It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO's and ATS's increasing lack of credibility

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Just an update for you guys, I may not be a member for long. Springer just threatened me.

I reposted this original thread again in Aliens and UFO's yesterday changed to give it a much lesser rant tone and without the stupid "rant" indicators I added the first time, hoping to start a discussion on the serious issue of credibility here on ATS.. here is what I got from Springer and what I replied...

Hopefully someone gets to see this before he removes it...

Springer:

I don't have the patience to move another of your rants that cover nothing more than your misunderstanding of what ATS is.

When an owner, an admin or any other staffer move one of your threads to the appropriate forum please DO NOT re-type it and replace it in the wrong forum.

ATS is a USER GENERATED, USER PROMOTED media outlet, for you to grumble about "ATS losing credibility" is simply inane, ATS has never had any "credibility" beyond the "credibility" of the crowd.

If you don't like all the obviously hoaxed youtube videos then IGNORE THEM and they will die a miserable and slow death into the oblivion.

The ONLY reason ANYTHING gets attention on ATS is because the membership thinks it's good, worthy or whatever. Get it?

In any case, this is your last warning, CONTRIBUTE the awesome content you keep saying is lacking or lurk, DON'T post another rant in the A/UFO forum.

Springer...

I replied...

Last warning? Last warning for what?
Are you threatening me Springer?

My gripe is legitimate and MANY feel the same way, if you want a retard forum, by all means keep removing posts. If you feel the amount of hoaxes posted and backup up on ATS is a good thing you are WELL on your way to becoming an internet joke.

You just totally added to the credibility issue.

In any case, I am sure I will be booted shortly..
Take care guys..

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by gormly

I can't really say I'm surprised by this gormly.

Complaining about the content on ATS accomplishes nothing. ATS has a lot of amazing content, and a lot of absurd or "not credible" content. That's just the nature of a free forum. It's always been that way, and always will.

Trying to tell other members not to post silly stuff is utterly futile. Best just to learn how to find the good stuff and filter out the silly stuff.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrdDstrbr

Complaining about the content on ATS accomplishes nothing. ATS has a lot of amazing content, and a lot of absurd or "not credible" content. That's just the nature of a free forum. It's always been that way, and always will.

Trying to tell other members not to post silly stuff is utterly futile. Best just to learn how to find the good stuff and filter out the silly stuff.

I wasn't suggesting members not post silly stuff.. they can post what they want, my issue is with people who post "facts" based on bull# science they think they know and NO ONE calling them on it.
So we end up with a 40 page thread of idiots using personal experience or understanding as benchmarks. Which causes more and more people to play the hoax game.. diminishing the relevance of this forum.

WHY DOESN'T ANYONE BUT ME SEE THIS? :bnghd:

Someone comes to ATS with REAL stuff, they see "REELZ Life Video of Alien stealing my cotton candy" and other telling threads and boom.. they decide against sharing.

The hoaxes that are being posted on a daily basis are constantly being greeeted with "let's wait and see" (you are guilty of that) when something clearly looks faked.
That even continues when something is almost certainly proven fake or the evidence points that way half the crowd still SWEARS its true. I am frustrated by the lack of anyone or anything accountable.

I would NEVER tell someone something wasn't real or not real without having something scientific to back it up with.

Springer got the wrong impresion, I wasn't telling "ATS" to cut back on this crap, I was telling members to help clean it up.

BIG DIFFERENCE.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I wonder if you ever really understand that it is your choice to be in a conversation or not. ATS is a free forum, there are no background checks or anything like that and there propably never will. That is a good thing, and there is a prize that you and all of us have to pay for that. Prize being that you will have to learn to ignore the posts that you do not agree with. This has nothing to do with ending all conversations. These are things that are never ever explained to you, you will have to learn when and how to apply your super intelligent posts.

I have a lot of passion when I write, and that has caused me a lot of problems. You cannot change the audience, but you CAN cope and that is exactly what reasonable, intelligent people do when they succeed. For you there is absolutely no way to change the world, but for those who learn there is always a way.

These boards are, truly, free in the way that you can think whatever you want and usually nobody deletes whatever you do write. There are rules however, and those are good. Not agreeing with those is usually because of some selfish, ignorant rant in the brain.

I do not want people to believe whatever they see, but I also do not want that to ever stop because it would mean end of discovery. Obviously, a lot of people want to desperately believe in the things they have spent a lifetime searching. That does not have to mean that only the right things are posted and talked about. Every single human being on this world has a different set of knowledge and life experience, you cannot really change that in any way. There will be people out there who have not encountered and experienced a point in life in such a way that certain critical thinking would be after that a mandatory way to think for them. You have learned it from somewhere, and so are others. To expalain things to be in some way discoverable for every one is to proclaim that you can discover several thousands of years of development in critical, scientific thinking on your own. You are not that intelligent, nor is anybody else for that matter. That won't happen, you have encountered things that you learned and discovered nothing, most of the things have been done by very different people, but not you.

Do you honestly believe that these things are somehow expalined to you in the way that you can apply this thinking in practise? No, that won't happen either, you will have to learn and the world does not dance with you.
[edit on 22/6/08 by rawsom]

[edit on 22/6/08 by rawsom]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
ATS is a fun place to spend some time and see new ideas. A lot of people with real life experiences don't have a lot of education or are still in school. Don't fault them for that. This is one of the few places that they can express themselves.

I am lucky to have studied physics, astronomy, biology, mysticism and the arts. I am glad to point things out that are not known to the high schoolers. There are always professionals with more education than me that I am glad to hear from. In fact that's why I'm here, to learn more.

Coast To Coast AM has had on some obvious fakes. But only by having a free to speak show do they get to the good stuff. More research is needed and your NOT going to get it from NASA.

You would be upset that the government spends money studying mysticism.
You probably give Richard Hoagland a hard time and he is a REAL scientist.

I don't have time to research everything. I like hearing other peoples opinions. Take a vacation at Skinwalker Ranch. Read "Dark Mission".

I can hear you fuming they're both fakes. They're the best we've got.

Politely pointing out that there is an obvious explanation doesn't make the poster a deliberate hoaxer but I admit there are some of those.

Personal experiences by their nature don't have proof but they are interesting and we need to talk about them somewhere. When I am frightened by an experience I need to share it. I would like to see a forum titled "Personal Experiences"

Deny Silence!

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by gormly
What I got from this guy (and I don't mean to just pick on him) is that in his opinion he leans more toward believing a video because HE doesn't know how to make a convincingly fake lightning and because HE believes that the straightness of the initial light is some how NOT producible with cgi or other types of hoaxes?

So somehow because he cannot fathom how this could be hoaxed, it probably isn't a hoax? What is up with this self centered "I know it all" viewpoint today?

Even though I find myself agreeing with majority of your post, that there is a large influx of people who seem to know nothing about anything, I also thought that I might drop by to defend myself, even though you didn't identify me.

I didn't say it wasn't a hoax and I didn't say it was. I said it could be fake, but I wasn't going to pass judgement on it yet. You know why?

Because I know I don't know everything. I know there are circumstances and things which I do not know, and therefore I reserved judgement, because it would be stupid to say either way without having all the facts.

Aside from that I simply worked with the knowledge I had. I never said I was an expert, or that I knew anything for sure. And saying things based upon the knowledge that one has about something isn't exactly out of the ordinary.

I mean you can't exactly ask someone to assume something based upon knowledge that they don't have, or that someone else has. That's a bit unfair, no?

In reality, I do not consider aliens to be a valid phenomenon, though I have always had a wandering interesting in unidentified flying objects, whatever it is that they may be.

In conclusion, I agree with you concerning the influx of people simply believing based upon nothing, however, I don't think that my post was an appropriate example of such behavior.

After all, not saying that it isn't necessarily fake isn't automatically saying that its real and that I believe in it explicitly.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by Voidmaster]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by gormly
WHY DOESN'T ANYONE BUT ME SEE THIS?

I'm with ya!

And what the hell is so above secret about this place anyway?

I got it. It's such a darn secret because it's getting to the point that if you talk about a subject and someone asks what your resources were, it would be damn embarassing to show this this site.

ATS needs to look up the definition of Rant. If they did, or knew the correct definition. They would have to warn anyone about the context of their content.

Rant by Webster's dictionary means

1 : to talk in a noisy, excited, or declamatory manner
2 : to scold vehemently

Vehemently - : marked by forceful energy : powerful : as a: intensely emotional

Declamatory - to declare. offer an opinion.

But I guess those involved with the running of this site is choosing to take away the freedom of speech is a forum that clearly defines the polar opposite.

Unbelievable! Go team go! (Sarcasm) I guess I'll be "warned" as well.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Those yellow underlines are funny! LOL!
I'm in a better mood today after reading your concerns and thinking about it.
I was so used to the fast pace of main stream media I didn't realize that because ATS archives it's posts we have plenty of time to consider the alternatives and what we do here can help us as we look back over what has been posted on ATS over the last few years.. Some threads are a long read and i was afraid I only had a short time to read them and respond.
I'm going to work on more personal interaction to give more of a conversation feel.
It's like when a radio talk show caller says it all at once then there is no conversation.

Then Windows Firefox has a problem and need to close. Linux can't find the sound card.
Twelve hours of Fedora re-install and all is well again.

Namaste.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrdDstrbr
reply to post by gormly

How do you deny ignorance without complaining until someone gives in, changes their mind, and accepts a new train of thought?

But oh yeah, you are going to give us the company guy answer even though you aren't a company guy, just a kiss a**.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
That "Splitting orb" video post was just horrible. I don't think the way to discourage those kinds of posts is to complain until somebody gives. I think it would be better to suggest that the post is an artists rendering of what the stories would look like if there were good live photos. Getting closer to the truth requires better skeptics too.

Just saying no it's not don't cut it. My studies suggest alien life is real and no single thread could convince me that the basics of biology and physics is wrong. It won't convince any one else either.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by gauncents
But oh yeah, you are going to give us the company guy answer even though you aren't a company guy, just a kiss a**.

.... are you sure you've got the right guy here?

You're calling ME a kiss-a**?

HAHAhahahahaha......

If you only KNEW how many times I've butted heads with the staff and mods.....

Nice try though, Pink!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join