It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The horseshoe-shaped sand dunes on Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

According to the peace, "Daily Mail" reported that the United States recently announced a group of NASA's latest Mars photos, the photos show the existence of the mysterious surface of Mars Mati Yin dunes, this discovery immediately caused a huge stir. Photos, taken to the Mati Yin dunes, throughout the desert surface of Mars. (Hellespontus).According to scientists, these mysterious Mati Yin may be the shape of sand dunes in the surface of Mars, "Dadanier Strait region (Hellespontus)" under a strong westerly wind, but the specific reason.for not yet be explained.

External Link

I just found this post & after seeing lot of stuff like statue like Egyptian statue,human skull i think why not post this horseshoe-shaped pics here as well .I dnt find much about it but i hope at ATS people will find this stuff on NASA Mars site . SO could any buddy have any explanation for these strange shapes on mars.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Well either the wind-erosion deposition theory is in play on Mars.

Or those little green men beat us to the invention of pacman.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Yes, must be artificial and be proof of intelligent life on Mars (or whatever the least likely explanation you desire to believe in)

I mean, there is no way you could find the same thing here on earth, caused by natural forces, could you? No way......... (lol)..........(lol).....

[edit on 21-5-2008 by IgnoreTheFacts]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
its look like some kind of underground base to me...or some kind of future spaceship design & it inspired me to do my next designing project on this kind of design

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
As far as designing goes, your right, Some of the best ideas when it comes to design and engineering are found from observing the environment around us and observing the bio-mechanics of life right here at home.

That and art. I always find that certain works of art appeal to me more than others, and they always seem to have a naturally inspired design, shape, color, etc.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
1) Link to the original article - Daily mail
Galloping horseshoes! Who's been trampling over the Martian desert in new Nasa photos?

2) Link to the original image - Hirise
Eroding Mesas Forming Seif and Barchan Dunes (PSP_007676_1385)

This observation shows sand dunes within the Hellespontus region of Mars.

The sand appears to come from the layered mesas and knobs, features that have been eroded by powerful winds. The dunes here have a morphology indicating formative winds blowing from east to west (from right to left).

The primary indicator for this is the orientation of the barchan dunes, a dune type that on Earth has its horns in the downwind direction. Also, the steepest faces of the dunes are on the dunes’ eastern side, indicating easterly winds.

In addition to the barchans, some of the dunes are organized into a “seif,”, or longitudinal, form whereby their long axis is parallel to the wind. These are seen emanating from the sand sheets next to the mesas and knobs, as well as from some barchan horns.

hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

3) Close-up of one of the DUNES

4) We have Space Exploration forum for this stuff: the alleged egyptian statue was an anomalous formation, while these ones are ordinary DUNES.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
Yes, must be artificial and be proof of intelligent life on Mars (or whatever the least likely explanation you desire to believe in)

I mean, there is no way you could find the same thing here on earth, caused by natural forces, could you? No way......... (lol)..........(lol).....

[edit on 21-5-2008 by IgnoreTheFacts]

How ironic that you should in fact ignore the facts.

Look at the original post.

I cant see the word "alien" or "intelligent life" anywhere... care to dispute that?

The OP was making a very valid assessment of the presence of Earth-like conditions in terms of wind erosion and deposition patterns. This is not another moronic "omg alien face on mars which turns out to be a rock" thread... its an interesting geographical point.

from OP
SO could any buddy have any explanation for these strange shapes on mars.

See... open ended question

[edit on 21-5-2008 by 44soulslayer]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
BECAUSE THAT CAME FROM NATURE ..AND ALREADY TESTED AERODYNAMICALLY AS WELL .WHO KNOWS NEXT TIME I GET HIRED AT AREA 51 LOLZ

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   

hERE IS THE PIC TOO BUT LOOK AT THE SHAPE ITS SO FINE WE CNT FIND THAT MATCH ON EARTH

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by 123space

They are very nice, i agree: but they are DUNES, which formation has also been explained

Mystery of Mars' Sand Dunes Solved

A long-standing mystery about Mars' sand dunes may have just been sold by scientists. The strange thing about the dunes is that they look as if they were created by winds, but there are no winds on the surface of Mars.

Discovered in 1971 in pictures taken from space, above the surface, they look very similar to sand dunes on Earth, so they must have been created through the same processes as in our deserts. However, how could winds have been causing them when the Martian atmosphere is so thin and still?

Many consecutive missions to Mars have detected no change in the position and sizes of the dunes, unlike the dunes on Earth, which are shifting constantly. Astronomers now found out that they really have been formed by the action of winds, only that winds on Mars are moving so slowly that they're virtually undetectable, meaning that the dunes were formed far more slowly than back on Earth, like in a movie seen in slow motion.

Eric Parteli at the University of Stuttgart and Hans Herrmann at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zürich has performed a series of computer simulations of the formation of two distinct types of dunes seen on Mars: the arrowhead-shaped "barchan" dunes, (formed when the wind blows mainly in one direction), and elongated "exotic" dunes (formed when the wind alternates between two directions).

The formation process has also been explained, and it's called "saltation," which means a small grain of sand is lifted by the wind, and driven along above the sand until it falls back, creating a splash of ejected grains. The ejected grains could then also be picked up by the wind leading to a rapid multiplication of the amount of sand that is being blown along.

Results also shown that the dunes on Mars do shift, only that they do it far too slowly for us to detect their movement, which is estimated at 1 meter (0.3 ft) every 4000 years.

Ed: whoooooooops!
Source

[edit on 21/5/2008 by internos]

top topics

join