It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think that Dino's disprove the bible?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I think that existance of dinosaurs pretty much make the bible look like a joke. The bible doesn't explain earlier existance!! I think that either the bible is fake or dinosaurs are fake!! please give me replies

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by tpeele
The bible doesn't explain earlier existance!!

Well, it also doesn't explain electricity, fiber optics or discuss life on other planets. The Bible isn't about pre-history or extraterrestrials, it's about the rise, fall and redemption of Man.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
read through the last chapters of Job and you will see that the bible does indeed mention dinosaurs. The bible calls it a leviathan, or a behemoth

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuning Spork

yeah but you have to look at the fact that it is supposed explain the way of life and how it came to be. It also says in revalations that there are no life but man and everything. that is an ignorrant statement and is why I do not believe in this brainwashing book.( not trying to put down the bible and christianity but it does seem like alot things are missing)

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
This is from Job 41. I think it is talking more about a dragon.

14Who can open the doors of his face? his teeth are terrible round about.

15His scales are his pride, shut up together as with a close seal.

16One is so near to another, that no air can come between them.

17They are joined one to another, they stick together, that they cannot be sundered.

18By his neesings a light doth shine, and his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning.

19Out of his mouth go burning lamps, and sparks of fire leap out.

20Out of his nostrils goeth smoke, as out of a seething pot or caldron.

21His breath kindleth coals, and a flame goeth out of his mouth.

22In his neck remaineth strength, and sorrow is turned into joy before him.

23The flakes of his flesh are joined together: they are firm in themselves; they cannot be moved.

24His heart is as firm as a stone; yea, as hard as a piece of the nether millstone.

25When he raiseth up himself, the mighty are afraid: by reason of breakings they purify themselves.

26The sword of him that layeth at him cannot hold: the spear, the dart, nor the habergeon.

27He esteemeth iron as straw, and brass as rotten wood.

28The arrow cannot make him flee: slingstones are turned with him into stubble.

29Darts are counted as stubble: he laugheth at the shaking of a spear.

30Sharp stones are under him: he spreadeth sharp pointed things upon the mire.

31He maketh the deep to boil like a pot: he maketh the sea like a pot of ointment.

32He maketh a path to shine after him; one would think the deep to be hoary.

33Upon earth there is not his like, who is made without fear.

34He beholdeth all high things: he is a king over all the children of pride.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
That does seem more likely for a dragon than a dinosaur and thank you for the reply. it was very intelligently explained. and the bible was written in between the 1200's and 1600's( I do not know exactly when, sorry! ) by King James of Russia and was around the time of fantasy art and stories. Job was also added near the end of the publication of the bible

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   

the bible was written in between the 1200's and 1600's

You're joking, right? If the bible wasn't written at the time of the Norman Conquest then why did they call it 1066? What did the year, say, 732 refer back to?

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   

that is an ignorrant statement and is why I do not believe in this brainwashing book.( not trying to put down the bible and christianity but it does seem like alot things are missing)

Had you left off the "brainwashing book" part I might have believed you.

That is all...

[edit on 5/20/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuning Spork

I am not sure but i know that the New Testament was written in 1604 by King James of Russia. I do not know what you are refering to in any way. Please enlighten me.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Dino's could've been there before creation was re-made. Genesis doesn't say that the earth was created... it said that it was barren and lifeless. Which means it was already there and could've had life before it was lifeless.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tpeele

What I mean is that 1604 A.D. (anno Domini; year of the Lord) is a year on the Christian calendar. To say that the New Testament was written in 1604 is, thus, inherently nonsensical.

Also, the King James Version was translated during the reign of King James I of England. Since the KJV is an English translation of the original Hebrew and Greek, your assertion that it was translated in Russia is also inherently nonsensical.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Allow me to humour you: In genesis it mentions God created the Heavens and the Earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th. Ok, yeah, there are many religious beliefs but since this is about the bible and dinos it also doesn't mention that each day lasted 24 hours.

The first day could have been 100 billion years etc etc etc.... see what i am getting at? It isn't "literally" 1 day as WE know it.

For example, a day to us is VERY different in many perspectives. If you were living on Neptune 1 day would be 16 earth hours (not to the minute) and if you lived on Venus your day would last 5832 hours.

See what i mean - but it is still a "day". We know this because we measure our day in terms of how long the earth will rotate on it's axis one full turn.

So now, if we get technical and there was no planet, nothing to revolve to determine day and night etc, i.e. we stood on a platform in front of the sun we wouldn't know day or night or "time" but only as WE know it.

So again, 1 day is not "time" based as we know it.

So that means dinos existed and eventually man "Adam and Eve" appeared. I don't believe we should take Adam and Eve as literal beings keeping in mind when the bible was written and to the people it was intended for as they had very little or no education at all and any sort of material had to be metaphorical or had to paint some sort of picture in the mind of it's audience to be able to be understood in what ever was was simplest.

I hope i made some sense?

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by shearder
I hope i made some sense?

Yes, you did, Shearder. Not only is the word "day" up for interpretation, the names "Adam" and "Eve" are Hebrew words for "man" and "woman". They were not, for some reason, literally translated but, rather, offered as proper names.

As an agnostic I'm open to religious texts being an expression Truth within their dogmas. But the whole "day-is-undefined" defense doesn't hold up.

From Genesis 1:5 :

And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

This seems to conclusively define God's "Day" as the familiar human day.

Shearder, are you a subscriber to the "gap theory"? It's interesting an worth discussing, especially in the context of dinosaurs specifically and pre-history generally.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Dude, spork, i thought i had you selected as a friend, done now as i enjoy your posts - mostly lol. Now to the subject at hand.

Originally posted by Tuning Spork
Yes, you did, Shearder. Not only is the word "day" up for interpretation, the names "Adam" and "Eve" are Hebrew words for "man" and "woman".

Absolutely. Hence the reason i placed them in inverted commas.

From Genesis 1:5 :

And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

This seems to conclusively define God's "Day" as the familiar human day.

I had to go and have a ciggy before i replied because this could get so long winded lol. You hit the nail on the head in the latter part of this comment. as the familiar "Human Day" or day as we know it. That's the key. The bible was written by humans, we assume LOL, and it is written for human understanding which includes knowing what night and day is. So we were given names for light and dark - i.e. day and night. But again, and i wander off topic i guess (apologies to the OP), but "he" created the heavens too and if we were in outer-space, with no sun nearby it would be dark IMO - not going to discuss different angles here for obvious reasons - let's forget exact science for a minute, or not as light and would be perpetually so for X amount of time as the "heavens change".

Ok in short, Day and Night are for human understanding to describe light and dark for humans on earth but it still does not say it was 24 hours as i used Venus as an example. There will be "day" and "night" but we will just work longer and sleep longer.

Damn, i was trying to keep it simple LOL.

Shearder, are you a subscriber to the "gap theory"? It's interesting an worth discussing, especially in the context of dinosaurs specifically and pre-history generally.

Not really. in the way that there was a "gap" but i believe evolution took us forward till man came on the scene and then awakenings took place etc etc through time till we were of understanding which gave us abilities like writing and language and we used them - creatively.

This is a long long subject and as you mention should perhaps be discussed.

But again, what we know about evolution and the bible, doesn't, IMO, give us enough to be conclusive enough. We don't know everything only very little. Just in the way we do not even know, today, 50% of what is in our oceans. Perhaps we know more about the universe than our oceans.

wahhhhhhhh... ok brain dead moment. It isn't a simply explained away subject lol... And i don't think this thread is the place

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Exactly my point. It was supposed to have been written as GODS word and to be taken as 100% true. Whether or not it is true man wrote the bible and it was passed down for milleniums and most likely was stretched out quite a bit. The more you look at the bible and early man, the more it gets disproved. We have found earlier forms of man and the bible says nothing about man evolving or changing from original form. I also agree on the fact that gods "day" was interpreted to be the same length as ours. There was also a theory that the story of David and Goliath was based on dinosaurs because it was said that they found the bones of a T-Rex and mistook it as a very large human body, thus a giant.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
i have to say, reading through the thread i have made one serious omission, i never answered the question - but i say no, i don't believe dinos disprove the bible. The bible just doesn't cover dinos - for obvious reasons.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by tpeele

its a scientific fact that the earth is approximately 4 1/2 billion years old and its a scientific fact that 29 to 31 different levels of strata lay beneath our feet with the remains in them of lifeforms that no longer exist from past creations including the dinos that were exterminated 65 million years ago by the "rock" from space 6 miles in diameter that formed the gulf of mexico.

the so called early church "fathers" say that adamic type man has only been on this earth for the last 6000 years.

genesis 1:2 shows the world already in existence with all the land submersed under the oceans after the rock from space destruction of the dinos.
verse 3 and after show G-D at work rebuilding the earth and atmosphere preparing the world for adamic type man and the animals and vegitation we are familiar with now on the strata that will become level #30 or 32 when G-D is pleased to move on (with or without us) to the next phase of His plans of Creation.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Oh Geez, more people who don't study the Bible making more pointless threads that lead NOWHERE. A day as described in Genesis is literally a day as we know it now days. the word used for day is the Hebrew "yom" it means a warm day, 24 hours. Dinosaurs are in the Bible and they are even mentioned in Genesis, but not directly, like most of the animals, it talks about different types, not specific species. Leviathan and Behemoth were both dragons, but what is a dragon? Seems to me that dragons have always been these giant scaley "terrible lizzards" that go around doing stuff, not specificly breathing fire although some of them did (which would not be entirly impossible for an animal to do, we have bugs that do something similar to that). Scientists claim they know how old bones are, but how do they know? Carbon 14 dating? Well that has been proven time and time agian to be a very faulty way to date things, plus even if it weren't how do they set the scale for time concerning the lack of carbon in an animal? The fact is things don't really take as much time as they say it does to fossilize.

I could get into a big Creation vs Evolution debate, but I don't feel like trying to exsplain something that has been explained here 65 billion times. People want to believe what they want and nomatter what the other side says they will continue to believe it, the Holy Spirit is the only one who can truely give you a revelation of the truth.

-Jimmy

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by yahn goodey

Well you see the christian bible does say that man did not evolve and that god made us in his own image( i doubt his image changed ), it says absolutley nothing about them changing or anything like that. It also says that God made everything natural that you see around you. It says that "he made every living thing that moves". It also goes on to describe cattle and every beast that creeps on the earth. There is no proof that cows, sheep, and things of that nature were around in the period of the dinosaur.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by tpeele

Really? Are you sure?
I'm pretty sure they co-exist, all you know is what you have learned from school, like me. The thing is though is that there are fossilized bones of cows, dogs, birds, fish and such, so how can we say that dinos and other animals never co-existed? The bones aren't always on different layers, but we never get to see those bones. One problem that I find most scientists have is that bones rott just like everything else, animals strewn them about and eat them as well, but it's interesting that we almost always have these skeletons with all the bones close together, almost as if something rapidly burried them.
Hmm... Now what could do that? A flood maybe?
I'm pretty sure dinosaurs didn't leave all the bones of an animal all in one place either, they would have to not even eat the animal to be able to do that. The fact is fossilization over milions and millions of years is not possible, the only thing that can fossilize all those animals is something that quickly covers and burries animals with deposits, not a corpse rotting, the bones would rott away within about a few years.
Plus, why is it that there are no ancient stories about people being monkeys? You would think that things like that would be passed down, plus there is no real evidence that we came from monkeys either, or that any animal evolved from another. People have tried to use the fact that some monkeys use tools to get food (by sticking a stick into a termite nest to pull out termites), but I've seen beavers, otters, dogs, cats and many other animals make and use tools to get what they want too, does it mean we evolved from them? No. There are lots of things that we have in common with many animals, bu it doesn't mean we come from any of them, it only means we have a common maker.

Honestly though, the same people who tell you there is Global Warming are telling you the is Global Cooling and are telling you there is nothing going on, these people also tell you aliens don't exist and that anyone who thinks they do exist are nuts, but then agian these are the same people who say aliens do exist and anyone who thinks they don't exist ar closed minded fools.
Science says a lot, but doesn't show much.

-Jimmy

top topics

<<   2 >>

join