It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Videotape every cop you see

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Cops do not like people filming then. Theres tons of vidoes on the youtube of cops harassing and intimidating people filming the police. So why don't we all stop being so complacent and break out the camera everytime the police pull over someone. It would start out slow at first, but eventually when a cop does a pullover, there hopefully would be some neighbours and/or passerbys standing on the sidelines filming their every move. Police brutality would drop, and it would show the police we're sick of their brutal and uncaring ways.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
There are some states where legislation has been enacted making it a criminal offense to do this. I can't say which for sure, but best be careful and find out before you get yourself tasered.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I'm not sure if it would accomplish anything, unless you catch them taking your stash and whatnot, as they've been rumored to do. It does seem like it could impede their job, if they're doing their job as they ought to be, so I can understand why someone would make it illegal.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
You have seen cops video stops from their cruisers all the time.
Oh, thats right, they won't share the "bad" ones. Not true.

Why don't we just pick one poor bastard, lets say a UPS van driver and video tape him for 24hrs and see if we can find him throwing a box, or picking his nose, or being rude. Better still, lets video tape a DMV employee and watch how rude they are in a single shift. How about a parent at home...I bet we could catch them spanking their kid.

Sure, just what we need, more "eyes" watching everything we do. Lets all get out the video camera and bust everyone for their human foibles. Lets see us at our worst and get it on tape. Lets start a show and call it "America at its worst videos". "hey Ted, did you hear that Steve was caught masterbating and it is going to be on the show tonight?"

Keep your video cameras pointed towards the sky so we can get some damn proof of ET.

[edit on 27-6-2008 by Res Ipsa]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Yea, your right they do share the bad ones --
after you sue them for it...

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Res Ipsa
You have seen cops video stops from their cruisers all the time.
Oh, thats right, they won't share the "bad" ones. Not true.

Why don't we just pick one poor bastard, lets say a UPS van driver and video tape him for 24hrs and see if we can find him throwing a box, or picking his nose, or being rude. Better still, lets video tape a DMV employee and watch how rude they are in a single shift. How about a parent at home...I bet we could catch them spanking their kid.

Sure, just what we need, more "eyes" watching everything we do. Lets all get out the video camera and bust everyone for their human foibles. Lets see us at our worst and get it on tape. Lets start a show and call it "America at its worst videos". "hey Ted, did you hear that Steve was caught masterbating and it is going to be on the show tonight?"

Keep your video cameras pointed towards the sky so we can get some damn proof of ET.

[edit on 27-6-2008 by Res Ipsa]

Nice way to take what I said out of context. To compare a UPS driver picking his nose to a cop tasering someone for not producing ID or intimidating witnesses is ridiculous. Nice attempt at sounding smart though buddy
You fail at internet trolling.

I'm not sure if it would accomplish anything, unless you catch them taking your stash and whatnot, as they've been rumored to do. It does seem like it could impede their job, if they're doing their job as they ought to be, so I can understand why someone would make it illegal.

I don't think you guys are getting my point. The more cameras pointed at them, the less likely they will harass or taser innocents. Before the inevitable trolls come here and call me a liberal criminal lover, I think the taser is great for someone who is posing a physical threat or attempting to flee after committing a crime, but to taser someone for refusing to produce ID is ridiculous. For the naysayers, sooner or later you'll experience police brutality.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ben420

Well, with a nickname including a 420 reference in it, are we to assume your personal and private activities?

Yeah, you go right ahead and video tape a Police Officer doing something, and you let us know how long you stayed in the hoosgow for.

Do you realize, in some states, this could be considered or interpreted as an "instigating/conspiracy to commit" or "contributing to the delinquency of a minor" crime by extreme right-wing Law Enforcement Officers, and you just left it electronically documented for them anytime they want to pull it up?

[edit on 28-6-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Here in Albuquerque, the police have Dash-Cams and they have audio recorders on their belts.

If you're having a conversation with an APD cop about anything more serious than directions to the nearest McDonald's, look down at his belt and you'll see a rectangular device with a red light shining.

He's recording the conversation so you don't have to.

The Dash-Cam is doing the same thing.

These procedures work both ways, as officers have been reprimanded, suspended, terminated, and even sent to prison based evidence found on their own recording devices.

[edit on 2008/6/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I don't think the solution to police brutality is to film their every move.
If we all went around filming ben420, i.e., you, trying to find fault in your every move, wouldn't that get old to you? Police are people too, and sometimes they abuse power and make mistakes, but a majority of the time, I think they are simply trying to do their daily job and get on with their lives, just like you and me.

I read an interesting article in the metaphysics forum this morning that kind of puts this in perspective. Maybe you should read it and see what I mean.

Here is the post:

Humanity's Dark Side

And here is an excerpt...I actually posted this same excerpt in that thread to:

Ever been harassed by a cop who acted like a major douchebag, pushing you around for no reason? Science says that if the roles were reversed, you'd likely act the same way.

As it turns out, it's usually fear of repercussion that keeps us from torturing our fellow human beings. Give us absolute power over somebody and a blank check from our superiors, and Abu Ghraib-esque naked pyramids are sure to follow. Hey, if it can happen to a bunch of Vietnam-era hippie college students, it sure as hell could happen to you.

Basically it says, when the shoe is on the other foot, you would likely act the same as the cop. Read the article. It's interesting.

[edit on 6/28/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Here in Albuquerque, the police have Dash-Cams and they have audio recorders on their belts.

If you're having a conversation with an APD cop about anything more serious than directions to the nearest McDonald's, look down at his belt and you'll see a rectangular device with a red light shining.

Here in the UK some of our cops actually have head cams..

Round my way they are only really used for the weekly drunken brawls in town but they are becoming more common - actually a lot of traffic wardens have them also.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Outstanding rebuttal utilizing equal comparison Res. That one got back handed like Andre Agassi hit it.

Couldn't agree more.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Some of you guys just have zero education, I guess, and no sense of justice. The OP's point is well taken and correct: if we all started filming the scummy thug cop's they would use LESS illegal force and committ LESS crimes against us civilians. Period. Cops HATE to be filmed...unless THEY are the ones doing it and they can control the action.

The poster who fantasized that some States have laws against filming is WRONG!!! The Federal law supercedes the state laws and the Federal law says that we citizens MAY film anywhere we want at any time we want, as long as we are not ACTUALLY, PHYSICALLY interfering with a cop.

If you are at a safe distance, the cops have ZERO grounds to hassle you for filming and if a few people would SUE the scumbag cops in Federal court for civil rights violations we would see less LIES from cop's about this subject. Cop's LIE...all the time and all day long. It is a part of their bluff; what they cannot legally do they just LIE about and the weak and stupid citizens who believe it and go along are laughed at later by the pigs for being so weak and foolish as to actually believe what a cop says!! Never believe what a cop says!!

The BEST bet is to have a partner standing with another video camera at a distance, say half a block or far enough so the cop could not have any excuse for bothering him...and have him film YOU filming the cop's!! That way if the scummy cop starts his bleating and lies about not filming or recording him, you have a record of exactly what he does to you. Then you can SUE him if he crosses the line; the ACLU will help many times if it is a clear cut case of 1st Amendment violations.

We should ALL film EVERY encounter we personally have with the filth, and of course film anyone else getting a raw deal from the scum. Make sure that you stay far enough away so that the lying cop's cannot later say that you interfered...and the courts have ruled that interference is not just making the pig mad..it is actually stopping him from doing his duty, and that is hard to do unless you are right in his face or shouting so loudly that he cannot speak to another person.

But aside from that, if you are at least..say, 20 feet away or so, you can film and record ANY public event or COP. Cop's are public SERVANTS, although they act like public masters..and they can be filmed as you wish.

Imagine, the cop's can record us and what we say to them, and film us...but yet they wil LIE and tell us that WE canot dop the same? NONSENSE!! There is NO LAW on any state books that forbids the photography of cop's....find one and post it here or believe that the law is on OUR side...regardless of what a lying cop says.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mad_Hatter
I don't think the solution to police brutality is to film their every move.
If we all went around filming ben420, i.e., you, trying to find fault in your every move, wouldn't that get old to you? Police are people too, and sometimes they abuse power and make mistakes, but a majority of the time, I think they are simply trying to do their daily job and get on with their lives, just like you and me.

I read an interesting article in the metaphysics forum this morning that kind of puts this in perspective. Maybe you should read it and see what I mean.

Here is the post:

Humanity's Dark Side

And here is an excerpt...I actually posted this same excerpt in that thread to:

Ever been harassed by a cop who acted like a major douchebag, pushing you around for no reason? Science says that if the roles were reversed, you'd likely act the same way.

As it turns out, it's usually fear of repercussion that keeps us from torturing our fellow human beings. Give us absolute power over somebody and a blank check from our superiors, and Abu Ghraib-esque naked pyramids are sure to follow. Hey, if it can happen to a bunch of Vietnam-era hippie college students, it sure as hell could happen to you.

Basically it says, when the shoe is on the other foot, you would likely act the same as the cop. Read the article. It's interesting.

[edit on 6/28/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

True, it would get very old if someone was following me around videotaping my every move. But I'd sure as hell be less likely to do inappropiate things, like for example tasering somebody 4 times because they gave me lip. Before anyone accuses me of exaggerating, I've seen this in a couple internet videos. And no, I'm not posting it because I'd have to wade through the thousands of police brutality vids to find it.

But what I am suggesting is not getting right up to the police cruiser 10 feet away from the action. Standing non threateningly on your lawn is prefectly acceptable. If the cop does his job, who gives a flying rats arse if someones videotaping. Who cares if the cop lets his professional nature slip and hes caught on camera acting a little short and snappy with someone. Like the above posters noticed, its human nature. What I'm TRYING to get at is this will cut down on brutality. But thank you very much for your kind post Mad Hatter. I am glad it wasn't full of ridiculous examples like catching UPS drivers picking their nose

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by eyewitness86
Some of you guys just have zero education, I guess, and no sense of justice. The OP's point is well taken and correct: if we all started filming the scummy thug cop's they would use LESS illegal force and committ LESS crimes against us civilians. Period. Cops HATE to be filmed...unless THEY are the ones doing it and they can control the action.

The poster who fantasized that some States have laws against filming is WRONG!!! The Federal law supercedes the state laws and the Federal law says that we citizens MAY film anywhere we want at any time we want, as long as we are not ACTUALLY, PHYSICALLY interfering with a cop.

If you are at a safe distance, the cops have ZERO grounds to hassle you for filming and if a few people would SUE the scumbag cops in Federal court for civil rights violations we would see less LIES from cop's about this subject. Cop's LIE...all the time and all day long. It is a part of their bluff; what they cannot legally do they just LIE about and the weak and stupid citizens who believe it and go along are laughed at later by the pigs for being so weak and foolish as to actually believe what a cop says!! Never believe what a cop says!!

The BEST bet is to have a partner standing with another video camera at a distance, say half a block or far enough so the cop could not have any excuse for bothering him...and have him film YOU filming the cop's!! That way if the scummy cop starts his bleating and lies about not filming or recording him, you have a record of exactly what he does to you. Then you can SUE him if he crosses the line; the ACLU will help many times if it is a clear cut case of 1st Amendment violations.

We should ALL film EVERY encounter we personally have with the filth, and of course film anyone else getting a raw deal from the scum. Make sure that you stay far enough away so that the lying cop's cannot later say that you interfered...and the courts have ruled that interference is not just making the pig mad..it is actually stopping him from doing his duty, and that is hard to do unless you are right in his face or shouting so loudly that he cannot speak to another person.

But aside from that, if you are at least..say, 20 feet away or so, you can film and record ANY public event or COP. Cop's are public SERVANTS, although they act like public masters..and they can be filmed as you wish.

Imagine, the cop's can record us and what we say to them, and film us...but yet they wil LIE and tell us that WE canot dop the same? NONSENSE!! There is NO LAW on any state books that forbids the photography of cop's....find one and post it here or believe that the law is on OUR side...regardless of what a lying cop says.

God thank you, I thought I was alone on this. You totally got my point and explained it better than I could have

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Their is an organization called COPWATCH they do exactly that. They film cops. You stay the required distance away from the scene and interfere in no way and record the event.

If you people want a revolution you have to choose your weapons with great care... The first and most important weapon is a backbone. From that point, cameras work great.... And sites like liveleak and youtube are full of bad cops doing bad things. Are all cops bad? I don't know. But I do know they think we are roaches or insects beneath them. Cops do not have a good opinion about the civilians they police.

.... I say all that but their are country cops too... good sheriffs and deputies. ....The county line is where the dividing line is... I wouldn't trust a city cop not to shoot so as to look at me... but in some counties their are still good sheriffs...

But yes Filming cowardly cops is a great way to fight back.

[edit on 10/18/2007 by titorite]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by titoriteAre all cops bad? I don't know. But I do know they think we are roaches or insects beneath them. Cops do not have a good opinion about the civilians they police.

.... I say all that but their are country cops too... good sheriffs and deputies. ....The county line is where the dividing line is... I wouldn't trust a city cop not to shoot so as to look at me... but in some counties their are still good sheriffs...
[edit on 10/18/2007 by titorite]

I don't think all cops are bad. I've come into contact with lots of genuinely nice and caring cops. Cops that are doing their best to serve their community and put food on their table.

But I've also met a ton of bad cops. Cops that became cops for the authority and the power. Cold hearted people who were picked on as children so they strapped on a badge to command respect. THESE are the cops we should keep tabs on at all times. Eric Cartman from South Park comes to mind, yelling "RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH"

Believe it or not, I want to be a cop. Wanted to ever since I was six. And yes, I can imagine what it would be like to be videotaped everytime I step out of my cruiser, I might get snappy at times, but I'll tell you one thing. I would sure as hell be less likely to whip out my flashlight and start beating the drunk who just called me a fat pig.

Edited for spelling

[edit on 28-6-2008 by ben420]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ben420

This is not a one liner. I just want to direct ben420 and everybody elses attention to a video on youtube..it maybe on liveleak too. The name of the video is called brutal reality.

Give that a watch.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

LovelyDoom

but so many are not doing their job..they are being mean,rude,intrusive,
demanding, violent.ect ect...

EVERYONE should have the right to carry a camera and have it on at all times
is he so chooses.

it ok for the Authorities to film citizens on the steets everywhere so
it must go both ways....

make sure you are a nice far distance from the scene so as to not cause any type of interference whatsoever.
NONE.........just use your handy dandy super zoom.....

Res Ipsa

I know what you mean...but
none of these examples holds a candle to a crooked mean Cop
who is terrifying a citizen/s.

this is what he got for saying "well I don`t have a father"

in my opinion, right there, he(arse-hole cop)
should have given the kid a hug
instead and politely explain the rules to him...
DAMMIT , they are only riding their scateboards..
RIDING THEIR SCATEBOARDS.......for pete`s sake.
that THUG could have really hurt the kid....
the THUG had NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE of any
medical conditions or prior injuries the kid may have had...

I have an older type cam corder...digital ,but with film..
I think I`m gonna bring it everywhere I go from now on.

and don`t think that these kinds of "Law Officers" are really that few and far apart..because there not...sadly.....why?

ask your friendly neighborhood N.W.O
they will tell ya...
only their numbers not in the book yet...

SpartanKingLeonidas
"contributing to the delinquency of a minor"

Wow...I sure don`t get that one......really???
god how do they figure that in????

or

"instigating/conspiracy to commit"

commit what? ... Justice and truth?
tourist activities....? lol...sorry ...
they can film and we can`t ?/

WAIT A SECOND
were getting SHAFTED AGAIN......
bring out your cams and START EM UP..

[edit on 28-6-2008 by Maya432]

[edit on 28-6-2008 by Maya432]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
A prime example of a cop that got shunned as a child and went into law enforcement to prove something to himself. Listen to those kids, they're terrified. You can see right away hes getting his jollies by bossing and manhandling that kid. I saw this video a year or two ago, and it still makes my blood boil.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
That cop should be fired and sent to jail in the gen pop.

Maybe then he would realise what someone disrespecting him really means.

People who abuse their positions of power should be punished in the most severe manner.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join