It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I Ride A Bicycle People Will Think I'm a Bum?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

I don't see how anybody could think your a bag lady, if you ride a bike DG.
As long as you don't go out with matted hair and B.O. lol
oop's maybe I shouldn't have said that. People here might think I'm not sensitive towards the homeless. Believe me I am, but personal hygiene is a little difficult, if you don't have a home. Transients here don't even have a bike. You'd think our government would provide at least shower facilities for them. Too many politicians here pocketing the money.

I've been looking at 49 cc scooters. Something with a motor attached.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Ride like the wind sweetheart.

My training wheels will be coming off next week, I hope!!

My mental image of transients on the cape is a step up from the one's around here. Most of our street people sport shopping carts from the grocery store.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by whaaa]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
....the problem is that bicycle riders here are all bag ladies and transients.

How do i let the world know i'm doing it because of the gas problem, and i do have a car, thankyouverymuch??

Any suggestions?

I guarantee if you ride your bicycle in a fluorescent orange two piece bikini, they won't think you are a bag lady. Seriously though, where do you live so I can avoid that place?

I have been riding bike to work for a little while now because of the gas, and you will definitely get the rude ignorant treatment from some people, but don't let that stop you. Eventually everyone will come around. You aren't out to win friends, although its nice when you do. The gas prices will take care of themselves so far as people's feelings about them and they will either remain close-minded and stuck in their ways or start to find acceptance for alternatives.

Here is mostly the stuff I encounter:

A car load of teenagers will, once a week, scream loudly or blow their horn for no reason as they drive by to try and startle me.

Teenage drivers and cell phone users are the number one people who will give you little clearance when passing and not see you.

Commercial truck drivers seem to be the most carefully minded.

Ride a bicycle as if it were a car and follow all the rules of the road and cars tend to treat you like one.

Make use of the road vs. sidewalks as much as possible and you will tend to taken as a more serious cyclist rather than someone toodling around for fun.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I just wish people werent so judgemental.

...and you don't think you're being judgemental?

......the problem is that bicycle riders here are all bag ladies and transients.

.......I'm not a snob, never have been, so dont get me wrong!!! It just so happens that up to now bicycle riders here=LOSER.

I'm serious!!!

Just get on your bike and ride and stop being being so shallow.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Maybe people already think you're a bum.

Here, I'll make it easy for ya:

"Get a haircut ya lousy bum"

Now you can ride your bike in peace.

:w:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Koka

hi'm not shallow- i know where i live and i know lots of people here are SHALLOW.

I'm merely asking if others see bike riders as bums or transients or ALCOHOLICS WHO LOST THEIR LISCENCE.

You see?

I guess you have to be here.

Its really not the most important thing in my life, you know what i mean?

[edit on 25-5-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
heres the thing DG, I ride a bike, I have ridden one for a long time, I ride the bus when bus service is available. I have had cars in the past but still choose to ride a bike. why? because it's a heck of a lot cheeper to ride a bike than to use a car. Forget just gas mileage, what about upkeep insurance and all the other crud that goes along with owning a car?

Riding a bike isn't too bad. If you dress like you are not a bum then people will think that your a smart cookie. Least thats what I get. I get it all the time. "now this guy knows how to beat gas prices"

Believe me they tell me this a lot.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I know whatyou mean. I am going to get the bike and ride it proudly and i have a feeling that the snobs here( in the Cape) will follow suit soon enough.

I wish they still allowed scooters, though I love those! I rent one in Nantucket when i go and cover the whole island in less than half hour!!
Now they're not allowed there either

Now , i hope those training wheels can come off within a year or so.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Bums ride bikes because they can't afford cars, bums with bikes are classy bums, the upper echelon of the bum world so to speak.

Is walking considered a bum activity?
A bike is getting upwardly mobile in a sense!

Get a bike and ride with dignity!

Just don't tie your returnables in garbage bags all over the bike.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund

Just don't tie your returnables in garbage bags all over the bike.

Darn it, ok, i guess i'll have to send back the emptys with someone else.
That is the prototypical stereo type, isnt it???

I wish Mr Wupy would post here cause he knows the cape well and he knows about the drooling bikeriders in town.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join