It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All this nonsense about my genes being responsible...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker816
GENETICS DON'T HAVE # TO DO WITH ANYTHING BUT PERSONAL FEATURES, I AGREE I'M TIRED OF HEARING THAT BS ALSO DIS YOU HEAR HOW THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT THEY POSSIBLY WILL BE ABLE TO PICK OUT CRIMINALS BY THEIR GENES! THIS IS MADNESS! SAYING THAT BEING A CRIMINAL IS NOW IN YOUR GENES, WHAT THE HELL WILL THEY THINK OF NEXT? WHEN IS THIS MEDIA TAKE OVER OF AMERICA GOING TO END? HAS ANY ONE SEEN MTV LATELY THE SHOWS THEY HAVE ON ARE RIDICULUS! A GREAT EXAMPLE OF THE DUMBING DOWN OF AMERICA. YOU NEED ABSOLUTLY NO ACTING OR MUSICAL TALENT TO BE ON THAT CHANNEL. THIS WHOLE GENES CRAP IS EXACTLY THAT CRAP, i GUESS 65 PERCENT OF AMERICA HAS THIS OBESITY GENE PROBLEM, DO THEY HAVE A GENE FOR CROOKED POLITICANS!

A few weeks ago there was this thread on ATS saying that Bush has an agression gene or something like that.

In other words: He´s not responsible for his actions.

As for "you become criminal because of your genes"...that could lead to a society like in the movie "Gattaca" where you are pre-labelled as a child and if they determine you are "criminal" they can put you to prison instead of kindergarden.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by firegoggles
Actually this is all wrong. In very recent test we find that simply are belief system determines the outcome of what genes are activated. The opposite
of what science is telling us.

I know this to be true, but I dont dare tell it.

Your video links dont work btw.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Am I the only one who thinks that this topic is ridiculous?

I dont think the topic is ridiculous. I think its dangerous. Go pick up any given womens magazine and check out all the articles beginning with "science has found out..." and concluding with "you dont have a choice".

Yes, I can blame my genes if I develop diabetes.

Yes, I can blame my genes if I have a predisposition for alcoholism.

Yes, I can blame my genes if I develop breast cancer.

Yes I can blame my genes for being dyslexic.

Are you sure about these statements? My grandma had diabetes. After spending her entire life bitching about food.

And dyslexia....dyslexia...dyslexia...there are case studies that point to emotional/social issues being the cause, you know?

Other things, like mental disorders, aren't controllable by simple will and faith. Try telling someone who has severe depression that they should just think happy thoughts, or someone with schizophrenia that he can "concentrate real hard" and fix his neurochemical imbalances. Good luck with that.

Nobody is suggesting stuff like that in the extreme cases you are pointing out.

No need to use the most extreme cases (schizophrenia) as case examples.

We need to find out where exactly to draw the line between free will and genetics. Obviously we draw it at entirely different places.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Such a simplistic view of genetics and epigenetics...grab a book for God's sake!

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

No thanks. Im tired of the mumbo-jumbo masking as "science".

[edit on 25-5-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The genes ain't always what they seem
. And sometimes genetics can be pathetic.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by pak88]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Certainly the genes play a role, but it isn't just the genes by themselves that dictate who you are or what you do. It's rather easy to just give in to what feels comfortable/natural to a person. The genes are just used as an excuse for a person to continue the habits they're comfortable with. Their genes may have helped start them down that path, but it is they who willingly continue down that same path. Their genes may be an obstacle in their path if they decide to change their ways, but it's a rather small obstacle compared to the much larger obstacles of conformity & habit.

When you think a certain way or do certain things for so long, those things start to define you. they fill your life. Quitting a habit is like taking a piece of you away. And the reason some people may want to quit certain habits(like overeating) is because of conformity. Being fat often makes people unpopular. society looks negatively upon overweight people, and many people feel bad about being overweight, They want to lose weight, but it's hard to break the habit because the habit is a part of them. There is a reason they filled their life with food, and part of that reason is because they enjoy it. And there's nothing wrong with them enjoying it, they just think there's something wrong with doing it, and are looking for an excuse, a scape goat that they can point to so that they don't have to feel so bad about themselves. Genes fit that role perfectly. it takes away responsibility, and you're right, this happens all over, religion, science, economics, politics. There's very little accountability for anything from anyone these days.

No accountability, no hope for change. How can you hope to change if you won't even admit that you're part of the problem? Everyone needs to look in the mirror, and help themselves before they can learn how to help this world. realize that everyone is a part of the problems that this world faces, and a lot needs to be changed, a lot needs to be sacrificed before progress can be made. The sacrifice needs to start in the present if we hope to avoid catastrophe in the future. Don't put this burden onto the future's back. If you can't sacrifice today, if you can't make the changes today, what makes you believe the future will be able to do any better? The future will have it's own problems to deal with, it doesn't need to be saddled with problems we're capable of taking care of in the present. But, it seems to me that we're far less willing to pay the sacrifice in wealth or power than we are in bloodshed. So if you expect change, but this power structure stays in place, simply expect more of the same.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Conventional science is incomplete and at a loss for many explanations. One need look no further than the placebo effect in medical science, or the observer effect in quantum physics to know that something's up.

Flawed genetics are only a reflection, a confirmation that something is wrong. But it happens on a higher level, and can be changed on that level as well. The universe is fractal in nature. A seashell, a hurricane, a solar system, a galaxy... the same patterns repeat. If you change the pattern above, so should it change below.

I've healed myself of minor things. While I've heard of others healing themselves of bad hearts, cancer, disease... against the odds! Well screw the odds I say. Science has the idea of "the odds" wrong. They forgot to bring consciousness into the equation, or mistakenly assumed that it has no effect. Helloooo double slit experiment!

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Fixed the video link in my original reply to this thread on page 2(for me atleast). Please everyone watch them its incredible information!
I was looking forward to comments on this video for sure

Incase you missed it the links are

Part 1 video.google.com...

Part 2 video.google.com...

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
yeah most is probably BS..

they contaminate our water supply with pharmacueticals and whatnot...that is fact and i wish they would stop and just let us live our lives healthy and happy.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePiemaker

Habits indeed. Which is why before I tell aunt Martha that she´s depressed because of her genes I ask her if she wants to buy new jeans, cut down on flouride, get some sun, turn off the 8 oclock news, stop bitching about the neighbours and start something useful in her life.

An ex-girlfriend of mine used to be depressed. She then found a purpose...to go do volunteering work in Africa...and the depression that was supposedly caused by a "virus" or a "genetic dysfunction" dissappeared.

"Miraculously" dissappeared? No, just common sense.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Kruel

This "keeping consciousness out of the equation" is beginning to piss me off because its spread like wildfire to our schools, are newspapers, our expert journals, our internet.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by firegoggles

Thanks for the vids. Didnt watch them because I know Bruce Lipton, a scientist who does not leave consciousness out of the equation

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Sorry, but I'm afraid that "why aren't people in concentration camps fat" isn't really an arguement that supports the notion that genetics haven't a part to play in obesity.

Everyone in the camps has no access or very little access to food. Therefore regardless of whether you are genetically predisposed to become obese or not is irrelevant, you will starve, you're body will consume your fat and muscle to try to stay alive. People don't grow fat without food! Where did you ever get that from?!

The genes likely to influence the "onset of obesity" are likely to be concerned with something else such as the control of appetite or how their body deals with the elements in the food that might make them fat or store fat around their bodies. So its not actually an obesity gene.

I eat s**t and don't exercise (apart from brisk walks to and from work in the week) but I'm not fat (slight beer belly but still skinny). My bro-in-law is overweight and so is most of his family. They have BIG appetites.
But you can't actually blame people for having big appetites just because you don't. Appetite is probably genetic in much the same way as some people have food allergies. Different types of food may effect the triggers that say to your brain "you are full" differently. Meat might fill you up faster than vegetables (does for me). Perhaps some people have enlarged stomachs or their appetite suppression mechanisms are 'faulty' or require more food or certain types of food to be triggered.

People who become obese probably have a gene that would have saved their lives way-back-when there were regular famines (as it would have been an advantage to store more fat around the body). Now that you can buy any old rubbish day or night this advantage has become a curse.

There is very little real research regarding this issue. Decent research at least. The irony is that half the people sneering the "stop eating and exercise" mantra are unlikely to be practising what they preach either.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by redmotion
Sorry, but I'm afraid that "why aren't people in concentration camps fat" isn't really an arguement that supports the notion that genetics haven't a part to play in obesity.

Everyone in the camps has no access or very little access to food. Therefore regardless of whether you are genetically predisposed to become obese or not is irrelevant, you will starve, you're body will consume your fat and muscle to try to stay alive. People don't grow fat without food! Where did you ever get that from?!

Which only proves that food has the greatest part in obesity, not genes.

The genes likely to influence the "onset of obesity" are likely to be concerned with something else such as the control of appetite or how their body deals with the elements in the food that might make them fat or store fat around their bodies. So its not actually an obesity gene.

Thats an acceptable way to say it. Why dont I read it explained this way in the news-media?

I eat s**t and don't exercise (apart from brisk walks to and from work in the week) but I'm not fat (slight beer belly but still skinny). My bro-in-law is overweight and so is most of his family. They have BIG appetites.
But you can't actually blame people for having big appetites just because you don't. Appetite is probably genetic in much the same way as some people have food allergies. Different types of food may effect the triggers that say to your brain "you are full" differently. Meat might fill you up faster than vegetables (does for me). Perhaps some people have enlarged stomachs or their appetite suppression mechanisms are 'faulty' or require more food or certain types of food to be triggered.

You say appetite is genetic, I say its advertisement-brainwashing followed by mind-associations of something being desirable.

There is very little real research regarding this issue. Decent research at least. The irony is that half the people sneering the "stop eating and exercise" mantra are unlikely to be practising what they preach either.

Habituation. Exercise and proper eating is nothing but habit. Doing the opposite is also a habit, a tough one at that.

This can be demonstrated by anyone who wants to prove it to him/herself.

Tougher because it lies in the family? Maybe.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I sure wish we could get some real education so that we´d all have agreement on what is real.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

We all make our own reality. I have watched a mother and sister become crippled with bone decease and look to pharmacticals to ease their suffering. I honestly believe that those stiff finger joints in my mothers hands at a young age were from physical over use but she bought the diagnosis and the drugs. I was told that I carried the genetics that would also cripple me. I simply refused to believe and am healthy, active and free of arthritis.

I do not think all illness is in our heads but I do think that the increased marketing of fear, drugs, experts is increasing the numbers. I think we all share a gene...the slave gene and the corporate world has discoverd how to activate that gene.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

I can see the "remedy" to our "genetic ills" being offered soon in a pharmacy near us. And the system works as long as there are desperate people

Good for you for not buying into it.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

I dont think the topic is ridiculous. I think its dangerous. Go pick up any given womens magazine and check out all the articles beginning with "science has found out..." and concluding with "you dont have a choice".

Does it scare you that you don't have as much control as you thought? Or is does it scare you that everyone is different, and an approach that works for you won't work for someone else, and you're struggling to understand why?

Yes, I can blame my genes if I develop diabetes.

Yes, I can blame my genes if I have a predisposition for alcoholism.

Yes, I can blame my genes if I develop breast cancer.

Yes I can blame my genes for being dyslexic.

Are you sure about these statements? My grandma had diabetes. After spending her entire life bitching about food.

No idea what this is supposed to mean.

www.diabetes.org...
What leads to diabetes?

Type 1 and type 2 diabetes have different causes. Yet two factors are important in both. First, you must inherit a predisposition to the disease. Second, something in your environment must trigger diabetes.

Genes alone are not enough. One proof of this is identical twins. Identical twins have identical genes. Yet when one twin has type 1 diabetes, the other gets the disease at most only half the time. When one twin has type 2 diabetes, the other's risk is at most 3 in 4.

And dyslexia....dyslexia...dyslexia...there are case studies that point to emotional/social issues being the cause, you know?

I can almost laugh at the 'social issues' being the cause of a neurological deficiency resulting in dyslexia.
en.wikipedia.org...

Usually, when dealing with matters of physical chemical and neurological structure and formation within the body you're dealing with genetics. Whether it's the way someone's body reacts to grass pollen or the way someone's brain processes the color blue. And no matter how hard you will it to happen, or how much you believe it will happen, someone with big ears aren't going to get them to shrink on their own.

Re: Mental Disorders

Nobody is suggesting stuff like that in the extreme cases you are pointing out.

No need to use the most extreme cases (schizophrenia) as case examples.

We need to find out where exactly to draw the line between free will and genetics. Obviously we draw it at entirely different places.

I don't think anyone would suggest that someone who's been a little sad would be genetically so. However, depression is real, and often inherited.

And the rest of it. Yes, people have genetic predispositions for a lot of things, and all that means is that one must be more aware of their own body and take responsibility as such. If I know that I'm susceptible to diabetes then I need to take care of myself physically to prevent it, or take proper care if I already have it.

If I know that my mother died of breast cancer, I should go to the doctor's regularly for checkups, and catch it early so that it can be treated properly. I can't 'meditate' or 'positive think' my way out of it.

If my family has a history of alcoholism, I might have a genetic predisposition for it. What does that mean? It means I don't drink.

It means taking more responsibility for yourself than ever. It means knowing your body and knowing what's best for it. It's not making excuses for yourself.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

There is a pill for everything. Here is one of my favorites.www.naafa.org...

So what is wrong with being heavier than the next guy? Well if your a woman and reading womens magazines it matters. Corporations are masters at subtley telling us we are short of perfect then market a cure to us. Unfortunatley we Americans have come to not like ourselves, and there is someone around every corner..for a price of course to fix us. Most humans are slaves making the marketers rich beyond beleif.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join