personal things, we must take him at what he says.

It just goes on and on and on. Unsubstantiated rumors and opinions passed off as factual evidence.

All that this does is give the lingering impression that the member can not be trusted.

Now it is perfectly fine to post your opinion; just remember to always let people know it is your opinion and that you are NOT passing it off as a fact when it is not.

Semper

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
"We cling to our own point of view, as though everything depended on it. Yet our opinions have no permanence; like autumn and winter, they gradually pass away."
-- Chuang Tzu

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

you forget to mention that this was your opinion, sometimes though, when someone has an opinion it turns out to be fact.....and that is a fact. you must be bored, or lonely....

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by pureevil81

Not bored or lonely my friend...

But as that is your OPINION, I will defend it as such.

Also remember that sometimes when one has a growth, it turns out to be benign also. But it is a good idea to get the FACTS before hand.

Semper

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
well, what IS substantiated is Obama and McCain are both anti american (as it was MEANT to be). all the rest..... their race, cheating, pill popping, not wearing flag pins or saluting, being a step cousin to the lord of dark, whatever stupid irrelevant smear campaing either comes up with, well, all of that goes straight into the garbage!!

expansion of gov't, raising of txes, suspending the bringing home of our troops, no real fix to the economic crises on our doorstep, more vague laws that will bite us in the arse, erasing of individuality, putting more stipulations on our right to bear arms and our right to free speech..... these are my concerns and these should be each of your concerns.

no need to settle for the "lesser of two evils" ya know.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Thanks Semper; well balanced.

Criminal
1. of the nature of or involving crime.
2. guilty of crime.
3. Law. of or pertaining to crime or its punishment: a criminal proceeding.
4. senseless; foolish: It's criminal to waste so much good food.
5. exorbitant; grossly overpriced: They charge absolutely criminal prices.
–noun
6. a person guilty or convicted of a crime.

dictionary.reference.com...

Crime
1. an action or an instance of negligence that is deemed injurious to the public welfare or morals or to the interests of the state and that is legally prohibited.
2. criminal activity and those engaged in it: to fight crime.
3. the habitual or frequent commission of crimes: a life of crime.
4. any offense, serious wrongdoing, or sin.
5. a foolish, senseless, or shameful act: It's a crime to let that beautiful garden go to ruin.

dictionary.reference.com...

So, in the specific legal sense of a convicted criminal, it is of course correct that George W Bush is not a criminal (excepting any legal proceedings of which I may not be aware, of course). And, by the principle of presumed innocence, one should not assume his is, merely because of perceived evidence that such a conviction could be achieved.

But, given the broader and more vulgar definition of 'criminal', which is entirely a matter of opinion, it is just as much of an opinion to say "George Bush is not a criminal", as it is to say he is.

Whether either statement is polite, appropriate, or useful, is the actual topic, however.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
no opinion is true, but on some level of ''reality'' that opinion is true for them. In their reality.

Some people view facts as opinions. Some people view opinions as facts. Im pretty sure that it only matters in your own reality in the end anyway.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Okay, SF, I have to disagree with this one.

1. President Bush is a criminal. Opinion not fact
In order to be a criminal one must have committed a crime and that MUST be proved. (Not what you THINK you know; FACTS) That has not happened, so that statement is either an opinion, or a lie.

You mean, based on rumors, speculation, and hearsay, they can detain someone in Gitmo, but we can't call Bush a criminal and it sticks, based on conspiracy theories surrounding his implications as well as Dick Cheney in being complicit in their actions and or inactions on 9/11?

All kidding aside, I understand completely what you're saying here. Politics is a heated topic, people will often disown family members over a differing of political views, let alone factions within the same views and political parties.

top topics

join