It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How are you coping these days? Share your story.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I am a business student in Southern California in my early twenties.

All of a sudden and with little warning, I have been forced to re-evaluate my entire future. This is due in part to my ever-evolving worldviews, but I am mostly troubled about my financial success in this economy.

I recently graduated with a film production degree, although by the end I realized Hollywood is no place for logic or sanity, and the entertainment industry is disgustingly cutthroat. Therefore, I decided to get a master's degree in business admin as to strenghten my resume and my chances at entrepreneurship.

With one year left of school for my MBA, I feel as if I am at a dire crossroads. My parents are retiring and can no longer help support the cost of my essentials (rent, food, utilities). The rate of my responsibilities are rising at an inverse proportion to the value of the money I'm making. I fear one more year of school will spit me out into a collapsed economy with no starting point or firm foundation to build from. However, if I drop school, I will be without an MBA degree, which seems to be much more important in the business world than actual capability.

If I weren't at peace with myself, I would be scared out of my wits. However, I am still endlessly frustrated and vexed on how to continue dealing with and surviving in a system doomed to fail.

But I'm not going to run, because that only means the system has won.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
My situation is not so sad.

I had my own business in the financial world, I worked mostly with small business owners. I heard more and more of these owners going bankrupt, or else, running for the hills with their tale between their legs as debts mounted and they knew you have to quite while your ahead.

Which is what I did.

I no longer have my business because every month the bills got larger, the revenue lower. All the while, working more and more hours to stay black.

I bailed with enough in savings to just kind of chill out.. I am only 22 and I am thinking of going back to school.. pursue my original dreams.. So I sit around and wash my car and chill by the pool, have a drink .. I can't complain.

I am however moving back in with the rents for a month before I move across the country.. a better economy out there, and a bigger city (not enough to do around here for me) .. so Oregon here I come!

Buying a house, the woman got a really nice job.. I will be going back to school.. might re-open the business part time .. have not decided..

But my area I live in now .. is a dump .. they did a lot to restore the city, billions spent.. and it failed.. no one will go down town, crime is to high .. it's abandoned.. the News paper here screamed their lungs out at people for being traitors to the city by closing offices and moving far away from downtown..

Then the same week the news paper left down town. Most of the skyscrapers are empty, though few people know that..

One building I worked at a long time ago was only 20% filled..

Anyways, like I said, I am leaving like most college aged kids in Ohio, and I am moving somewhere 2.5k miles away.. start a new life, new dreams, meet new people and make a new identity for myself.

I think everyone is feeling the economic squeeze.. some more then others, some really feel it.. I feel sorry for anyone making under $10 an hour anymore, working away and not having enough money to enjoy life..

If I could give advise, I would say to the people who will know what I am talking about..

When the bill collectors call, and the credit card dues are mounting, and you are backed several months on car payments, just lost your insurance, about to be evicted...

Don't let the burdens of Modern Life harm your outlook on life.. I have been there, I know what it can be like.. I used to get upset when I was faced with those burdens.. and the depression, the exhaustion .. it can destroy you.

Only you yourself can make life into nothing more then servitude for the illusion of happiness.

Some of the best times in my life so far have been dirt poor, but with friends, no worries, and a good beer. And as you can see from my story above, sometimes life throws you a good pitch, and you make it when you least expect it.

[edit on 7/2/2008 by Rockpuck]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Lets see,

Can't pay my electricity bill, so I'll be disconnected....soon.
I'm a bit in debt.

Anyone have a generator they can donate? Life is getting hard.

Wish I had some way of getting electricity.

[edit on 2-7-2008 by CommanderSinclair]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I have major respect for what you are going through. I have been there too my friend and expect that I will be there again in another 8 months. I work in the IT field and its not as stable as some people think.

Lets just put it this way, in the IT field unless you somehow land a permanent job with a Government or Health Care organization, all and I mean ALL other jobs you find will be contract jobs. That means that you can get a job with some corporation or small/medium business and you will be good for a while but it will eventually end. And when it ends you have to have something lined up or else your up a creek with no paddle.

These contract jobs can last anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months to sometimes even a year. There have been times where my contract ended and I was not able get a job for a long time. There have been times where I was unemployed for a long time, once it was 6 months and could not get unemployment because of complications.

I think I am just rambling on here so I will cut it short and get to the point.

My point: I have been there too and expect to be there again, the best thing that I can tell you is, don't let the stress of debut get to you. Just do what you have to do to survive, if that credit card thing is working keep doing it and don't worry about the debut.

Trust me, very soon we will all not have to worry about debut because it will all be going away very soon. You my friend are in the situation you are in now because the system is broken beyond repair and is in the process of collapsing, which is a good thing. We need it to collapse so that we can build a new one, one that works and is not full of corruption.

Whatever you do, do not blame yourself. It is not your fault it is the broken system. Just hang in there buddy, it is worth it in the end, trust me.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Well, I definately fell a sadness reading this thread. This is truely heartbreaking listening to the stories form the other members.

I would like to say that there is something positive that may come of all of this. This is a way to network with people. There are people that are reading this that may know of job opportunities. Even though all we read is the bad, there are people out there that are hiring, and looking for people.

Start talking about what your abilities are and where you live, and believe it or not, there may be some good come out of it.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by CommanderSinclair

Here is what you need mate --

1. Black clothing for sneaking around.
2. Black extension cord, about 100 feet or so in length..
3. Mission Impossible music..
4. A unsuspecting neighbor....
5. Enjoy free electricity.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

thanks but that would probably land me in jail.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Interesting story you have, Rockpuck.

I'm also 22 and I moved from Illinois to California. It was probably the best thing I have ever done for myself. However, it's not because the place I moved to was better. Granted, it was more urban, more advanced, and wealthier. But what I ended up realizing is the life is in the small communities, it's just unfortunate that small town folk are on the outskirts of the capitalist system, so they tend to only get the worst of everything (the fewest opportunities, worst education, slower commerce).

But true country people really have it figured out. Once I'm finished with school here, I am going to take over my grandfather's farm in central Illinois, try to run a graphic design business, and grow my own food. The city, IMO, is the worst place to be right now.

However, I respect your desire for a change of scenery, and you seem intelligent enough to make the best out of it, no matter what the situation.

Good luck!

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by whitl103

Thanks, Oregon is an interesting place, I can buy a house in a mountain with pine trees unable to see my neighbor, and only be 10 mins from downtown.

We only have 3 good bars in my town.. I need more drinking variety while I can still down the Guinness.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
here in the Uk the locals are just starting murmerings of dissent at tax /fuel/crime and for a brit to start ,it must be bad the government seem to be laughing it off ,probleem what problem,I think it may kick off here if we have a hot summer.
I will be looking at survival uk thread for sure ,things looking worse by the day.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I've only been once, but the week I spent in Oregon was excellent. As part of a touring musical group, I stayed with a couple different locals whom I hadn't met before.

The people were very peaceful and kind (although a little bit yuppy for my Midwest taste, but variety is a beautiful thing), some of the nicest Americans I've met.

I feel you on the issue of good bars. They definitely have a few recreational, uhm, consumables up there that can't be beat (variety is a beautiful thing).

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
welcome to oregon Rock puck. One of the best places to live on earth imho.

My story:

my wages are being garnished for a hospital bill that we couldn't pay (couple thousand from when I was in the hospital that my insurance didn't cover)...we are able to pay our bills, we are able to pay for my meds, we are able to pay for my doctor visits, we are able to pay for gas, my husband uses the mass transit. Portland boasts one of the best transit systems in the country and we make use of it. Luckily, I have a back up in my mom. She helps us sometimes when things get really bad. We don't go out anymore though, and I suppose that helps some too.

When it all comes down to it, we are doing ok. If we were to have any sort of situation x where mass amounts of money are needed, we would be screwed. Both of us have jobs, he works part time (no hours at his job) and I work fulltime and we do ok. We are able to keep the food bill down by using the store brands and by eating ramen noodles and other things. Food is low on the list of worries, with meds being the top priority and some of them cost 50-70 a month. When you have about 8 meds to take it can really add up but we are doing it.

I guess you can say that we are making it, paycheck to paycheck, but we are making it.

We do have some credit card debt that we haven't settled yet, but that can come later after the garnishment is finished.

Tela

[edit on 7/2/2008 by Telafree]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
My life is just barely manageable. I have had to cut out going out completely. I used to enjoy going to nightclubs every weekend and eating out several times a week.
Now, I stay home and watch tv, walk/play with my 3 dogs, surf the net, etc because it is just to expensive to go out and maintain.
My dogs eat 40$ a week in food plus monthlies like heartworm and insect prevention. I try to limit myself to eating as cheaply as possible and when I do buy up and cook, I make it last for days.
I carpool to and from work (my longest daily commute) and stay in my small area of town for everything else to limit how much gas I consume.
All of that is just so that my check-2-check life will cover rent, electric, phone/net, etc. I am even considering lowering or dropping my HSA and 401K payouts just to get the small increase in my monthly take home pay. I wrestle with that decision and keep putting it off hoping that things will turn around before something that extreme becomes necessary.
I have taken a part time job to increase my income and reduce my free time which should begin to show some dividend in the near future.

To all of you that are in more dire situations, I can only wish you good fortune and strong will to make it through without having to resort to lower forms of criminal life. To those that planned ahead and are holding above water, congratulations. Keep up the good work and spread hope where and when you can to those struggling to make something positive happen.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
i only make about 200 every 2 weeks..i go to school and have a job i love but the hours suck but the reason i stick with my job is because i work for the military and i get the full on medical dental and vision benefits plus al the perks of on base like somewhat cheaper gas..free gym usage free movies free pool etc..not to mention my customers are hot haha
i want to get another job but i WANT/NEED to keep going to school it really bums me out because all my life i try and try to go to school then theres these setbacks like well u gotta work..i ve had to drop my classes many a time because i simply needed the money and extra shift at work ugh..
the gas prices are hurting me badly and school. myparents help a little but they are just getting by themselves!
i dont even have money to develop my pictures for my class

i have no degree and i can't get a "professional" job..but that's what i am in school for.

im hoping to get more hours and i am working hard to get promoted to shift manager .
i wish i could JUST go to school right now and focus on that.. ugh

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Ahhh...to be young and full of dreams again

When I was 22, same age as you, I packed up my dog and everything I could fit into two large duffle bags and boarded a plane for Los Angeles, CA and left my home and the east coast behind.

I think I had around $500 to my name at the time, and a beautiful girl waiting for me at the other end of that ticket. Stayed gone for the better part of eight years.... and I had myself a blast. I saw things and met people that I never would have otherwise and do not regret my decisions.

Even though I eventually came back home with my tail between my legs, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything in the whole world. When I look back on my life IF or when I make it to old age, those years will be remembered as the best of my life.

Best of luck on your journey Rock, I hope it all works out for you

P.S. - Oregon rocks, you will love it

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by wheresthetruth
Now, I stay home and watch tv, walk/play with my 3 dogs, surf the net, etc because it is just to expensive to go out and maintain.

Pets are the best.

I would suggest replacing the TV with books. I, after YEARS of piling up books I thought may be interesting, finally turned off the tube and delved into literature.

It has personally freed my mind to an amazing degree. The thought of going home after work and sitting silently while my imagination runs wild with a book is what keeps me going nowadays.

TV only pisses me off.

p.s. I still find value in The Office, South Park, and occasionally Letterman or Jon Stewart. I'm not a snob.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
IM living paycheck to paycheck myself. But i live with my sister and her finace, in a house thats paid off. Only thing that sucks here in stamford, CT, is property taxes went up effective yesterday. So, every 6 months, 20,000sq. ft. comes to about $2,500. 10 years ago, it was half that. Its all because our stupid mayor is dong all these projects in our city, now a $400 million sewer upgrade. Last year, our local water company ( Aquarion) upgraded, taxes went up becuase of that.
But, alot here are dong the same now as well...buying whats on sale, and not endulging in stupid luxury items..... aka cell phone, ipod, ect.
i take care of what i have.. honestly, i have a 1995 plymouth neon. I do my own oil changes, and have things repaired when needed. Takes about $26 to fill the tank.. and its not bad on gas actually...except for the traffic here, its murder sometimes..so that easts up alot of gas. BY a week, at 75% full, tanks is on a quarter line. And that just driving 16 miles a day!

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
TO annonymous member (picutre of coth-masked guy with shades on) ide like too offer some friendly advice..
yoou shouldnt let th gas level get to hovering jsut over E, because at any given moment, the gas can below level of the feul pump, and egnine will shut off! Generally, once gas get to a quarter of a gallon, you shuold fill up, becuase you dont know what coul happen next few minutes to gas station...might get stuck on strete, or the engine or PCM in car, can suck a little more gas thatn needed at the wrong time. Rememeber, todays sensor engines, take everything into consideration, outside and inside engine temperature, air temperautre, engine coolant temp.. and uses all that to adjust gas flow to engin accordingly. Dirty air fitler will also cuase VERY poor gas consumtion.
Also, inside the gas tank, thier might be rust or crap that builds up over years, at botttom of tank, if gas level drops ot E alot, yuo could plug up your fuel filter, IF the vehicle has one, or worse, all tha crap can get sucked into the feul lines, and into engine NOT good.
Just wnated to pass some friendly info on

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

Ahhh...to be young and full of dreams again

When I was 22, same age as you, I packed up my dog and everything I could fit into two large duffle bags and boarded a plane for Los Angeles, CA and left my home and the east coast behind.

I think I had around $500 to my name at the time, and a beautiful girl waiting for me at the other end of that ticket. Stayed gone for the better part of eight years.... and I had myself a blast. I saw things and met people that I never would have otherwise and do not regret my decisions.

Even though I eventually came back home with my tail between my legs, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything in the whole world. When I look back on my life IF or when I make it to old age, those years will be remembered as the best of my life.

Best of luck on your journey Rock, I hope it all works out for you

P.S. - Oregon rocks, you will love it

Wow, I did that too at 22. I had 300 bucks and a plane ticket to Reno.
Of course I was alone then, no family and pets, and a little bit on the
impulsive side! But I made it
It was hard. I was homeless three weeks in November snow, but found a boarding house for woman and they let me move in while I was looking for a job, and I paid them back,... rest was history.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I am sadly amazed at the stories I read here. But if you see the TV it seems that they are broadcasting from another planet.
The media is trying to sell the concept of a reality in which only the rich and famous matter, Paris Hilton gets more coverage than the people loosing their homes to fire, flood or debt.
Have you seen the amount of Mercedes Benz and BMW's in any booming town? The prices in luxury restaurants? Have you thought about the lifestyle portraid in Sex and the City?
My point is that the U.S. is becoming more unequal, unfair and elitist day after day and its citizens appear to be too shocked to even understand what is going on.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join