It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John McCain Doesn't know the Price of Gas

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   

John McCain Doesn't know the Price of Gas

www.huffingtonpost.com

John McCain kind of stepped in it the other day, here in California, but luckily no one noticed. He was being driven from John Wayne airport to a fundraiser, and he took a quick call from Martin Wisckol of the Orange County Register. Wisckol asked him a series of softball questions so tedious McCain's driver had to crack the window so the breeze would keep him from passing out, but then this:

WISCKOL: I'd like to ask you a couple questions suggested by voters here. They're not reporter-type questions.

McCAIN: Sure. It'd be a pleasure.

WISCKOL: When was the last time you pumped your own gas and how much did it cost?

McCAIN: Oh, I don't remember. Now there's Secret Service protection. But I've done it for many, many years. I don't recall and frankly, I don't see how it matters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-6-2008 by grover]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
How many ways can you spell clueless?

Given the fact that the price of gas is rapidly reaching crisis level and he is runing as the can do candidate, you would think he would keep up on stuff like this.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Did his health report giving him a clean bill mention senility or mad republicans disease?

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
While I find that completely ridiculous, I'm not at all shocked. The so-called "rich & powerful" steer clear of manual labor. Heaven forbid they get their hands dirty or have to see what they are actually spending. Thank goodness for backhanded accountants who play Robin Hood in their spare time.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Why can't we find something better to argue about or smear him with...like, uh, I'd say..his political policies and his stance on issues...not whether or not the man pumps his own gas. Why don't we just talk about where he gets his clothes or whether or not he's a muslim...christ....

Here's a headline that may interest you:

"John McCain didn't brush his teeth this morning!"

Oooh Nooooo!

This would not surprise me if this quote was something taken totally out of context or twisted around just like everyone does to any political candidate.

[edit on 6/28/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

Because the price of gas is reaching crisis level and is rapidly damaging the economy... he should know this stuff.

Unlike bogus Obama is a Muslim issues, this is real and it is affecting real lives...

... need I repeat... he should know this stuff.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The price of gas varies from one area to another by a LARGE amount, especially when you are talking state to state so not knowing the price of gas is not surprising. And now that the Secret Service is toting him around (which he put off for a VERY long time), you can bet that they are filling the tanks when he is NOT in the car.

The last time that HE pumped gas could have been a month ago and the cost would have been significantly cheaper than what it is today, therefor, it would have no relevance.

McCain is aware of the pain at the pump Americans are experiencing which is why he suggested a lift of the federal tax for the summer. That might not have been a HUGE amount of relief but SOMETHING is better than NOTHING.

Just my two cents.

Oh, one more thing ... my husband is constantly checking out gas prices and keeps up with which stations in our area have the lowest prices. If you were to interview him as he was leaving the gas station and ask him how much he spent filling up the tank he wouldn't be able to tell you! It drives me crazy but for whatever reason he pays attention to the price per gallon but never looks at the grand total after filling the tank.

Jemison

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
He should at the very least know that it is at or above $4 a gallon, I mean come on now... unless he doesn't read the paper or watch the news, how could he not know?

Either way as a man running for president, he should know. That is the issue, he should know.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Grover, I'm really not trying to offend you or anything, just trying to bring the other side of the issue here.

This article obviously comes from someone who is biased against John McCain and jumped on one piece of information in order to smear him with it. His subtle sarcasms toward McCain make it apparent that he is not a fan of him.

Also, you forgot to mention the last part of the interview in your effort to make him look bad:

I've been on the campaign trail for so long I don't remember when I last filled up my own gas tank, but I certainly did for many, many, many years and I understand the difficulties and challenges that it poses for the people of California and my home state of Arizona. I thank you, my friend.

John McCain is a normal forgetful person just like everyone else and I'm sure he makes his fair share of mistakes. The only difference is, when he makes his mistakes, the camera is there to catch them.

[edit on 6/28/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Its not a good thing, but its also not a major problem. The vast majority of elected officials at the national level probably do not know specifically what the price of gasoline or various other basic necessities are. I doubt Obama knows, either, unless his advisors have prepped him for that question on the campaign trail.

That's not a particularly good thing at all, mind you, but it is unfair to hold John McCain to a higher standard than anyone else in elected office. Yes, he may be running for the highest office in the land, but your elected congressional representatives have at least as much power collectively to influence various market prices as the president.

They're all completely clueless with regards to specifics.

But does John McCain realize that fuel prices in general are a major problem? Indeed, I'm 100% convinced that he does. I'm sure that Barack Obama does, too, as does virtually every politician in the country. I can live with that.

Its a good partisan talking-point, but realistically, its not that important as long as he understands that there is a problem.

[edit on 28-6-2008 by vor78]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Either way as a man running for president, he should know. That is the issue, he should know.

Just more evidence that the corporations, lobbyist and special interest are the focus of politicians; not the poor working man, struggeling just to make ends meet.

"The voters, Taxpayers and citizens are just chumps to be used and manipulated to pay for wars, subsidies, no bid contracts, that make the rich even richer.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

I don't need to make him look bad, he's perfectly capable of doing that himself... this is an issue though, if the man doesn't know something so basic and affecting so many then why should he be president.

It is far more revelant than Obama's middle name and all of that other crap... this is actually about an issue.

And no i did not take offense.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by akabetty
While I find that completely ridiculous, I'm not at all shocked. The so-called "rich & powerful" steer clear of manual labor. Heaven forbid they get their hands dirty or have to see what they are actually spending. Thank goodness for backhanded accountants who play Robin Hood in their spare time.

That statement leads me to believe you haven't had any personal experience with the "rich & powerful". While it may hold some weight when talking about wanna-be's, new money and some of the Hollywood crowd, the truly wealthy spend a great deal of time keeping track of their spending and they certainly don't shy away from 'manual labor'.

Personally, I don't view pumping gas as manual labor, but for the record, in California, it is very rare to find gas stations that still offer 'full service'. And according to my Mother in law (someone please tell me if she's full of it), in states like Washington, you don't have the option of pumping your own gas and 'full service' is your only option. The last time McCain filled his tank he may have been in a state where self service was not allowed.

The cost of gas has been increasing on almost a daily basis and the price varies across the country and even across the street. There is no reason for John McCain to know that on 6/27/08, gas was 4.99 a gallon in La Jolla, 4.39 a gallon in Palm Desert and 4.79 a gallon in Laguna Beach. What IS important for McCain to know is that the cost is excruciating to ALL Americans and that something must be done to offer relief.

McCain knows the bottom line and he is working to figure out a solution. To jump on him for not discussing a dollar amount that he personally spent on filling his tank, which has no relevance to the American public, is petty. If you find THAT inexcusable I would hope that you are even more disgusted and upset that there is a candidate who is unable to keep track of how many states there are ... especially when that number has remained the same throughout that candidates lifetime!

Jemison

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
and neither does bush but that really means nothing.For the most part these people are millionaires.They invest in oil.The price rising makes them money.
Do you think Nancy Pelosi pumps her own gas?Maybe you haven't noticed but these people are not looking out for the little guy they cater to corporations.Personally I could care less what McCain knows about gas prices.I could care less what Pelosi or Obama know about the price of gas.I care about the constitution and the fact that very few of them care about it.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I'll agree John McCain is not all there. I'll rank this one right up there with comparing ANWR to the Grand Canyon.

"Hey honey, where do you want to take the kids this year on vacation, The Grand Canyon, or ANWR?"

But seriously, gas prices vary from region to region. I have never paid over $4.00 for a gallon of gas, but I hear in other places people are paying over $5.00. I guess the question could have been a little vague.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I'll tell you what's clueless. Clueless citing the Huffington Post as a credible news source, instead of the left-wing propaganda rag that it is.

John McCain probably hasn't filled a gas tank since before the campaign started.

The price of gasoline varies by as much as twenty-thirty cents per gallon in any given locale and it can vary by nearly that much from day to day.

John McCain has shown in the past that he's not going to play stupid games with anyone in this campaign.

The price of gasoline is sky high and it's going to get worse.

Do you think that McCain doesn't know that?

Does knowing that the Chevron station down the street has unleaded for 3.89 and that the Shell station next to the interstate is selling unleaded for $4.22 really make that much difference?

John McCain is not so clueless that he has failed to reconsider his position on continental shelf oil drilling and has called for reducing the restrictions on such drilling.

Sen. John McCain called yesterday for an end to the federal ban on offshore oil drilling, offering an aggressive response to high gasoline prices and immediately drawing the ire of environmental groups that the presumptive Republican presidential nominee has courted for months.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Now, is John McCain clueless or is he man who is intelligent and thoughtful enough to reconsider his stance on domestic oil drilling, even if it might cost him votes from the lunatic left, who also thinks that he's clueless because he can't quote the exact price of gasoline at any given moment, something that no can do, unless all you do is track gasoline prices.

[edit on 2008/6/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Grover, while you and I agree on many things, I would appreciate seeing the courtesy of posting articles in their full context. You know I'm an Obama supporter, but beyond that I support facts and accurate information, hence my membership to ATS. You and I have spent thread after thread fighting exactly this kind of crap. You will find it very hard to get your point across if you use the same tactics as the opposition.

Posts like this can only hurt your case. You may have noticed that I no longer post to those ridiculous Obama threads, I may have to do the same with unsubstantial McCain stories if this current trend continues. Reason being? I'm looking for something real.

Obama '08

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Let me say this i clipped what i thought was pertinant. I know that a politico doesn't pump his own gas, and i figured everyone else knew that too.

And yes its obvious that prices vary but still he is running for president and he should know what people are facing out here... that is of course the people aren't his constituants.

So grady what am I supposed to cite? Right wing propaganda rags?

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

False dichotomy, grover.

The article in no way proves that McCain doesn't know what we are facing out here.

The petroleum issue is possibly the most salient issue of the election.

So far, McCain has proven that he knows there's a problem and he's willing to do something about it, instead of quoting tired clichés.

What have the Democrats had to say about the gas prices?

What are their remedies?

I haven't heard one, yet.

[edit on 2008/6/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
McCain, like many others in positions of power are out of touch with the "common folk." This should come as no surprise.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join