It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Price Jolt: Electricity Bills Going Up, Up, Up!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo

Originally posted by mOOmOO
Get off the grid then and quit your complaining.

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 17-6-2008 by elevatedone]

This is a prime example of a totally useless response to a thread. "Get off the grid... and stop complaining" makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine. Tell me genius what should the people do that live in the cities?

I have not heard one whimper from congress about this....amazing! It only further proves how corrupt our entire system of government has become to alow this type of gouging to continue.

Move out of the city then. Stick solar panels on your windows. Use lower power devices. Use less technology. Stick a fan on your window. Be creative. Shop for cheaper electricity. Use wind up devices. Turn your TV off standby.

Think.

Most selfish materialistic idiots tend to live in cities anyway.

[edit on 17-6-2008 by mOOmOO]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mOOmOO

Move out of the city then. Stick solar panels on your windows. Use lower power devices. Use less technology. Stick a fan on your window. Be creative. Shop for cheaper electricity. Use wind up devices. Turn your TV off standby.

Think.

Most selfish materialistic idiots tend to live in cities anyway.

Your post was good right up until that last line, then you blew it with the stereotyping. Some people live in the city because it's closer to their jobs than living out in the country. Those people actually could walk or bike to work and would use less gas than someone who lives 30 miles out of town. I fail to see how that could be considered selfish or materialistic.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Ofcourse its mostly tax that you are paying. Afterall, you do have social medicine don;t you???? as most of Europe as well or the Eu as you call it. Somebody has to pay for the medicine dont you agree?? We do not have social medicine in the US and hopefully never will otherwise we would be in the same mess as you are. As for our BTU for gas or electric it varies from State to State and county to county so I cannot give you the cost. I am sure if you look further into the internet you just might be able to fine that information. I don't have the time right now. Thank you.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Hi marge, nice to see active

It's of note that US oil production peaked in 70 - 71...we became net-importers. It wasn't until production peaked in 2006...that the UK also became a net-importer of oil & refined products.

Only so much to go around at current global depletion rates. To date...more barrels of crude are being pumped out of existing fields...than are being replaced by successful exploration. North Sea production is one example.

World Oil Production Declined in May

As Americans...I think we sometimes interpret situations from a very 'centric', or myopic POV. I hear folks stating things like; There can't be an oil shortage...there's no gas rationing...no lines at the filling-stations! etc. I might add the word "yet".

Call to OPEC -- 25 Countries Suffer Fuel Shortages

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
This winter you will really start to see electricity rates climb in the USA as all the people with Oil heaters start buying small electric heaters to defray the expense.

It will not be whining when the newly homeless, those on fixed incomes, and the poor who are already stressed economically, start to freeze to death in the US.

The people of all nations are being shoved toward a cliff, and it is not the peoples choosing that this happen. But it will be our fault if we allow this to happen.

We are beginning see a pushback from the lower eschelons of government all around the world. We need a leader or leaders, and no one has risen to the occasion yet. I fear that when one does, we will not know whether they are a part of the big show, or are genuine.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I am actually considering looking into a water for fuel kit for my furnace which is oil.I am going to buy one and try it out on a lawn mower first.But I keep my heat set at 68 in the winter.I have kept it that way and ever since my daughter was born, her body has become acclimated to it.You really do get use to the lower temperature.It save quite a lot of money.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

Its not like there are ten different electric companies to shop through when aquiring service.

Greed is king.

[edit on 6/16/08 by BlackOps719]

You cant choose your electric company? I can actually choose from more then 10 companies to supply my electricity. When I bought my house, I would get a flyer from a different company almost everyday on my doorstep. I havent noticed any increasing in electricity yet. It will be 3 yrs before i see my electricity increase. dont know if this is common practice, but the electric company i picked lets you sign a contract to lock in your rate for a certain time period. I did one for three years, which at the time i was worried about, but now not so much since im hearing about how high electricity is now.

In fact, my electricity bill has gone down since last year. Then i was living in a 600 sq ft apt and paying 120/mo for electricity. Now I have a new 1800 sq ft house and only pay 100/mo and everything in my house is electric, no gas at all. This is probably due to better insulation and my fancy programable thermostat then anything else. just for reference, I usually keep the ac on around 73-75 from when i get home from work to about an hr after i go to bed. then it shuts off until the next day when i get home from work again. In the winter time, i wont turn on the heater but maybe once or twice. Usually leave it off in the winter, thats what blankets are for. of course it doesnt really get that cold either, maybe in the 20's or 30's a few days out of the year.

[edit on 17-6-2008 by tdubz]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Stumason
My mistake. Thanks for educating me.

What do those taxes of yours pay for anyway? In my state we have a pretty high gas tax, something like 23 cents, plus the federal tax of ~20 cents, but that's still nowhere near as high a percentage of cost per gallon as you're talking about. I pay about $4.20 a gallon for 89 octane, which is probably pretty close to what you pay for a litre of the stuff.

Not to change the subject, but what's the general state of the electrical grid in the EU?

In America we have a woefully inadequate distribution system, it hasn't seen a meaningful upgrade in decades.

It's only going to get worse, decaying more and more every year, until someone fixes the damn thing and brings it into the 21st century...

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
so i just checked the rates that my electric company is providing right now and they are ranging from 15 to 17 cents per kilowatt hour.

I think i signed up around 12 to 13 cents per kilowatt hour. thats a pretty big increase in a matter of months.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo

I have not heard one whimper from congress about this....amazing! It only further proves how corrupt our entire system of government has become to alow this type of gouging to continue.

I do suspect that the reason for their inattentiveness goes back to cheney's secret energy meeting of a few years past...the one where cheney was taken to the supreme court in an effort to make him tell WHO had attended and WHAT they intended to do.

Only a week or so before it went to the court, cheney was hobnobbing with scalia. And of course, scalia was more than happy (along with his other neocon, appointed by poppy and reagan judges) to give cheney a pass. Noone knows what happened at that meeting, but I've no doubt that oil, energy and the out of control prices that have come with it could be traced back to that time.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   

"Consumers now face a tough reality on electricity,"
"Consumers now face a tough reality on gas prices,"
"Consumers now face a tough reality on food prices,"
"Consumers now face a tough reality on credit,"
"Consumers now face a tough reality on privacy,"
"Consumers now face a tough reality on civil rights,"

Welcome to the inflation nightmare !!

Mwahahahaha !!

(on a serious note, this aint the half of it, and this is the result of recession.)

[edit on 18-6-2008 by smirkley]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Wholesale gas prices jump 14% after leak in North Sea pipeline

UK wholesale gas prices soared by more than 14% yesterday after a leak on a North Sea pipeline prompted fears about scarce supplies this winter....

The firm [Statoil Hydro] closed the pipeline, which pumps an estimated 5% of Norway's total gas output, and warned it could remain shut until 2009....

The amount of gas available from Norway to countries, including the UK, will be cut significantly. Without adequate storage, the UK will be left to negotiate with Russia and the Far East for supplies or risk running low on energy."....
Full Text

Russia's influence on European gas supplies may get an interim boost.

If this shut-in continues into 09, could Moscow leverage this development with respect to it's aspirations in Georgia

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join