It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supersonic Stealth Bombers, is it possible?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
In the world of today we have advanced weapons systems boasting incredible ICBM systems and stealth weapon technologies. Now I rememeber a time ago when none of the advanced technology was around and the simple need to get a payload to a target fast enough so that and interceptor aircraft will not catch it. One of my most favorite aircraft growing up was the XB-70 Supersonic Bomber, it was an aircraft back in the 1950's for the Strategic Air Command of the United States. This aircraft was a great design and incredibly fast for its time, it was developed to bring a payload preferably a nuclear payload to a target area in mach times across the globe.

Now today if we want to send a nuclear payload all that is needed logically is a target area and or an ICBM launch or a stealth B-2 Bomber launch. In a dream I had last night I was at my small town airport and we drive under this huge aircraft, when I turned around it was an XB-70 look alike, except, it was smaller and had 6 huge engines with thrust vectoring nozzles. I kinda was telling the people in the car how incredible it was because it could deliver a payload around the world in a short time.

Now that I look back on everything I see missiles that travel way past mach 3, and stealth truly outplays anything from the 1950's. I suppose out of all of this. My question arises.

Would it be better for a country to create a super sonic stealth bomber rather than have ICBM or simple Stealth Bombers?

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Wouldn't the sonic boom created by going supersonic render the stealth aspects of any aircraft useless though?

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

Clever.....

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I don't know anything about airplanes or military crafts but this video caught my attention.

I seen this design on a video about some skunk works just don't remember what manufacturer it was show with.

Anyone recognize it?

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
solidshot:

When I first read that, I thought the same thing, but now that I think about it, I have to say maybe I don't necessarily agree with it.

Sometimes, it really is better to have things done sooner rather than later.

Whether a plane is going supersonic or not, anyone on the ground is going to know that something is flying over, and they can call it in that something is on the way. Stealth is nothing more than to hide an aircraft from RADAR and try to keep those who would like to shoot it down from having an easy job of doing so.

Survivability is number one. Why even try to build something to do a job if there's not much chance that it can be done before being shot out of the sky?

One thing in your line of thinking of why go supersonic that you didn't mention and may not have thought about is, what about IR? If someone can see the heat signature coming off the plane, that's something the pilots of the aircraft won't like at all, and is something that going supersonic doesn't really help with.

There's still a lot that the engineers need to work out before they can build a truly "Invisible" aircraft.

Until that is all figured out, I have think that going back to the days before stealth when speed was a pilots best friend is still the way to go.

I can't wait to see what they come up with once they do.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Well when the b1 was first proposed it was a mach 2 bomber and supposed somewhat stealthy,flying below the enemies radar.They figured anything over mach 1 has no purpose and defeats the purpose with the afterburners and the sonic boom when your just defeating radar itself.Remember stealth is suppose to not be seen on radar as opposed to be fast.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by alienstar]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Supersonic stealth aircraft are flying right now - it's called the F-22 Raptor. It is supersonic and has a smaller RCS than the B-2 supposedly.

As far as aural stealth for a supersonic vehicle, as in no sonic boom try the Quiet Supersonic Platform that DARPA, Gulfstream and Northrop have been working on: LINK

Infrared stealth was mentioned... Well, the B-2 employs Infrared stealth/missile evading technology, as mentioned in a notorious spy case in Australia back in November of 2005: LINK

Regards,

Natalie~

[edit on 6-15-2008 by intelgurl]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
But the b2 is subsonic.The f22 is a supposed replacement for the f15 and classified as a stealth fighter.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
yup we have one

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienstar
But the b2 is subsonic.The f22 is a supposed replacement for the f15 and classified as a stealth fighter.

I mentioned the B-2 because someone might bring up infrared stealth, and that is the only reason.

The F-22 Raptor does indeed carry ground strike munitions and can be very deadly in that role. Those munitions are called "bombs" and therefore it qualifies to be discussed in this thread.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by intelgurl

Very good!

Exactly!
Good eye

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
yup we have one...

The B-1 although not actually thought of as a stealth bomber with VLO (Very Low Observable) technology, is an LO (Low Observable) airframe, having an RCS of about a square meter.

Just mentioning it...

[edit on 6-15-2008 by intelgurl]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Well it's not " BRILLIANT PEBBLES " but it's a start!

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I am a SSgt In the Air Force, and I work on these things.. I work on the weapons systems, and load the planes. The speed has nothing to do with radar picking up a signiture or not. The B-1 is a super sonic stealth fighter. even if it is going supper sonic it would still leave a very small radar signiture. however, it would require way to much fuel to fly supersonic from here to russia, or the middle east.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
Supersonic stealth aircraft are flying right now - it's called the F-22 Raptor. It is supersonic

... and drops bombs.

Hence a supersonic, stealth, bomber.

As for whether a bespoke supersonic stealth bomber is possible - yeah - no reason why not. There are already supersonic bombers with limited radar signature reduction technologies built in (B1B and Tu-160 to name two). The FB-22 was a proposal (at least, webforum proposal - dunno if anything concrete actually emerged) built on the F-22 with a greater payload and range.

Now... hypersonic and low radar cross section - that is a challenge. Heck, hypersonic, useful payload, usable range and servicable is a challenge without radar and thermals to worry about.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
I mentioned the B-2 because someone might bring up infrared stealth, and that is the only reason.

I assume the B-2 does not have underexpanded engine nozzles for better mixing of the jet plume to cool it down?

For thrust at supersonic speeds, you need a supersonic jet plume (need to accelerate the flow) - so it would be much harder to mix with colder air and thus harder to hide thermally.

It might not be feasibly possible to (adequately) hide the thermal exhaust plume of a supersonic bomber/fighter.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Magnetohydrodynamics.

A hypersonic aircraft can be fast AND super stealthy, not just run of the mill F-22 stealth, but far far in advance of that.

using and having control over the plamsa around a hypersonic aircraft will allow them to generate huge amounts of electrical power, and have the perfect stealth coating of all.

Plasma.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

yea wow, thats smart thinking
yea i need to say more also after thinking, an for the reply to this below indeed.
the supersonic boom would create a loud noise. But now for the twist, is there a high altitude where you would not hear this boom?

[edit on 16-6-2008 by ragster]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ragster

edited because I see who your talking about now.

magnetohydrodynamics and plasma are the future however in hypersonic aircraft and stealth design.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by Dan Tanna]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316
Now... hypersonic and low radar cross section - that is a challenge.

One could theorize that the plasma generated around a hypersonic vehicle would in itself reduce the RCS.
The issue then of course is the massive IR footprint -

Natalie~

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join