It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could people from the future be among us?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by blobby
Now for people that say no way impossible, explain then why black holes distort time cause you are saying no way then black holes should not be doing that then, black holes virtually prove its possible but we dont kno whow to implement it yet and YET is the word cause in Future they will.

Black holes distort time to the observer of the black hole due to the strong gravitational pull of the black hole.

"An Astronaut who ventured too close to a black hole would pass into a region from which there is no return and from where no light signals can be transmitted to the external world; it is as though space itself were being sucked inward faster than light moves through it. An external observer would never witness the falling astronaut's final fate: any clock would appear to run slower and slower as it fell inward, into the hole, so the astronaut would appear impaled at a horizon, frozen in time"

www.firstscience.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   
There is one chain of thought
that souls choose which body to abide in,

assuming souls are immortal, therefore existing
in all time lines for all times...

isn't it possible a soul, knowing of future designs and
how probable events unfold,
to enter this timeline/worldline
and be remarked as a 'seer' or 'prophet'
or even a 'future throwback' ??

[an elegant time-traveler scenario...or not??]

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   
i m not worry about the machines if they ever created.
what i m really worried about is the thing of the past ,
which is ancient time travelling device may be somesort like the story of AVALON in england just maybe and some elite peoples control this kind of device and that very dangerous to certain peoples of cos

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
If time travel is ever going to be possible, I'd have to say yes they are observing. Since many theorys seem to indicate that time does not exist everywhere and if any of them are true, I would say it is possible to enter our dimension at any place in time. I think it's more likely that they would use some sort of "probe" to travel back & record or view the past rather than physically being there.

It's a cool subject to think about, but not knowing how the universe works makes it's all speculation. Then again I still believe if we can think of it we can make it happen.

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by outsider]

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
If it's possible and it may be found to be possible 1,000 or one million years from now, then I would say yes, there be time travelers. Just think of the problems though if they accidently stepped on some algae several million or billion years ago and squashed all life on Earth.

On a funny note, imagine a clumsy time traveller dropped a metal spring by accident. It fell into some mud. After a million years the mud became rock and was discovered. The individual would discover a rock with a metal spring over a million years old. Everyone suddenly says "look, proof that aliens have visited us"

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
All of the replys I've read make sense!! Like its possible but immposible at the same time!!! Its just a shame that Yr2004 humans are incapable of increasing their brain capacity to the volume needed to transport your mind across time then it would be so much easier to enlighten you. If you want to know what the future really holds just ask and I'll tell you.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I'm from 5 minutes in the future.

Let me tell you, it's not so great over here either!

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
See the problem is most people may think there is not a future since we have not created it. But it depends if a time traveller is from a different dimension of the universe. And with a black hole a big question is.. ya you can get sucked in... but where does that go to? It just can't go into nothing. when they say the gravitational pull is so strong not even light can escape.. well where would that light be coming from?

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I think it more than possible, in a way.

It is really dependent on the nature of time. If time is fixed and everything that occurs just dissapears and ceases to exist (langoliers), then there is a problem with backward time travel, because there is no past. This seems to me hard to believe.

I think that reality consists of a 'pool' of possiblities that is somewhat behind us, or interdimentionally with us. The experiences we have of past present and future lie in this 'pool' of possibilty.

Now since the past, present, and future are always becoming each other and are thus undefinable, one wonders, where does the 'pool' exist?

I think it exists in the human mind. And because it exists in our mind, I think it possible to travel anywhere in 'time'. I forget how much of our brains we actually use, but tapping into the full potential of the human mind could posit some very interesting potentials, time travel one of them.

This is all predicated on my belief that we are living in the infinite, and on an infinite scale, there is no past, present or future. Where you came from is where you are going ad infinitum. It like is a circle (pi).

As for the grandfather clause in time travel, I think the parallel universe theory is one such explanation. Though I think that would be more like dimension travel. And in this case we would be living in one of many multi-verses.

It's funny and ironic to me that we have spent trillions of dollars on space exploration, when the human MIND is truly the great unknown.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
It could be possible, but I currently don't believe it. There is John Titor, which I don't believe in, also there was another guy that I read about on Yahoo! news that claimed to be from the future, he was arrested for insider trading or something.

I remember about hearing about that guy. He could not be tracked from anywhere. Do you remember what his name is?

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zzub
Personally, I only believe it's possible to slow down time, not to travel backwards through it.

same here... and i think the only way to do that would be to orbit as close to the schratzchild radius of a black hole without going any closer... time would prcatically cease for the person, while outside it would whiz by to infinity... of course, the gravity would most likely kill you.

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
Surely if time travel was possible then we would have been visited by people from the future by now. Possibly this could explain UFO's and abduction. Possibly who we percieve to be aliens are technologically advanced and evolved humans coming back to do some history lessons.

But the question is, how would you know if a person has come from the future? How do you know that somebody hasn't already come back from the future?

This titor guy slipped up in many ways..many many ways. There is a great blogger from a guy that found just a few of them: www.livejournal.com... I could go on forever with titor..

[Edited on 7-3-2004 by SwampFox]

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DjNothing

Originally posted by IKnowNothing
I'm not sure, but wasn't the philadelphis project proven to be the figment of a writers imagination? But any how, off subject, I'm not one to believe that it is possible to travel back in time, if it were true, I would have visited myself many times to stop myself from doing dumb things. And that hasn't happened.

Yeah, but think about this:
Lets say you want to go back in time so you can prevent yourself from doing something stupid. Lets say for the sake of example, you want to prevent yourself from getting in a fight you shouldnt have.
So you go back in time, and prevent it. Now, you have the paradox that you would have no reason to go back in time to prevent anything. Or at least your reasons for wanting to would have to change because the occurance never happened. But then if you never travelled back in time, then you didnt prevent it either..........ugh.....

Headache, headache.............

For a trip back in time to stop yourself from doing something to work you would also have to instruct your past self to go back to the exact same time from the same time you came from one he gets there and give his past self the same message you gave your own past self.

Here's an interesting idea, just imagine the kind of chain letter that it could create.

"This message was originaly sent from you 20 years in the future to your present self that in turn sent it to his past self 20 years later. Congratulations! You are the millionth recipient of this 20 million year old chain letter! Failling to give this message to your present self 20 years from now will result in a time paradox! That's bad luck and you will loose all your friends, your job and die a horrible death! If you do send this message to your present self in 20 years, your crush will call you in 15 minutes and say they love you!(I should know, I'm you from the future!). Anyway the message is: "[Insert something you would like changed from your past here]" Now be sure to pass on the message!!!!

Anyway, my personnal opinion is that time travel could be dangerous if you go back in time, the slightest change in the timeline could have great consequences, good or bad on overall history but you would risk never being born if you go back past your own begining.

Just knowing your own future can be good or bad, it depends if you use your knowledge of the future to right wrongs or if you use it for evil purposes.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DjNothing

Originally posted by IKnowNothing
I'm not sure, but wasn't the philadelphis project proven to be the figment of a writers imagination? But any how, off subject, I'm not one to believe that it is possible to travel back in time, if it were true, I would have visited myself many times to stop myself from doing dumb things. And that hasn't happened.

Yeah, but think about this:
Lets say you want to go back in time so you can prevent yourself from doing something stupid. Lets say for the sake of example, you want to prevent yourself from getting in a fight you shouldnt have.
So you go back in time, and prevent it. Now, you have the paradox that you would have no reason to go back in time to prevent anything. Or at least your reasons for wanting to would have to change because the occurance never happened. But then if you never travelled back in time, then you didnt prevent it either..........ugh.....

Headache, headache.............

Yea, but then you would have never had a reason and you should majically jump back to the future, because you would have never traveled back in time. History along with the future would have changed. But could have caused a complete change for others at the same time.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   
i think somebody already said something along these lines but anyway....

have any of you seen the movie The Time Machine,based on a book by HG Wells.the guy wants to go back in time to save his fianc� and..well does.but every time he does go back he watches her die another way.in fact he says "I could go back a million times and see her die a million different ways." but anyway I agree with this.if you go back in time to prevent something then logically,in the future you created,there would be no need to go back in time so nobody would.which then means whatever happened would happen.which then means that,in order to stop a time loop (nobody wants that) whatever you were trying to stop must happen anyway.

oba

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I'm going to mention that idea here --->

www.abovetopsecret.com...
in terms of a wider subject that also involves cosmology and probable futures.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Maybe black holes spit out there matter in another Universe where the Laws of Physics are different. In stead of having black holes there are white holes. Hey and even maybe...Black Holes suck up matter and all of the matter that Black Holes suck up to to the same place. Once that place has to much matter in it you get the big bang. There could be a few different Universes out there. This stuff is just insanley paradoxal but none the less the best things to discuss and debate on.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Omega Pickle
Maybe black holes spit out there matter in another Universe where the Laws of Physics are different. In stead of having black holes there are white holes. Hey and even maybe...Black Holes suck up matter and all of the matter that Black Holes suck up to to the same place. Once that place has to much matter in it you get the big bang. There could be a few different Universes out there. This stuff is just insanley paradoxal but none the less the best things to discuss and debate on.

I thought a black hole was just an inverted star that became unstable and nothing could excape the gravity, not even light. Then what you have is gravitational force so large that it compresses it even more than you could imagine. Picture pure, 100% pure iron, straight atoms making it up, no air or anything, it would be incredibly smaller than a normal piece of iron we have. Do you see what I am getting at, it wouldn't cause a tear in space, its just everything that gets pulled into it gets crushes, then once it gets to unstable or full shall we say it should then act like a supernova. I don't think the blackhole sucks it anywhere, its not a path, its just an odd name for a inverted star. Ask Stephen Hawking on these sites.

www.hawking.org.uk...

www.pbs.org...

[Edited on 14-3-2004 by valnrick]

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Have to say I concur with valnrick on that one. A black hole isnt actually a 'hole', per se, only a point in space, inescapable past the surrounding event horizon.

However, matter (theoretically) does approach near light speeds when getting sucked in, so there is no telling for sure what may happen to it exactly. Especially as far as time distortion goes.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I saw a show on TV where they were playing music through a medium of some description and it was (according to the scientists) arriving, somewhat broken up, before it should have done.

I cannot remember which show it was on. I remember seeing 2 waveforms of the sound coming through, the first being the one that was "early".

I'm pretty sure that this was related to time travel as opposed to increasing the speed of sound(?). I'm pretty sure they said that the music was arriving before it was sent... but that leaves various paradoxes of once you hear the music you could decide not to start it? And when you turn the music off will it have already played stuff that you've not played? Or will it stop playing because you've turned it off in the future (and you then decide to keep it playing)?!?

Maybe this show was broadcast on 1st April and I didn't notice :-)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join