It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do other star systems need protection from Earth life?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Do other star systems need protection from Earth life?

space.newscientist.com

The technology needed to send a robotic probe to another solar system is far in the future at best. But one scientist says it's not too soon to start thinking about how to avoid contaminating extrasolar planets with hitchhiking microbes from Earth.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I think here is a point!! what debunker's think about it who post same ans ctrl+c thn ctrl+v

space.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by 123space

Simply YES.Earth is dangerous with decease,Humans Stand UP(did that move? yes, shoot it,roger that, Bamm bamm.

EDIT: I have to ad:
And interstellar missions *may even be easier to sterilise than interplanetary ones. The extra travel time provides more exposure to space radiation, which gradually kills off stowaways.

* see the "I guess this will work maybe" what a bunch off Clowns to even try!

[edit on 24/5/08 by Zelong]

[edit on 24/5/08 by Zelong]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
What difference does it make? With all the problems on this planet right now what difference does space exploration in the future make? None !!!
Too many people with their heads in the clouds looking for aliens or rogue planets to come and either wipe us out or save us. Why don't you people take some of that energy and spend it trying to save ourselves?

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
This could be a serious issue, The presence of even a single microscopic organism on board a probe that happened upon another planet supporting life could have catastrophic consequences in an ecosystem that is not ready to defend itself from such a bacteria or virus.

Even the common cold as highly adaptable as the rhino virus is could wipe out an entire species that does not have the proper antibody and immunities to it.

I don't know about space radiation being an effective sterilizing agent as I had once read a report about microbes that hitchhiked here on board a stone thought to have come from mars.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
now thats a tricky one, do we send our heat resistant probe, near a star to burn off any travelers. or build them entirely on the moon? with astroid metal.

thats a feat. in any reguards.....

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
If Earth bacterias land on another planet which has life, and somehow will be able to survive, local life which will be more adapted to conditions will without any doubt outperform and out-compete the "foreigners". And since it is logical to assume that microbiology of these alien organisms will be vastly different from "ours" , the threat to local ecosystem will be non-existent.
On the other hand on non-inhabited planet those bacterias (IF they will be able to survive) might actually start terraforming for us.
Viruses will be unable to survive in any occasion - they need familiar host.
So i see no damage, only benefits.
Edit- grammar.

[edit on 24-5-2008 by ZeroKnowledge]

new topics

top topics

join