It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The love of money is the root of all evil"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Sup Madness long time to see. To be honest I think the holy scirpture is true. Most people want money everybody is money hungary. Be time bussiness want money. Everybody wants money. I am not going to lie money is Good but it dont control me. Madness your unfaith sucks big time. for such a smart man. But the fact is this if God said it its true and you will find the true of God soon enough. God bless.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
self indulgence isn't a cause of genocides
self indulgence doesn't cause people to lock away a family member for getting knocked up out of wedlock
self indulgence doesn't cause all evil
self indulgence doesn't cause all rapes in the world
self indulgence doesn't cause child abuse
self indulgence doesn't cause etc etc

what?! now your just not being reasonable.

rape is self gratification, whether the desire is for sex, or the desire is to hurt the person. the rapist wants it so he does it. i dont see how that isnt self indulgence.

locking a pregnant family member away could be because of shame. people WANT a good reputation and will probably do anything to keep it. again i dont see how that is self indulgence.

everything every sin can come back to desire. you want something so you do what you do to get it.

even rage is desire with no self control. someone does something or says something that makes you filled with rage. murder is your desire without self control. people murder because either it suits their purpose (them being dead would help turn things your way) or because their emotions are so strong, they want them dead (rage)

everything boils down to desire.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Miraim you must expect these reactions. Girl we are in the age where st paul said men would be puffed up beyond measure.

So basically everybody plays the advocate because of their understanding lacking. it's either that or they want God to be false so they need to find fault with the just commands and so forth.

in any case, rape IS self pleasure. Plain and simple, pure evil from a lustful motive.

we are in the age where people will start to argue against good and for evil.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Its important to take into account the context by which this statement is made. As an example, can it not be said that carrots cause cancer? After all, 99% of all cancer patients have eaten carrots? I should say not. Nor is Money the absolute root of all evil, no more then carrots causing cancer.

Therefore,

I have posted the surrounding text so that we may see what Timothy was referring to, and not distort the context of his message by removing a select grouping of words without understanding the foundation of his statement.

Timothy 6
If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content. 9 But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

And in Matthew

"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth

Peace

[edit on 17-9-2008 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
And now to quote a non-religious source-the late Dorothy Parker:

If you would learn what God thinks about money, you have only to look at those to whom He has given it.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

In using another source. Indeed here is an example of one such person.

In the book Jerusalem, Song of Songs by Leon Uris, there is some interesting input on Isaiah:

His was no voice of a bare footed wanderer with a prophets crook in his hand

He was from a family of wealth and advisor of up to four kings.

Like Amos, he raged against ill gotten and greed motivated fortune, showered love on the poor, and downtrodden and fostered human justice and charity. He decried the ills of society, the sham and the bribary in the priesthood and in the dispensation of justice, the shabby treatment of the orphan, the bastard and the widow, the hypocrisy of false religious morality, land evictions on bloated estates, and of course, paganism.

When the economy is flourishing, and estates are overflowing at the books, and citizens of sudden misfortune and hardship are removed from their homes and prevented from basic essentials, there are those that would argue that its within the estate owners right.

I would present that that it would not be the right thing to do.

Who is the real land owner?

Jesus tells you right here. Matthew 21:33
[

There was a landowner who PLANTED A VINEYARD AND PUT A WALL AROUND IT AND DUG A WINE PRESS IN IT, AND BUILT A TOWER, and rented it out to vine-growers and went on a journey. 34 “When the harvest time approached, he sent his slaves to the vine-growers to receive his produce. 35 “The vine-growers took his slaves and beat one, and killed another, and stoned a third. 36 “Again he sent another group of slaves larger than the first; and they did the same thing to them. 37 “But afterward he sent his son to them, saying, ‘They will respect my son.’ 38 “But when the vine-growers saw the son, they said among themselves, ‘This is the heir; come, let us kill him and seize his inheritance.’ 39 “They took him, and threw him out of the vineyard and killed him. 40 “Therefore when the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those vine-growers?” 41 They said to Him, “He will bring those wretches to a wretched end, and will rent out the vineyard to other vine-growers who will pay him the proceeds at the proper seasons.

Peace

[edit on 18-9-2008 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by HIFIGUY

Yes, there were many wealthy people mentioned in the Bible that were used by God for good purpose. Abraham, Moses, Matthew, Saul, et al. The scriptures state that God "owns the cattle on a thousand hills". Money is just another tool God gives us so that we can use it to show His giving nature. It's not meant to be heaped up for our own comforts and pleasures or indulgences.

I long ago learned the futility of discussing religious topics with MIMS so I was merely trying to inject a little levity to lighten what is sure to be yet another Christian bashing session. A thousand pardons.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

"all kinds of" isn't the proper translation. go back to the original greek and you'll see that "the root of all evil" is the proper translation

um...no

actually, it's just the lack of an audience. if the majority of people on ATS were muslims, i'd address the quran more often.

actually, this insanely idiotic point has been addressed every time someone has spewed it out on ATS

why don't i address hinduism and the vedas?
or wicca?
or other stuff?
because the majority of the religious members of ATS are christians
it's called knowing your audience

so it still stands.

try to say "wow, what a weak argument" when you can show that it's weak.

American Standard Version
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil: which some reaching after have been led astray from the faith, and have pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

International Standard Version (©2008)
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, in their eagerness to get rich, have wandered away from the faith and caused themselves a lot of pain.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

International Standard Version (©2008)
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, in their eagerness to get rich, have wandered away from the faith and caused themselves a lot of pain.

It is isn't just weak, it is pathetically weak and from looking at your profile madnessinmysoul, it isn't your audience you seek to know but ostensibly your adversary you are driven to malign.

In the context this statement is given, the point being made here isn't so much about money being the root of all evil but of all sorts of evil all kinds of evil. That makes more sense does it not? Especially when you read the entire central message the passage is trying to convey. That it is NOT money but the worship of it the love of it.

Certainly it is NOT the only evil and the Bible assumes you have at least that much common sense to understand it so. You claiming this is an absolutists statement says more about your deliberate lack of trying to understand this text in that it suits your habitual desire and apparent mission here to assail anything the Bible has to say with impunity. The greek ?? NoT

[edit on 19-10-2008 by MAINTAL]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join