It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: No Ice At The North Pole

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Here's a real spitball for you. If the US attacks Iran, the Russians stay around long enough and do a couple of resupply missions there, to make sure it really drags on. While we(US) are occupied they march into the north pole and "liberate" it. Like Operation North Pole Freedom, to use US terminology.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Hello everyone, Let me point out something that isnt being addressed here in this thread.

The ocean traps co2. The reason why the earth is warming at a faster rate is because the plankton in the ocean's are depleting. So the real issue is stop polluting the oceans. More plankton = less co2 in the air, bottom line.

So it really doesnt matter if the ice in the antartic melts. If we clean up the waters and increase the plankton, It will form ice again and the cycle will start all over.
Here is just one possible solution to helping with this issue. There are a few ideas out there but this one seems more natural to me.

ScienceDaily (Apr. 20, 2004) — Scientists are learning about the history and possibly the future of climate change by fertilizing the ocean with iron to create blooms of microscopic plants.

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by russ1969

I agree... also an important point is oxygen... Stripping the Rain forests is not so bad...

Mother Nature includes algae as a critical part of the food chain. It is estimated that between 70% and 80% of the oxygen in the atmosphere is produced by aquatic plants.

www.carolinaalgaecontrol.com...

Algae were some of the first organisms to emerge on our planet over three billion years ago. All subsequent life forms have depended upon these single-cell aquatic plants for their survival because algae generate 80% of the global oxygen supply. Being at the beginning of the food chain, algae are an incredible source of densely packed, broad-spectrum nutrition. Algae are approximately 60% to 70% protein, and unlike other plant-based protein, algae’s protein is complete and is thus ideal for humans. The only other source of complete protein, meat, is approximately 20% protein.

www.synergyproduction.com...

This in turn is good for increasing the fish population

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Global warming is a natural effect. A scientist claimed this that is from canada. That businesses are trying to cash in on this event. This is why they say it's us humans that is doing this so we need clean energy to prevent this event.

They found in the layers of ice studing the ice poles they collected which shows the past, and they found signs before that the ice did indeed melt.

All ice is going to melt and also we will have a freeze at some point.

Some say this maybe the effect from planet-x which could make an effect on our orbit even a small effect can have dangerious results.

here are some other researchers that which also supports that Global warming is a natural effect.

CLICK HERE

[edit on 27-6-2008 by computerwiz32]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I have read in magazine articles and learned on the Discovery Channel that the sea ice that is melting is mostly fresh water and when it melts, it affects the natural weather belt of ocean currents that occurs in the Atlantic ocean between Europe and North America. So, if all the sea ice melts and desalinizes the salt water, what happens to the weather? No more winters? No more summers?

This is an interesting topic. Hope someone who knows their weather forecasting follows this topic and keeps us all posted on what to look out for.

Googled and found this easy to understand link's info:

www.wunderground.com...

[edit on 27-6-2008 by Bowcatz001]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I wish i remembered where i read that the Russians were involved in a project to melt the Artic ice, I dont know if this is true, but i recall reading it and also heaing it on c2c.

DG why do they want to do that
Are they seeking the hole to the middle or somethnig

Do they hate white bears

Originally posted by zorgon
You know its gonna be hard to ex[plain to Kids what happened to Santa's workshop when the ice melts

Ohhh dear
thats right Zorgon.............
maybe his MIDDLE name will now come in to play.........
Santa 'Noah' Claus

His workshop was ALWAYS an candy cane arc ready to float around should the ice melt.......elves and reindeer all snug in there own areas of the now floating workshop-arc We just didnt give them all that info as it used to be so unlikely.
Now we will have to tell them how Polar Bears are swimming alongside the candy arc keeping it in the very center of the North Pole.....

[edit on 27-6-2008 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Put some ice cubes in a large glass, fill said, large glass with water until the water reaches to the rim of the glass.

Now go get a good book, or microwave a hot pocket while you wait for the ice to melt.

Question; when all the ice melted, did the glass overflow, and ruin your wives coffee table? No? Well then go ahead and eat your hot pocket and proceed with your life.

Move along...nothing to see here....

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
Put some ice cubes in a large glass, fill said, large glass with water until the water reaches to the rim of the glass.

Now go get a good book, or microwave a hot pocket while you wait for the ice to melt.

Question; when all the ice melted, did the glass overflow, and ruin your wives coffee table? No? Well then go ahead and eat your hot pocket and proceed with your life.

Move along...nothing to see here....

Exactly! It's the ice in Antarctica that we should be worried about. If that melts then we should start worrying.

Mitch

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63

OP course not as water expands when it freezes and what you say would hold true for ice that is currently in the water... but that does not hold true for the ice above sea level and in the mountains..

So get out your scuba gear if you live only a few feet above sea level

Here is a picture of what America looked like BEFORE the water froze at the poles...

I am afraid the sand bags on the Mississippi won't work for this one...

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
To those who adamantly claim with 100% certainty that man *cannot* possibly be having anything to do with global warming (as most folks here seem to assert), I have a very basic physics question for you; Let's try to forget a minute about GW and our planet, and just focus on a simple science question. Please try to answer it directly:
Do you believe that CO2 is a greenhouse gas - Yes or no?
Secondly, do you believe methane is a greenhouse gas?

If we can get past these two questions, then we can discuss mans contributions (or not), but first, lets start with basic science or we aren't going to get anywhere (remember, the ridiculous assertion by many here is that man *CANNOT* be contributing to GW!).

[edit on 27-6-2008 by whatsup]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The last time I checked, there were no mountains in the arctic ocean.

I understand your point though, My point is that the Ice actually in the arctic ocean is not going to cause a catastrophe if it melts, It seems as each year passes the list of things that is going kill us gets longer and longer. If there is one thing that history teaches us it is that man is adaptable.

I just wonder how long it will be before the tide turns and everyone starts talking about the fear of Global cooling.

I am not going to jump on the fear mongering bandwagon.

I gave you a star for the excellent graphic! Very interesting.

[edit on 27-6-2008 by Sparky63]

[edit on 27-6-2008 by Sparky63]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by doctormcauley

I dont work for an oil company, and I am not sure I am hearing enough data to conclude on human caused global warming, or normal earth ebb and flow. I mean I have only been here for a mere blip on the cosmic screen, for all I know this is a normal earth weather pattern.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
To those who keep asserting that GW *is not* being contributed by man, I patiently awake an answer to the question in my post above.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by winged patriot

I saw a short on fox news

Fail.

As for the Ice Caps - I do accept Global Warming (as well as Global Cooling) as a natural cycle of the Earth. I also accept that man in contributing to this. We live in a highly complex and dynamic system and any change we make WILL have effects. Negligable? Perhaps. For me, the jury is still out on exactly how much of an impact we're having. I simply don't think we know enough about the workings of the environment on long-term scales to make that sort of a judgement call. We should learn all we can from recorded human history, tree ring samples, ice cores, etc - but I don't think we should be jumping the gun just yet. After all, even if you believe that SOME action is better than none - you have no further than to look at Ethanol (especially corn Ethanol) to see what a disaster hasty action produces.

For instance, our oceans are poorly understood. I'm sure many of you remember the CFC scare in which mankind was blamed for tearing a hole in the Ozone layer. While I'm sure our contributions didn't help - we weren't the only ones. Indeed, it's recently been discovered that over the tropical Atlantic - Ozone is being destroyed by the oceans at a 50% greater rate than previously thought. This area is also a Methane sink, as it increases the amount of Methane pulled out of the atmosphere by up to 12% daily - a factor not accounted for by current climate models.

Of Oceans and Ozones

And further, I think to a certain degree we're just going to have to accept the fact that Earth DOES change - and just because we have a penchant for building our homes and our cities on the waters edge does not mean the Earth is turning against us. This is what's most troubling for me when dealing with Eco-heads. If Global Warming is such a problem - then why is nothing being done about it? Not to stop Global Warming - but to prepare for the changes it will bring. Many of the levies which broke this summer hadn't been maintained in over 40 years. What did they expect would happen? Yeah, we really should get the hell off of fossil fuels - and the environment is only one factor out of many.. but the Earth will still change. We cannot preserve the environment, only conserve it. Manage it. And we should learn to do what ever successful species (including us at other times) on this planet has done. Adapt.

[edit on 27-6-2008 by Lasheic]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
If all of this ice melted, would there be massive floods. From the pictures I seen in school, these ice shelves are massive. They are talking about all of the ice melting by the summer, it's kind of like it is going to happen overnight.

Not sure if anyone else answered this, but here it goes anyways.

Arctic Ice sits on the water, like ice cubes in a glass. When they melt, the sea levels don't rise because the ice was in the water. The pictures you seen were not of the Arctic, but the Antarctic. Now if THAT melted, sea levels would rise up around two-hundred feet.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Global Warming does not exist.
It never has and never will
It IS NOT the first time there is no ice at the north pole (and I don;t believe that to be correct)
Its the first time recently that it has occurred.

CYCLES BABY! Its all about cycles
we heat up, we cool down

Enough with all the ridiculous scare tactics,

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by doctormcauley

you should be put on trials for crimes against humanity for saying volcanoes aren't man made. How dare you don't you read books? Are you saying the holocaust didn't happen? Don't you know there is Concensus!?

[edit on 27-6-2008 by doctormcauley]

I'm still waiting for the explanation of this. I mean, I really really hope that you were just joking.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by traderonwallst

Global Warming does not exist.
It never has and never will

Ok....

CYCLES BABY! Its all about cycles
we heat up, we cool down

Wait wha? I think you're a little bit confused on the subject matter.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Seems clear to me...

"Global Warming" is a term usually meant to be a man created effect..

While the "cycles" are natural and nothing we do effects them

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join