It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
A well fought and informative debate, on both sides, gentlemen.

But it also seem to me to be one of those types of debate where the adversarial format isn't necessarily the best approach to finding 'truth' or making the most fundamental observations. Too much controversy involved. For example, the way you guys skirted around the vast religious traditions of prohibition of nudity. The opinion of what the vast majority of humanity deems 'ok' would seem more than relevant, regardless of the objective 'validity' of those beliefs. And there's too many points in such debate that make the arguer vulnerable to counterattack if mentioned. Seems like mentioning sex-crime statistics, and questioning social 'shame' indoctrination was right on the edge of that line. I'm glad it didn't get heated enough that either of you had to take the 'But we must protect the children!' stance.

Fun topic.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
A well fought and informative debate, on both sides, gentlemen.

But it also seem to me to be one of those types of debate where the adversarial format isn't necessarily the best approach to finding 'truth' or making the most fundamental observations. Too much controversy involved. For example, the way you guys skirted around the vast religious traditions of prohibition of nudity. The opinion of what the vast majority of humanity deems 'ok' would seem more than relevant, regardless of the objective 'validity' of those beliefs. And there's too many points in such debate that make the arguer vulnerable to counterattack if mentioned. Seems like mentioning sex-crime statistics, and questioning social 'shame' indoctrination was right on the edge of that line. I'm glad it didn't get heated enough that either of you had to take the 'But we must protect the children!' stance.

Fun topic.

There are many places we could have gone, and the pro-con approach does not serve the truth in this topic well (you´re right about that), but I think in the in the end both of us decided that we just want to debate for the fight of it, for the fun of it and win the debate.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Purple .. huh .... purple ..

Yup, purple suits you brother.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Purple .. huh .... purple ..

Yup, purple suits you brother.

If there´s something you wanna say, just say it

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I think he did..

How about you debate the "Meanings of Colors in a Person Avatar"

Open a lot of doors...

Semper

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Am I missing some secret meaning of purple here?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I don't think so...

I was just teasing...

It's actually the color of Kings I believe..

Semper

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
And Barney, the happy purple dinosaur.

(Ducks)

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Hey all....

Check out sos37...

New guy wants to debate...

sos37

Anyone free?

Semper

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Oh, it's so back on:

Challenge Match: emsed1 vs Ian McLean: The Mason's Just Need A Few Good Men

I'm currently enjoying a glass of Laphroaig in celebration of opening statements being completed. Cheers, emsed1!

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Nice...

Not much of a Scotch man myself, but I'll tip my NewCastle in your and emsed's direction...

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Oh, a pub! I didn't even see this thread until just now. I was too concentrated in my debate

Now that I have one debate down, I'm lookin' for a few good anti-masons to debate me on masonry. In the last one I had to be the anti-mason because I couldn't find one! You don't have to be one in reality, although its more fun that way

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Perhaps when you figure out how to spell 'guarantee' correctly, we'll talk...

I jest of course...but check your signature...

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Hey, I did that when it was late
I'm from the south, so think of it as me putting my southern draw on the word guarantee! See, its easy to defeat a country bumpkin like me in debate, I can't even spell correctly!

[edit on 27-7-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
Not much of a Scotch man myself

Yeah me neither; always thought it tasted like lighter fluid.. then I decided to try a bottle of good single malt scotch. My first sip, I thought it tasted like expensive lighter fluid. But it's grown on me -- there's lots of subtle and not-so-subtle flavors, and I'm learning to appreciate its, um, 'uncompromising characteristics'.
Still don't drink it neat, though -- one or two ice cubes, sipped and savored, not shot (yikes). There's cheaper ways to get drunk, when that's the goal.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
On a different note, I'd love to debate someone on the nature of conspiracy. I've been formulating an argument in my mind that the essential basis of all conspiracy is populist ideology, and would love to have an opponent to argue otherwise.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ALightinDarkness

Ian...there are Scotches worth sipping..but for me...definitely needs to be a special occasion.

ALID...I love your topic and am this close to accepting....but I fear that I have too much on my plate as it is...still thinking though...

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Whenever you get some stuff off your plate, let me know. Ive been thinking about it for quite a while, so I can wait some more until you get some free time. I know they love cracking the whips and keeping the moderators busy

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Ladies and Gents of the Debate Forum...Rankings have been updated...stayed tuned on more to follow.

I think we may have a tournament coming up...

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
The second Debate Tournament of 2008 is ready for sign ups....

Apply here

All of you 'newbies' to the debate forum..this is your chance..

Good Luck, Ladies and Gents.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join