It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How are you coping these days? Share your story.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ALightinDarkness

I don't think it's fair to say that most posters on this thread are predicting the end of society as we know it. It just so happens that we're going through a period as a country where a lot of storms are hitting at the same time.
It's happened before, maybe we'll go through a real depression, who knows?
What I have noticed on this thread, is that it seems that it is the people with the most dire life situations have been the ones with the most hope and faith.
Don't you think?

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Thanks for your response.

I am in no way crying on anyone's shoulder. The stories here are heart wrenching to say the least. I am glad to read the good stories as well. There has been some good ideas on here as how to adapt. More are welcome.

What i have learned to this point is how powerless I feel but, how how powerful I wish to become.

We have only so many tools in the U.S, at our disposal.

Our Representatives (our gate keepers), they are supposed to listen to their constituents and bring that to the Senate... hogwash

Our Senate, they are supposed to take ideas presented by the
Representatives and create a bill based on the people...hogwash

Our Congress, they are supposed to vote the way of the Senate via their Representatives via the PEOPLE...hogwash

What a failed system we have here folks.

Peace!

Guz

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Actually, I don't think any "storms" are hitting - the media has just ingrained that into everyone that they have it horrible and the world is getting worse. Every single thread I've seen on the economy is the same thing: its either the end, or a collapse, a depression or something other society shaking event than the only thing for which we have evidence for - a light to mild recession. We have people heading for the hills or claiming they are before we've even had 1 quarter of negative economic growth.

But I know, this is like trying to to convince the guy shackled on the wall in the cave that there is light outside. It also makes me much despised - no one likes the guy who brings a dose of reality to the doom and gloom rainstorm. This is hard to believe, but I am a pretty pessimistic person - but even my pessimism is eclipsed by the total doom and gloom feelings that are constantly preached to ATS - so much so that I look like an optimist compared to most on here.

[edit on 2-7-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
my wife and i have been discussing this also.wondering how less fortunate people get by.we are lucky.i thank the lord everyday.i work for a large trucking companyas a mechanic .i average 1500 a week gross,around a 1000take home my wife works two part time jobs ,and between both of them earns around 400 a week.we have three teen children,the two oldest both work and pay there own insurance and have their own money.the youngest is 14 and she wants to go to work.we have a modest home with a 500 a month mortgage,we seldom go out to eat.we have 3 vehicles two of which are liability only insurance.our light bill averages 250 a month.food is outrageous as you all know .we spend around 300 a week.gas is another 200 a week.we save a little and buy clothes only when necessary.these so called public schools always need money for something or other and it gets expensive.i smoke but no one in the house drinks.our internet service is another 100 a month and cell phones add about 200 more.we get by pretty well but i truly have sympathy for those who are barely getting by.during school time my wife always buys for kids who dont have ,shoes,coats ,hats gloves etc .i think the key is to learn a trade ,trades cant be outsourced.i can go to work anywhere .there will always be vehicles to repair no matter how bad things get.stay on top of the technology and get certifications.we have never paid for any repairs to our cars or home ,we do it ourselves.i have tried to teach my children self reliance too.our local economy is fairly robust thank good ness but i know its a matter of time before evryone is affected.we just all have to look out for anyone who may need a hand .i never believed in a conspiracy to wreck this country now im not so sure.we have taken to stockpiling food and water.i will nver abandon my home no matter what if worse comes to worse i will make my stand on familiar territory.i have many friends relatives who feel the same way ,by the way i live in a semi rural area of the south.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Well, I'll just have to respectfully disagree with you. Insofar that there are many many people who have not experienced these economic conditions in their lifetimes, including the early nineties. I am happy for you that you don't feel the problems that others cope with. But I don't see why you have to go out of your way to make people feel small and inadequate. I hope that's not how you get to make yourself feel better.
No star for you.

[edit on 7/2/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Should we take the blue pill after taking the red one? Too late brother. I don't need the Media to tell me what is happening here.

[edit on 2-7-2008 by Guzzeppi]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Does your area look anything like it did pre-katrina?
It's slowlly comming back, or was, until '08. Rebuilding has slowed to a crawl. Some neighborhoods, like mine, we're completly wiped out. I lived a block from the beach [& paid only 750$ month rent. A place like that now would be atleast 1,200. We now have a mortgage thats more than that.] Its going to take several more years to get the town looking normal again. It will never be the same.

Has the government come through with the help they promised?
It depends on the situation. Some folks are doing better some worse. We got about $25k all together & lots of stuff from great folks all over the country. We took the money & some help from my brothers & opened the business. It was a gamble, but restaurants are what I do. I've cooked in this town all my life & we have a good croud of locals & out of town volunteers. I'm going to keep at it till the IRS locks me out. If it weren't for all the taxes associated with the restaurant I be doing prety well.
I think there is going to be alot of money to be accounted for in the future. I feel much of the funds are being misspent. It's f**ed up down here. There are these church groups that organize volunteer groups to come down & build houses, but that takes jobs from local carpenters, like my brother. Then in many cases the contractors have to be hired to fix the inexperienced volunteers mistakes.
Most of the help I seen has been from regular people not the gov't. I don't feel the gov't owes us anything, but to see them spend all this money on war... its sad. My wife & I were figuring one day & concluded that they colud have built us all new houses with some of that WAR MONEY[or any of the other ways they misspend our money]. I don't rely on the gov't for any help or support. Sure I took that cash they were dishing out, but I pay taxes, that was my money. I've payed much more than that in taxes since I opened the restaurant.

And are long time residents starting to come back or are they gone for good?
We spent almost 6 months in Boulder, CO after Katrina. I wanted to stay; the wife & kids wanted to come home. Many of the locals have left for good. There's still some of us around. I think the ones that are still gone aren't comming back. They've found new homes & better jobs & schools, etc. This is Mississippi, after all. It'll take a long time to rebuild the population. We don't even have a grocery store in our town yet. Gotta' go to Wal Mart for everything. The current economy has just it made it that much harder to rebuild our communities & lives.

theres a link in my signiture to my myspace page, ther's a blog with pics of my Katrina experience.

[edit on 2-7-2008 by corusso]

[edit on 2-7-2008 by corusso]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   

The only people who have not experienced these "economic conditions" in their life time are people born after 2001 - and I doubt we have that many 7 year olds posting on ATS. Either that, or people who have not lived in the US since 2001. Otherwise, we've experienced far worse than this in 2001, the 1970s, late 1980s, and on, and on, and on.

No, gas was not $4.00, but other costs for other necessary living items were much higher to compensate (12% fixed mortgages, anyone?) - and in the 1970s, the inflation adjusted gas price would have been worse than it is today.

By the way, I prefer not to have stars from certain posters. From certain posters, Stars mean "This is a version of propaganda I believe in or want to believe in, even if it has no founding in evidence or reality."

Also, this whole "all our ills could be solved without the war" is just another flavor of the same old tired propaganda. The United States Government spends more money on pork barrel projects that benefit almost no one directly (they benefit corporations) than the cost of the war in Iraq. But its just so fashionable to blame the war for everything - including our economic problems. As someone myself who was and is anti-war from the beginning, it saddens me to see so many misinformed people. Our economic problems have nothing to do with Iraq, and if all money being spent stopped tomorrow, it wouldn't change a thing.

[edit on 2-7-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Very true on our government spending. You can bundle up the total costs of the war on Iraq an Afghanistan and throw that back into the economy and it wouldn't make a difference. Glad you agree that we up sht creek.

Peace!

Guz

[edit on 2-7-2008 by Guzzeppi]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   

i live in a small town in ky and ten years ago i was making about the same as i am now. long story but i had no education and decided to go back to collage. any way i am making about 35,000 a year and doing what i love, but now that gas is so high its rough. 10 years ago when making the same amount i was living pretty good did what i wanted traveled when i wanted and bought what i wanted in reason with no worries. but i spend almost as much on gas now as my house payment. that sucks. im personally thinking of getting a scooter. lol nothing wrong with that.until your friends see you.lol id look like a hippo on a scateboard. lol but things are ok. i struggle. ive cut way back on travel and i have not been able to visit my family who live 900 miles away in a about 2 years. i just got my first dog a choc lab. i love him and he makes life interesting.
my kids dont realize the change yet but there starting to with no vacations and no extra stuff.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
ManinAsia

Wow, it's nice to read people's innermost thoughts here.
I feel bad for people close to the breadline and close to homelessness, I know that you are struggling and I wish you can find ways out of your situation. I feel bad also that America doesn't have a proper health care system and social welfare for the worse-off folks. Would it really hurt for the better off to pay a few more dollars in taxes a month to help your fellow citizens. If you are so patriotic doesn't that mean more than a flag outside your house and a pin on your breast. When the American govt spends up to trillions of dollars on a long term commitment in Iraq and a military that is bigger than all the other countries of the world's military combined something has got a screw loose somewhere. If people had to send their kids on draft, especially rich people that system would change quickly.

I will give you some background. I am Irish and we have done well from American investment, I appreciate all the business and jobs your companies have brought to Ireland over the years. In Ireland we have a public (not great but ok) health service and also social welfare system.
If people don't have enough they can get by from rent allowance and 200 euro/mth (about 300-400 usd/week) unemployment assistance from the govt. We also get free tuition to go to college in Ireland. We pay avg. 25
-30% taxes in Ireland. Recently things have taken a big downturn but people were spending way outside their limits and I think a lot of people will realise they only have themself to blame in the end. I don't think Irish people know how lucky they are really.

I live in Taiwan. Taiwan is a developing/almost developed country. I earn
around 2,500 USD/mth (that's double the local wage, I have a master's degree, 'm not an English teacher , it is slightly higher than a foreign English teacher makes on average). I get taxed 10% at most on that. Our rent is 300 USD/mth (I live in a crappy place to save money, it's hot in the summer but it's okay, we have standalone aircons and fans). We don't pay cable money because we steal it basically. I pay 30USD/mth for broadband, 40USD/mth elec, 30-40 USD all phone bills, 30usd/mth gas.
We live cheap because we have to and that's what people do here. They save and live cheap. We don't feel any recession in Taiwan yet because we have basically never been touched by any credit boom here. However inflation is eating into everbodies pockets and even I feel that spending more than 3USD each for dinner is as much as we should now here (eating out is cheaper than cooking). We don't have kids and saving to get married is the thing at the moment. I'm thinking of going back to Ireland but I am afraid about the costs, but the good thing for people like me of this credit collapse it is gives us a chance to buy a house at more reasonable rates in the future. We live 'small' but we save quite a bit (my wife is sick but got almost all the bills paid by the govt first class docs, drugs are almost free). This is from 'poor' Asian Taiwan. Wake up Americans, take the good parts and systems of foreign countries and let them come back in to reinvigorate America, don't be stuck on some words in the constitution 100s of years ago.

I think the main point I'm trying to make is live within your means and be flexible. For young people you have some many choices. You can move state or country us Irish always have done. You can change your job and try and get a part-time job (I was teaching part-time till recently). Do you really need a car, I thought about buying one, then realised I can get the bus for 2 dollars each way everyday, no need to pay parking, insurance, tax, maintenance, accident risk, fuel etc. I just sit in the bus and read the paper. I guess I have the luxury of choice in this regard.

America is a great country, I've lived there and I like Americans, friendly people. Let's see Americans care about your fellow citizens more.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
"I work two part time government consulting jobs as a independent contractor, and go to class in the evening. The money is great, since its part time I don't have benefits but contracting rates are so high I can pay for them out of pocket."

Sounds like you're one of the many parasites living off of my taxes.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
ManinAsia

Wow, it's nice to read people's innermost thoughts here.
I feel bad for people close to the breadline and close to homelessness, I know that you are struggling and I wish you can find ways out of your situation. I feel bad also that America doesn't have a proper health care system and social welfare for the worse-off folks. Would it really hurt for the better off to pay a few more dollars in taxes a month to help your fellow citizens. If you are so patriotic doesn't that mean more than a flag outside your house and a pin on your breast. When the American govt spends up to trillions of dollars on a long term commitment in Iraq and a military that is bigger than all the other countries of the world's military combined something has got a screw loose somewhere. If people had to send their kids on draft, especially rich people that system would change quickly.

I will give you some background. I am Irish and we have done well from American investment, I appreciate all the business and jobs your companies have brought to Ireland over the years. In Ireland we have a public (not great but ok) health service and also social welfare system.
If people don't have enough they can get by from rent allowance and 200 euro/mth (about 300-400 usd/week) unemployment assistance from the govt. We also get free tuition to go to college in Ireland. We pay avg. 25
-30% taxes in Ireland. Recently things have taken a big downturn but people were spending way outside their limits and I think a lot of people will realise they only have themself to blame in the end. I don't think Irish people know how lucky they are really.

I live in Taiwan. Taiwan is a developing/almost developed country. I earn
around 2,500 USD/mth (that's double the local wage, I have a master's degree, I'm not an English teacher , it is slightly higher than a foreign English teacher makes on average). I get taxed 10% at most on that. Our rent is 300 USD/mth (I live in a crappy place to save money, it's hot in the summer but it's okay, we have standalone aircons and fans). We don't pay cable money because we steal it basically. I pay 30USD/mth for broadband, 40USD/mth elec, 30-40 USD all phone bills, 30usd/mth gas.
We live cheap because we have to and that's what people do here. They save and live cheap. We don't feel any recession in Taiwan yet because we have basically never been touched by any credit boom here. However inflation is eating into everbodies pockets and even I feel that spending more than 3USD each for dinner is as much as we should now here (eating out is cheaper than cooking). We don't have kids and saving to get married is the thing at the moment. I'm thinking of going back to Ireland but I am afraid about the costs, but the good thing for people like me of this credit collapse it is gives us a chance to buy a house at more reasonable rates in the future. We live 'small' but we save quite a bit (my wife is sick but got almost all the bills paid by the govt first class docs, drugs are almost free). This is from 'poor' Asian Taiwan. Wake up Americans, take the good parts and systems of foreign countries and let them come back in to reinvigorate America, don't be stuck on some words in the constitution 100s of years ago.

I think the main point I'm trying to make is live within your means and be flexible. For young people you have some many choices. You can move state or country us Irish always have done. You can change your job and try and get a part-time job (I was teaching part-time till recently). Do you really need a car, I thought about buying one, then realised I can get the bus for 2 dollars each way everyday, no need to pay parking, insurance, tax, maintenance, accident risk, fuel etc. I just sit in the bus and read the paper. I guess I have the luxury of choice in this regard.

America is a great country, I've lived there and I like Americans, friendly people. Let's see Americans care about your fellow citizens more.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Reply to post by ManinAsia

All's good as long as we get our Caffrey's ei?
Thanks for sharing your story, but I fear you might get a little blowback from our american friends.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I do feel for many.

I recommend to those who have friends and family to pair up to keep in touch, be resourceful, carpool, and keep a look out for good price deals.

I also recommend calling a local farmer to see if they have a pick and pay operation. Its cheaper to pick your own fruits and vegetables than going to the grocery store.

To those in debt. If you know someone, that can help you out, please don't hesitate, ask for help, ask for advice. Don't let your pride get in the way. I know someone who didn't ask for any help because of their stubborn pride and they lost everything, their home, their dogs, and all those memories. They have nothing but clothes, and if they would of said something, if I would of known, me, and 200 other people plus our company, and many co-workers, and perhaps her family and her friends would of spared her. In fact I know they would of. Because the company I work for, the employees pull together. Find people that can pull together to help you and others. Its amazing when every one comes together.

Look for coupons and use them, ask for discounts for almost anything. No harm in asking.

Also, try to stay positive, pay if forward when you can, in any way you can. A smile goes along way.

Its not the end of the world, just a tough time.

Be safe, stay strong, and be resourceful, team up, and ask for help when needed.

Peace,

Deborah

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I really feel for the people who are going through hard times. I came from dirt poor, so I know full well what it's like to go to bed hungry. My husband came from a lower middle class family who taught him to constantly try to keep up with the Jones'. He wants to buy the best of everything. He's been at me for years to buy a new car, but what the heck for? We have two cars that run perfectly fine. Sure they're both ten years old, but as long as they get me from point A to point B, I don't care what they look like.Why have a $350 car payment if you don't have to?

I'm very frugal, and he's the total opposite. He says I'm cheap. I don't give a rats behind what the neighbors think, but he does. The neighbors bought a pool, he bought a bigger one. He buys me expensive gifts, that I don't want. I'd rather have those $5 salt and pepper shakers that I've been wanting but won't buy for myself. I shop thrift stores, he shops expensive high end stores. I hate it that he wants to throw money away when we can never know what tomorrow will bring.

He complains that he doesn't make enough at his job and thinks everyone is making $30 bucks an hour. Yeah, right. He should be lucky to have a job. He makes almost 4 grand a month. But then, he doesn't think the economy is bad. He's blind to all the foreclosures in the area. He's blind to all the unemployment.

To the person who said the charities don't help people who really need---I agree with you. I give tons of stuff away on freecycle. I won't give to the goodwill or the salvation army any more. When I see someone post that they need food, I'm the first one to offer up whatever I can give.

My kids joke with me because every time I buy them something new, it always comes with a " It was on clearance". I will not pay full price for anything.

I scrimp and save on groceries also. We eat quite well for the amount I spend. I keep my freezers stocked and cupboards full.

I wish my husband would learn that he could be out of a job tomorrow and then what?

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
People in North Amercia whine WAY TOO MUCH....Ask people in Kosovo
or Bosnia/Hercogovenia what life was like in the early 1990's - That was Hell!

My brother still has nightmares from having to dig out mass graves
where 18 month old babies were shot in the head in mass executions.

Or tell my brother how much we should whine when he went to Afghanistan
and talks about 8 year old boys walking WITH NO SHOES in almost
60 degree celcius heat (140F+) carrying HEAVY multi kilogram water
buckets because THERE IS NO ONE ELSE TO HELP THE FAMILIES
who STILL LIVE in mud houses and burn donkey dung as cooking fuel.

And tell my Brother and those Afghanis he met on anti-insurgent patrols
about your miseries when most of the village people he encountered had
never seen a fork before....and have NEVER had running water, toilets,
sinks, refrigerators, microwaves, vcr's or TV EVER IN THEIR LIVES !!!

When running shoes (or well manufacturered shoes of ANY kind)
are still a novelty and definite luxury! Car? Driven Where?
There's aren't any roads - only donkey trails!
Electricity? Lights? NOT !!! Bits of hair from animals soaked in animal fat
are your lighting for a few hours!

Trees? None! It's all rock and scraggly scrub where he is
and the villagers have to drink from rapidly disappearing
glacial meltwater which is carried in buckets made from
animal skins or salvaged from contaminated metals taken
off of soviet era shot down planes/helis or salvaged war scrap.

We in North America have NO EFFING IDEA !!! how the rest of
the world lives in it's permanent abject poverty...caused by
simple ignorance of science and lack of almost ANY type of
formal education.

AND WE with fairly advanced educations and common sense first world
knowledge should pull ourselves by our OWN bootstraps and SHOW the
world that WE still have what it takes rather than be such a nation of
crying whiners! I mean sh**, how are WE supposed to come together
in a SHTF scenario when we can't even get our own acts together
when we have it GREAT compared to the REST of the world!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
A couple of posters mentioned the lack of 'communal' spirit these days. You know its the same in Ireland and Taiwan and I guess every developed country almost. I've really been thinking about that a lot recently. My neighbours hardly talk to me and the way most of us work these days it's very anti-social, not much chance for human interaction. Lots of people live together in big families here and while it wouldn't be exactly my thing (it makes people less independent thinking and conservative IMO) it is nice to see the grandparents and even grandfathers (shock to me) strolling around with the kids. Modern life is missing something in this regard...we just don't get a chance to talk with people enough and use our hands and co-operative skills, no wonder I keep having dreams of running a drinks stand in a beach community somewhere where I could just chat with people and not deal with contract/agreements/ISO/quality/reports/e-mails/qualitycontrol staring at a computer screen and on and on (notice not to be a farmer, too much hard work LOL) ....

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by StargateSG7

I am sure that everyone who's posted on this thread are aware of the misery that is going on around the world. In fact most people who have posted here have acknowledged this fact and have said they are thankful for their blessings no matter their situation.
They are not whining. I asked them to describe their situation in my OP and some have chosen to do just that. What exactly do you find problematic with that? Can we not discuss this new America without having to hear you misdirected sermons?
Or are you suggesting that since there are people around the world who suffer way more than us, that denies us the right to discuss and try to improve our lives here?

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I used to be so secure, in my six-figure job....but now, I'm seeing some of the posts, and I see how arrogant I was.

Never used to have to have a 'budget'....still not good at that. AND, people constantly asking for this, or that...a few dollars here...."I'll pay you back"...well, I don't always get paid back.

I downsized, sold a house for a profit, just BEFORE the huge downturn....but that won't last long, based on the trend. Am looking to multiple Internet income sources.....some smarts, and a computer...heck, you can do it!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join