It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All this nonsense about my genes being responsible...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ezziboo
Sky: re your last post: I AGREED with you and added a bit of science to it...am I right in thinking that what I wrote went right over your head?

You initiated a thread, ended up out of your depth, posted a one-liner (are moderators exempt from the rule?) and then you promptly vanished.

Please tell me what it takes to become an ATS forum moderator (besides the ability to type).

I'm off to have a cigarette...

Hi there. Sorry that your voice of reason got drowned out.

I understand the idea that genes indicate a disposition to something and I understand that genetic research will help us solve a number of problems.

My main critisism goes towards what mass-media and people make of it.

Im never happy when people can find a reason why something cant be changed.

So instead of saying "Its genetic and cant be changed" what about "Since its genetic maybe they´ll find a way to change it"?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313

"Your world is hideously dangerous!!!": i.e. All the alarmist headlines day and night. "Do you have the Cancer gene??? If you do your %65 more likely to die of prostate or breast cancer!!! Film at 11!!" Every day products in your house that can KILL you...film at 11!!" "The 5 things you are doing that are shortening your life!!!" "Your child's car seat can kill them!" "The plastic containers you put your leftovers in can kill you! Film at 11!!" This is endless and specifically playing on the publics' fears just to garner ratings.

As funny as it looks when reading it, fear-programming and victim-mentality peppered by PC propaganda are in full swing.

You can see the very real effects of this when walking around outside...lots of empty, apathetic eyes, lots of slumped shoulders.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy

Genes and the environment play a gigantic role in human development. Yes, I understand if they want to blame everything on the genes. No, it's not nonsense, but it doesn't mean I will let people get away for doing criminal activities.

I dont know how big of a role they play. My intuition tells me the role is existent but overblown.

When this kid gets beaten by his father throughout all of his childhood and then later becomes a criminal, I see other factors responsible. But this PC therapist will sit there and say "Its the genes".

And it's definitely not healthy for their own spiritual evolution if they kept blaming it on the genes. It makes their 'free will' (soul) weak, under empowered.

My paranoid-self says that its all designed to weaken the soul and the ability of the soul to change stuff.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I think genes can give us a predisposition towards some things and I do think they contribute to personality traits. This does not mean you have no choices! It just means you have a predisposition towards certain behaviors, diseases, etc.

Being an alcoholic is definitely inheritable. Children of parents who are both alcoholic have an 80% chance of being alcholic themselves. Often, these kids don't drink because they saw what happened to their parents, but once they start, they can easily become alcoholics. There really IS a genetic component here. Alcoholics bodies don't process alcohol normally, their system handles it differently.

I became convinced of the idea that genes play an important role, when I met my birth family when I was 36. I had been adopted by non-family, and they were much different from my birth family. I never fit into my adopted family, but when I met my birth family, we had so much in common personality-wise, and in alot of other ways, we are very similar to each other. My dad and I had the exact same personality, philosophy of life and even voted the same; but I had never been around him as a child. We had the same sense of humor and outlook on life as well.

But to say that we can't change something due to our genetic makeup is a cop-out, I think. We DO have choices, but we also have predispositions to things as well, we just have to work harder than most to change some things. As for diseases, that is still preventable for many people if they change their lifestyle. I know I have a history of bad hearts and high blood pressure in my family, so I have to make sure I eat right, watch my blood pressure and get plenty of exercise.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
All you free-will, self-responsibility, soul-huggers make me sick.

It's obvious genes are responsible for the world's ills.

Take me for instance. I have the 'sarcastic' gene. It's not my fault. Do any of you realize how difficult it is just to get through a normal day without sarcasm? Of course not, unless you have the gene too. Put yourselves in my shoes for a minute and imagine trying to sit through a manager meeting. Or standing in line at the DMV. Or watching a presidential debate. Normal people take these things for granted but it's nearly impossible for someone with my affliction.

So step off your soap-box and have some sympathy for those of us struggling to overcome our genetic makeup.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by endrun

Yes agreed.

Not everyone can become a basketball-star or a president. Its "in the genes", or if you have a spiritual disposition like me then its "pre-ordained by the soul".

My concern is with all the "proven scientific facts" saying we have no choice at all.

Like another poster said, first we had religion telling us "you have no free will, its all ordained by God" and then we had science telling us "its all pre-ordained by evolution".

It seems that us free-choicers have been underpresented throughout history.

And its a crying shame that people use this science as a cop-out.

I hope this discussion gets some people to be skeptical the next time they read a news-media story about your actions not being your choice.

As far as common sense can tell the only things that are not a choice are family traits, race, body-functions.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by General Izer

Its ok that you choose to think so.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by General Izer

Its ok that you choose to think so.

Acute Sarcasm Syndrome (A.S.S.) is nothing to laugh at. People from all walks of life have A.S.S.. If you think kicking the smoking habit is difficult, it's much harder to kick A.S.S..

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I still haven't seen the report on the gene that makes us decide to do stupid things. Where is the gene that says i am going to "start smoking"....the gene that kicks in when you are at the drive through..." you know what, upsize it for me, and i'll have a caramel sundae". We don't listen when medical science says that if i smoke i'll get addicted to it and i'll become unhealthy and increase the risk of getting seriously ill. And nutritionist tell us that my daily intake of food reqiures i eat X amount of calories and if i exceed that wthout increasing my activity i will put on weight and that will lead to adverse side effects. Yet when science comes up with an excuse for that behaviour, wow, thats it. Next they'll be telling us we are predisposed to certain religions and atlternative views and are ultimately unable to make spiritual and moral dicision on our own either.

p.s. Is there an ATS gene.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I am not sure that this is some part of wicked plan. Media needs ratings, so it plays on emotional level. People will pay more attention to "coffee bad/good/awful/healthy/wrong/excellent" type of articles then to boring scientific statistical study. So this is what media feeds them. And if boss knows a friend of certain coffee maker who has too much unsold coffee in warehouses - it is just the old corruption thingy. I do not think that there is a mastermind making people dumber and feeding them with lies on purpose. People are getting dumber because the need to think and analyze is no longer needed by general public. Technological progress. Social development. We all want it and the results are not only better TV sets and social benefits - less environmental pressure means also that less brain usage/power are needed.
My belief that the situation is "natural" development - people were thirsty for this kind of "information" from the start of recorded history.
If you dance long enough on the day flower X blooms - year will be better.
If you drink enough coffee you will be healthier.
If you have a gene responsible for keeping you thin - you will live longer.
OR:
Black cat - you are doomed.
Drink a lot coffee- you are doomed.
Have obesity gene - you are doomed.
As for genes - they are important. They are blueprints of body. But just as with real blueprints the end product is not always what the "designer" had in mind. Engine which is supplied in reality has worse characteristics. No aluminum is available so body is built from wood. And so on and on.
So environment plays an equal role. All these researches say is that if you take a thousand people with "wrong" copy of gene x - y of them will have problems. And if you take thousand people with "wright" copy of x,this y will be much lower.
And there are gene problems in which this y is close to 100%.And environmental factors for all their importance are helpless in those cases. So genes are important. Edit : line out of place.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
GENETICS DON'T HAVE # TO DO WITH ANYTHING BUT PERSONAL FEATURES, I AGREE I'M TIRED OF HEARING THAT BS ALSO DIS YOU HEAR HOW THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT THEY POSSIBLY WILL BE ABLE TO PICK OUT CRIMINALS BY THEIR GENES! THIS IS MADNESS! SAYING THAT BEING A CRIMINAL IS NOW IN YOUR GENES, WHAT THE HELL WILL THEY THINK OF NEXT? WHEN IS THIS MEDIA TAKE OVER OF AMERICA GOING TO END? HAS ANY ONE SEEN MTV LATELY THE SHOWS THEY HAVE ON ARE RIDICULUS! A GREAT EXAMPLE OF THE DUMBING DOWN OF AMERICA. YOU NEED ABSOLUTLY NO ACTING OR MUSICAL TALENT TO BE ON THAT CHANNEL. THIS WHOLE GENES CRAP IS EXACTLY THAT CRAP, i GUESS 65 PERCENT OF AMERICA HAS THIS OBESITY GENE PROBLEM, DO THEY HAVE A GENE FOR CROOKED POLITICANS!

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

THE GENE FOR PEOPLE DOING STUPID THINGS. I THINK THATS THE DARWIN GENE LOL DARWIN AWARDS BABY

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker816
GENETICS DON'T HAVE # TO DO WITH ANYTHING BUT PERSONAL FEATURES, I AGREE I'M TIRED OF HEARING THAT BS ALSO DIS YOU HEAR HOW THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT THEY POSSIBLY WILL BE ABLE TO PICK OUT CRIMINALS BY THEIR GENES! THIS IS MADNESS! SAYING THAT BEING A CRIMINAL IS NOW IN YOUR GENES, WHAT THE HELL WILL THEY THINK OF NEXT? WHEN IS THIS MEDIA TAKE OVER OF AMERICA GOING TO END? HAS ANY ONE SEEN MTV LATELY THE SHOWS THEY HAVE ON ARE RIDICULUS! A GREAT EXAMPLE OF THE DUMBING DOWN OF AMERICA. YOU NEED ABSOLUTLY NO ACTING OR MUSICAL TALENT TO BE ON THAT CHANNEL. THIS WHOLE GENES CRAP IS EXACTLY THAT CRAP, i GUESS 65 PERCENT OF AMERICA HAS THIS OBESITY GENE PROBLEM, DO THEY HAVE A GENE FOR CROOKED POLITICANS!

I think you may have a genetic CAPS problem truthseeker. Perhaps you capslock gene is recessive, does any of your family type in caps only, perhaps it skips generations.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I personaly have the dreaded "Beer" gene. If any container of that golden liquid is within arms length I must, without fail, try to find the opener so I can investigate the true nature of my singular pursuit of hops and barley.
There is no pill known to me that can help me. I am a prisoner of this predisposition.

Zindo

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Actually this is all wrong. In very recent test we find that simply are belief system determines the outcome of what genes are activated. The opposite
of what science is telling us. The tests show that when the human actually believes he has a certain condition it , then certain genetic functions take place literally creating the gene for in some cases the thing they fear most. Just like the flight or fight built in each one of us, we only have those 2 modes , either we operate out of fear or we don't.When you operate out of fear your body begins to die or you get sick. And it is your genes reacting to what your brain believes. The stuff about are genes determine our health is a lie. There is a video all about this that is more than convincing about this truth. I will try and find it again and post it.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Here is that video please be patient he don't get into the "good stuff" for a while in this video, but its great this video literally changed my life and way of thinking to another new level. And it to

video.google.com...

Part 2

video.google.com...

Enjoy!

[edit on 25-5-2008 by firegoggles]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Am I the only one who thinks that this topic is ridiculous?

Yes, I can blame my genes if I develop diabetes. No, I can't blame them if I lose a foot because I still continue to eat cake and frosting.

Yes, I can blame my genes if I have a predisposition for alcoholism. No, I can't blame them if I lose a liver because I drink too much.

Yes, I can blame my genes if I develop breast cancer. No I can't blame them if I find out that I'm dying of breast cancer after not being checked in 10 years.

Yes I can blame my genes for being dyslexic. No, I can't blame them if I use dyslexia as an excuse for not working harder to learn.

Genetics is a major player in who someone turns out to be, but only in that it may make some things easier for you to do, and some things harder.

Other things, like mental disorders, aren't controllable by simple will and faith. Try telling someone who has severe depression that they should just think happy thoughts, or someone with schizophrenia that he can "concentrate real hard" and fix his neurochemical imbalances. Good luck with that.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by firegoggles

And who made those tests, i wonder. Since all modern medicine is based on "false" knowledge that genes cannot be changed (without external interference) - just their expression, guys who made this experiment deserve Nobel prize. At least.
Does this research state that same person during his lifetime have different genetic information in his cells? 9000 Nobel prizes.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlasastro
I still haven't seen the report on the gene that makes us decide to do stupid things. Where is the gene that says i am going to "start smoking"....the gene that kicks in when you are at the drive through..." you know what, upsize it for me, and i'll have a caramel sundae". We don't listen when medical science says that if i smoke i'll get addicted to it and i'll become unhealthy and increase the risk of getting seriously ill. And nutritionist tell us that my daily intake of food reqiures i eat X amount of calories and if i exceed that wthout increasing my activity i will put on weight and that will lead to adverse side effects. Yet when science comes up with an excuse for that behaviour, wow, thats it. Next they'll be telling us we are predisposed to certain religions and atlternative views and are ultimately unable to make spiritual and moral dicision on our own either.

Good point about people disregarding scientific studies that imply self-responsibility.

In a world desperately looking for an explanation why they feel so lousy I guess they´ll grab on to anything.

However, when I have to look at a child getting murdered on the 8 o`clock news, I dont think its my genes making me feel sick, but the shooting.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
If you dance long enough on the day flower X blooms - year will be better.
If you drink enough coffee you will be healthier.
If you have a gene responsible for keeping you thin - you will live longer.
OR:
Black cat - you are doomed.
Drink a lot coffee- you are doomed.
Have obesity gene - you are doomed.

A bit like astrology isnt it? I never understood astrology either. And when I go to the wikipedia page on genes I dont understand a single word they are saying.

So Im I critisising it because Im too stupid to understand it? Maybe, maybe not.

As for genes - they are important. They are blueprints of body. But just as with real blueprints the end product is not always what the "designer" had in mind. Engine which is supplied in reality has worse characteristics. No aluminum is available so body is built from wood. And so on and on.
So environment plays an equal role. All these researches say is that if you take a thousand people with "wrong" copy of gene x - y of them will have problems. And if you take thousand people with "wright" copy of x,this y will be much lower.
And there are gene problems in which this y is close to 100%.And environmental factors for all their importance are helpless in those cases. So genes are important.

That I understand.

And which factor is even more determining than genes?

Answer: Upbringing and Environment.

And which factor is even more determining than environment?

Answer: Attitude and Belief, imo.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join