It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have a problem with R.A.T.S existence?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I was reading another thread about a member who had spent points on R.A.T.S. and couldn't find their way in.
This thread made me think of a few slightly unsettling things, so here is a copy/paste of what i posted in that thread.

"Its would seem that ATS is not unlike any other organisation or website in that it has a seperate elitist group who get special treatment.
In this case the elitist group are those who have the requisite points to enter the Really Above Top Secret area.
The trouble with the system in use to gain access to the R.A.T.S section is that it is open to absue, seclusion, and in a way discrimination.
Now i do not have any proof of this and it is therfore it is just an idea/suggestion of one possible situation.
For example there may be a member who is on the verge of having the requisite points for R.A.T.S. something like 4995, but due to perhaps a moderator or one of the elitist members of the R.A.T.S. section has a problem with this person their points get docked for some trivial or made up reason thereby stopping their entry into the R.A.T.S. area.
This is just one way that the need of a set number of points to enter the R.A.T.S section may be abused and used to keep certain people out of the elite forums.
Again i say this is just a possibility and i have no proof, it is just an idea."

Does anyone have an opinion on this? both those who are part of R.A.T.S. and those who arn't scared of posting their true opinions incase they suffer some kind of discrimination in the future, i say this because i realise that some people are a little wary of posting antything that may annoy the wrong people and that they could suffer points or otherwise because of that.

[edit on 26/6/2008 by smokey101]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I don't mind its existence, its not like its going to be the only "Secret" or "Hidden" forum around. I have staffed in many things on the net from games through to standard websites and forums. They always have "Secret" or "Hidden" places for those with access rights to leave things/ messages for other people who can access that location.

I'd be very surprised if this site didn't have at least 4 category/forums that only staff could see (As a means of coordinating the rather large staff group about potential "Drama" going on between members, topics and things like bug fixes and maintenance).

While it is likely and fully possible that a staff member (on any site) will abuse their position of power to varying degrees at some point on some site. On here such a petty action of repeatedly docking someones points when they reach the 4500 - 5k mark wouldn't go unnoticed. A fuss would kick off eventually, I've been involved in such a fuss (not on this site mind you) but it was interesting to say the least to see a moderator go mental and postal in order to stop another moderator from getting a higher position that they wanted. Only three people knew what had gone off but others had been watching very closely and noticed the minute changes and jumped on it bringing the whole thing to light heh.

Just think of R.A.T.S as optional reward for doing decent posts or being an active prolonged member of the community. As someone else said you could just join Twitter get you 5k points not do anything to get docked and then get access to R.A.T.S.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
RATs gives decent threads and discussions.

It is far from an elite forum either, I do think it is funny when I keep reading these so called "secret RATs" thread
RATs prevents threads from being picked up by google, etc. We talk about topics that include information from sources we wish not to share with ATS.

Seriously though, RATs is nothing special. Most members get access and wish they did not pay the fee.

For example there may be a member who is on the verge of having the requisite points for R.A.T.S. something like 4995, but due to perhaps a moderator or one of the elitist members of the R.A.T.S. section has a problem with this person their points get docked for some trivial or made up reason thereby stopping their entry into the R.A.T.S. area.

100% pure BS.
Whoever posted that has extreme paranoia problems and should keep off the internet if he/she feels members are planning conspiracies

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Personally i DON'T believe that R.A.T.S. is anything like what i said, or that there are conspiracies amongst members.
The only reason i created the thread was because i picked up on a "vibe" in another thread along the lines of what i described.
I was playing "devils advocate" and just sugessting things hence why i said repeatedly in my original post that there is no proof and that it is only an idea.
As i have done in another thread i have set myself up here as a sacrificial goat inorder to allay any fears that new members may have due to the vibe i picked up on.
The whole point of this thread is for long standing members and mods to address this subject and dis-prove the subject matter so any newbies will feel better about the way things are around here.
I have read a few threads lately of complaints and fears about ATS and the mods so i did this to hopefull put an end to the BS about it.

In other words i want the long standers and mods to say why my original post is bull, and through that any newbie or someone who has a problem with R.A.T.S. etc will find this thread and their questions/fears will be answered and they wont have to bother the members or mods.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by smokey101

With all due respect, the only people who have a "problem" with RATs are the ones who do not post there or have access to it. I am sorry, but you believe members in RATS are working with moderators to prevent certain people from getting access
How messed up is that?

This is the 9,999,999 thread made about this exact same topic.

If I or anyone else tried getting a member banned, I would be banned instead. It is quite insulting to accuse members of plotting against the community just because they do not have access to RATS.

That's like me bitchin' about the Mod boards because I do not have access to them. Tell you what, if you get access to RATS and actually read the threads, then you would be apologising to everyone for your wild theories.

I refer you to my posts in and sugest you read the thread "what happened to ATS like we used to know it"

No, cause I like to remember the ATS is 2003 when members engaged in constructive threads to find the truth i.e why I post in RATS.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

The reply to your post that i think you read above was a gut reaction to what i had read due to that fact i had only just woke up and i am very cranky then.

Please re-read the post above your reply and it should explain things as i had edited and changed it.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   

In other words i want the long standers and mods to say why my original post is bull, and through that any newbie or someone who has a problem with R.A.T.S. etc will find this thread and their questions/fears will be answered and they wont have to bother the members or mods.

Sorry, but no. That's not how the game works.

When I joined ATS, long time members never had to explain themselves to me. And I am not justifying myself to newer members who cannot be bothered to earn points for RATS, I had to do it so why cannot you?

How do you reckon I got my points? I earned them.

[edit] That's it now - I'm not biting anymore

[edit on 26-6-2008 by infinite]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I ma y be a newer member but i have been comming to this site for many years and i have seen it change repeatedly.
If i wanted to go into RATS then i would get the points and go in.
It has nothing to do with not wanting to "earn" things.

I used to set myself up like this when i was at school.
I knew that others in my class/year had fears or things they thought were wrong but wouldn't say anything for fear of getting in trouble for it.
I spoke out for them, i spoke as mind their minds and brought subjects up with teachers, the head, the P.T.A. others wouldn't.
I got in trouble for it but those who would never of spoken out felt better becuase their fears had been discussed/allayed without them having to put themselves on the line becuase i did it for them.
I did it then, i do it now, and i still get in trouble for it but as long as this method one time in a billion works and makes even one person feel slightly better then i will continue to take the punishment for it.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Go on bite just once more lol, and lets say we agree to dis-agree in a manner befiiting the site.
We each have our own opinions and we wont change the others mind no matter what we say.
So agree to dis-agree?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Whoever posted that has extreme paranoia problems and should keep off the internet if he/she feels members are planning conspiracies

On ATS? I am shocked!! Shocked I tell you!!

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Dear smokey, I suppose you have a point or two,

Originally posted by smokey101
I was reading another thread about a member who had spent points on R.A.T.S. and couldn't find their way in.

Here I agree with you , ATS is a big place with a steep learning curve for some. This new member was probably unaware that all forums a listed on the boards home page,

"Its would seem that ATS is not unlike any other organisation or website in that it has a seperate elitist group who get special treatment.

Again you might have a point the separate elitist group I call them the Banned members.

The trouble with the system in use to gain access to the R.A.T.S section is that it is open to absue, seclusion, and in a way discrimination.
Now i do not have any proof of this and it is therfore it is just an idea/suggestion of one possible situation.

Uhm your right again, you don’t have any proof.
RATS is a forum that is hidden from search engines. That’s all no big secret. The 5000 point entry is just a token the member provides to show they are serious about entry into RATS.

Now here smokey I have an issue, you have just insulted the entire ATS buy making up porkies about us.

The members can not control other members points, they can neither add to them or remove them.

So seeing you are worried about loosing points by some nefarious means, I will keep a watchful eye on your posts and points to put your mind at ease.

Now go make 5000 points and find out how wrong you are.

[edit on 26/6/2008 by Sauron]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
If you do a couple of podcasts on the subject you will be able to enter RATS.
It's sort of a super shortcut for newer members and a way to get your voice heard by the masses. While I never have taken this advantage, it is out there for all.

After you get access, Infinite and I will personally show you all of the secret handshakes and code words to use. It will be swell.

ATSmRmA-32-00001-26-6

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
smokey, along those same lines of reasoning of yours. Since it takes 200 posts to get into CHAT, does that mean Chat is an elitist room where people conspire against the noobies with 199 posts. Is there a mod deleting the 200th post to keep someone from getting in. NO.

This entire site doesnt cost a dime to us members and is a wealth of information (and bullocks too) I mean, what else ya gonna do with all those points anyhow? Since we can't buy ATSGear with them. Might as well blow them on something.

Make a couple podcasts(i think you get something like 1500 or 2500 per podcast) that would get ya in there in no time flat, or anyone else for that matter. Post quality posts and get applause(500 per applause). Then you can buy your way into it and see its not really what everyone makes it out to be. Really its not.

My $.02

Silver

edited for typos

[edit on 26-6-2008 by S1LV3R4D0]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Join Twitter, u2u asala letting her know that you joined Twitter, Receive 5000 points

Then spend them all on RATS access and see for yourself that it is just another forum....but a forum that isn't touched by google.

No elitism...it's actually quite the slow moving forum...

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Or, get 10,000 points for writing on tinwiki.org

Earn Points Writing on tinWiki! Up to 10,000 points per entry

You are going to be surprised when you go there...

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I'm shocked... Seeing all my elitist friends revealing the secrets of the inner sanctum. You can clearly see he doesn't have the super-duper-extra-special-decoder ring needed to know the secrets...

I would like to show you something you can only read in RATS:

The original intention of RATS was a forum in which users could feel safe to post their theories, observations, stories, etc. of a conspiratorial nature or subject genre related to the AboveTopSecret.com 'Deny Ignorance' motto. Safe from web search bots and prying eyes, general chit chat should take place on BTS or even individual ATS forums.

From this point forward, the existence of RATS will be open for it's original existential purpose.

From the keyboard of our super secret leader, Simon Gray.

All joking and sarcasm aside: I challenge anyone that has questions about RATS to do 2 PODCasts or join twitter as MemoryShock pointed out or write a Tinwiki article (for 10,000 points as seen above) and go see for yourself. I dare you.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I CAN'T BELEIVE THAT YOU POSTED SUPER SECRET RATS ONLY TEXT ON A PUBLIC FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I can vouch for you in front of the Super Secret Council of Reptillian Judges regarding your continued participation within our most precious of discussion rooms....this totally goes beyond the time you made a funny face behind Springer's back and then pretended to have done nothing when he turned around...:shk:

Err...uuummm...I mean, "Nothing to see here. move along, Ladies and Gentlemen."

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Oh please... If I didn't make the face behind his back someone else would have. You heard what he said about the Poodle... And don't get me started on the orange thingamagick...

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

DOOM APPROACHES

S...

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Rut Roh, it's getting hot in here lol!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join