It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being one wit the alarm clock...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
How does one feel an alarm clock go off?

I mean, its there every day of (as I remeber) our lives.

So how does one feel it and turn it off without getting out of bed?

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I don't really understand what you mean, but "being one with the alarm clock" is something that interests me. I've always noticed that I am rarely awakened by an alarm or something else. I seem to wake up several minutes before the phone rings or there's a knock on the door. This also will happen with alarm clocks, no matter what I set it to, I'll be awake around 10 minutes prior to it going off. It's quite odd.

Now does that have anything to do with what you are talking about?

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I HATE alarm clocks.......

But sometimes it's necessary I guess.

I do get that wake up a minute before alarm goes off thing happen to me too. Weird. I think it has something to do with our subconcious mind telling us it's time to wake up.

I also wake up whenever someone is coming into my room, because my subconcious knows I want that.

[edit on 24-5-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ihavenoidea

Well usually I hear it and hit the off button, I don't get out of bed because its right next to my head hehe. Then I sometimes go back to sleep, depends.

I think I know what you mean though, when people turn it off seemingly in their sleep I think its important to remember that sleep isn't just on and off, its like a gradient between awake and asleep, I tend to turn it off while half asleep, I can also go to the bathroom like this, I have woken up stood at the door to the bathroom many a time, eyes stinging etc.

reply to post by MrAndy

Indeed, I have noticed this also, it might be our subconscious knowing something important is coming up I suppose, if I have a good nights sleep I tend to wake up 5 or less minutes before mine goes off, strangely when it then does go off I get sleepy again. One rule it follows for me is that unless its part of my routine I only wake up before my alarm if its something I want to do.

If I have to go into work at a different time to usual I wont wake up before the alarm, if I'm getting up early to go and see friends I will wake up before the alarm, of course only if I sleep well.

I find this very interesting, our body clock may play a role in this also, I don't know much about our body clock though.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I find that I am a very light sleeper. The slightest noise will wake me up. I believe its genetic.......a survival mechanism. Our ancestors had to be alert otherwise they were either eaten or murdered while they slept (a very vulnerable state). Its an instinct that has been passed down from generation to generation.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Okay okay,

When I mean to turn it on and off, I mean literally feeling it and turning it on and off without going to it?

Psi? Emathically? What?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Oh God, I have this too, ALL the time! I used to think maybe some electricity was already being sent prior to the alarm, but that doesn't make a lot of sense when it's turned off, does it? It's very weird and I'm very interested in this.

I've got it also during the day. I don't know how I do it, but I can always tell the exact hour (or pretty close).

How about putting the alarm at an hour you would normally never wake up on? Do you then experience it too?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I've not bothered with alarms in many a year now. I ALWAYS wake up before it goes off., regardless of the time it's set...........coincindence or design???

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by abstrusenumber1
I've not bothered with alarms in many a year now. I ALWAYS wake up before it goes off., regardless of the time it's set...........coincindence or design???

Exactly the same thing happens to me too. Whether it be 3,4,5,6,7,8 am

I've tried them all.

The most interesting thing is I always wake wake 2 mins BEFORE the alarm goes off i.e. if I set it at 6:34am I will wake up at 6:32. It happens every time!

To see if the body is learning patterns I set the alarm clock at different times every day. I still wake up 2-3 mins before it goes off.

Also, I set the alarm on my mobile and my watch in case the mobile fails to go off. The watch alarm is usually 5 mins before the mobile phone alarm. I always wake up before the watch alarm goes off.

I've noticed that if I conciously say to my self I want to wake up at a specific time before I go to sleep (and believe that I will) it always happens. Wierd I know.

I'm glad I'm not the only one and am in complete awe of the human body.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ihavenoidea
How does one feel an alarm clock go off?

This requires some sort of pre-programming of the person to get the 'feel' of when to wake up. For example, I image the face of the clock and then 'set' my system to wake up at the time as long as I get my, err, required beauty rest of at least 8 hours.

This would be the result of practice. Normally the alarm clock wouldn't move from its general location (ideally at the bedside table). And of course, the person would reach over and, well, smash the daylights of that inanimate object to silence its nerve wracking noise!

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I really hate alarm clocks too. Dreams tell things. Interruptions are just annoying.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Um... well... you don't remember. Pretty simple.

Not everything you do has to be stored in memory, and most of it isn't stored well, at least to the standards we would like. For those of you who have been drunk enough to forget things or events, it's pretty much the same thing. Your mind also has several biological clocks which are capable of remembering your sleep wake cycles to the point where you anticipate your alarm clock.

It's nothing psychic or supernatural, your brain just didn't hit the record button. You got up and turned it off.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I completely agree with Parabol on this case, while there may be some "paranormal" explanation, I think there are other rational explanation. Like Parabol said, you may have unconsciously turned off your alarm clock, and may have relied on the biological clock. And Jinni experience does hold relevances to Parabol's explanation. I would like to add that alarm clocks automatically turns itself off after a while, I know my cellphone alarm turns off after 30 seconds.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyways, I just want to get this off my back, and I know it has nothing to do with this thread:

I'm also the few people who is actually trying to break my dependency on alarm clocks, it does no good for anyone.

For me my problem has been that after a while, my mind has been able to subconsciously block the noise out of my mind, causing me to me to be late for classes or just disrupting my planned schedule.

To make matter worse even though my mind blocks the noises out, the mechanics in my ears still reacts to the sound of the alarm, so as a result, the prolong noises has cause my hearing to dwindle in quality.

Even five alarm clocks doesn't help me much, I barely get out of bed due with it. And I must say I feel terrible for my roommates, who aren't such heavy sleepers as I am. My solutions?

I'm just going to resort back to my good old natural alarm, and use my internal clock to my advantage, I guess I start doing that by improving my sleep habits. Or I might invest in a vibrating alarm watch...lol (Sorry just wanted this story off my back, and it feels good now that its off). Whatever it is, I'm trying to avoid loud and obnoxious noises, maybe then it would allow time for my hearings to improve on its own.

top topics

join