It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA sets date for final shuttle mission in 2010

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   

NASA sets date for final shuttle mission in 2010

ca.news.yahoo.com

HOUSTON - NASA has tentatively set the final space shuttle mission for May 31, 2010, four months before the shuttle fleet retires.

NASA has 10 missions remaining for the shuttle fleet, which U.S. President Bush ordered to retire by Sept. 30, 2010. The schedule announced Monday and reported in the Houston Chronicle includes five flights this year, five in 2009 and three in 2010.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Said to see talk of the finial mission , specially when there is no new shuttle to replace it .

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

When the shuttles retire, work will commence on the Ares rocket and Orion capsule that will be used to return astronauts to the moon.

[edit on 11-7-2008 by Ferengi]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
What will they use for space travel after the shuttles?
Maybe cheaper transport rockets like they use the Russian ones to transfer stuff to and from the ISS.
Perhaps the Shuttles just to expensive for what can be done with cheaper rockets.
Or perhaps they have something, already working, but kept from the public eye.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Being_From_Earth

I hope thats the case , as I find it sad that they seem to be going backwards in steed of forward on this one .

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
err I thought this was old news? I think this is like the third thread on this I've seen now too.. Why is everyone posting about this just now when they announced their plans to retire the shuttle back around the time of Bush's "grand vision" for human space exploration in 2004(which was a load of bunk). To my knowledge we've known when the shuttle would be retired for years.

www.whitehouse.gov...

www.nasa.gov...

This was a budget chart that was created in 2004 to project NASA spending for the coming years in order to put much more money into manned missions to the moon and mars in the future. Note the 2010 date for the shuttle retirement.
www.nasa.gov...

So, other than making official what we pretty much already knew, it's old news.

-ChriS

[edit on 12-7-2008 by BlasteR]

[edit on 12-7-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Yes true its old news that they are scraping the shuttle , my reason for the post however is the article gives a bit more detail as to the finial missions .

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
by 2010, we won't even be able to afford to drive car to store let-a-lone rockets to space.

new topics

top topics

join