It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supersonic Stealth Bombers, is it possible?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Me ! me ! Pick me ! (sorry, had to throw in that shrek funny!)

I know this one.

Boeing have the answer to that one I believe - J hartsvigsen was the man behind thermal and visible signature reduction programmes.

This 1989 patent looks at hypersonic airframe IR reduction too -

Hypersonic IR reduction patent

NASA hypersonic aircraft design

This above is a NASA Pdf and shows some ideas of skin cooling.

ill be back... with more on hypersonic IR reduction - i need to access another hard drive.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
One could theorize that the plasma generated around a hypersonic vehicle would in itself reduce the RCS.
The issue then of course is the massive IR footprint -

Natalie~

True...

But then your flying with no offboard sensors or external communications... I think.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
This 1989 patent looks at hypersonic airframe IR reduction too -

Hypersonic IR reduction patent

Ach... ignore that!

At the kinda altitudes here, you have to include the Boltzmann equation in aerodynamics, there is no vapour to cool the outer surface - unless they intend to release stuff through the surface itself - kinda like a de-icer in reverse.

NASA hypersonic aircraft design

This above is a NASA Pdf and shows some ideas of skin cooling.

ill be back... with more on hypersonic IR reduction - i need to access another hard drive.

Hmmm, very general.

The main cooling technique will of course be the use of piped coolant within the LE surfacew and a heat exchanger. Such a system is already in use on the F-22.

There is nothing yet on hiding the engine jet plume that I am aware of, and I would imagine it is quite a substantial plume.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I had no idea the B-1 had such a small signature. Looking at all those rounded surfaces, I would think it looks like a whole flight of F-15s.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Rounded surfaces help. Its straight lines and 90 degree angles that contribute to higher RCS

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316
But then your flying with no offboard sensors or external communications... I think.

I think you'd be limited to the extremely high- (and perhaps extremely low-?) ends of the radio spectrum. But it may be possible.
The idea persists that by shaping the leading edge correctly you can leave a "window" towards the tail of the a/c. That would be where I would place my money.
There was also a program called run that studied plasma layer ("sheath" is the term that is, or was, in vogue) formation and the propagation effects on various frequencies. It then tried to solve real time solutions to the best frequencies to use. I can't for the life of me remember the program name.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by _Del_]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ragster

Everywhere. The SR-71 flying from London to Los Angeles started decelerating over Pheonix and blew out windows in Beverly Hills. I used to have an interesting page on the effects of sonic booms on the ground, I'll see if I can dig it up and link to it again.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by firepilot
Rounded surfaces help. Its straight lines and 90 degree angles that contribute to higher RCS
If thats the case wasn't the F-117 a waste of time then

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
No, because the F-117 didn't have 90 degree angles. They were either below or beyond 90 degrees, and there were so many of them that they scattered the radar.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Straight edges or facets are alot easier to manufacture as well. Hence the shape of stealth aircraft has evolved with manufacturing processes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join