It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miscellaneous ramblings on Survival

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
On Survival

Survival is about surviving, not equipment. The best survival tool you have is your brain and the information you have stored in it.. No amount of gear or supplies can replace good common sense and knowledge.

Unless you plan to carry a survival library and a hundred pounds of gear with you during a SitX scenario, you're best bet is to sharpen your skills and instincts, and read all you can on the subject of survival. Prepare for all scenarios, not just the easy ones.

A real survivor is a master of adapting to and/or overcoming situations with the resources at hand. If you've ever watched Man vs Wild, Bear Gryll has very little gear on him aside from a knife and a firesteel. He eats what he can catch whether it's an insect, a frog, a snake, a scavenged carcass, etc.. He also eats most of his food raw to conserve energy and not waste valuable resources or time.

when he builds a fire, it's from the tinder, kindling, and wood available locally.

When he constructs a shelter it's from the available resources, not something from his backpack.

If he needs to get a bearing, he uses the sun and the stars as his navigational aides.

Bottom line, he uses his brain and his knowledge of survival to get by. Tools and gadgets are great, but you really need to know how to survive without them.

What happens if you and all your gear get separated by some mishap, or you don't have the time to grab it?

Learn the basics, then practice them.

Be like Bear he's cool!

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I made a thread like this on my old account actually - you can view it here if you like.

I do agree strongly with your "Procurement on Site" mentality, btw.

[edit on 20-5-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
On Survival

Bear Gryll has very little gear on him aside from a knife and a firesteel

That's coz he spend's his nights in the nearest 5 star hotel.. Dunno why he even bothers carrying them unless he uses it to slice his after eight mints left on his pillow..

Anything he 'constructs' is pre-prepared and dismantled for him.. kinda like a wardrobe from MFI..

The guys a fraud...

Don't believe everything you see on TV.

Pre-prepared??

I just invented a new word.. Think I'll use it more often..Def a 'Keeper'

[edit on 20-5-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
That's coz he spend's his nights in the nearest 5 star hotel.. Dunno why he even bothers carrying them unless he uses it to slice his after eight mints left on his pillow..

Anything he 'constructs' is pre-prepared and dismantled for him.. kinda like a wardrobe from MFI..

The guys a fraud...

Don't believe everything you see on TV.

I read about him getting busted on his Hawaiian adventure, but he's human, and entitled to a screw up once in a while just like the rest of us. He did apologize for the deception, and I think he's making his amends now.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

He is a great outdoors man. 98% of what he teaches on his show can be learned by reading the SAS survival handbook. Sometimes I swear he is reading straight from the book.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

I took a look at the thread, and it was a very insightful post. I even posted to it. Thanks for the reply AT.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
reply to post by LLoyd45

He is a great outdoors man. 98% of what he teaches on his show can be learned by reading the SAS survival handbook. Sometimes I swear he is reading straight from the book.

I agree DR. He may have got busted using a few pre-fab items, but I don't doubt for a moment that he could construct any item he needed without assistance. He's the real deal, he just got a little lazy and complacent.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
...98% of what he teaches on his show can be learned by reading the SAS survival handbook. Sometimes I swear he is reading straight from the book.

Is that the 'Lofty Wiseman' book.. best book purchase ever

As for 'Bear'.. I can't even watch the guy.. I just read a story in the 'daily' today about Ray Mears..

Asked if he watched 'Bears' prog for tips.. replied..
"Yeah.. for tips on how to NOT make a survival show"

Showmanship and sensationalism..

You see, Ray has spent his life studying survival culture,native techniques,uncovering lost methods etc.. He's in it for the knowledge and the love of it.. and the cash(naturally)

Bear does it for the 'Action man image' and the cash.

He's actually demonstrating grossly inaccurate and dangerous techniques..the type that will get the 'Average Joe 'dead in no time.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

You are absolutely correct. You most valuable tool is your brain.

I've been a survivalist most of my life spending weekends and vacations on the river bank or in the forest. So, it's second nature to me to make do with what is available.

In my opinion, if a person is truly interested in learning to survive they should experiment and take no more than they can carry and head out in the wilderness. You don't have to go far and can feel safe by having your transportation close by.

It won't take very many weekends before you will know what's important to pack in you sitx bag. In a real sitx you will know how to build shelter, start fire with flint and even build an out door toilet.

Practice, practice, practice. You will be able to do what you have to do while others are near panic.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Yes thats the book

Bears techniques are more for the advanced survivalist. His ways are more military than common survivalist. I agree repelling down a waterfall is not ideal in any situation but he still has some good information.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Everyone that writes books or appears on TV shows is doing it for the money. If I had the skills and the good looks of Bear, I'd give it a try too!

As for Ray Mears, I never heard of the guy before reading your post. He must be a UK icon or something.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Must admit I prefer Ray Mears..with him there is no sensationalism..

And one thing I learned " necessity is the mother of invention!!
Learn and practice the basics..

The basic tools are knowledge a good knife ( and knowing how to use it )
and a tool to make fire...but above all its knowledge!!...if you don't have that...your buggered!!

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

He does a lot of work on the coasts, mountains and forests that surround the English countryside, but people still denounce him.

Probably because, like every other Working Englishman worth his salt, he'll be down the pub for a few rounds after he's finished filming his day's work.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

There's nothing wrong with kicking back and having a few pints after a hard day's work. I'd never fault a man or woman for that.

[edit on 5/20/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

I agre with you completely. Between your brain and hands-on experience, you have all the tools you need to survive wherever you go.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Neither would i, but there is a certain element of the survival culture that has... "extremist" values, in that - what you eat you find, what you build you take from the earth, what you see is what you see.

Naturally, they're the types who would hate on Ray because he likes to take advantage of the simpler things in life - like a pint.

And of course, then you have the types who are the couch critics, who like to demean and moan about everything they see on T.V.

Personally, I don't know what to think about the guy, other than that he can find some scran is some pretty dodgy places.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Ray Mears is a GOD..
.. I read a blog about his 'spare tyre' and it occurred to me..

'Bear' is always scaling cliffs, jumping chasms,wrestling 20ft gorillas or snakes or whatever.. and eats eyeballs,drinks urine and crud to survive.. hmmmm(or does he?

Ray Mears toddles about the forest picking fungi,berries,carving pots and cups,steaming fish and veggies.. ie generally having a laid back time... AND he manages to eat enough in the wild to have a 'spare tyre'.. (he eats his fair share of inedible stuff for real)

Who do YOU think would survive the longest?

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant
Neither would i, but there is a certain element of the survival culture that has... "extremist" values, in that - what you eat you find, what you build you take from the earth, what you see is what you see.

Naturally, they're the types who would hate on Ray ..

Yeah this is an oddity..Because Ray has done numerous world round trips in the most extreme climates..for the entire course of filming.. with NO hotels available..

I think the reason why people 'hate on him' is because he shows an totally confident approach during his show.. kinda like.. he's used to rough living and has done it all his life and makes it look ridiculously easy..

.. Oh yeah!! that's coz he HAS.

------

Can't stand that posh old twittering ass-kisser he has with him on 'wild foods' though..

I think I'd push him off a cliff while he was doing his...

"Mmm yes.. I I I think that would be quite palatable with a little less fibrous texture...."

ARGGGHHH!!!

JUST EAT THE BLOODY THING WILL YOU!!!!!!

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
'Bear' is always scaling cliffs, jumping chasms,wrestling 20ft gorillas or snakes or whatever.. and eats eyeballs,drinks urine and crud to survive.. hmmmm(or does he?

Ray Mears toddles about the forest picking fungi,berries,carving pots and cups,steaming fish and veggies.. ie generally having a laid back time... AND he manages to eat enough in the wild to have a 'spare tyre'.. (he eats his fair share of inedible stuff for real)

Who do YOU think would survive the longest?

Ray sounds more like a naturalist in the vain of Les Stroud from your description. Bear is former miltary, so his skill set is probably a bit more demanding physically. If the scenario required a lot of strength and endurance rather than simple foraging skills, I'd put my money on Bear.

I'm sure Ray's skills are more than adequate for most survival situations though, and if he enjoys a pint or two after hours, it's cool with me.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
Ray sounds more like a naturalist in the vain of Les Stroud from your description..

Yeah,He's a cool dude,Slightly different in a good way though.. corrected a lot of the dodgy 'Bear' methods too..

Ray..Naturist.. TOTALLY..

I like having a giggle on the old Bear vs Ray thing.. you gotta read this..

www.bikechatforums.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join