It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A thread I never flagged

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Hello,

could you tell me please why is there a thread (about "Woodlumz") in my "profile" that I never flagged? And the thread doesn't even exist!

[edit on 5-7-2008 by AdAstra]

[edit on 5-7-2008 by AdAstra]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
OK then, can anyone remove it for me, please?
I can't.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   
It was the thread you were looking at when you clicked "join"

it was added to your list then - a curse that will follow you until the end of your days... as it was in the beginning, so will it be in the....end

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthTellist

Hi, thanks for replying.

No, I wasn't looking at it. I have no interest in whatever "Woodlumz" is/are.
Besides, if you click on it, you'll notice that the thread doesn't even exist, not anymore. It says "the page does not exist anymore" or something like that.

Could somebody please explain it?
It's very confusing.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I have two flagged threads from clicking on links that have the word flag in them!

This one was clicked in chat, and flagged each time someone clicked the link, not to mention has been on the homepage for
The Most Important Topics (as flagged by members) for a while now!
7 flags-8 replies on that one!

www.belowtopsecret.com...

...and the other is a political thread (still flagged just not recent), as you can see by my profile, one thing I hate is politics, I had clicked a signature, and the thread was flagged from it!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have mentioned them before, and apparently, they have been ignored, or forgotten when asked to remove from my profile!

Is it too hard to delete them, or something?

[edit on 7/7/2008 by Givenmay]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Givenmay

Thanks for replying, Givenmay.
It's strange, isn't it?
And if it's a bug, as obviously it is, I'd just like to know what's causing it.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AdAstra

I guess no one is interested in our problem...hmmph!

Oh, well better luck next time...maybe?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
There is some kind of glitch, but I don't know what causes it. This has happened to me before. I'm not technical so I just figure with a site this size, there's bound to be a few bugs here and there.

Sorry I couldn't help, but I thought misery might like some company.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Givenmay

Those cases sounds like someone being sneaky and offering a link after they flagged it. If you star or flag a thread, the URL will show that you just committed that action. If someone sends you that link, when you click it you will have starred or flagged it as well. Someone sent me a link like that once and I told them, 'Uh. How about you send me a link without the flag in it and let me flag it if I want to instead of tricking me into flagging your thread.' Sneaky brats!

reply to post by AdAstra

It has to be a glitch of some sort. Look at the list of flagged threads on your profile. That thread shows it has zero flags so apparently not even your phantom flag was registered:

woodlumz a secret society? (moved from ATSNN)
Replies: 0 Flags: (0).

No clue otherwise.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Those cases sounds like someone being sneaky and offering a link after they flagged it. If you star or flag a thread, the URL will show that you just committed that action. If someone sends you that link, when you click it you will have starred or flagged it as well.

Quite true.

And before anybody reading this gets any sneaky ideas (not that any of you nice people would ever do such a thing
), that is viewed as abusing the flag system and fall unders the T&C.

5a) Unauthorized Access: You will not attempt to access any protected sections of the message board, nor make use of any hacks, cracks, bug exploits, etc. to bypass or modify the features of the forum software or to obtain information beyond the allowed features of your account status. Doing so will result in immediate termination of your account.

If you ever come across such a link in a post, I would appreciate it if you would alert the staff to it, so that we can make the appropriate edit. As you say, the choice to flag a thread should be yours.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

Yes, I saw that happen in a thread I guess about a month ago. A member left a link to one of his posts that caused you to star it if you clicked the link. His post was edited and I am 99.9% sure I remember him getting a warning for it. I felt tricked.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

so you mean its like Kindergarten, i do some thing good and i get a star?

can we have diffrent color stars for diffrent degrees of what we may have done. im jealous my nephews get a better staring system then i do..

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DaleGribble

No stars for reporting abuse of the star system, I'm afraid.

If someone doesn't want to do something for the right reason (keeping fellow members from getting tricked), I'm not going to bribe them to do it.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

i agree.

my post was a sad atempt at humor and sarcasm.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DaleGribble

Don't look so sad. Would a gold star make you feel better?

We should probably meander back on over to the topic now, before one of those scary mods show up and gives us heck.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Thanks for replying.

However, nobody sent me any links and such... It must be something else.
And I hear it's been happening to other membres too (beside the ones posting here, I mean).

What I find really strange is that there are supposedly computer wizards on this site, and yet nobody seems to have identified the origin of this glitch...?

Anyway, thank you for your answers, everyone.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdAstra
Thanks for replying.

However, nobody sent me any links and such... It must be something else.
And I hear it's been happening to other membres too (beside the ones posting here, I mean).

Hey. My above comment was talking about two different things to two different people. I was telling one poster about what happens when you are sent a link with a flag or star in it and my reply to you was to point out it was probably a glitch because even though it shows you flagging the thread, the thread is still shown to have zero flags.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I know, I know... I am sleepless, it's hot - and the un/flagged thread is STILL there...
My replies are not necessarily as coherent as they should be.

[edit on 11-7-2008 by AdAstra]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I have three threads that I did not flag or even visit appear in my listing of flagged threads yesterday. Two are from BTS and I haven't logged in there in months.

One of the threads that it says that I flagged doesn't even have any flags.

Like I said I never visited those threads at all. It even seems like they were flagged while I was offline.

DocMoreau

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
At least you can see what you haven't flagged

I've started 4 threads apparantly yet I've only actually made 2 and they show on profile, the other 2 don't seem to exist but my profile is quite insistant that I've made them I'm sure it's trying to trick me into joining the tinfoil hat brigade

top topics

<<   2 >>

join