It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6th Sense: Sensing new presence in a room

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I've always thought about this and I'm not quite sure if there is some noise that I don't consciously hear but I do hear it or if its just coincidence.

Many times when I am doing my own thing, I can feel when someone else enters the room. I'm not sure how to explain it or how to explain the feeling but I just feel it.

For example, today I was half sleeping in French class during a movie (which I wasn't supposed to be doing). Suddenly I got the feeling that someone was approaching me. So I lifted my head up and as it turns out a 2nd teacher had entered the room through the door connecting the two rooms to get stuff he had printed out.

The door was about 12 feet in front of me and I do not remember actually hearing a door open I just got sort of a sense in my head...I won't say a hum but thats the closest thing that I can describe it as. This happens a lot when I'm watching TV and family walks in the room, or if I'm doing something and my sister is sneaking around to spy on me or scare me.

Is this just my imagination or is there a documented ability such as this?

On a second note, does anyone else have the ability to tell if an electronic device is on without having to look at it? In my old house we had a 40" TV and 90% of the time I could tell when the TV was on (but wasn't showing any programs; it was on a different input where it is just a black screen with no sound) without even going downstairs. It was like a high frequency/high pitched buzz sound.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I can also hear my television when its not off but not on. Im sure its because of the television itself and not us. But I can relate to that, as for your experiance perhaps it was coincidence of maybe your senses are finely tuned.

[Edited on 1-3-2004 by thedarkprojekt]

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The "new presence" thing happens to me a LOT. I'll document it everytime.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Yes, the television sensing thing is fairly common, though indespuitably a gift. I can do it occasionally, it helps if you are calm and were outside before hand.
About the sensng people thing--I can do that too. I think it has something to tie into empathy....

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I think the television thing isn't a matter of a "gift", only youth. When you're younger, you are able to hear higher frequencies, such as the one that is given off by televisons as a sideline to their other activities. With age this "gift" will fade, along with your libido

I do get the sensing thing every so often. It's like a prescence on your entire body...very odd

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   
yeah I was listening to some music (Pantera to be exact) on a semi-loud volume, and I could sense my younger brother sneaking up on me into the room, so i turned around and said "whaddya want mofo?" he was taken by surprise... I got my entertainment for the minute.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I can do teh TV thing and the approach thing as well as tell when someone is outside my house. Dont ask me how the last one works, but I always know when I have someone coming up to my door. Maybe related to the approach thing.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I can do both rather well

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I do not believe that there is anything supernatural about it in the least.

The electronics thing: I have walked into electronic equipment stores and gotten instintanious migranes from the noise. It has something to do with the overlaping frequencies; the human mind has not evolved in a way that would alleviate the discomfort.

The presence thing: One's subconcious picks up on a lot more sensory data then we are aware of at the time. Footsteps, changes in air density, etc. It might have something to do with being a defence mechanism like an early warning system. Forget about being in the same room, I use to be able tell when my parents were driving home from about a mile away. It was not that I heard the car at a conscious level, but more like I 'just knew' which probably generates the 'spookiness' of it for people.

Now I am not saying that such connections at a distance are not possible, I completely believe that they are. However, when it happens 10 feet from you there are much easier explanations.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Yes, Jonna, you're right about it being a defense mechanism. I believe that psychic (and some empathic) abilities are hardwired into the survival instinct. What is picked up the easiest is focussed intent, which is why even those who claim very little skill in this area can sense the approach of others, people watching them, etc. It's true that there's nothing supernatural about it.

It's a good idea to keep track of such things. By examining what triggers the othersense(s) and other factors (mood, physical condition, etc.), one can then learn how to control and increase/decrease sensitivities as needed.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   
well, i guess maybe you can liken this sensing other things the way servers ping another to see how far apart they are or how good their connections are with each other.

every human being, like every life form, gives of a distinct quantum signature. This signature probably also applies to the subtle vibrations we all generate. We all give off unique resonances; it's sort of our adaptation to function in the 3rd dimension. Your brain, a vast sensory device, probably picks up on these vibrations and since it recognizes them it can identify them rapidly without any other sensory inputs.

because your brain manages and recieves the sensory data gleaned from the vibrations, it actively sends out waves of your thoughts which probably are absorbed and bounced back from those similarly-vibrating humans around you who are also giving off waves and resonances that your brain picks up on. this gives way to how mobs seem to function like a hive.

ergo, ping

pong!

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I have to say, it is surprising what the human ear can pick up. We recently installed one of those cat repellers in our garden. You know, the ones that make that really high pitched sound? Humans aren't meant to hear it. Unfortunately for me, I can. And let me tell you it drives me crazy. Possibly you can also hear these stupidly highpitched noises. It's nothing supernatural, just be pleased that your ears work well.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
What you could be feeling is an air pressure change.

Or, if the doors already open, a change in air flow.

I think too that auras can be sensed.
(Take a look at Kirlian Photography for some interesting information on this.)

I've experienced as well, if someone is watching you, whether across a large area with lots of people present or in the wide open spaces, most times you will sense it.

Somewhat along these same lines, if Sweetie and I are watching television in the evening if she leaves the room, I can turn the television volume down a couple of clicks and hear as well as before.
She is very quiet and doesn't talk much when we're watching the box so that's not a problem.

Conversely, if she comes back in I have to turn the volume up.

I attibute the volume level bit to the fact that if a body - anyone - comes into a room, it has a tendency to take some of the liveness out of the room and sound-wise it is a deader room.

One of the power stations I worked at had a 50' x 100' or so room with 12' ceiling that had nothing in it except for a folding industrial table and a few steel fold-up chairs.
No carpeting either.
Acoustic guitars sounded so good in there that I recorded a couple of the better players cranking out some of their original material.

We did play guitars now and then in the slightly larger main control room which was carpeted and they didn't sound as good as the big bare room.

Even so, when someone already in the building entered the main control room, you could always tell.
They would enter from the back, but virtually none of the operating personnel ever missed someone coming in.

Cupping your hands over your ears with the front or back of the ears exposed you to a higher level of ambient sound.
Useful in the great outdoors sometimes....

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
This happens to me everytime. I started a thread on it almost a year ago.

They said it's the CRT transformers inside TVs that emit this electromagnetic field that makes us feel like there's a new precense in the room.

I don't know if it's paranormal or not, but my little sister can't "sense" electronics like I do.

top topics

join