It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you drive alone to work?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Here in California, I see everyone driving large SUV's or cars with 5 seats or more and there'a always one guy in the driver's seat; The rest of the car empty.

I see a problem here, because the other four seats have never been used. I have a new Hyundai Sonata and it fits 5 people. I've never used the back seats, they are still new. so you see, there's a waste of space and a waste of gas. My solution would be to build one seat cars.

Let's say that if you use your car to go to work and you do it alone, you must drive the one seat car. If you are going on vacation and need to use a larger car, then you would need to apply for a pass from the state. what do you guys think? and if you do drive alone to work, do you do it because you don't like people or because you just like throwing away money on gas.

Discuss.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a nice two seater like a Porsche Carrera gt would do the trick for me

I think you are indeed right but there are single seaters based on motors.

Fact is people don't want to drive em because that SUV looks so much tougher, some dealers even throw in a year of free petrol with that SUV nowadays...

This car is sponsored by Texaco.

So unless we really are almost out of oil people wont use single seaters...

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Honda already makes a one-seater. I have one. It's called a motorcycle and it gets great gas mileage. Where I live, with the proper gear, I can use it most of the year.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
Fact is people don't want to drive em because that SUV looks so much tougher, some dealers even throw in a year of free petrol with that SUV nowadays...

I read that study. I do think that people who drive SUV's want to project an image. "Hey look at me, I'm a bad boy in this large car". I've always driven smaller cars. At one time I was driving a Huyndai Excel and people would look at me funny. they were compact cars and very fuel efficient. I have always liked Huyndai, I don't care what anyone says. if someone was to make a One seat car and sold it for 5000, i'd buy it over any other.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sleuth
Honda already makes a one-seater. I have one. It's called a motorcycle and it gets great gas mileage. Where I live, with the proper gear, I can use it most of the year.

Sorry, sleuth. I was not talking about a motorcycle. those are too dangerous and I'd never be crazy enough to ride one. I meant a vehicle with airbags, a seat in the center and maybe 4 small tires.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
Sorry, sleuth. I was not talking about a motorcycle. those are too dangerous and I'd never be crazy enough to ride one. I meant a vehicle with airbags, a seat in the center and maybe 4 small tires.

Those wee cars aren't any safer than motorcycles. At least with a bike you're guaranteed to do the job right on impact.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I designed this one, looks pretty safe. Sorry man I just don't trust motorcycles. This one would just have one seat on the center, much like a speed racing car. I know it looks amateurish, I used paint.

files.abovetopsecret.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   

...then you would need to apply for a pass from the state.

I agreed with everything you said until this statement. Are you so willing to give up your freedom that you're OK with giving the government the power to tell you what car to drive?

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Me and a co-worker carpool to work. We alternate weeks. Currently, I dont drive anymore than I have to, which allows me to get 10-13 days on a single 22 gal tank of gas.
As well, the company I work for has recently setup and is encouraging people to carpool. Since there are just over 2000 people working on each of 2 shifts, the company has done all of the research on where people can meet to lower fuel costs by driving shorter distances. They also send out emails with how many people have started this modified carpooling program and how it is working for them to encourage more to sign up.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I have a two-door Honda Civic, that seats five (four, comfortably). I drive to work alone, but that is about the only place that I drive alone. Whenever my husband and I go anywhere, we take my car to save money on gas. My husband has an SUV, that the only place he drives is to work and back. We need the SUV (as much as I hate it) because where we live is prone to flooding, and it is high enough to get through it.

Also, one of our dogs has a kennel that just won't fit in anything but a large vehicle. We need his car to go to the vet. And, God forbid, if we ever needed to evacuate (hurricane area), all of our pets, and us, and our supplies would just not fit in anything but an SUV. Usually, it's our pets and him in the SUV, and our supplies and me in the Civic.

I would love to carpool to work, but it is just not an option for me.

I would also not drive anything smaller than my Civic. I was once hit by an 18-wheeler in it, and me and the car came through it okay. A different angle and speed, and it would have been different. A one-seater car, and I would be dead.

Besides... I certainly don't want to need a government pass for something like driving a certain car. Besides, of course, the different classes of drivers' licenses.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I find allot of people who drive SUV's often aren't concerned with the price of gas, as they have an income that greatly outweighs it's cost.

So trying to get them to carpool because it's better for the environment, would be a very hard task indeed.

These people would typically never switch to a smaller more economical vehicle, because they seem to have the "bigger is better" mentality.

Just look at how many of them drive, like it's your responsibility to get out of their way.

Me, I ditched my car a long time ago. I've been on public transit for, 5 years now? Give or take.
But that's mostly because I don't feel like I have to maintain a status image by having a car. I'm quite happy just jumping on mass commuters to get where I want.
In the city, you actually have WAY more freedom without the car. You don't have to worry about parking it, or bringing it with you. You wanna go somewhere? Just go. There's subways, trams, bus systems, your feet, and (god forbid) taxis. They take you anywhere you want to go.

It's been a long time since I've been bound to a car, and I don't see any reason to go back. I'm not planning to go driving to the middle of no-where.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Maybe this would do the trick?

www.youtube.com...

I wouldn't dare to drive it, probably because I am quite tall.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The new way of thinking will be that it is ignorant to drive alone in a car. Today we have to see it like that. To drive to work everyday when there is the possibility to use official transport systems, is wrong.

The world elite knows how really damaged our planet is and will be in a couple of years. They want to stop it and one way i to do this is to raise the gas prices so that most of ther poorer and average people cannot afford to drive whenever they want to.

We all have to care about the our environment. The earth is not very big and our atmosphere isnt that thick.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I have two SUV's. I drive a Tahoe, my wife/son drive a Pontiac Aztek.

The Aztek is barely an SUV, but that is the classification still. The reasons for both:

I am 6'3" and about 375. Not much i seat comfortably in other than a king cab truck or SUV. When the family travels, we take the Tahoe. And my 10 year old is already 5'9" tall and weighs about 270. How much longer would he fit in the back of a Honda Civic?

My son got the Aztek because of his tennis. He is in tournaments almost every weekend, and he needs to be able to take a large cooler, 12 racket tennis bag, and a duffel bag (backup shoes and dry clothes).

We are not wealthy. The gas crunch hurts...but i just drive a little less.

I cannot car pool. I live in a town with less than 30k. And i run a call center. My hours are VERY prone to change on short notice.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Here in California, I see everyone driving large SUV's or cars with 5 seats or more and there'a always one guy in the driver's seat; The rest of the car empty.

Doesn't matter where you are, large vehicles like trucks and SUV's have been the auto of choice in America these days. A lot of these people you see, however, are probably driving to work. A lot of SUV drivers have families who pile into their vehicles on the weekends, so it's not like they're completely retarded.

My solution would be to build one seat cars.

I've seen tiny two seat cars on three wheels here in Florida but I wouldn't feel nearly as safe as in my Dodge Stratus. The best solution for me is to move. I currently drive 46 miles round trip on a workday. In August i'm moving 5 miles away, so that will make for a 10 mile round-trip work day. Big savings in my check book.

Let's say that if you use your car to go to work and you do it alone, you must drive the one seat car. If you are going on vacation and need to use a larger car, then you would need to apply for a pass from the state. what do you guys think? and if you do drive alone to work, do you do it because you don't like people or because you just like throwing away money on gas.

Discuss.

Well, if we live in a dictatorship or something, your idea would be great. People need to learn on their own not to drive SUV's and they'll learn by spending $100 to fill up their gas tanks, not by enacting laws to prohibit people from their freedoms.

I just don't get that about Democrats. If we're going to regulate your transportation, then why not your nutriotion? Exercise? Production? Sleep? Educational time? Surely the government knows better how I should live my life, right? Wrong!

I am like a cow to the government, and my paycheck is my milk. That's all i am.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Cyfre

I just don't get that about Democrats. If we're going to regulate your transportation, then why not your nutriotion? Exercise? Production? Sleep? Educational time? Surely the government knows better how I should live my life, right? Wrong!

Dont get silly, but you are pretty good, how did you know I was a democrat? I was speaking of a pass, like a fine that you would pay to the state for driving a large car in the freeway. we already pay state fines for toll roads and beaches. why not large SUV taking over the freeways with one minded silly drivers. It's a way to get them off the road, for us smaller more efficient open minded individuals who drive small cars to go to work.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   

That's not entirely true Jedi. Everyone cannot be driving SUV's or cars with 5 seats or more. Some people must be driving motorcycles and coupes. Besides, there will more than likely always be one guy in the drivers seat so don't blame that person - they are just doing the driving.

I see a problem here, because the other four seats have never been used.

But you don't know that. You are assuming they have never been used. They may have been used to conceive children for all you know, and that might be a good thing for someone.

I have a new Hyundai Sonata and it fits 5 people.

That was your first mistake.

I've never used the back seats, they are still new. so you see, there's a waste of space and a waste of gas. My solution would be to build one seat cars.

How about just buying a bicycle if you feel guilty about wasting space and gasoline then?

Let's say that if you use your car to go to work and you do it alone, you must drive the one seat car. If you are going on vacation and need to use a larger car, then you would need to apply for a pass from the state. what do you guys think?

I think its preposterous. You need to stick to writing tales of Natalie Portman and not so much on how your peers should be able to travel.

and if you do drive alone to work, do you do it because you don't like people or because you just like throwing away money on gas.

Discuss.

I drive to work, because I have to support myself. It has nothing to do with hating people or the enjoyment of wasting money. However, I do ride a bicycle to work, when the weather is nice, so I don't waste money on gas all the time. Its then that I don't like people, because my bike is not a tandem.

[edit on 14-7-2008 by ben91069]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I don"t understand the "People drive SUV to look tough" comments I read every where. Maybe people drive them because they are comfortable?

Here's a thought. If you are so concerned about being the only occupant in your 4-5 passenger car - remove the extra seats. Lighter weight = better mileage. I drive a mini-van and removed the rear seats. That was probably about 60lbs of seating removed. I could remove the middle buckets seats, but they are used time to time.

One Seat car - go ahead! Total sales about 0.

People need to stop punching the straw man on SUV's/Trucks. By 2010, most of those vehicles not really needed for there intended purpose will be off the road (IMHO).

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Well Jedi I think that you are crazy if you think that just because someone drives a 5 seater auto that they should knock down to a single seater .. First off if you think that loading 5 people in a car is saving gas you are wrong in most parts. 5 people in one car will cut the cars efficiency but 40 percent or more. If you feel guilty driving a hyundai which is fuel efficient to begin with then maybe you should not drive at all in the first place. Having a pass to drive a normal auto is insane and infringing on our rights to drive whatever the hell we want. If I want to drive a 2 seater ferrari that gets 2 mpg then that is my right. If you want to take it away from me then go ahead and try,,,,, and at the same time try to take away the multitude of guns I own that I will use to fill you full of holes for treading on me.!!!!!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join