It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion At Shopping Centre, bomber injured

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Apparently, the explosion came from the toilets.

Worryingly a similiar incident occured yesterday in Northern Ireland in McDonalds

BBC - Bombs in McDonalds

I'm not suggesting it is the Real IRA, but the device was left in a similiar area just like this event in Exter.

[edit on 22-5-2008 by infinite]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Apparently, the explosion came from the toilets.

Worryingly a similiar incident occured yesterday in Northern Ireland in McDonalds

BBC - Bombs in McDonalds

I'm not suggesting it is the Real IRA, but the device was left in a similiar area just like this event in Exter.

Not only is it a popular eating place for families, but they were left in the baby-changing room no less! That is just beyond sickening!

And there was another device in a toy store earlier this month

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Just to let you know:

There are other reports of so called nail bombs, but there are apparently untrue. Someone suggested WHSmiths and Primart.

A 20 year old male has been arrested.

(But eyewitnesses have flooded Skynews with reports of other explosions)

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
update:

Sky News reporter Robin Powell said emergency crews at the scene had recovered two devices, one of which had partially exploded.

Chief Constable Stephen Otter said one device exploded in the restaurant and another was found nearby.

The second device did not explode.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Hmm, how many non successful attempts do we have now? Isn't that a bit odd, when a terrorist could easily bomb "anywhere, anytime"

Anyway I read some of the comments on the link, and I find it a bit scary when I see comments like this:

"we need more security and alot more police roaming the streets!!"

What is more police and more security going to do? terrorists could easily simply bomb anywhere, if they were really a threat you would hear about successful bombings every week, and having more police everywhere wouldn't stop them, terrorism would simply be an excuse to create a police state.

[edit on 22-5-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Agreed.

Increased security and anti-terrorism laws solves nothing. You will always have idiots like this today or full blown organisation such as the IRA or Al Qaeda

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Channel 4 news has said that the man is a white convert to islam.

They've said it on the TV but it's not on the C4 news website.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
Channel 4 news has said that the man is a white convert to islam.

They've said it on the TV but it's not on the C4 news website.

Any name or pictures?

Not a one liner now

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Not yet - I haven't been able to verify it as yet, but will let you know when/if I do.

This is not a one liner either

[edit on 22/5/2008 by budski]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Really?

I've have found something interesting too. The ALF issued a warning to any restaurant serving foie gras. Was foie gras on the menu here?

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Not verified by any source - I wonder if he knows the guy that was arrested in bristol a few weeks ago....

An extremely incompetent terror cell if he does - thank god.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

reply to post by infinite

Not verified by any source - I wonder if he knows the guy that was arrested in bristol a few weeks ago....

I know it's wrong, but I could see a really funny comedy show with these type of characters lol.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Lets hope the cell is just two idiots, one smart guy in the cell could be deadly.

This post did not contain a one liner

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
My school is about 5 mins away from giraffe and we didnt hear a thing till bout 10 to 2. We had like a fire drill so r head cold tell us wat 2 do but we were so scared!

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Breaking news!

Skynews have confirmed the male was a muslim convert and a armed operation is now underway in Plymouth in connection with the bombing in Exter.

Police, at first, thought the bombing was animal rights but Scotland Yard and MI5 are now treating this a serious terrorist incident.

Armed Operation After Exeter Blast

Police have confirmed the man arrested over an explosion in Exeter was a recent Muslim convert who had been "preyed upon and radicalised".
An armed operation is under way in Plymouth believed to be in connection with the blast.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

news.sky.com...

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
According to BBC evening news the bomber was a 22 year old from Plymouth who was known to have mental illness and - apparently - had converted to 'Islam' and possibly been 'radicalised' .... if the mental health issue is correct it shows how sick these animals are. He may not really have been aware what he was doing.

(I have some personal knowledge of autistic people btw)

Exeter seems an odd target. But maybe this was the only person they could find in the UK to carry out such an attack so had little choice? Makes me so afraid I may have to, er, well, um, actually do nothing. The rain this weekend is of more pressing concern ....

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
have you noticed how many muslim terrorist attacks are played down by the police so as to not inflame race hate.....

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Yeah Exter is a odd target.

I live in a cathedral city, like Exter, many are starting to get worried here now.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Here is the latest peeps:

A man arrested after an explosion at an Exeter restaurant has "a history of mental illness" and was a recent convert to Islam, police have said.

Nicky Reilly, 22, from Plymouth, suffered serious facial injuries when a device detonated at the Princesshay shopping centre in the city.

Officers have also secured an address in Plymouth linked to Mr Reilly.

Anti-terrorist officers and security services have been called in to assist police in their investigation.

Mr Reilly was arrested after the device exploded at 1250GMT on Thursday in the Giraffe restaurant.

Devon and Cornwall Police Deputy Chief Constable Tony Melville said: "Our investigation so far indicates Reilly, who had a history of mental illness, had adopted the Islamic faith.

BBC

Seems radicals turned a man with a history of mental illness into a potential bomber. Not a very good one, mind you, thankfully.

I've always said that Islamic readicals are the worst terrorists in the history of terrorising. They couldn't blow up a bomb factory if they were given the keys and a "how to" guide.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Exeter seems an odd target. But maybe this was the only person they could find in the UK to carry out such an attack so had little choice? Makes me so afraid I may have to, er, well, um, actually do nothing. The rain this weekend is of more pressing concern ....

While it may seem odd to those who don't know the South West much, Exeter is an important city for both Devon and Cornwall.

It has a large airport, at least two Universities, is a major transport hub for the region linking directly with London via Reading and it is also one the oldest known cities in England.

On top of that, it is the economic hub for the South West. Considering Devon (and Cornwall) are major tourist hotspots for both Uk and overseas visitors (The English Riviera is in Devon), it isn't that an unusual choice of target given the Summer is now kicking in.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join