It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I Ride A Bicycle People Will Think I'm a Bum?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I have this little problem.

I want to buy a bicycle and get around, it will be good for me as far as exercise and getting around "free"....the problem is that bicycle riders here are all bag ladies and transients.

How do i let the world know i'm doing it because of the gas problem, and i do have a car, thankyouverymuch??

I'm not a snob, never have been, so dont get me wrong!!! It just so happens that up to now bicycle riders here=LOSER.

I'm serious!!!

So, how would i handle it, should i carry a Coach bag (:lol
have cell phone hanging from the handles, and have a sticker saying "I'm not a bum"?

Do any of you know some people immediatly classify you as a loser or someone whose liscense was taken away for being a LOSER when they see you on a bike?

I swear, its not just in my head. This is how bike riders are viewed in this town.

Any suggestions?

BTW, last year, they conveniently passed a law that mopeds and such vehicles could not be on the roads anymore.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I ride my bike frequently. I would ride 10 miles both ways to a job. Infact, it was an awesome way to start the day. I'd get to work revved up, and I would think so clearly.

Why do care what others think of you? Just think about how you are setting an example, and how much currency you are saving. in Minneapolis it's cool to ride a bike. Some people ride year round.

Perhaps you can get gear that let's people know you are a serious cyclist. Like a Camelbak . Those are extremely useful, and you always want to be hydrated. What bum could afford a $80-$100 back pack.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Get a nice, used bike and a great biking outfit!
If you feel too exposed, wear a windbreaker.
Don't forget your helmet and sunglasses.
Hope that helps.

I have seen some CRAZY outfits on some of these people. :shk:
A word of advice, don't ride in the middle of the road like you own it, please.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I used to love bike riding...don't worry about what other people may think (I know it's easier said than done) and get out there and ride!

btw- I doubt many 'bag ladies' ride a nice Trek with saddle bags. I feel terrible saying that because they are probably the ones that really deserve to ride a bike like that.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Yea,a good biking outfit should do it.

Like i said i normally dont care what people think but its just a thing here.

Now, in Boston, or New York, it would be normal- its these people here.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Leaders do not concern themselves with the nay-sayers

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
There is no need to advertise your status in life. It’s better to blend in with the crowd so as to not get mugged or robbed of your precious junk, err, stuff. Also, you shouldn’t have to worry what everyone else thinks. Just think of the new clothes you could buy after having lost weight.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Just get out and ride.
Hop on and go to work, pedal down to the shops, do your errands, HELL, do whatever you want on a bike.

Screw the people that think any different of you for using a bike.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Well, yes, screw them

because i AM getting a bike.

toot toot.

I just wish people werent so judgemental.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

a bike doesnt make someone a BUM
hence why more and more people are taking to using bikes.

faster in cities then cars and u get fit

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Don't worry about what other people think...to hell with them. Get a big cardboard sign to wear on your back that says "Pimp My Ride"

Go get that bike

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

No, they'll think you got a too many DWI's. :w:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I ride all the time and I see a lot of bikes around the hood.
Any short trip is always on my bike, plus the city buses now have bike racks if you wanna take it with you and ride after you get near where you're going.

No extra charge to take your bike on the bus.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Wear a skin tight Spandex Bike Suit and be sure you send me pictures...

DG, you could not possibly be seen as anything but CLASSY!!!!

Ride Girl!!!

Semper

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Get yourself a good sturdy ass:

You not only get something to trim your lawn and fertilize the garden, but you can saddle bag a lot of groceries on the beast when you go shopping.

See what the neighbours say when you start taking your ass to town.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
ha ha ha ha ha! Thanks, Semper, you're so kind!

I'm laughing about the ass. As you know i have a warped sense of humor, so i went to Craigs List covering Cape Cod and the Islands, and i posted under wanted: Looking for horse or donkey, able to haul husband 20 miles every day. I got manyreplies, but the funniest one was of an ass with fake teeth and a great big grin. Poster said: "He's kind of stupid, but he's a good sport"

I guess some thought it was funny. LOL

AD did you answer that add?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

AD did you answer that add?

Not me, honest.
I've never even been to that web site.

But I so agree with the rest. You ride your bike anywhere you want.
I ride my bike for short trips and never even considered that anyone would look down on me for being out and about on a bike.

High gas prices have actually been a boon for the bicycle shops, their business has never been better.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I expect that we will see many more bicycles and motorcycles on the roads as gas prices continue to rise to what I think will be above $10/gal and worse.

It doesn't mean you're a bum. It means that you are thinking ahead and getting into the right mindset and physical shape for what is coming.

I myself am looking into buying a bicycle. I'm going to spend around $1000 for exactly the bike I want and some useful accessories. Now, that sounds like a lot to spend just to save a few bucks at the gas pump. But see, I think eventually, gas will not only be too expensive for most Americans but unavailable or severely rationed. It’s not going to matter how good your gas mileage is if you are not permitted to buy any.

I look at a bicycle as a survival tool, not to be scrimped on. It may save my life someday by offering mobility when it’s needed as well as the obvious health benefits. Also, since I think the international supply chains that our consumer driven society rely on will collapse under prohibitive fuel prices and availabilty, I expect selection and variety to decrease. Buy it now or in the very near future. You may not be able to get it later.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
BTW, last year, they conveniently passed a law that mopeds and such vehicles could not be on the roads anymore.

What's that all about? That seems a little odd.

About looking like a bum I'd say just ride a nice clean and well maintained bike (one that is sooo desirable you will always have to take a half decent lock everywhere)

Other that that stuff what people think - I moved house on my motorcycle a couple of times now (not far, just changing student diggs) - the looks and jeers I got on the 6 or 7 trips with god knows what strapped / stuffed and balanced god knows where. Even saw the same two coppers at the same set of traffic lights who gave me the same :shk:

Just think about having great legs and ass - after all is that not the only reason not to use internal combustion??

[edit on 25/5/2008 by Now_Then]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
What Semper said...

Who cares what those pretentious idiots think? You go, girl. Ride, ride, ride. Personally? I'd think you were being fiscally wise, and saving yourself many, many dollars. Even on Cape Cod, that's wise.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join