It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you consider as the best martial art in the world?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Good stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for the one liner, but... Kenpo is good stuff!

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Jeet Kune Do.

"Using No Way As Way, Having No limitation As Limitation."

Forget about styles, and which is better than which.

Instead, Find only what is useful and discard the rest.

Be Like water my friend.

R.I.P Bruce Lee

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Krav Maga and Jeet-Kune-Do are my favorites. Krav Maga is a one or two-move defense art, and Jeet Kune do is Bruce Lee's way to show us that there are no limits in a fight. A good middle kick in the crotch will do the trick in any situation.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I personally think a Tai-Chi master would be able to woop anyone's ass no contest. However, to achieve master status takes 40 years of training.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Anyone else notice that this is in the "survival" forum? I don't think martial arts is really the way to go for a balls out, collapse of society self defense system.

To the OP: If you're looking for the best way to defend yourself, just get together with a like minded friend and start beating the crap out of each other every weekend. Don't spend a ton of money every month to learn how to break somebody's hand if he's grabbing you "like this, no, THIS, no, wait, hold on, use your left hand when you grab me because they only showed me how to do it with my right hand!" Just make sure you don't hospitalize each other.

Spend the time in between just staying in good shape so that you won't be a total puss when push comes to shove. You want to be strong, flexible, and not run out of breath one minute into the fight.

And remember, the easiest way not to lose a fight is not to get into one. First, you want to learn situational awareness. Second, conflict resolution. Third, and the best thing you can do if somebody's out to seriously do you harm, learn how to RUN AWAY. So what if you can fight back... why risk it?

Or, think about it this way. Do you think you could kick these guys' butts?

www.youtube.com...

Truth is, you'd never get your hands on them...

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Have any of you been in a situation that you've had to fight multiple opponents? Rules go out the window, if you want to win. Ie: take less of a beating than losing.

You're not going to learn any of that in ANY martial art. Experience will teach you that though. Eye gouge? Throat shot(careful, that one can be fatal)? Pulling the hair at the back of the neck will make a person move. Nothing taught there in any dojo.

Hey intrepid, you're right, rules do go out of the window and 'anything goes', most fighting techniques of a traditional nature do not stress this enough. But theres one shining exception, the internal chinese arts or forms of kung-fu, although i don't know if im comfortable with calling Tai Chi and Bagua Zhang "kung fu", as most moves end with the opponent disabled and controlled, on the ground whilst the internal practitioner is in an advantageous standing position, or many other moves end up with the same situation, except the opponent is standing and yet, controlled.

For example, if you throw a punch at someone out of anger, and that person somehow is quick enough to move to the side, particularly with their head, and seemingly throw a punch at you at the same exact time. But they are not throwing a punch, their hand is open, in a claw or palm position, and they are actually locking arms with you around the elbow / wrist areas, possibly even the shoulder. Leverage is instantly applied and you are screaming like a b*&^%# for the guy not to break your wrist, elbow, finger, or shoulder.

Well, I guess some such techniques are in Kung Fu too, its just that, like Karate and Tae Kwon Do, it is becoming increasingly hard to find "the real deal" instructors that teach the no-holds-barred, deadly versions of those arts. But so much is lost in translation of cultures and over the generations. Also, the fighting edge is lost and things become more competitive than real.

You must find a teacher that emphasizes on realistic self-defense applications against your average street fighter, and also against some semi-exotic maneuvers from other 'styles'. 9 out of 10 are going to teach soft crap.

Heck, most Tai Chi instructors in the west dont even teach the self-defense! They've watered it down to an aerobic exercise only.. ah man, Yang Liu-Chan and Sun Lu-Tang are rolling over in their graves right now.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
The best martial arts in the world is Smith & Wesson.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
i've been in alot of different dojo's in my life cause my parents moved alot and always wanted me in some form of martial arts, never stayed in one for longer than a month. so my style is kinda messed up and all about using spur of the moment kinda stuff. but i do train alot by myself with staves. no real style i just go outside with a friend we get our staves and beat the crap outta eachother, broken a few bones, dislocated various area's of the body, and for awhile the school thought my parents beat me. but it's payed off. i can take a hit and usually deal it back twice as hard. my style is also very very self destructive, IE i take 4 hits for every 1 i deal, but i make it freaking count.

-the king

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Jeet Kune Do
"Bruce Lee's Way of the Intercepting Fist."

www.youtube.com...

I trained with a friend who was a champion fencer in France years ago, but only used it once. The confrontation ended with one kick as the instigator attacked. When he came to, I realized that I could easily have been facing charges had I not restrained the kick's full potential. At that moment, I decided to never use it again.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   
The obvious answer is the study of the entire Chinese martial arts there is no one superior Martial art it is a difference in taste. You learn your opponents style ground, standing, or weapon and learn from all or you will lose.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I personally like Doce Pares Eskrima otherwise known as Filippino stick fighting, Partly because I'm half Filo the other half, I've always liked to play with sticks since i was a kid. So fighting with two sticks appeals to me.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
All martial arts combined together into 0ne is the best.

But psychology is the strongest martial art.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by 5ealchris

I never had heard of systema, good recommendation.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
If you want to learn to fight, join the marines.

Unless you are the kind of person who gets in fights all the time, it probably isn't worth dedicating a huge portion of your life to master a non-weapon form of self defense, when chances are you will never need to be an expert fighter.

Stay in shape, work out regularly, plant a four by four in your backyard and punch it regularly for bone strength. Should the moment ever come, let instincts take over and if you are in shape you will probably be fine.

Martial arts look great in the movies, but in real life they don't work that way. Ifyou are looking for something to dedicate yourself to, and martial arts is the way you want to go, find the one which suits you and go for it.

Personally I'm into Drunken Kick Boxing. The only fights I ever got into were when I was drunk, sooooo.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
since people are throwing up youtube clips, I wanted to post some fa-jing in action clips. this movement is the foundation of any strike performed by an internal arts practitioner, as well as southern chinese kung-fu styles, although they call it something else. look at the power harnessed from almost no movement:

www.youtube.com...
1st clip: wow, this sifu goes through nearly every striking position, from fist to shoulder to pushing to .. *particularly funny watching these guys go flying*

www.youtube.com...
2nd clip: more practical showing you how it is performed

edit: note the circular movements in ALL of the following maneuvers. Taiji and Bagua are close cousins and originate from the same root, thus performed similarly, though Taiji has no circle walk..

and here is my man Maoshan performing Bagua Zhang take-downs for you:
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 6/18/2008 by runetang]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I think that all of you are missing the fact that there are Martial Arts & then there are Fighting Arts.

Aikido... Fighting Art
Muay Thai... Fighting Art
Jujitsu... Fighting Art

Tae Kwon Do... Martial Art/Sport

Fighting Arts teach techniques that are utilized to do serious harm where as Martial Arts don't.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   
They only true style with links to the essence of the soul is the Shabadu.

Shabadu is the true way.... the only real way. All other styles are meaningless when met with a master of the Shabadu.

Only a handuful of the greatest masters even speak its name.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by squiz
I'm referring to the concept of Mushin or "no mind" it's not magic, people do this all the time, eg.. Driving your car and not remembering the details of the journey, someone throws something at you and you surprise yourself by catching it with lightning reflexes. Athletes and martial artist do it naturally even if they aren't aware of it. In fact I doubt that many martial artists/boxers/athletes don't do it, conscious thought is too slow for real fights or some sports that involve fast reaction timing.

Although I can't say for certain I've experienced mushin (takes many years of meditation and martial arts training), I do know driving your car and not remembering the details of the journey is not mushin. People forget because they don't pay attention and their mind is occupied with other things. They'd rather think about something while driving so they are not very aware of what their doing, those are actually the people most likely to get into a traffic accident. A driver who would have established mushin would remember the details because his mind is free of mundane distractions whilst driving. Almost robot like and totally focused on driving, anticipating other people's movements, no distractions like what's for dinner or what's on tv tonight.

For myself I like aikido most, I have trained for some time and like the workout and the philosophy of O'sensei, the links to buddhism and shintoism, 'the best victory is a battle that never took place' in other words preventing a physical confrontation and if attacked trying not to harm the other but exhaust instead by deflecting their attacks. If I were to go for selfdefence I'd take up Krav maga tough, very impressive with the shouting and practical moves.

Aikido... Fighting Art
Muay Thai... Fighting Art
Jujitsu... Fighting Art

Tae Kwon Do... Martial Art/Sport

Fighting Arts teach techniques that are utilized to do serious harm where as Martial Arts don't.

Actually aikido is pretty soft on the opponent while aikikai (made popular by Steven Seagal) is more about serious harm (more punching, kicking and breaking bones). A master in aikido would simply toss you around until you give up while an aikikai master would more likely break an arm or leg, whichever you present first

[edit on 18-6-2008 by Dragonfly79]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Something you don't know about Capoeira is that a Capoeira fighter can do anything another martial artist can do, but not the other way around.
It was a fight born of the street, and was used by unarmed combatants to defeat well armed armies in the Tri-Nations war.
It teaches versatility within the situation and is as formless as Jeet Kun Do.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy
Or.. what martial art do you most prefer (for yourself I mean)?

I personally have no idea or any experience about martial arts, but those shaolin monks sure look pretty darn strong and fast.

The most effective classic system has always been considered PaKua. The Chinese Emperor's top guard was always a practitioner of PaKua. It was developed by Daoist monks, it involves eight geometrical trigrams, is based on eight from the I-ching and is an internal (bioenergetic) using (chi,ki,prana, pneuma, orgone). Many years ago there were two masters of internal systems, Hsing-i and PaKua. Hsing-i is linear, forward/backward with hard hammer-stye strikes. The circular steps in addition to the 'soft' geometric movement defeated the linear system easily. This classic battle was recreated by Jet Li in the sci-fi/action film 'The One'. Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do (the system of no-system) is excellent, and the circular Aikido (many do not classify Aikido as a martial art) is extremely effective (but also, like PaKua takes years to learn and requires a great deal of practice. In the end, much of this rests with the individual. Aikido and Jeet Kune Do are systems of philosophy as well. This answer to this are usually influenced by using different subjective criteria simply because there are many factors involved to make this an objective question. I have a rank in Chinese Kenpo, but stating that this is the 'best' system would reflect personal bias.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join