It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John McCain Doesn't know the Price of Gas

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
This surprises anyone how exactly? The man is just like Bush, Cheney, and all the rest, in that they are so rich and powerful, they send some errand boy, Secret Service, or otherwise, some lower end schmuck to pump his gasoline, filling his tank, and putting it on the Government credit card to boot.

Anyone who actually thought this man or any other politician actually would know the price of gasoline, other than that it's pumping millions of pay-offs into their pockets is as silly as Bush is stupid.

You really think the politicians would slum with us citizens?
Right.

[edit on 28-6-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Originally posted by grover
That being said McCain should at the very least know that oil is over $140 a barrel and getting worse and he really should know (or have a general idea) what Joe Blow is paying for gas and how its making a mess of everything.

Stop with the theatrics, grover. You're just trying to stir up an issue where there is none.

Ask Obama the same question. He doesn't even know how many states there are in the US.:shk:

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
So after seeing this you still think any random person in America can become president ? I think there are thousands of smarter people over there, who know stuff and would want to work for their country as president.
Of course there is no chance for any of them , see this video at 16.45 :

Google Video Link

The video is called "Spin", don't know why the link does not work now, here is another :
video.google.com...

[edit on 29-6-2008 by pai mei]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mad_Hatter
John McCain is a normal forgetful person just like everyone else and I'm sure he makes his fair share of mistakes. The only difference is, when he makes his mistakes, the camera is there to catch them.

He forgot that gas is over $4 at an all time high!?

That's a pretty big thing to forget. You'd think that being a presidential candidate with economics as a major issue he would know about gas prices. These aren't really something that you forget about... it would seem as though he doesn't even pay attention to it... which as a presidential candidate he definitely should be doing.

My mom suffers from memory loss (suffered a stroke) and she doesn't drive now... it's been since about November. I could ask her what gas costs and she would know that it's over $4. I could ask her another question about a daily activity but she would forget because of her problem but she knows that gas is very, very high... even though she hasn't driven or been in the car when it gets filled up for a few months... just like McCain. So why is it acceptable for him (a presidential candidate not suffering memory loss) to not know the price of gas even though a woman (with memory loss) knows the price?

My point is... if this guy doesn't pay attention or remember the currently record high gas price... what else won't he pay attention to later on?

First telling poverty ridden people to go to eBay to solve their problems (which speech he took from one of his money donors) and now not even knowing that gas is at a record high... it seems John McCain shows his true self and that is that he isn't in touch with economic problems (hell, he said the current economic state is fine!!!) and that he pays more attention to his money donors priorities than that of the people he wants to represent. So far he seems as one of the worst candidates in a while.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
This is really ridiculous, grover. You didn't think this one through at all. Neither of the two presidential candidates are going to be able to tell you what the average price of a gallon of gas is after as much campaign traveling as they've done.

Generally speaking, these are people who, when traveling, get off their plane and head straight to either a reserved rental car or a chauffered ride. If it's a chauffered ride, then they wouldn't even have a chance to see a feul pump, let alone pump gas. If it's a rental car, they're gonna check the little box that gives them a fully feuled up car and charges their account however much it takes to return that car to full after it is returned.

I commute through Issaquah WA, Bellevue WA, and Seattle WA every weekday. I pass a handfull of stations on the way. I couldn't tell you what the prices of gas are at any of those stations after driving past them if you put a gun to my head. I can tell you what the price is in North Bend, WA on any given day because that's where I feul up at, however. The same thing is going on here. Let's say McCain or Obama returned home for a few days and filled up their personal vehicle while there. Arizona's gas prices are generally higher than the national average. So let's say he paid $4.50 a gallon. Now let's say he had answered the question he was asked with "Well, it's costing $4.50 a gallon to get gas right now." There'd be a boatload of idiots out there that would immediately say "Hey, wait... the national average for gas is only $4.10 (or whatever it is), McCain is out of touch with the entirety of the nation!" Or, even worse, there'd surely be at least a couple of posts like this here: "John McCain Slips Up and Admits $4.50 Gas Around Corner."

I'd love to see what Obama's answer to the question would be and how you'd spin it when his answer was roughly the same as McCain's. Unfortunately that won't happen since that question falls just a hair's width into the "Question too difficult and hard hitting for Barrack, ABORT! ABORT!" category. So there's almost no chance the MSM would ever ask it and even less of a chance that he'd ever do anything other than chuckle at the question and then go into some soliloquy about how the media is trying to distract American voters from the real issues through questions like this (unless, of course, they're asked of his opponent, in which case the voters have a right to know.)

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hypntick
I also think that if this question was asked of obama and he didn't know and someone called him on it, they'd be labeled a racist.

I see this argument alot and it just isn't valid anymore. It's used so much that it makes me wonder whether this accusation is actually being seeded by those making the accusation in the first place. And from that point on, spreads like peanut butter.

I'm not saying people don't react in this way..Some people do. But the action of a stupid few do not reflect the views of every Obama supporter. There are idiots in every walk of life.

[edit on 29-6-2008 by projectvxn]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
This dosen't suprise me. That guy is as old as dirt. He probably can't even see the gas prices, with his ancient eyes....smh. He still has my vote though

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Breaking news indeed, what a waste of space on this site.

How about the front page redesigned so it is not always Politics on the front.

How about the ability to vote topics down and not just flagged.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Oh my god, for a site that's logo is "deny ignorance", it has some pretty ignorant users. Did a single one of you read the actual question? Well, a few of you clearly did, and that's a start.

WISCKOL: When was the last time you pumped your own gas and how much did it cost?

McCAIN: Oh, I don't remember. Now there's Secret Service protection. But I've done it for many, many years. I don't recall and frankly, I don't see how it matters.

I'm not going to lie, I HATE McCain, but the man is only saying that he doesn't remember how much his last self-pumped tank of gas cost, and when it was pumped. Why does the secret service pump his gas? I imagine it's a security issue, but I can't say for sure.

Like StudioGuy pointed out, this whole thread is just bending a quote, from an already questionable source, into a very poorly interpreted smear. The worst part is, people went with it.

This is just sad grover, from an experienced user like yourself, this is in poor taste. Just because I am a newer member doesn't mean I won't thoroughly read into your post as well as the article. This is not breaking news.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Ok, so on with the silliness.....

This has to qualify for the goofiest thread this election season...

McCain does not know the price of Gas... As it changes each day, neither do I.. Am I senile?

Obama does not know how many states we have.... I at least know that one.. (It is still 50 isn't it?
)

Mud slinging extraordinary...

Congratulations on taking the top tier...

Semper

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Here are some more "misquotes" for those that enjoy them...

and

I particularly enjoy the part where it looks like he is actually trying to remember the 57 states he has traveled to..

Semper

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Gas Prices?

Simple..

The Senate plans to vote on an offshore drilling bill next week that would open more than 8 million acres to energy development in the Gulf of Mexico. Although the bill’s passage appears to be safe, Democrats are already lining up to oppose it.

Even though the Senate bill is only a modest step in comparison with a much stronger House equivalent, Democrats opposed to it will once again prove they have a greater interest in keeping gas prices high than letting Americans drill our own oil to reduce the need from the Middle East.

Human Events

Democrats voting to increase gas prices

That's the truth. There is really no denying it. Oh sure sometimes they are voting to increase gas prices by "not voting" but it is still a position they hold and it is time that Republicans (unfortunately McCain can't do it) pin this issue squarely on the Dems where it belongs.

Investor’s Business Daily, the free-market newspaper, has pointed out that Democrats are a prime cause of killer oil and gas prices. About a week ago the Senate failed to end the moratorium on oil-shale development in Colorado. Republicans voted for removing that moratorium; Democrats voted against. But voters put more Democrats in office than Republicans, so here we are.

NW Rep

And of course...

Gas Price History

As one can clearly see just prior to and after the elections in which you all voted in a Democrat controlled House and Senate, gas prices went through the roof..

Keep listening to the spin and ignoring the FACTS and you may be even more sorry this election..

I tell all of my friends that vote Democrat to shut up about gas prices as they got what they wished for...

Semper

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Xeroxed_Horizon

Yes.
This entire thing is faulty. And has nothing to do with being a partisan voter or having a favored candidate.
The guy said he didn't remember the price of gasoline the last time he pumped his own gas.
So what?
I'm sure the guy has a ballpark figure in his head of the CURRENT price. He wasn't asked about that.
And to criticize this high ranking national politician for not pumping gas is really stupid.
Running for president is dangerous.
I really don't get it. If you can't find better stuff about McCain than this sloppy, absurd and confounded baseless attack article then ... it's sad.

I mean he's not even fun to make fun of. Neither of these candidates are. They're both pretty clean. (I know, everyone SHOULD be contesting that statement...)

For me, the problem here is the number of people willing to chime in on something so petty, but worse yet, totally false.

It's scary people. This post is the third time this condemning bit of truth has been pointed out, and yet it is ignored. What gives?
Are we that dishonest and cheap? Willing to believe anything negative about our political antagonist without being critical?

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I still say that McCain, Obama, Clinton, any of them, while they may not know the last time they pumped their own gas or how much they paid, should know what the average person is facing.

If he had been asked that exact same question at one of his town meetings and had given that exact same answer, he would have been booed off of the stage.

It is important.

And no my head is not stuck up Obama's ass... I support him because he will be the nominee, not because I was in favor of him... I wanted someone with a lot more experience like Richardson.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Truly. Had he been asked that question by a private taxpayer/voter and given that answer, it wouldn't have been received very well.

But that isn't the case, is it? It's a loaded question for a press corps representative to be asking. There is no good way to answer the question and the reporter knew that. It's just so petty and stupid.

I'd take great exception to that type of crap-tactic used against any public figure. It's just cheap.
And what bearing does it have on the question of wether or not this fella is qualified and capable of acting as CEO for one of the largest organizations ever known? What's the implication that he didn't give this inquiry any real effort to answer in a PR way?
Could it be just what he said? That it doesn't make any difference? I can only assume that McCain would attempt to recall his last time operating the gas pump if the question were posed in a Town Hall meeting. It would be foolish not to.
And it is ludicrous to suggest that the man is unaware of gas price trends. Heck. I can recall the major shifts in petroleum prices and I really don't sweat that stuff.

Not defending McCain. Just defending standards. Dignity for ALL of us.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

I actually wouldn't expect McCain to know the price of gas. He's been a Senator for many, many years. He SHOULD know how it impacts average Americans, but $4 a gallon probably wouldn't mean much to him. Long-time politicians make a lot of money and don't have the context of what $4 a gallon means. Ya know? Obama probably doesn't know either.

Semper, you have NO ROOM to cry "mud-slinging" as that's ALL I've seen from you in the political threads. And I mean every post. It's comical that you accuse others of it. You know I respect you but this spamming with mud-slinging videos while accusing others of mud-slinging is getting absurd.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Congress and the Senate know very well the price of gas. They are purposely trying to make the gas prices higher, in a noble effort to force oil companies to invest in renewable energy sources.

Their cause is noble, but has problems. Personally I'd just rather have cheaper gas now and worry about renewable energy later.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by OrangeAlarmClock

I think you have it bass akward.

The oil companies are enroning us to force congress into allowing them to drill wherever they want to.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrangeAlarmClock
Personally I'd just rather have cheaper gas now and worry about renewable energy later.

Oh, now there's a progressive idea! Use the hell out of the resources we have and let our kids deal with the mess we make...
That's what people have been saying for 30 years. That's why we're where we are right now.

[edit on 29-6-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Yes, I really don't want to be forced to live on bread and water and in debt just for the sickos in congress can go about forcing the oil companies to invest/research alternative energy sources.

$4.50/gallon gas which I'm paying now is insane. I have a decently paying job $12/hr and with the price of gas, I even struggle to survive. And congress wants it at least $6/gallon by the end of this year.

Their plan is to make gas so expensive that no one wants to buy it, forcing the oil companies to invest in other energy sources. So while our grand children might get a better deal, we have to suffer? No thanks.

Congress can go shove it, and find a better way to deal with this mess other than raising the price of gas.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join