It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Do You Define God?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
In the case that you believe in god, how would you go about defining god? Are we an accident, or are we engineered.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
"
PAPER 2 - THE NATURE OF GOD
INASMUCH as man's highest possible concept of God is embraced within the human idea and ideal of a primal and infinite personality, it is permissible, and may prove helpful, to study certain characteristics of the divine nature which constitute the character of Deity. The nature of God can best be understood by the revelation of the Father which Michael of Nebadon unfolded in his manifold teachings and in his superb mortal life in the flesh. The divine nature can also be better understood by man if he regards himself as a child of God and looks up to the Paradise Creator as a true spiritual Father.

The nature of God can be studied in a revelation of supreme ideas, the divine character can be envisaged as a portrayal of supernal ideals, but the most enlightening and spiritually edifying of all revelations of the divine nature is to be found in the comprehension of the religious life of Jesus of Nazareth, both before and after his attainment of full consciousness of divinity. If the incarnated life of Michael is taken as the background of the revelation of God to man, we may attempt to put in human word symbols certain ideas and ideals concerning the divine nature which may possibly contribute to a further illumination and unification of the human concept of the nature and the character of the personality of the Universal Father.

In all our efforts to enlarge and spiritualize the human concept of God, we are tremendously handicapped by the limited capacity of the mortal mind. We are also seriously handicapped in the execution of our assignment by the limitations of language and by the poverty of material which can be utilized for purposes of illustration or comparison in our efforts to portray divine values and to present spiritual meanings to the finite, mortal mind of man. All our efforts to enlarge the human concept of God would be well-nigh futile except for the fact that the mortal mind is indwelt by the bestowed Adjuster of the Universal Father and is pervaded by the Truth Spirit of the Creator Son. Depending, therefore, on the presence of these divine spirits within the heart of man for assistance in the enlargement of the concept of God, I cheerfully undertake the execution of my mandate to attempt the further portrayal of the nature of God to the mind of man.

1. THE INFINITY OF GOD
"Touching the Infinite, we cannot find him out. The divine footsteps are not known." "His understanding is infinite and his greatness is unsearchable." The blinding light of the Father's presence is such that to his lowly creatures he apparently "dwells in the thick darkness." Not only are his thoughts and plans unsearchable, but "he does great and marvelous things without number." "God is ...

"

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
My perspective comes from being a ten year atheist turned very spiritual being. I don't follow any religion but what flows through me.

One thing I've realized is that whatever you call him, God, Lord, Source, Creator, Infinite Creator, all he/she wants you to realize is that you have the same powers that he/she does within you. Also, you're meant to realize that you are and always have been a co-creator of Source. We are all the same. Everything is a reflection of you as the same applies to me. I'm not even talking to you right now, all your reading is something generated from yourself. I am you.

Everything is always in divine and perfect order. Therefore, there is no way we are an accident. Our specific race was engineered but we in the cosmic/multiverse sense are a creation.

This is all IMO of course since this will most likely be ripped to pieces. I will tell you one thing though, death is an illusion. Life is eternal.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
"God" is a symbol for the deepest unknowns we humans ponder from time to time... and being politically correct by calling "God" he/she is silly. If there is a God it would by definition have to be beyond the limitations of being one sex or even a sexual being.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by Straight Razor]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
God is everything. Good, evil... it's all just a mathematical cascade of light and sound which is conscious of and experiencing itself.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

You have a U2.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
God IMO is a construct of man to control simple men. It is rarely successfully implemented as an idea except by indoctrination from an early age or deep emotional distress later in life. The concept of God seems to make some people happy and guides their lives with several ideals and rules to achieve them. Almost all I know belive in some higher power whether through a formal religion or not. Personally I have seen no religion who by example of its followers I would aspire to join and anyway the construct is unreal and unnessesary to a well educated brain. Brought up a catholic and physically and sexually abused by hypocritical religious types who have their "sins" absolved on a weekly basis is admitedly not a good start to a religious life. Having all attempts to charge the offenders met by threats of violence to myself and my family clinched the deal for me. The Popes' recent apology is too little too late for decades of victims.
I live godless, I am kind to all I meet, have never been violent or abusive and in those times of distress we all go through I have my own internal strength to pull me through. Prayer to a nonexistant entity? I dont think so.

To those of you who know no better, god may help, but dont tell ANYONE youre an atheist, despite the professed sympathetic, forgiving nature of believers they are generally far removed in practicality and your business, life and or family will suffer. If there is a god, perfect in all ways he really stuffed up with religions, beware.
by
The Lost Sheep.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Straight Razor
"God" is a symbol for the deepest unknowns we humans ponder from time to time... and being politically correct by calling "God" he/she is silly. If there is a God it would by definition have to be beyond the limitations of being one sex or even a sexual being.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by Straight Razor]

"God" is within you providing all the answers you seek in addition to being the supreme entity that it is. There are no deep unknowns in this existence.

Saying he/she/it is semantical. Since "God" is everything in existence all at once, there is no improper way to semantically address him. If the intention is pure it's all the same. I was actually saying he/she to iterate the balance of the thought. "God" is every gender in existence just as "God" is every tree, every planet, every universe, etc.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
My definition of God, is no definition. However you try to define God, limits God to your definition.

Not only that, everybody has a different level of comprehension as to what exactly any definition can define anything.

You could read about a ripe delicious apple, see pictures of it, theoretically talk about it, but all these readings, pictures, and discussions are not the ripe apple.

Until one day when you get the apple and take your first bite. Then you know!!! But when you try to describe this to another....your description to them is just that, again to them its not the apple, but a description.

This is why there are issues, wars, judgement, arguments, and so on in religions. The people doing all this believe that the description of God, is God. Wrong!!!!!!

You just have to experience God first hand. There are no words in any earthly language that can give even a grain of sand of that true being that is God.

Whatever you read, Bible for example, is just a bunch of signposts pointing the way to your awakening to this experience and rebirth. Remember the signposts are not God.

Also, people are responsible for wars, not religions. Inherently there are sign posts there, you just have to shake off all the dogma, dross, fundamentalism, and read inbetween the lines.

DOnt listen to what unawakened people tell you. Somebody who knows and experiences God for 100% real...will treat you with non-judgement, compassion, Love, peace, patience, and wisdom.

On the other hand, the unawakened ones....because of Ego..will judge you, condemn you for different things, look down on you, force you, and so on.

These characters do in a way mean good, but they are still on the bottom or second rung of the totem pole and communicate through ego, not being. They too want that experience...but ego gets in the way of this.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
God gave me the capacity for hate.

It is a cruel game he plays.

Still, it is better to have known and lost that hatred than not knowing what hatred is at all.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
If you missed my point, i'm saying that God is cruel out of nessecity.

The same kind of cruelty you would show to a pet or a child if you didn't know how to get what you wanted through diplomacy or kindness.

It's as if it knows that we want nothing other than to be happy, and because of it we suffer for our selfishness.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by o22a6ar

We're neither an accident nor directly-engineered. We are the result of the mechanism of evolution steering our genetic makeup through progressive waves of animals suited to their environment. The most suited ones reproduce more, and pass their traits onto their kids (along with some mutations). And the story continues. I say "directly-engineered" because God might have set this whole equipment up. We don't know.

To me, God is the unknown quantity of the universe. I use the term the same way as many scientists do - to address the shortcomings in our understanding.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
My personal opinion is this.

God is everything the creator.

God is all around us from the smallest insect to the largest mammal.

From the smallest blade of grass to the tallest oak tree.

From day thru to night.

Both the good and the bad.

God is the sun's and the moon's and the planet's in every location of the universe.

God is carbon in the form of stardust.

Everything in creation is formed from stardust so now we go back to the start.

God is everything the creator.

If you want to see God just look out of your window.

If you want to hear him go to a quiet place and listen.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 2-6-2008 by h3akalee]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
God is everything and nothing. The alpha and the omega. the me and the you. there really isn't much more to it. God is within...

[edit on 6/2/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
G-O-D..............g-o-d

Alphabet?

I-m-a-g-i-n-a-t-i-o-n

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   
God is a scientist that split the atom our universe

I feel him most in the morning in the woods when the sun comes up and all the animals are running around and the trees a rustling

just that warm feeling and to take a line from King of the hill Jesus is love in the hair dryer

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by o22a6ar

I was just examining all the threads that I have created and came across this one. In the fourteen months since my creation of this thread, I have experienced more than most individuals will in the expanse of their lives. In this time, I have arrived at many conclusions and, for each one, numerous questions have arisen; they have served to eliminate any sense of understanding I thought I possessed in relation to the nature of life and the universe. In reference to god, I have developed ideas that escape the notion that god is an entity that operates independently from: humans and other life-forms; matter, its constituents, and those things comprised thereof. My definition of god is as follows:
God is you; You are god. God is the conglomeration of all consciousness and energy in the universe.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
My first post here, but it's a good topic to start with. To me God is INFINITE. God is a supernatural being that is not bound by time or space. God is everything.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
'God' is the term that the ancients used to refer to the 'ones that created us'

That race of beings did not origiate here on Earth, but from another planet.

Those beings displayed advanced technology ( medicine, astrology, science) and would travel back and forward from Heaven ( the galaxy or Planet Nibiru) and Earth.

They were always noted as 'coming thru the clouds, descending to earth, or ascending back to 'heaven'......Clearly interplanetary travel

If a 'god' decided to speak to an earthling, it was said that the earthling (human) was 'visited' ......if a being not of Earth 'visits Earth and talks to someone we now-a-days call that a 'close encounter'

To specify which one of these beings was considered 'god',then that would be the 'biologist' of that race of beings.

Now back on topic, if you mean what do I consider that 'spiritual connection' amongst mankind is, then that is simply nature...the fact that we all share the same origin.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The definition of God can go on for eternity but will point out the most important that he has revealed to man.

1. God is a spirit.

John 4:24
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

2. God is Love

1 John 4:7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

3. God is Light

1 John 1:5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.

4. God is Omnipotent

"O Sovereign Lord! You have made the heavens and earth by Your great power. Nothing is too hard for You!" (Jeremiah 32:17).

5. God is Omniscient

Psalm 147:4,5
He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names. Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.

6. God is Omnipresent

Psalm 139:8
If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

I Kings 8:27
But will God indeed dwell on the earth? behold, the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain thee; how much less this house that I have builded?

7. God is 3 in 1 (Trinity)

God the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit

Genesis 1:1 In the Beginning God (Elohim) which is "Plural"

Genesis 11: 5

7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."

Jesus spoke of his father. The father spoke to his disciples on the mount of transfiguration. and the holy spirit was upon Jesus and was sent by Jesus after his resurrection.

God is the creator of everything that is in existence. God is all knowing, all powerful, and everpresent. he is a spirit being. He is perfect, and righteous. he is the Alpha and Omega the beginning and the end. He created mankind in the beginning to be perfect. God gave man choice (free will) which God cannot violate because he has imposed this restriction on himself because he is a God of love. he wants people to choose to love him not forced to. Man chose to rebel against God and thus birthed sin into this world. Man gave all authority they had in this Earth over to Satan, he is now God of this world.

Man was unrighteous before the lord and had to make Atonement for their transgressions because God is the Judge of all. the Wages of sin is death man was sentanced to death for their sin. but "God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish but have everlasting life" God the Father sacrificed God the Son and laid all of mans sin on him quenching the judgement and wrath of God. Now all man has to do is believe in God, make a Choice. "I lay before you death and life choose you this day which is shall be. Death would be to reject God and live in sin which the punishment is Eternal death. or Life which be to accept God and live eternally. Now what will you choose? Life? or Death?

Keeper

new topics

top topics

join