It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

hypersensativity to certain noises...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
first off, i apologize if this is in the wrong thread, or off topic all together. This is not a 'conspiracy' more of a complete mystery

I still remember, vividly, the very first time i experienced this sensation. I was at an awards banquet, the summer before my Freshman year.
Up until this time, none of the following had ever had quite an impact on me.

I've done strenuous research, and every time i think i find answers, it turns out to be a dead end. Mostly some dork posting his or her opinions. I spoke to a doctor about it, and he prescribed Xanax. Of course it did more harm than good, so i have yet to go back to a doctor

The sensation im talking about is very hard to describe, but ill do my best.

When i hear certain noises *expressed later* i have an uncontrollable surge of anger. I say 'hypersensative' because i can be in a crowded room, talking with friends, and if a particular noise happens, i immediately pick up on it, and it distracts me, 100%, from everything around me.

The noises arent that vast, and include

* That noise that liquid does when pouring something into a glass. From beginning to end, its worse than nails on a chalk board

* The sound of someone chewing. Again - it doesnt matter where i am, if its audible, even barely, its all i can concentrate on.

* Silverware clanging on china.
* A dog licking
* Just recently - a cow sucking on a bottle (that suckling noise) almost drove me to breaking my tv

* Gulping while drinking (seen that stupid Starbucks commercial for their new canned beverage????)

* while listening to the radio, when someone has been talking alot, and spit builds up in their mouth, and you can hear them clamp air, swallow, breathe deep and continue talking....

* i think the worst one though is if you're setting in a room (especially a quite one) and crunch cereal is being chomped. Very serious thoughts of phsyical anger come rushing into my head on this one. Honestly though- i nkow people have to eat, and im not mad at that person persay, its just....well i dont know what it is (thats why im here)
I cant even listen to myself on this one, i wont eat crunchy cereal unless i have something on (music, tv, headphones)

Most of it comes from TV. For some reason, TV programs find it necessary to capture chewing/drinking/licking, and of course, its amplified by stereo sound...

When i describe this to anyone, they all give the same knee jerk reaction that im just being a butt head. It really is not intentional. My typical public response is to retreat to the nearest area of seclusion and scream as loud as i can...though sometimes that doesnt happen (IE: if i was having a bad day already)

Who knows? Maybe i am a butthead. Maybe Xanax was supposed to work? I really dont know. I have not seen a therapist, because quite frankly, there arent any in my area, that you dont have to drive 45 minutes to see (and at 4 dollars a gallon...thats sort of out of the way anymore)

So i wonder if anyone hear has these experiences or knows of someone who does.

Please keep in mind - i share thsi with you because it is a real problem. They are not minor nuisances. They are very serious reactions to these certain noises. Nails on a chalk board does nothing to me.

I've never lashed out in physical violence, but oh my god does it feel as though, some days, that may happen.

Any input would be most valuable

Thank You

[edit on 5-6-2008 by QBert]

[edit on 5-6-2008 by QBert]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Qbert,
a very interesting case, and strangely amiss at the same time.

You say this is certain noises ? do you mean certain frequencies / pitch / tone set you off ?

Have you had a head trauma before this started ? how long has it gone on ? does any thing relieve the pain bar moving away from the source ?

Sounds very akin to misophonia - anger respone in the brain generated by sensitivty to certain noises - it doesn't matter what pitch and tone, your brain hates the noise - hence the deep anger.

Have a chat to your dr about this - It is treatable but you need proper Medical Drs advice and an audiologists care.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
im not well versed on audiology (eg: pitch, tone, etc)

No head trauma's outside typical concussions from H.S. football, a few roller blading goofs, etc. nothing serious.

It happened my freshman year in highschool, and, to my best memory, nothing triggered it..it just......happened.

how long....about 19 years now ><

as far as anything relieving it. If i set and think about the sound , i can start to get very upset. Nothing liek actually hearing the sound, but you know how you can "ghost play" sounds back in your brain? (im such a horrible example giver) but to answer your question - no- there isnt any sort of relief i've been able to find aside from secluding myself. Typically a lot of swearing and name calling involved. Outside of this - i am a very mellow guy. I dont get very rialed up, unless its something im deeply passionate about. Day to day life doesnt bother me....just this.

as fas as i can tell - all the thing si've mentioned thus far have a "smack" involved with them. A very eager rush upwards in the audible spectrum, with a very sharp peak, and then a disintigrated fade away with no audible down curve (wish i could draw a line to explain what i mean)

But you definately pointed me in the right direction
never heard of misophonia

ill do more reading. Also - i went to a doctor, and got a crap drug that just made my entire life crap for 2 months.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Misophonia is looking more like your symptoms with every email back i get from my old friends inside the health service.

Go seek a Dr who will get you sent to an audiologist, and explain to them what you think is wrong and start the ball from there.

Good luck, and remember, ALWAYS SEEK A TRAINED Dr FOR MEDICAL TREATMENT!

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
The sound of people chewing makes me mad too. Its gross.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by QBert

i dont have the exact same prob as you i just am senstive to high pitched noise's ex dog whisles

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I've experienced similar problems in the past, although not as advanced as the OP. After doing some research, I found some people who had the same problem. Some say magnesium supplements helped. I took some for a while and I have noticed less of an irritability to certain noises, though other things have changed in my life as well so I'm not sure if it was the pills.

Either way, it can't hurt to try.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I feel exactly the same way about all that you mentioned. And I feel horrible because sometimes it has made me so mad that I screamed at my mom or boyfriend to stop it! I am not an angry person in general, but this feels unbearable. I thought I was the only one. I wish I had answers too.

reply to post by QBert

[edit on 11-6-2008 by rubyeyes]

[edit on 11-6-2008 by rubyeyes]

top topics

join