It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miscellaneous ramblings on Survival

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I never seen Mears but I have Les Stroud who I prefer to Bear.Bears show seems mainly for shock value. The tricks he performs was learned in the military not something most could do without training unless they want to get themselves killed.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by GRAYHAWK

I like Les too, but he starves most of the time. His experiences would probably be more typical of the average person stuck in a similar situation however.

Some of the things Bear does are a little physically demanding, but I think a person in good physical condition could do them with a minimal risk of injury.

[edit on 5/20/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Hello all,

I remember getting Lofty Wiseman’s book through the post many years ago and thinking fook me this is great.

Has for Grylls, he is great at what he does and if I ever find a dying camel on its own in the desert I’ll be sure to use it Star Wars style and get a warm nights smelly sleep. But Mears isn’t just about survival; he is going back to the people who do it for real and learning. That must be worth doing. Why sleep in a smelly camel when you can build a house from its bones and skin?

I like Grylls though, and he is ex TA SAS, no mean feat.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Thats right, not many people know that, esp. the ones who slag him down.
Sure, he isn't the solo-spec-ops hero on his show but thats not everything. He also broke his back parachuting (in SAS) and had to fight all the way to get back on his game.

Go Bear G!

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Here's a great article I found comparing their different presentation styles. It is neither an endorsement or criticism of either man, and is very well-written. I laughed my butt off reading some of the comments.

Comparison of their Survival Styles

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Very good post Lloyd45.
Starred and flagged

I totally agree with the fact that your brain is the best tool you have.

I still have a good survival pack with various tools and such.
Being the avid backpacker I am. Though Im one of those light backpackers
who just carries minimal gear. And most of it is for just incase I get into some sort of accident.

But I do know engough about survival to be able to live without them in a sitx or in the wild.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Where can a lone individual find more of this Ray survival guy?

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by n0b0DY
Where can a lone individual find more of this Ray survival guy?

Hey nobody,

Here's a link to his website. I've never seen his show so I can't really comment on it, but Agent_T seems to know quite a bit obout him as he lives in the UK. Hope the link below helps.

Ray Mears

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Hey thanks Loyd!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join