It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fluoride is Natural in Water

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I'm tired of hearing about the fluoride in water conspiracy theories. Fluoride occurs naturally in the ocean, earth's crust, and fresh water. Is God in on the conspiracy?

www.env.gov.bc.ca...

The fluoride content of natural water supplies in Canada varies between 0.01 and 4.5 mg/L. Ground water infiltration is suspected of being the major source of fluoride in surface water with high fluoride concentrations (Anon, 1980). Since some natural supplies exceed the fluoride drinking water objective of 1.0 mg/L, they need to be treated to remove excess fluoride. Other supplies are below the objective and need to have fluoride added since too little has detrimental effects on teeth.

Health Risks

• There is no known health risk associated with drinking water fluoridated with the recommended levels.
  • Like many natural substances, fluoride can be harmful if taken in excessive amounts, but toxic levels cannot be reached by drinking fluoridated water.
  • Scientific evidence does not support claims that fluoridated water has more lead/or other chemicals than non-fluoridated water.

www.halton.ca...

Finally,

In response to claims that water fluoridation is dangerous, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) reviewed research on dental cavities prevention and public policy, including fluoridation. It agreed with antifluoride activists that many studies in this area are of poor quality. However, the NIH panel concluded that the unevenness of research does not invalidate the clear benefits of fluoride. The NIH believes that the dramatic reductions in tooth decay in the past 30 years are due to fluoridation of the water supply, and parents and health professionals should continue to ensure that kids receive enough fluoride to prevent cavities.
www.kidshealth.org...

Fluoridated water is no more dangerous than unfluoridated, and the benefits for dental health are great and proven.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

No matter where you stand on the benefits/perils of public water fluoridation from a health point of view, there is a graver concern.
The main objection is the ability of governments to medicate their population without their consent.

Fluoridation:

A threat to your health and liberty

A Green Party 2003 elections briefing

Michelle Dixon

April 2003

Contact Green Party press office, 020 7561 0282, [email protected]

Contents

Introduction p 2
Fluoride is harmful to health p 2
Fluoride doesn’t reduce tooth decay p 3
Fluoridation contravenes human rights and medical ethics p 3
The government’s scientific advisors aren't being very scientific p 4
Fluoridation harms the environment p 4
Most countries don’t fluoridate p 4
8. Conclusion: Don't fluoridate – educate p 5

1. Introduction

1.1 Green Party candidates in this year’s elections to the National Assembly for Wales and the English local authorities are campaigning to prevent the fluoridation of Britain’s drinking water – or where the local water supply is already fluoridated, to stop this. The party will take a prominent role in combating fluoridation wherever the issue might be raised.

www.greenparty.org.uk...(1).htm

[edit on 16-6-2008 by schrodingers dog]

Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by GAOTU789]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

You're missing the point. Fluoride is natural in water. Some places have to remove it from the water so it doesn't exceed safe levels. Do you want gov'ts to leave unsafe levels of fluoride in the water? No, of course not.
Fluoride does prevent tooth decay. Its benefits are proven.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

That is not correct.
I have obviously have no problem with the government removing poisons from our water supply be they fluoride or anything else. That is their duty.
But that is not the same as adding fluoride or any other supplement in my water without my consent. Don't I have the right to manage my own health, why not then put vitamin c,b,a,d?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Don't I have the right to manage my own health, why not then put vitamin c,b,a,d?

Yes. You have the choice not to drink the fluoridated water. Some bottled water has no fluoride in it. If you wish to drink natural water then you must assume there will be some fluoride in it whether the gov't put it there or not. Most fresh water has fluoride in it already. Where's the conspiracy?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
As a health care student and worker we often had this debate.

natural fluoride is always going to be present - the argument is that Fluoridisation requires constant monitoring of the water supply to ensure that no harmful effects are possible from this medicating of the water supplies.

You don't need this unatural additive. Look after your teeth, understand how and why certain processes take place in the mouth, and just take care of yourself.

We know fluoride is a natural product found in our water supply, so leave nature be - this mass experiment is wrong as it denies the consumer a free choice.

I saved this till last... natural versus man made fluoride..

The Fluoridisation agent used by most water authorities throughout the world is sourced from phosphate fertiliser plants, and is an industrial grade that can contain traces of Lead, Arsenic, Cadmium and other real goodies. also they have never been tested for safety in humans, see www.flouridealert.org... The more expensive pharmaceutical grade of Fluoride, sodium salt is seldom used.

Enjoy your mass medication.

Fluoride in water

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte

Don't I have the right to manage my own health, why not then put vitamin c,b,a,d?

Yes. You have the choice not to drink the fluoridated water. Some bottled water has no fluoride in it. If you wish to drink natural water then you must assume there will be some fluoride in it whether the gov't put it there or not. Most fresh water has fluoride in it already. Where's the conspiracy?

The conspiracy is in the medication of the masses and the UNATURAL NATURE of the chemical they add.

If they used a non-by product maybe they would take this train of thought away - they don't, because they use a cheap by product...

Your gambling that they have no ulterior motive for this.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

"At the end of the Second World War, the United States Government sent Charles Elliot Perkins, a research worker in chemistry, biochemistry, physiology and pathology, to take charge of the vast Farben chemical plants in Germany. While there, he was told by German chemists of a scheme which had been worked out by them during the war and adopted by the German General Staff.

"This scheme was to control the population in any given area through mass medication of drinking water. In this scheme, sodium fluoride occupied a prominent place.

"Repeated doses of infinitesimal amounts of fluoride will in time reduce an individual's power to resist domination by slowly poisoning and narcotising a certain area of the brain, and will thus make him submissive to the will of those who wish to govern him.

"Both the Germans and the Russians added fluoride to the drinking water of prisoners of war to make them stupid and docile."

Still want to drink that glass of water ?

Nazi use of fluoride

Do a little research...you'll be amazed at what you find.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by Dan Tanna]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   

First of all I never said there was a conspiracy. I'm just trying to defend my individual rights to manage my health. And as far as bottled water is concerned, my right to unmedicated water should not be predicated by my income. They are called "utilities" for a reason.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I'd love to be the proverbial "fly on the wall" and see what other noxious foods, substances, or liquids are ingested by those that whine about flouridation in public water supplies. Drinking a popular carbonated beverage right now? Munching on a Slim-Jim maybe?

The complaint about flouridated water would get far better traction if there were some solid, factual, evidence that the practice is measurably harmful.

Don't be all "activist" simply because "it's there"....find some real "cause and effect" and complain about that.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MrPenny

What part of having the right to choose my own supplements or medications is being an activist? You say fluoride is healthy, fine. Do you mind if I decide for myself? How would you like it if I spray your dinner with healthy supplements without your consent?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

I'm amazed that you think the gov't is putting huge amounts of fluoride into the water. Like most naturally occurring elements, fluorine is toxic in high doses. That doesn't mean it's not beneficial in low doses, generally no more than 1 part per million. Show me one municipal water supply that exceeds this limit.

Serious toxic effects are possible from massive doses of extremely high levels of fluoride (e.g. 2500-5000 mgs of fluoride would have to be consumed at one sitting to achieve this). In comparison, only 1 mg of fluoride is found in 1 liter (4 cups) of fluoridated water at 1 ppm. You would have to drink 3,125 liters of fluoridated water at1 ppm at one sitting, to obtain a toxic dose of fluoride.

The fluoride that you consume, if not utilized by your teeth and bones is efficiently excreted by your kidneys within 24 hours. To obtain a fluoride level that could harm your bones, an individual would have to drink 10 - 25 liters (equivalent to 50-125 cups) of fluoridated water at 1 ppm per day for 10 to 20 years. The average fluid intake for an adult is 1.5 liters (6 cups) a day.
www.bchealthguide.org...

I am enjoying that glass of water now. But I won't be drinking 3,125 litres in one sitting, any time soon.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
re-examination of fluoride toxicity

Still drinking that water ?

Fluoride poisoning has occurred in the USA because of pump trouble, and from fluoride mistaken ingestion by mistaken use of fluoride. However, fluoride poisoning has also occurred from recommended use of fluoride. This fact suggests that the toxic dose is lower than widely believed. The 1991 Ad Hoc Committee,36 another 1991 USA workshop,1 a 1992 workshop in Canada,2 WHO in 1994,3 and the American Society of Pediatrics,37 all promoters of fluoride use, have begun to re-examine the daily dose of fluoride because of the increased incidence of dental fluorosis.38-40 This increase may be attributable to increased daily fluoride intake from fluoride-containing toothpaste, fluoride mouth rinsing, fluoride tablets and drops, from beverages, especially juices and juice-flavored drinks,41 and from fluoridation of water supply systems.

Really, you still think its not a problem or some thing to be aware of ? Good for you, enjoy your medication.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

According to the article you cite there is fluoride in almost all processed food and drink. If the gov't is trying to poison us why isn't everyone sick? Why aren't ERs full of fluoride poisoning victims? Because the evidence shows that the vast majority of people are unaffected in any way.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Silly post, actually (in my opinion:lol

Hey, man go ahead and drink your fluoridated water, drink whatever the fork you like.
The government in Amsterdam doesnt fluoridate water and the water in Amsterdam is deemed the best in the world.
Ingesting fluoride doesnt do any good for the teeth, anyway.

This post is clearly again one of those posts that doesnt want to prove anything, but tries to discredit and divert attention.
From your previous reactions and posts it is becoming clear that you have a certain hatred for people who mistrust authoritiy as we have it now.
Anyway, join the conspiracy if you will, but do not begrudge people their own choice.
It still eludes me why some dogs defend the owner that beats them and poisons them...but then again, I am not a dog

And heck! Behaviour like yours is quite silly on a CONSPIRACY site, come to think of it.
Embrace ignorance, eh? It is not even covert, in your case, mister penny!

[edit on 16-6-2008 by dervishmadwhirler]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   

According to the article you cite there is fluoride in almost all processed food and drink. If the gov't is trying to poison us why isn't everyone sick? Why aren't ERs full of fluoride poisoning victims? Because the evidence shows that the vast majority of people are unaffected in any way.

Unaffected? Havent you seen the voting behaviour of people? Havent you seen the change in most of the youth from openminded people to echoes of the (illegal) government? Havent you noticed the increase in fascism and racism in america? The inability to think and the inability to resist oppression?

Mod Edit: Personal comment removed. Please take a moment to review the Terms and Conditions of Use which you agreed to abide by when becoming a member. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 16/6/08 by JAK]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by dervishmadwhirler
Silly post, actually (in my opinion:lol

Hey, man go ahead and drink your fluoridated water, drink whatever the fork you like.

Your post is silly as well as it doesn't provide any evidence that the levels of fluoride in water are harmful. Nor does it address the fact that fluoride is natural in water.
And, thank you, I will drink water. Since it's not dangerous.

The government in Amsterdam doesnt fluoridate water and the water in Amsterdam is deemed the best in the world.
Ingesting fluoride doesnt do any good for the teeth, anyway.

Nice try. Amsterdam has the best water in the Netherlands not the world, sometimes only in the top 3. But, congratulations on having good tap water. Here is the reason, not because it's not fluoridated.

The reason that the tap water is of this high quality is that the water company (Waternet) has an advanced and innovative water purification system, and constantly invests in the latest technology.
www.simplyamsterdam.nl...

This post is clearly again one of those posts that doesnt want to prove anything, but tries to discredit and divert attention.
From your previous reactions and posts it is becoming clear that you have a certain hatred for people who mistrust authoritiy as we have it now.
Anyway, join the conspiracy if you will, but do not begrudge people their own choice.

You could be talking about your own post with this statement. And, no, I don't hate people who mistrust authority. I do myself but in this case there is no proof that fluoridation harms people; there is evidence that it does prevent tooth decay. Plus, it occurs naturally in most water.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by dervishmadwhirler
Unaffected? Havent you seen the voting behaviour of people? Havent you seen the change in most of the youth from openminded people to echoes of the (illegal) government? Havent you noticed the increase in fascism and racism in america? The inability to think and the inability to resist oppression?

I'm sorry, what! You think fluoridation is the cause of all that? I don't think so. What evidence is there that links fluoridation with voting behaviour, increases in fascism and racism, the inability to think or resist oppression? I prefer to believe people have free will to vote the way they wish, to be open-minded or not, to be a racist or not, to think or not. I don't thin fluoridation has anything to do with it.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

TheComte,
You keep pushing the health aspect of fluoride but still have not addressed our right not to be medicated by our government. Please answer the question I put to you earlier: How would you feel if I or an fda employee sprayed your dinner with vitamins without your consent?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Feces can also be natural in water, it doesn't mean it's healthy for us.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join