It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion At Shopping Centre, bomber injured

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Firstly, my respects to you guys in the UK. Times have changed, and not for the better yet.

More on the subject.. Maybe its just because I'm not a big fan of fear mongering, but I've got this inexplicable gut feeling that an so called 'idiot' - or more politically correct: a person with a mental illness - cannot appreciate the finer aspects of demographical analyses, when it comes to choosing a city; nor do I suspect that he received his commands from a real terrorist cell. They might send an idiot in to do the job, but probably with an actual bomb, attached to his body..

Of course, I can't be sure of this. But among all of the mentally ill in the UK (maybe he was one of the half a million persons suffering from schizophrenia?), how many got to know - in one way or the other - the violent and extreme part of the Islam? Maybe some of them actually believed what they read, and thought it all finally made sense after being disgusted by all the filth of the western world. And maybe a handful of them connected their dots and sought contact with common radicalists, making an effort to reach their goal; destroying their new found enemy, the West. Finding a howto for a bomb is no problem these days, and even that was too much for this 'terrorist'.

By no means do I want to diminish the situation, if anything I admit there is a problem. I just hope you guys try to look beyond the 'terrorism is terrorism' dogma; there's a story behind everything; and hopefully, we can leave everything behind us in a story, soon.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
if you go on the bbc website
it was possibly terrorism related
but he was a `troll`
mentally disturbed not a fanatic

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
im often in exeter as when im in my parents at bristol trains take only an hour and its a really nice place
the `bomber` was a troll he wasnt a `fanatic` and he didnt know what he was doing
nothing to be scared of
im going exeter this weekend
believe me nothing scares me
i know the truth about the world
aliens breeded us and watch over us
there is no god
religion is all a brainwashed load of rubbish
peace guys xxx

[edit on 22-5-2008 by elibubbles]

[edit on 22-5-2008 by elibubbles]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Update: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Domestic Islamic terrorism by lone wolf.

Apologies to ALF, I was wrong about it being animal rights campaigners.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
WTF! this guy was from Plymouth, my home town and where I live now. This is far too close for comfort. I've just been out for a walk around the city centre (due to un-related depression, just needed to get out) and I did see some guy in a white van being pulled over by an unmarked police car but thats the only police presence I came across and it was most likely unrelated... but I didn't stick around to find out. Crazy to think I might have brushed passed this guy in the street at some point!

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

Don't worry about it, you probably have walked past murderers, child abusers, wife beaters, rapists, people who commit sucide that day etc etc every week!

[edit on 22-5-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

Dude, no need to get all worked up about it. During the 1980's I lived in Belfast, as my dad was a soldier.

We lived every day expecting the car to have a bomb in it, expecting to be shot at while going shopping, expecting more trouble on the Mainland. It didn't stop us from just living our lives. Interesting times them and I have stories to share.

And just for added perspective, I was in London on the day that the 7/7 bombers did their recon. In the same stations, using the same tube lines, visiting the same sites as them at the same time.

Doesn't stop me going back to London when the fancy takes me, otherwise they win, do they not?

The yanks might get all emotional when terrorism stikes and totally over react but us British don't do that sort of thing. Just go about your business. The actual risk is significantly less than the perceived risk, exactly like it was when we had REAL terrorism from people who KNEW what they were doing, not these half-baked Islamic idiots who have not yet figured out that you can actually detontate a bomb from a safe distance.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Precisely.

To borrow a soundbite from the old guard:

Ive been blown up by a better class of bastard than this!

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Agreed, the fewer excuses used to extend what is already a reasonable facsimile of a police state the better!
the one aspect of this incident that appears least explored at the moment is the alleged perpetrators background and motives and the readiness of all the press to slap the term "extremist islamic" on someone whom little of a concrete nature is known; a shade too convenient for my taste.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

Yheah man - that's exactly what I thought!... At least there might be something interesting to read in the Herald for a while

Looks like this guy was a bit of a doughnut, but it only takes one I suppose, the news this morning said his neighbours in those stonehouse flats said he spent all his time glued to his computer, guess it wont be long before they figure out if he was acting on some orders or just pieced things together him self - they said he was mentally ill, but not in what way (i don't think).

I racking my brain for any other terrorist events in the south west... all I can think of was Dingles burning down in the 80's, animal rights nutters put incendiaries in the pockets of fur coats. Oh and I think there was a bit of a scare at the ferry port, they had info there was something either at the Plymouth end or France.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Harry's Place commenting on the bombing

The bomber was the only one injured when his bomb majfunctioned. A second device was discovered and ”made safe”. I doubt - if the news reports are anything to go by - that this man had the mental faculties to make bombs - even malfunctioning ones. So somewhere out there, a very dangerous and dispicable individual or group is still at large.

Somewhere in the west country could be cell active, but this does seem like a group of half wits which the police are dealing with pretty well.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
UPDATE:

Armed police have arrested two people in Plymouth

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
i live here in plymouth and the shopping centre is about 10 mins away! i dont think it was an over reaction to evacuate the people as someone stated earlier because a bomb is a bomb and is designed to cause damage and death.
there were infact two bombs and only one went 'partially' off so no real damage was done (apart from the bombers face lmao) also that same guy has been arrested.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
Destroying animal testing labs in Cambridge, shooting dead two scientists etc.

99.99% of all animal rights activists would never deliberately harm an innocent person. Harming scientists who have been promoting severe animal cruelty, while still over the top, is justifiable to extremists. Just wanted to clarify this before people start painting ALF in the same light as Al Qaeda.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Just a small update this morning.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Two men sitting outside a cafe with a baby in a pushchair were arrested by armed police today in connection with the Exeter restaurant bombing.

Around seven armed police were seen pointing their guns at the Asian looking men as they sat at a table in a busy high street in Plymouth, the home town of bomb suspect Nicky Reilly.

Now, remember those of you on the other side of the pond, when us Brits say "Asian" we mean Indian/Pakistani and not Japanese/Chinese. Although when I say "hot Asian chick" I do mean the other way around

www.timesonline.co.uk...

It can also be revealed that shortly before the bombing at the restaurant yesterday Mr Reilly received a text message of encouragement.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Sources close to the inquiry said the bomb was a fireball-type device that was extremely volatile and may have been detonated by shaking.

www.independent.co.uk...

The man who is suspected of detonating a bomb in an Exeter restaurant on Thursday was described by police and friends last night as a vulnerable and mentally disturbed "friendly giant", who had been "brainwashed" by people seeking to convert him to Islam.

Mr Reilly, who is 22, was being questioned by police last night. Reports said that the bomb which exploded in the Giraffe restaurant in the Princesshay shopping centre at around 12.50pm on Thursday was made up of chemicals and nails. Police have CCTV footage that shows Mr Reilly travelling on a double-decker Stagecoach bus NoX38 from Plymouth, along with other passengers, before reaching the restaurant, where he was arrested after the explosion.

"We know that between 10.26 and 10.40, 54 other passengers boarded the same bus and travelled to the main bus station in Paris Street, Exeter, arriving just after midday," a police spokesman said.

He was on a bus with a device that might have been set off by shaking?! Dozens of people really dodged a bullet that day in two locations.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cythraul

99.99% of all animal rights activists would never deliberately harm an innocent person. Harming scientists who have been promoting severe animal cruelty, while still over the top, is justifiable to extremists. Just wanted to clarify this before people start painting ALF in the same light as Al Qaeda.

Obviously Al Qaeda believes their actions are "justified" as well. Terrorism is terrorism. We've got the damned ELF up here in the Pacific Northwest and they're just as much a terror group as any muslim terrorist group is. Same can be said for abortion clinic bombers. They all have sick, easily manipulated minds that open them up to "justifying" heinous acts geared towards changing people's actions and beliefs through fear.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   
The term 'insane' was used earlier in this thread as a description of the person that attempted to blow-up something or someone? Now, if we are referring to a state of mind in this case being 'insane', then I don't think that a person who conceived the idea of causing destruction large or small then put together the device and then proceeded with the plan could be described as 'insane'? I'm guessing that the term was used to express your feelings about this in relation to your opinion of his state of mind? So, what words do we attribute to a suicide bomber who uses the only means they feel they have as protest, say in Palestine, presumably to shock us from our apathy regarding their suffering? Or what words do we use for this country that invades other countries and contributes to its destruction and inevitable toll of innocent deaths and misery?

An ‘insane’ UK government and Prime Minister?

I'm glad that more people were not injured in this act and may be we need more protection from the ‘insane’?

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cythraul

I realise that, in the way that most people realise that the majority of muslims would not take part in terrorism.

However ALF can be painted with the same brush as islamic terrorism. Both are radical, both commit crimes against property and person, both attack percieved enemies and both are fundamentally terrorists.

ALF may seem like a cuddlier option because they attack the "mean, animal abusing" scientists rather than "innocent" people. But to me all people are innocents and do not deserve death because of their professions or religion.

Where would the extremists of ALF stop? Theyve already gone to arson against buildings, shooting scientists (trying to find a source for that btw), releasing animals that have been tested upon back into the wild (fairly cruel IMO) etc etc.

Will ALF eventually attack anyone who is a non-vegetarian? Then what difference would there be between ALF and Al Qaeda. I am much more likely to be attacked by ALF than Al Qaeda considering my line of work, and to me both are equally despicable.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Quick update...

Police have searched a house in Laira as part of the ongoing investigation into the explosion in Exeter.

Yesterday morning, they raided a three-bedroom, three-storey terrace house in Old Laira Road, with uniformed and plain-clothes search teams working until late at night.

No properties around the house were evacuated, and police say no arrests were planned or made at the address and no individuals are being treated as suspects, although witness statements may have been taken from occupants.

Laira is an area on the opposite side of the city centre from Stonehouse (where the Exeter bomber lived) prob about 2-3 miles away

Edit: fogot the bloomin link!

[edit on 26/5/2008 by Now_Then]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join