It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US halts solar energy projects over environment fears

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   

US halts solar energy projects over environment fears

www.telegraph.co.uk

The US government is putting a hold on new solar energy projects on public land for two years so it can study the environmental impact of sun-driven plants.

The Bureau of Land Management says the moratorium on solar proposals is needed to determine how a new generation of large-scale projects could affect plants and wildlife on the land it manages.

The move has angered some solar energy proponents who argue it could hold up the industry at a vital juncture, given the pressing need to secure alternative energy sources at a time of soaring oil prices. "This technology has been around for nearly three decades.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Hi guys just landed here at ATS and surprised that no one talking about this latest news about "halting solar energy projects". I think if the news i wish was USA lowering its green houses gas its sound better then what we come to it.I think but truth is it snot hurting environment but to company who not ready to share their market with new upcoming energy source. I think its hurting thr profit & fearing of loosing markets hare.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-6-2008 by shunia]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Its funny we don't (and We I mean our gubment) do not seem so concerned about the environment when it comes to drilling off shore etc. If this isn't something thats is being pushed by big oil lobbyists I'll eat my hat.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Strikes me as a BS deal as well.

Southern California Edison has had a pilot plant (Solar 1 if I rmember right) going for 15-20 years now.

Youda thought they had it figured out by now.

When things like this happen I wonder if the tree-huggers are in bed with the oil companies....

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I find it both ironic and hilarious at the same time!

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

How about we just live?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I find it interesting that this new has to 'break' from a UK source, a quick google search shows that this is largely unreported over here. Given the current state of affairs on the energy front i would imagine that most US residents would find this roadblock to be troubling at the very least.

As mentioned by DD, they've had many years to understand the dynamics of deploying solar energy. BLM can bite my [oops]. At least there are plenty of other of options aside from public land (who's land?) for projects.

A recent program in california by Southern California Edison plans to install 65,000,000 square feet of solar panels on the rooftops of businesses in Riverside and San Bernadino counties. That's only 2 square miles of panels but it illustrates that there are plenty of other options besides solar farms.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Seeing as how this is an action taken by the BLM it reeks of W's influence and agenda. There is also a lot of 'controversy' over wind projects as well, where there is concern for bird populations.

I am a huge proponent of the environment and alternative energy. Where I do see that these technologies can and do present environmental risks the comparison to todays mainstays (oil, coal, and nuclear) these alternatives impacts pale in comparison.

This is is MHO that these actions are indeed politically / economically motivated.

Also it has been reported by NYT link

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
What environmental impact?

I mean, the only feasible thing I can think of is the manufacturing process... which is no-where near as harmful as the manufacturing process of other fuel sources and generators.

This is ridiculous.

If they're talking about it soaking up sun that plants could have had... every single man made structure does that... the difference is, all other man made structures just waste the solar energy.

Clearly this was done by the oil companies.

Do they really think we're idiots?

I've never heard of nuclear, oil, coal, or otherwise shut down to measure the effects on the environment...
yet here's the power plant that has no environmental setback while in operation... and ITS THE ONE BEING SHUT DOWN?!

I say we demand ALL oil and coal plants are also shut down, because we KNOW they have environmental safety issues.

[edit on 27-6-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by shunia

This is Bush's Lobbyist trying to profit from the new technology, they know the oil will not pay soon and they want to give themselves the oppertunity to railroad the country one last time and figure out how to profit from the industry.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
This coming from the governement that is heavily backing ethanol.....

Ooooh the irony

[edit on 27-6-2008 by sn00daard]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Hey! A chamelon could crawl up on that panel and get fried!
You have to look at all the angles.
Like big oil has us by the short and curlies and all our pac subdued representatives.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Reflecting on this has lead me once again to small-scale systems. Be they for the individual home or for small communities. Waiting for this to happen at a large scale requires dealing with the government who tend to be in the pocket of big business.

Alternative energy can and should be a democratizing technology anyway.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I wonder if they had a straight face when they decided to announce this.

Absolute insanity. This is the same administration that loosened the regulations on big corporations dumping chemicals into the great lakes. The same administration that wanted to lower mad cow testing. The same administration that wants to open up offshore drilling and ANWAR.

NOW they are concerned about the environment? Why do I doubt it.

Corrupt scumbags.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
DOUBLE POST

[edit on 29-6-2008 by Karlhungis]

new topics

top topics

join