It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma City Thieves.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
When I was nine years old, I discovered professional basketball in the form of the Seattle SuperSonics. It was love at first sight. Bob Blackburn was the voice of the SuperSonics then, I bled green and gold while listening to him describe the action...my heros had names like...Lenny Wilkens, Donald "slick" Watts, "downtown" Fred Brown, "golden" Bob Rule, Spencer Haywood, Dennis Johnson, Gus "the wizard" Williams, Jack Sikma, Lonnie Shelton, John Johnson, Gary "the glove" Payton, Shawn "reignman" Kemp, and so many others.

In 1979 I watched my boys win an NBA championship by laying a whoopin' on Elvin Hayes and Wes Unseld, and the other Washington Bullets. Sweet didn't even begin to describe it...

Now Clay Bennett and his carpetbagging ownership group have raped them away to Oklahoma City. I didn't think it would hurt as much as it does...this man has destroyed some cherished memories from my childhood, and not so childhood. Thanks so much, you carpetbagging bucket of (insert selected expletive).

May a pox decend upon your house...

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I dont see the sense in leaving the 14 ranked tv market in the U.S for the 49th ranked.
Sure people will come to watch in the beginning,but as the losses pile up,watch the attendence plummet.
I hope Seattle is givin a new team in the future.
Stupid stupid Sonic's owner

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Bummer! But you're welcome to become an honorary Celtics fan. We can always use another!

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Black_Fox
Stupid stupid Sonic's owner

On that we are most assuredly agreed.

I've got a freind in Portland who says he'll let me use his season ticket when they come to Portland the first time...

To say I'm salivating would be an understatement. Here's hopin' I can get the time off...though I can always *cough* *cough* *cough* call in *cough* sick *cough*...

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I'm a Ray Allen fan, JsoBecky, that's as close as I'll ever get...LOL.

But thanks for the offer...

I am, and always will be, a Seattle SuperSonics fan. A little browned off, no strike that, Pissed off is much closer to the truth.

The NBA did us the dirty...I'll attend that Trailblazer game, and that'll be the last NBA game I'll ever attend or watch. They made no effort to keep the team in the city. If you can't afford to build your own damned stadium, or at least help finance it, you got no business owning a sports franchise...of course, the Seattle Center Colosium was just the excuse, not the reason.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Seagull, no offense to your beloved team but there are some of us "thieving Okies" that would love to see the Sonics get bounced right back home.

We've got too many transplants here now that don't want to be here, don't appreciate our small town atmosphere and are bringing their crime and drugs with them when they move in. Not that the Sonics are among them but they do have "fans" that follow them around.

Was in IHOP recently and the California transplant waitress was complaining to an old couple about how much Oklahoma sucked. Every table in earshot opened their wallets/purses and donated to her bus fair.

Hopefully, you'll get your team back. If they need bus fair, send them to IHOP.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This realy is a shame...

For the city of seatle, and its fans...

Its also a missed oppertunity for us here on ATS, from the day the OKC guys bought the team, there was a conspiricy to move them to OKC, even though they played one last season in seatle...

How was the season... ever seen the move Major League, where the owner gets rid of all the vertern players, and brings in a bunch of no-bodies, and rookies... Well, the SOnics played an NBA version of that this last season, the owner throwing the season from day one. The only diffrence between the movie and real life, in the movie, they won, and they stayed, and they even had some sequals...

However, there is no happy ending here in seatle, there will be no sequals, basketball has died in Seatle... 41 years, was worth about 30 million to the city... just pathetic...

We missed the boat here, we should have been screaming for a whole year about this, ponting out all the garbage, about how David Stern was complicit in this whole process, giving one of his buddies a team... just sick...

This was it, a real live open conspiriacy, you just had to be concious to notice the sonics were on thier way out, but no one cared til it was too late... we stood by and said nothing, as curropt bussniess men made consiricies to screw a city out of a team.

I hope Seatle gets a team back, the Gizzles stink, and New Orleans isnt doing very goood money wise... Mabye within 5 years, you will have a team back up there...

But to lose a player like Durrant because of this mess, is heartbreaking... Last year, Durrant And Oden go 1-2 to Pacific Northwest teams, and that should have been a riveraly that lasted years, 2 teams, very close, both super-stud prospects... But Fate got in the way, Oden never played, and Now Durrant is gone...

What should have been an epic life-long rivlerly, between two dominate players, on rivial teams, ends as a 0-0 tie... basicly, it never happen...

What more to say, i dont know, how do you end a funeral...

A couple things to say though, The Durrant Sonics Jersy is going to be a collectable one day.

And, I vote for the Oklahoma City Weasles... or Jerks...

I realy hope OKC is totaly torn to peices by the fans in the other 29 cites, cause this can happpen to anyteam... i would die if the Lakers just moved to Vegas one day... so i feel my fellow fan...

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

My "thief" reference was only to the ownership group, my freind. Angry I may be, but not that angry...

I should have made that more clear, sorry.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Not a problem, seagull. I knew you weren't trashing Okies in general. Most Okies I talk to about it think it was a bad move and not entirely above board. I really do hope you get your team back.
On the bright side....you could come here to see them play a game and, as an added bonus, get to meet some really great ATS folks. lol.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
OK, i heard they are down to a few names... for real...

And.. .one of them is, the Oklahoma City Barons...

That works... the others are pretty lame, like thunder or something...

Barons work... the OKC Robber Barons...

The Robber Barons, sounds good...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

"Robber Barons"? My, my, how very appropriate.

They're going to have the championship trophy and all the banners, too...

The 1979 NBA Champions Oklahoma City RobberBarons. The Chicago Bulls were given everything they wanted by the Oklahoma City RobberBarons a few years back...

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Well, a few days ago, it became official...the Seattle Supersonics have become the Oklahoma Thunder. (bunny clap). How nice for them.

All we have left now are those 41 years of memories...some good, some bad, some that'll live with me 'til the day I die...

Just thought I'd share some with you...

The Bad:

Number Five: Losing to the Bulls in six games. I honestly thought we'd take that series.
Number Four: Earvin "Magic" Johnson making a running 30 footer as time expired with Nate McMillan inside his jersey. You can't play better defense than Nate did on that play...everyone in the place knew who was going to get the last shot, and nearly as many knew he'd make it...he did. Sonics lost.
Number Three: The forced retirement of Bob Blackburn, the original voice of the Supersonics. His was the voice that made me love my sonics. Kevin Calabro is great, but it was never quite the same...
Number Two: Dekembe Mutumbo rollin' around on the Key Arena floor. First time in NBA history, a #8 seed beat a #1.
Number One (as you might imagine): The 'supes leaving Seattle and the NW for Oklahoma City.

The Good:

Number Five: With a losing record, advancing all the way to the Western Conference finals, in '93 (I think).
Number Four: Taking Micheal Jordan, Scottie Pippen, et al... to the limit, or nearly so. I remember reading somewhere that Jordan has said that was the toughest of the six championships that the Bulls took. A compliment, indeed...
Number Three: Womping on the Trailblazers whenever possible. Hey, it was fun...to this day, I dispise Bill Walton...
Number Two: Destroying the Washington Bullets for the franchises only championship banner...
Number One: Meeting a couple of those players, Center Jack Sikma, and Guard Fred Brown, on separate occaisions when I had business in Seattle. Classy gentlemen, the both of 'em. This was when I was still an NBA fan.

Ah me...great memories, even the bad ones. That at least, Bennet and his "Thunder" ownership group can't take away...go ahead, hang Fred Browns jersey in the rafters, or DJ's, or Jack Sikma's, or any of the others, gloat over the Championship trophy...you bought 'em, they're yours to do with as you please...don't expect kudo's from us up northwest way.

I can't get over how much this hurts...I love the Seahawk's, and the Mariners, I even have soft spot for the WNBA Storm, and the MSL Sounders who begin play next year will bring enjoyment to me. But the Sonics...good, bad, or blah...they were my boys, the dreams of my childhood, I still shoot freethrows exactly like Jack Sikma did. Bounce...bounce...twirl...drop down to armslength...deep breath...exhale half...pause...overhead release...and swish (or in my case *klang*).

Green and Gold. Thanks for memories I'll always cherish.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I happen to live in seattle, and yeah it does really suck that we're losin' the team.
The running gag in town was to change our name from sonics to bombers just to piss em off and make em not want the team....

Have to hope for the best....
Maybe the sounders will be really fun to watch, and ya never know maybe we'll steal the trail blazers...sorry portland!
I heard the NBA comissioner say once that he saw no way of seattle having a new teamfor like at least 10 years. Time to be a soccer fan, hey Drew Carry is the owner, and every 2 years the fans get to vote if the manager gets booted or not.

I don't really give a damn about the mariners, but it would be lame to lose em...
I'd go to war if someone tried to move the hawks...

Oh well, that was kind of a random rambling post, but oh well....2 cents from a dude in Seattle.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
If only BaseKetball were real :shk:

Theres rules against stuff like that in BaseKetball.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
You really need to be disrespecting the guy that sold the team.
A deal's a deal!

Roper, from the great state of Oklahoma.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Roper

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

didn't I mention that? I never really cared for him either... He took a proud franchise, one of the best in the NBA and reduced it to a laughingstock...I still followed them, though. 'Cause as I said, they were my boys, through thick and thin.

Roper. I really hope they do well, and I suppose they will eventually...just don't expect me to join in the cheering.

...and watch your back, because I get the strangest feeling that as soon as the "new" has worn off, trouble is going to start.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I kind of know how you feel, when the NFR picked up and went to Nevada I was not happy.

Roper

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Vindictive as hell, I know...

So...how is OKC enjoying the Thunder, so far?

1 and 15, woo hoo...

I know, it's petty of me; so sue me.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
So...

The "zombie sonics" made the playoffs... ...and they get the Lakers in the first round... ...and they lost, how cool is that?

Back in the day, I despised the Lakers... Of the teams I despise, they were third only to the Yankees (
), and the Portland Trailblazers, and just ahead of the Oregon Yucks... Now? Go, Los Angeles... while you're wiping the floor with the "zombie sonics", spare a moment, and flip a bird at the owners box.

Yes... I hold grudges.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
ZombieSonics rule!!

Not.

I watched the highlights (lowlights?) on ESPN last night, and the dropping of old Sonics names was actually a little painful...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join