It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Girls gone wild effect - ( contains elements of human sexuality)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
We all have seen the commercials late at night- seas of young drunk girls ,censored, girl on girl kissing--- Order now with your credit card and your will get "the wettest pool in America" absolutely free...

I am in my late twenties and have been to my fair share of crazy parties. The common
theme is get drunk and try to take the most attractive person you can convince home to bed. I suspect that this has been the common theme of most young parties for eons
even if it was not spoken of or socially unacceptable at the time...

But I wonder what compels so many young women to taunt and tease a video camera and or engage in homosexual contact for the hell of it and a tee shirt?

I suspect a tee shirt does not logically justify an act which traditional society deems as crass and degrading. The typical American is rather terrified about being nude in a room full of people so???

Obviously there are substances that parley a part in the lowering of inhibitions /judgment, but it is the underlying mentality that I ponder.

Does this action stem from of genuine human nature, bad parenting, moral decay, sexual evolution, the sexual revolution, poor self esteem, media influence???

As a man watching these commercials and witnessing girls exposing themselves I feel mixed emotions... The "wow she is sexy" and then an equal feeling of " that girl is
sort of screwed up and pathetic". I cannot very well control my feelings...

If I focus on the second feeling I find myself feeling a bit depressed. Thinking things like; this girl is someone's daughter, this girl will be someone's wife, this girl seems to be using the allure of her body like some sort of tool...

I can't help but feel that this behavior indicates an unhealthy emotional dysfunction of some sort.

So has this new generation of women been damaged or influenced is some fashion???

Or is this just manifesting now, having always been present yet dormant throughout most of history???

Also,this behavior done in mass ( spring break, dance clubs ) does not correspond with my life's concept of female traits.

I "thought" and have "learned" that the gateway to a woman's sexuality was through emotions, communication and "connection"???

However the woo hoo ferociously sexually charged public displays are not preceded by any obvious or substantial emotional connection.

Video cameras do not display emotions nor do they communicate or typically stimulate the mind directly!

A second observation is that it seems the homosexual contact these girls engage in is
done in the spirit of arousing and teasing the observing males. Does this somehow make the GGW gals feel empowered?

The emotional satisfaction a female derives from this display is not indicative of a emotionally healthy person either. Deviance aside most of the public do not enjoy engaging in intimate acts in a public arena.

As I see it GGW behavior is very female in one distinct way...

Women more so then men desire attention, want to feel pretty and wanted.

Unfortunately this GGW behavior is a textbook form of manipulation-- to intentionally act a certain way in order to receive a desired response.

It is an act which gives the GGW gal a sense of power over men sexually and emotionally. The desired response is "look at me", "want me"... this is achieved only in a primal sense, however the means do not promote respect or "genuine" interest. Rather a quick fix like a quick puff off a smoke for a smoker.

"I need attention now!!!?"

To induce these feelings of desire in men by physically striping seems almost compulsive.

Does this indicate that many young American woman do not feel pretty, desirable or wanted?

I suspect very very low self esteem as the catalyst of this behavior which saddens me.

Seems to be a symptom of a social disease which may adversely effect many,many future marriages...

[edit on 9-7-2008 by mental modulator]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Good post, and great discussion topic. Kudos

It is simply a way to recieve attention, sadly. Somewhere along the line, those girls came to the conclusion that the only way they would be seen and noticed was to throw their self respect by the wayside.

Attention is something everyone needs in some way, shape or form. These girls you see in Girls Gone Wild commercials were never given the proper attention from their parents (in my opinion) so they seek whatever attention they can get.

And the guys that push this stuff see the girls as nothing more than tools to get what they want: money, gratification, etc.

In my opinion, this is just a sad side effect of the society that we live in. I don't really think there's much that could have been done to avoid it either...

All one can really do is raise their children to be different from that crowd.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by SeekerOfAUTMN]

[edit on 9-7-2008 by SeekerOfAUTMN]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

Originally posted by mental modulator

Does this indicate that many young American woman do not feel pretty, desirable or wanted?

To induce these feelings of desire in men by physically striping seems almost compulsive.

I suspect very very low self esteems as the catalyst of this behavior....

Is our society/media somehow poisoning or brain washing our future matrons/ Or is this normal healthy sexually liberated behavior?

This is the result of mixing freedom without responsibility with alcohol. Honestly, doesn’t anyone think about the consequences of their actions anymore? The concept of freedom without responsibility has taken over society. Then they whine when the consequences catch up to them.

All actions have consequences. I don’t think that parents and teachers are teaching this anymore.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I would have to add that this kind of malaise is simply one of a deep seated conditioning of the mind where each of us is subjected to boundaries of deterent to freedom of open thought and feelings.
Hence we are all in this society trying to assimilate in to our socio-religious-economic - backgrounds of separation. When in fact the other part of our Self wants to be able to be primal and be set free and dance naked in abandonment with the lillies of the open grassy fields of Oregon.
Though it is also widely known that Men of all races colors and creeds in all ages and annals of history have notoriously been known to be wanton and imbecilic in their own behaviors even more so with the onset of an intoxicated amber liquid or two or... three and half dozen?
This is simply a pressure release valve that lets us for a moment in time and space at least live out our own deepest desires with no fear of judgement or prejudice of any kind... that is till the morning after

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Epsillion70
I would have to add that this kind of malaise is simply one of a deep seated conditioning of the mind where each of us is subjected to boundaries of deterent to freedom of open thought and feelings.
Hence we are all in this society trying to assimilate in to our socio-religious-economic - backgrounds of separation. When in fact the other part of our Self wants to be able to be primal and be set free and dance naked in abandonment with the lillies of the open grassy fields of Oregon.
Though it is also widely known that Men of all races colors and creeds in all ages and annals of history have notoriously been known to be wanton and imbecilic in their own behaviors even more so with the onset of an intoxicated amber liquid or two or... three and half dozen?
This is simply a pressure release valve that lets us for a moment in time and space at least live out our own deepest desires with no fear of judgement or prejudice of any kind... that is till the morning after

Or until the next commercial break comes...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I posit two possible explanations:

1. That the raucous party atmosphere and alcohol lower inhibitions, thus exposing latent homosexuality amongst young women. I think Kinsey's study proved that just above 40% of women harboured "some" lesbian desires, and that women are much more fluid in this respect than men (who are usually either completely straight or gay).

2. That the camera and t-shirt obtaining mayhem is a distraction and a cover for lesbians in the closet... ie it is an excuse which they can later say "oh Im not a lesbian, I just wanted those beads/ tshirt".

Either way, I am somewhat judgemental of the women who would participate in such activities. They obviously dont have a very high estimation of their own worth.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
I posit two possible explanations:

1. That the raucous party atmosphere and alcohol lower inhibitions, thus exposing latent homosexuality amongst young women. I think Kinsey's study proved that just above 40% of women harboured "some" lesbian desires, and that women are much more fluid in this respect than men (who are usually either completely straight or gay).

2. That the camera and t-shirt obtaining mayhem is a distraction and a cover for lesbians in the closet... ie it is an excuse which they can later say "oh Im not a lesbian, I just wanted those beads/ tshirt".

Either way, I am somewhat judgemental of the women who would participate in such activities. They obviously dont have a very high estimation of their own worth.

You mean they pedel this crap in the UK 2?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   

There are a lot of those kind of commercials in Australia too.

I think it is about wanting attention (which is not a bad thing necessarily) and feeling detached from people and society, so you feel you can do whatever you want to.

Take celebrities, quite a few of them get married and end up having an annulment or getting a divorce not long after. I'm pretty sure they don't think it through first before they tie the knot. And this isn't a very good example for the rest of society.

I think though, that it is a common human feeling to not feel desirable or wanted.

To become better as a society, I feel we need to show less judgment but have more empathy and understanding with people and what they go through. I think we've become too detached as a society and let our differences separate us. Everyone needs to know that they are loved and wanted.

But yeah, anyway

Originally posted by darkelf

Honestly, doesn’t anyone think about the consequences of their actions anymore? The concept of freedom without responsibility has taken over society. Then they whine when the consequences catch up to them.

All actions have consequences. I don’t think that parents and teachers are teaching this anymore.

I totally agree, all actions have consequences, but it seems people would like to think that the rules don't apply to them cos they're "special" or something. And then when something does happen, they whine like they should somehow have been exempt from the consequences.

Teaching that actions have consequences would mean teaching morals, and we all know that you can't do that any more. Political Correctness is what is killing society imo.

[edit on 9/7/2008 by Sparkly_Eyed777]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparkly_Eyed777

There are a lot of those kind of commercials in Australia too.

I think it is about wanting attention (which is not a bad thing necessarily) and feeling detached from people and society, so you feel you can do whatever you want to.

Take celebrities, quite a few of them get married and end up having an annulment or getting a divorce not long after. I'm pretty sure they don't think it through first before they tie the knot. And this isn't a very good example for the rest of society.

I think though, that it is a common human feeling to not feel desirable or wanted.

To become better as a society, I feel we need to show less judgment but be more empathic and understanding with people and what they go through. I think we've become too detached as a society and let our differences separate us. Everyone needs to know that they are loved and wanted.

But yeah, anyway

10/4 -- It seems this is just another example of the ever widening void of the human condition... Funny this about the girls in the commercials though... Many men would give a left eye to be in the company of such pretty gals. I am certian many of these gals get heaps of attention...So I get it --- but I really don't ... If you dig-

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   

I think that what you are witnessing is female human behaviour at it's most fundamental, caveman/woman/survival.
Wouldn't it be great if a man could simply smile and expose part of his sexual allure to a woman and then have her finance and support him for the rest of his life?
Instead, the basic male response it to make a show of his 'wealth', and hope that the girl's requirements are no greater than his resources.
If more women would consider marrying for love instead of money, and more men would similarly marry for love instead of sex, then maybe relationships would last and be more succesful, importantly producing loving offspring leading to [hopfully] a better world.
This behaviour is, I believe, survival based thinking from long ago and only a short term solution to human pairing [meeting mutual needs in the short term].
Still, this is just a male thinking here, let's hear from the ladies, c'mon DG, Green Eyed Leo, nefermore and so many more,
Love to all,
Horsegiver.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I was a security guard for a hotel on South Padre Island in Texas. The GGW video crew satyed at the hotel I worked at. These girls in the videos are so drunk it's wrong. What you don't see is the pestering and mob mentaility of the guys behind the cameras. The parties tended to attract alot of guys who "take" the girls home when they pass out too. The cops were called several times when we caught men carrying passed out women to thier cars to take elsewhere. Some were also found to be in possesion ghb a common rape drug. You do the math. I would be suprised if the girls even know whats happening or going on in most of the situations, or at least until its far to late.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
I was a security guard for a hotel on South Padre Island in Texas. The GGW video crew satyed at the hotel I worked at. These girls in the videos are so drunk it's wrong. What you don't see is the pestering and mob mentaility of the guys behind the cameras. The parties tended to attract alot of guys who "take" the girls home when they pass out too. The cops were called several times when we caught men carrying passed out women to thier cars to take elsewhere. Some were also found to be in possesion ghb a common rape drug. You do the math. I would be suprised if the girls even know whats happening or going on in most of the situations, or at least until its far to late.

Dammit --- I did not know this aspect - thanks-- I agree

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I think a lot of it has to do with just being young. I remember the phrase “If you’ve got it, flaunt it” when I was much younger. The young flaunt their youth. Us old farts grieve the loss of our youth just like we grieve any other loss. Alcohol reduces inhibitions. There are far less societal controls now than when I was young. I grew up in the fifties and sixties and our parents thought that we were behaving poorly. As each generation breaks the boundaries before it, I wonder what will be left to rebel against.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
They're college girls. Society has glamourized such actions to such a degree that now it's acceptable and justified by saying, "Well, that's college." They do it because they've been led to believe that they're supposed to do it.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Ok, so I'm older and probably considered to be "Square" by today's ideas of morals. The moral decay of our youth continues. I feel sad for the girls that think it's ok to do these things. I am sad for the girls at those Hooters swim suit competitions. I think it's messed up to get your self esteem from how your flesh looks. I think those girls have very low self-esteem. That GGW guy came to Panama City, and he was run out of town, etc. Lust of the flesh runs rampant, very strange and sad!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
They do not do it just because they are young. Sure when they flash thier boobs at the bars thats one thing, as most of the girls tend to do that when drunk in a really hot climate. I can write that off as some form of newfound freedom of being out of the house, starting a new life,ect. However in the GGW vids they have alot of hotel room scenes, this where girls that have been eyed earlier in the night at clubs end up. Sometimes, they seemed more drunk/drugged than the others that brought them there(who i might add were pretty tanked themselves). I belive a larger number of these girls are coerced/forced to participate than you would expect. After dealing with spingbreak people and seeing all the crap that goes on with it I've actually stopped dating.

If people do this to party, I don't want to marry someone who accepts this behaviour...and sadly alot do. I could tell a whole host of what happens on spring break...but alot of people would be disgusted by what thier kids do.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I just wish everyone could treat everyone the way they'd want to be treated themselves, and try to have understanding so we could become better as a society, you know?

GGW and stuff like it, isn't a good thing for society if you think long term. If we could become more caring and stuff maybe there'd be no need for people acting this way??

Edit: I don't think I made sense the first time I made this post

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I've been doing a lot thinking lately about this very subject. I believe the behaviour is motivated by biology.

I exhibit this same behaviour though in an exclusive relationship only. In other words, I want my man to pay me attention so I display behaviour which has worked since the dawn of man, overt sexual display.

I really can't help my self, add to this my age ( mid 30s) and the fact that I haven't had any children leads me to behave in a way that you might see as ..well for lack of a better word, slutty. At 35 I am in a committed, monogomous relationship. Biologically speaking I am not the most advantageous partner for my man as it is less likely for me to concieve with him due to my age - In order to keep him from seeking out a more likely candidate do I need to make sure he doesn't stray?

I came up with this theory to explain my own behaviour but then I wondered about the GGW type of girls. As pointed out they are young - college aged. Afterall, I reasoned, I didn't behave that way in my teens/ early 20s. But I remember clearly that some did. I'm not saying I was a virginal example of shining chastity because I wasn't but I could never have been mistaken for a GGW.

Surely their bodies are not screaming to reproduce at that young age? Surely they are motivated by morals, or more correctly the lack of morals? But the more I think about it the more I think that somehow it is connected with biology - afterall hasn't the age at which puberty starts gotten consistently lower? Could it be that the behaviour exhibited by these girls is normal behaviour for a woman my age? An Age at which a woman is more likely to be in a mongomous type relationship? Since the beginning of puberty has decreased can I stand to reason that the age at which our biological clock starts to ring alarm has decreased as well? Does this fit in with the recent reports of world wide fertility going down?

I don't know. I ask myself questions and it begats more questions.

I think biology directs much more of our behaviours then we realize.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Yep you hit the nail on the head its not only GGW

Women are also competing against porn for attention if the man dosnt get what he wants at the bar there is plenty of websites out there to give him all the action hes ever dreamed of.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I have a different take on it. Marketing. Sex is used to sell everything - consciously or subconsciously - and with most purchases it is the woman who exercises final "say-so" in which product is chosen, so the marketing is primarily aimed at women.

Now, women are competitive in ways men cannot even comprehend and I'm not talking sports. So we are constantly looking around at the world and assessing and re-assessing ourselves and others in our sphere of influence - whether we realize it or not, whether we like it or not. The same thing goes on in the animal world, for example, there is hierarchy among females in a pride of lions.

For about the last 75 years intense marketing strategies have been used to associate products with sexual attractiveness by way of social acceptability (hierarchy). Buy product X and you too will be prettier, happier and more socially acceptable. How do you know? Because all of the people in the commercials are beautiful and socially acceptable and they are mostly women. Women using sex to sell to women so they can be attractive to men.

As a result, in the past century, sexuality has been indelibly linked to female attractiveness whereas prior to that it was not exclusively female in nature. Look at ancient art for example; it is a mix of male and female images.

Add to that the boat load of easily available porn (which is a form of marketing if you get down to it) which panders to male notions of sexuality that often include multiple women. As a result, you have a generation of sexually confused young women, constantly bombarded by images of female sexuality, sexualized at earlier and earlier ages (so their judgment isn't very refined), being exploited by a generation of men who, due to the desensitizing affects of porn and impossible standards of beauty set by women themselves, require more and more extreme images to gratify and stimulate themselves.

Girls, being competitive, understand the nature of the game and so they push the envelope of discretion and decorum in order to get the attention from the opposite sex. Boys want a certain type of "action" and girls give it to them. Why? Marketing. It takes more and more to gain attention in a sexually saturated, image driven world.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join