It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At what point will you stop buying gas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
With the skyrocketing price of gas at what point will you stop buying gas or at least make life style changes to significantly reduce the amount of gas you buy. Is there a point where you will begin to take public transportation or ride a bike? At what point will you no longer be able to afford to buy gas. At what point would it actually cost you money to go to work.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
The point is not that far away for me I personaly work all over the place and i'm using about 2 tanks of fuel a week and that is costing me $220.00 a week just in fuel I wish i could ride a bike but in my line of work i travel too far Same with the bus bit hard to take my tools with me

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
personally we have quit going on unneeded trips. i spend, now that my sons are out of school, maybe about $60 in gas every three weeks as compared to what we were spending, $60/wk. we walk to the store that thank God is right up the road; of course if we need something, we have to walk in the evenings or we would pass out from the heat

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
i am currently shopping for a street bike so i can further increase the amount of time i spend on a bike rather than in a car. I currently ride my stumpjumper (specialized mtn bikes ftw) but for the longer distance trips through town it is a drag.

i have a 55 mile commute during the school season but luckily there is a state run bus service that links santa fe and albuquerque nm that i can ride for $4 each way, although that may go up...

the second half of 2009 i will be able to take the new 'rail runner' train, and i can not wait.

but the bottom line is, i am done paying highway robbers for gasoline. i say starve the rats out.

i was gonna make a link to articles on large groups of naked people riding down city streets to protests oil sales, but i like ats too much and i dont want to get a boot.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I would start a major change in my life right now if I could. I drive an Explorer SUV and would GLADLY trade it and some cash for a Hybrid, or at least something more fuel efficient, like a Civic or a little Nissan or something. Unfortunately, I have to make a certain number of trips every week. To and from work, dropping our son off at Daycare and picking him up, grocery shopping, etc. The last time filled up, it cost me about $80. I fill up about every 10 days or so. That's $240/month. Ouch!

This year we're buying a house. It pretty much means we can't afford to get a newer vehicle, but on the plus side we'll only be about 4 blocks from work, where we're looking (we work together). And we got into a new daycare that's only 3 blocks from there.

I'm hoping that considering all of these factors, we'll cut our fuel consumption in half as soon as we buy our place, and in another 3-6 months from then we'll be able to get a more fuel efficient vehicle.

I'm already well passed the point where I'll just 'live with the current price of gas'. I just need a little time to maneuver my way into the desired change.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Unfortunately, my situation will not allow me to stop buying gas no matter how costly it gets. I live 15 miles from work, over hilly terrain, and there is no public transportation available. I will certainly cut down on extraneous travel though at some point. I drive a honda civic that gets pretty good gas mileage, but my wife drives a gas guzzling van. We have $400 a month set aside in our budget for gas and we're usually in the $300 - $400 range.

My only option if prices go up too high is to try to talk my work into letting me work from home a few days a week. I can do my job from anywhere with an internet connection, but for some reason they really want me sitting behind that desk everyday.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
It got too much for me, I quit my job where I commuted an hour each way and got one six tenths of a mile from my home.

I figure those who survive will be those who adapt. It takes some effort.

I am planning to add a second layer of insulation to my attic. I have oil heat. I burned as much firewood as I could last winter and kept the thermostats down to to 68 when we were there and 50 when we weren't
I wonder how low we will have to go this year?

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
When I can tag some tail on a bicycle. That's when I'll buying gas.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by YAHWEH333
When I can tag some tail on a bicycle. That's when I'll buying gas.

The most important response in this thread.

Between work and other junk, I'm blowing about $200 PER WEEK on gas. I live in Vegas, it's summer, and anything less than my ice cold air conditioned SUV is unacceptable.

It hit 109 here today. Think anyone wants to ride a bike in that heat?

Not too mention spending any decent amount of time in that heat makes you smell a bit funky, and the previously mentioned tail looking to be tagged has a tendency to not avail themselves to people who smell funky.

Public transportation out here is a joke. It's buses that come once in a while filled to the max with poor, stinky immigrants. Why would anyone want to spend even a single second trapped in that kind of hellhole?

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I thought Congress was supposed to fix this.
Oh that's right, they have almost a single digit approval rating.

But to answer the question, it all depends on just how much you are willing to pay for a gallon of gas.

I'm sorry but enough is enough, it's time to start drilling in Alaska.

Can't have it both ways, can't gripe about the price of oil while also worrying about the polar bear.
This should have been done years ago.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I've cut back on buying gas. I only purchase half the gas I had bought two months ago.
Since I live out in the piney woods of East Texas it is not possible to ride a bike.
Our roads are narrow Farm to Market type roads that have no shoulders. Deep holes line the roads due to the constant convoys of Haliburton oil and related trucks (18-wheelers) for the gas/oil drilling that has be going on here for the last two and a half years.
Heck, who says we're not drilling? I moved behind a 50 acre hay field for peace and quiet down a oil field back county road and have to listen to the pumping, blow-offs, backing-up trucks beeping in the near by woods, etc. In the short time I've lived here they have drilled about 5 wells in a 5 mile radius of my house and two more are in the works just up the road.
One would get runover by the water trucks that tend the oil wells as they often drive down the middle of the road on these curvy hills, and of course they think they own the road.
Though of getting a horse, may still do just that...maybe a mule or two and build a buck board wagon to go the twelve miles to town. Would be easy enough to pull over into the grass off the side of the road if I heard a truck comming.
Thinking...would have to take a pooper scooper to clean up after the mules if they poop on the streets of town, yeah!
Buy it? Heck some folks are stealing the raw crude here in our neck of the woods (near Kilgore). The companies have began to put up gates and chains with locks.
It was popular even back in the 1950's for the college kids to steal crude to run thier hot rods...some things never change.

[edit on 19-6-2008 by Archideva]

[edit on 19-6-2008 by Archideva]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I guess my response for now is that at this point I have cut way back on the 'extra' places that I drive. It sucks but gotta make it to work I guess.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Hey Alex how about you show us some of the evidence you have been looking at that has informed you that drilling in Alaska will drive prices down in the intimidate. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Fortunately for us, we live on a small island, where nothing is very far. On the other hand, I need to carry lots of tools to my jobs. We walk to the store, walk for pleasure and gas here just hit $5.15/gallon. We store stabilized gas in a custom fiberglass-coated steel tank, which is in a custom underground concrete vault. This is primarily for post-hurricane use -- to run power tools for rebuilding, chainsaws, etc.

To answer the question, we both think there will shortly be a time where we can no longer afford rising fuel costs, but think there will be a period where there will still be employment. We've found a company that makes quality and quite a variety of three-wheeled bikes, some capable of pretty impressive loads. We've just ordered two 'trikes". Seems like a good thing to have even IF TS doesn't HTF. If anyone is interested, here's the company. We're not affiliated with this company in any way -- both of us thought it a real plus that they're made in the USA. www.industrialbicycles.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Well, I don't drive to visit my mom so much and am trying to limit myself to around one tank a month even though I don't work and am currently on disability. My therapists expects me to go back to work now when I can least afford it and unemployment so high? He's the delusional one.

I cringe at the thought of filling my gas tank only to have it siphoned out and or my gas tank or line drilled out.

It does appear I live in a safer neighborhood where that doesn't yet happen. But, the news stories and youtube vidoes of how people steal gas isn't helping either.

So, maybe you can add how long before you start stealing gas to keep driving. I've heard less people are filling up and more running out of gas on the roads.

Maybe we should take a week off from driving and going to work to send a signal to our corporate government? Shut the sytem down.

They would probably just say they hear us and that they're working on a solution. That could take another four years though. (bastards)

The quickest solution may just be for the government to reduce taxes on the oil companies and the pumps to bring regular back to $3.00 and freeze it, even though, that's still too high for most. But, doing so might bring the price per barrel down if this is because of investors. The price of oil per barrel should also be frozen at the most $100.00. This could be done for at least six months along with possible rationing.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
id suggest the Australian way of getting off the gas treadmill.. get a dui and itll give you a couple of months adjustment to what things will be like when it really gets expensive..you have to sort out alternatives i did it and it worked wonders for me .. its for all those who find it really hard not to just run down the shops ...im hoping a network will pick up my technique and pay me for getting people to take up a dui.. and to save the planet by getting rats arsed

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I've been riding my bicycle everywhere...It definitely sucks sometimes, but soooo much cheaper and easier to maintain

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Britney knows what im talking about

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81
I've been riding my bicycle everywhere...It definitely sucks sometimes, but soooo much cheaper and easier to maintain

You pickin up any tail on your bike?

If so, I've always been curious: Does the girl ride on the handlebars or how does that whole thing work?

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

I work nites, no buses to my work site, cabs 12 dollars one way (half tank@ 4.35 gl) and my job is 9 miles one way, plus doing errands, Drs. appointments , 42 dollars to to fill-up can stop buying no car pooling co-workers live with-in 3 miles same problems, and some just got SUV's
biking is out, motorcycle is not part my toys.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join