It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you drive alone to work?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

It's not my fault. I have a one seat bicycle there is nothing I can do about it.

On the other hand. Even though I drive to work alone, I'm not burning any fossil fuels and poisoning my environment like most people I know.

Vas

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Personally, I have always enjoyed the time alone when commuting.

Mind you , its currently a mute point, I drive a 2 seater VW caddy as a service
vehicle, and virtually live in it.
We do have the wifes ford, its on LP gas, but she does the kids and I tow
HER
fishing boat with that too.

I just think many people need their own space before and after a hard day.
Ive heard that in some parts of the US they impose the Lexus toll (did I get that right?) for those that can afford to travel in bus lanes etc.

They are giving that thought here, though one would need to be wealthy.

My monthly toll bill exceeds $400 a month

Cheers all

Mungo

Hey OP... i liked that drawing.... I'de own one

[edit on 27/7/2008 by mungodave]

[edit on 27/7/2008 by mungodave]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

Jedi you make no sense when you talk about driving large cars. Most cars are 4 seaters, some are larger. So are you trying to get people to drive 2 seater sportscars? The type of car that when in an accident that ensures that the driver will die> Or are you just an ignorant ass who does not understand that in the US we drive whatever the hell we want and if you dont like it then you can move to russia or china!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I have been driving SUVs for the past 10 years. I feel MUCH safer in them on the crazy highways I have driven. Plus, I just like them.

As far as carpooling goes. LMAO
Uh, no thank you.

One, I have always had to travel a long ways to work (WDC area & Dallas area). That hour or so into/out of work, I want it to myself. I enjoy that alone time. No other people talking to me. I can listen to what I want. And I can run errands before and after work. You can not do any of this with other people in your vehicle.

Two, I dont want to depend on other people for getting places on time or being late. I like to depend on myself, and myself alone.

Three, If I cant afford the gas. I will fix my budget, or drive less, or maybe trade in. But since that isnt an issue, I keep my SUV.

If you dont like SUVs, dont drive them. But you (generally speaking) are NOT going to take away my right to drive one.

XL5

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
You do get gas savings if the other "poolers" pay for their share of gas. If 2 cars, each are 2000lb's +150lb's (driver) have single drivers in them are driven, it takes alot of gas to move 4000lb's +300lbs. It takes alot less gas to move 2000lb's+300lbs.

Also, the engine does not lose eff., it just uses more gas as the injectors on/open duration increases and/or the rpm's are higher. The engines abillity to use gas has not decreased.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
My car will seat 5 but probably 99% of the time there is only me in it. I have a 100 mile round trip commute each day and there is nobody else from the company living anywhere near me (most are fairly local 2 - 10 miles from the office). I also cover projects globally for the company so can often be at the office online to catch the Asia region before 7AM and leave the office around 7PM after catching the US West coast guys.
I'd move closer to the office but now is not the time to do so.

I live in a local council owned flat which I have been in now for 20 years. The rent is lower than renting privately closer to the office, although what I pay in fuel probably means it's slightly more expensive with the travel / fuel costs.
I could give up the council flat and move closer to the office but in the current climate, I think the move would be a bit dicey given the private rental increases as a lot of bought-to-rent property owners are feeling the pinch and increasing rental rates.
I'm single so I'm basically priced out of the property market for buying, although I refuse to do so anyway due to my firm belief that the current prices are way overinflated.

What I do plan on doing is changing my car towards the end of the year. My current car gives me between 45 - 50 mpg. I have a couple of models in mind - change from a 5 door hatch to a 3 door with a smaller engine and even better fuel economy - 55 - 60 mpg (and comparable performance thanks to newer engine technologies.

I have also started to try and work from home a couple of days a week which is great. More relaxed atmosphere and able to access everything I need to via fast broadband and VPN.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Hey, Jedi, what about me? I drive a semi to work, and then drive it all day long. It gets about 7 MPG and has room for about 20 if you count the sleeper (500 if you count the trailer), but I'm all alone in it. I drive out of state, too, and burn close to 100 gallons of fuel per day. Do I need a pass each trip?

I think someone hasn't thought this through very well. Besides, with everyone trying to not produce CO2, I have to provide for all the plant life out there.

Speaking of which, it's time to pollute! Later, all.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I ride a motorcycle to work. Florida requires riders to take an AMA Safety course before you can get a motorcycle license. Motorcycle sales and service is double in Sarasota over last year.
It's not for everybody. I feel safer on the bike than I would in a car because I always scan for the safe way out and I have more options than I would in a car.

It is relaxing and fun to ride the bike to and from work. No matter how stressed I am my bike makes me grin. Big, big grin.

Sometimes I drive an eighteen wheeler and Florida would revoke my CDL license if my car insurance lapsed while I was out of state. That is an expensive proposition to be stranded at a scale in another state until all fines are paid. Those rules don't apply to my motorcycle.

You asked how many people drive solo to work. I'm doing the best I can for the environment and my needs. Public transportation is a joke in most parts of Florida.

I'm on this site to explore alternative energy and vehicle design.
The government won't release it's grip on Tesla and UFO technology so it's up to us to re-invent it. Your drawing is a good example of how our collaborative efforts are producing good results.

"Come on talk to me
So we can see
What's going on ..." - Marvin Gaye

top topics

<< 1   >>

join