It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you consider as the best martial art in the world?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zenskeptical
reply to post by Badge01

You do realize that the UFC, at it's current form is not some idyllic haven for martial arts masters? It's commercial entertainment.

In his defense, he wasn't on about the UFC in it's current form. It never used to have weight classes and all those stupid rules.

Systema and Krav Magna as example have not been brought into the UFC because the fights would not be half as interesting. MMA is about fighting...I would say its a means not an ends. From what I can tell about Krav Magna/Systema and other non-competitive MA it is an ends. They don't train to fight better while fighting, they train to effectively end situations fast and efficient.

Again i will say it depends whos teaching you, becuase lots of them teach it like a sport to kids and it's less than worthless.

Many of Krav Magna techniques revolve around using your surrounding, what surrounding are available to a UFC fighter in a ring? This alone is an extreme disadvantage to any martial artist not trained in the one on one fighting styles made popular by entertainment.

Well the UFC was just for hand to hand combat without weapons so this is a poor criticism. The UFC as it is now is pathetic, but in the erly days it was brutal and let the people show their art off.

[edit on 17-6-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
It really depends what goal you want to realise;

I studied Tae Kwon Do for about 6 years (10-16) - excellent for discipline, form, technique, sparring ... but only average usability in a real self - defence situation.

I was trained in close quarters unarmed combat in the military - and it really opened my eyes. Simple, effective, devastating technique (hammer strikes, grappling, knees and elbows). I personally would hate to have to use this in a real fight, as it's designed to maim / kill.

A good mix is brazillian ju jitsu, judo, anything which teaches arm bars / grappling, as it's a really good, effective form of disabling an opponent (especially one bigger than yourself), with minimal risk of injuring yourself.

THe problem with striking is, unless you're very well trained, you're almost guarnateed to injure yorself, or not be proficient (fine motor skills as opposed to gross motor skills (grappling etc).

My 2 cents.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Irish Stick Fighting, and that's only because I'm taking a class in it starting this week. Looking forward to it; that and beating the snot out of a few of my co-workers who are also taking the class.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by squiz
Training with a grandmaster once a student ask how he would get out of a particular armlock, he replied that he would let him break it and counter with the other. Extreme yes but that is budo.

That’s another component of any martial art: the will to win. If you don’t have it, no martial art can help you. And I just don’t mean a will to fight - but to do whatever it takes to win. I have personally seen untrained persons beat trained ones, simply because they wanted to win. That doesn’t mean that a trained fighter doesn’t have an advantage, but that if they are not WILLING to win, at all costs, they probably won’t. There are plenty of well trained martial artists out there who have gotten trounced because they couldn’t survive pain or weren’t willing to inflict enough themselves.
In one fight, a martial artist squared off against my buddy. The martial artist landed numerous strikes, but never finished the job. My (formally) untrained buddy waited until he got his chance and pulled the martial artists shirt over his head (hockey style) and then proceeded to pummel the bejeezus out him until he wasn’t moving. Dirty fighting and a will to win can overcome training without them.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

The way Krav Magna is taught that might or might not differentiate from the original Krav Magna does not change the core original ideals of Krav Magna. So thats a moot point.

Also, I think you missed the context of my statement on your last critisism. My point was that I don't believe saying Krav Magna is less effective because it isnt used in the UFC is logically correct. As a metaphor thats like saying a short distance runner is not as good of a runner as a long distance runner because the short distance runner is not as good at long distance running.

[edit on 17-6-2008 by Zenskeptical]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
free style or folk style wrestling for in close because of the impact and you should end up on top in a good position and it leaves them open for ground grapples bannana split, guilitine (spelling), pumphandle, clemsun roll. dissorientation and joint manipulation

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Gotta be Aikido or "the way of unifying life energy."

It's not the same thing as in the steven segal movies because he hurts his

advasaries. Real aikido is basically how to kick someones @#$ without

hurting them.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Soldier Of Darkness
Even tho i do jujitsu and muay thai, i can honestly say that jujitsu is unfair fighting and really stupid, i mean really stupid, i despise it really.

i mean what kind of guy has to take his opponent to the ground, wrapping his legs around him while punching him and putting him in a choke hold...

jujitsu ( or those who take an opponent to the ground to fight )
are WHOOSIES in my opinion..the only reason i am combining my muay thai with jujitsu is because i know there are fag fighters out there who will take you to the ground in order to fight you..these guys are normally fatso flabmasters who know they can't win a proper fight, so they use their weight against you and crush you with their flab.

stand up and fight like a man...

I also learn jujitsu and mauy thai, but i would like to remind you jujitsu came from a battlefield where men in large armor would fight and kill one another
to be more accurate i study Brazilian jujitsu.

In a fight when the opononent is angry and foaming at the mounth going crazy throwing arms around you want to have the best posible advantage and if you know ground work beter then him then you have won the fight
it is alot easier to control the situation on the ground then on your feet.

not to menchion you can defuse the situation and not seriously hurt the opponent give him his options.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

You seem very arrogant about a martial arts you propably have never tried.

Like that one person mentioned about krav maga being very situtional.
The same thing goes for systema.
In systema you learn to use your enviorment to fight and it does not have any set rules so you can do any move basically.

And thats why its not used in ufc, because its more situtional.

And I would propably not talk about something I have not tried. If I where you.

Anyways have you ever even seen systema in real life. It does not generally use move that show off like some of the kung foo martial arts.
Unless you choose to use those moves of course.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Best in the world?? hard to say...

Personally I like Jiu-Jitsu mainly because of my wrestling background. It follows the same basic steps and moves so it was a good fit for me. I only took it for a few sessions though.. .cost waaaay too much money

But on the plus side... I enjoyed tossing the people at that dojo around with relative ease... ..kinda sad that i won most of my matches against people who have been training at that gym for 1-3 years.

lol i guess it wasn't worth the money.

Anyway aside from Jiu-Jistu, Tai-Chi and Muy Thai are personal favorites of mine. Along with Kung Fu.
One of my friends is very skilled in Tae Kwon Do... he was training to be a Marine Core Drill instructor, so he shows me a few techniques from time to time.

Anyone know of some good, moderatly priced gyms in the Philadelphia PA area??

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
whoops, i meant to say i studied Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu...
my bad

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Trained martial arts pretty much my whole life.

Started in Karate at age 10.

Boxed as an amateur age 13 through 20.

Trained with the Gracie Brothers (Rorion and Royce)in Jiu Jitsu from 1991-94, then one of their senior blackbelts up until 2000.

Trained some shootwrestling, muay thai, and kung-foo san soo as well.

My favorite combo for all out practicality at all ranges of combat would be a combo of muay-thai and Gracie (brazillian) Jiu Jitsu.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

i think you hit the nail on the head- there is a style that suits everyone and that works best for them, it has been shown many times that 1 single style does not top them all- fighting is very rock paper scissors, that said i am a Judoka and a big fan of Sambo and Pankration
pancrase really is awesome to watch

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
GDay to all.
Interesting question.
I am a Green belt Grandmaster in Ninjukai Taijutsu. Unfortunately due to kids and work & travel I had to take a break. Let me tell you after Judo Taikwondo, Karate, Wrestling,Boxing etc I can say this ancient art must be one of the hardest and most diverse in existence. It deals with the physical and mental and is worth checking out. Have a look here
www.ninjukai.com.au .

Chow for now.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Another reason why I left the the gym I was at was because they were not "gracie". Still looking for one in my area that isn't too far away, is affordable, and can fit my schedule.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I really think some of the most dangerous people on the planet are the top MMA fighters. Most of those guys could kill someone with an elbow or knee. More than likely they could kill alot of people with elbows and knees and fists.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join