It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you leave your computer on 24/7?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
Yeah, I leave it on most of the time, as I'm always downloading something or defragmenting my hard drives.

I have a always-on high speed connection protected by a hardware router/firewall, and I don't see why hackers would be interested in my comp anyway, so I'm not worried. And anyway, if someone would get in my PC, I would notice it almost right away.

Altho, if I were really parano, I'd configure the IDS to e-mail me at work & send me a txt message on my cell-phone as soon as an intrusion would be detected, but in my current situation, I really don't think I need that. Home PCs are rarely a target for hackers. They are usually target for script kiddies.

Its not the hacking you should worry about more and more computers becoming infected with virii/worms are used as online soldiers so to say or even worse zombie computers dishing out pr0n to others at will, its a personal choice.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedarkprojekt

Its not the hacking you should worry about more and more computers becoming infected with virii/worms are used as online soldiers so to say or even worse zombie computers dishing out pr0n to others at will, its a personal choice.

And the worms etc. you mention can access your cable-connected PC if it is turned off. Assuming you do not have a router, only a firewall/virus protection????????

[Edited on 1-3-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
thedarkprojekt

I barely never use e-mails, besides for job purposes, and the only stuff I receive at home is usually stuff sended by me from the job, and I know how most worms works inside-out, so they don't worry me at all.

Besides, I update my virus definition religiously.

As I said before, as soon as someone/something will make even the slightiest modification on my PC, I'll notice it right away. Yeah, I'm a PC freak.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Just joined Seti about 20 mins ago...leaving it on all nite now...doing real well...kinda lost with it but looks good.

cheers to Baked, Htown and Bob88 for the info

Gryff

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gryffen
Just joined Seti about 20 mins ago...leaving it on all nite now...doing real well...kinda lost with it but looks good.

cheers to Baked, Htown and Bob88 for the info

Gryff

Welcome Gryff!!

Thank you for joining the ATS SETI@home team - we're a very "vibrant" community (as you can probably tell!!
) and we're trying to "race up the all team boards" as fast as we can. Thanx to all our "SETI-crunchers" we're doing that just fine at the moment!!

Let's go ATS SETI@home team!!

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I leave mine on all the time

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shoktek
with windows you get used to restarting weekly at least, and thats a system with loads of on board memory...my linux computer has half the memory as the laptop I am using, and 1/4 the memory of our other PC both running XP, we restart the XPs all the time, while the Linux computer is commonly up for months at a time without ever restarting.

I run WindowsXP on my main machine and I almost never have to restart (only when installing new drivers/software) it's gone for 5 months without restarting and it only restarted because of a power outage its been on now for about 4 1/2 months....while my Linux machine has been running for about 1.5 years lol (my linux machine is on a UPS so the power outage 4 1/2 months ago didn't affect it since it was only for about 5 minutes)

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I don't trust leaving my computer on because there are allways people out there scanning ports looking for someone to be hacked!!!

It just isn't safe in my oppinion

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by truegimp2000
I don't trust leaving my computer on because there are allways people out there scanning ports looking for someone to be hacked!!!

It just isn't safe in my oppinion

Don't you have a firewall???
Here's some useful things: ShieldsUp!! and LeakTest
grc.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Another perhaps dumb question: is leaviang the PC on 24/7 really optimum for cable connections, as the firewall is inactive when the PC is off, even though you are still connected?
Or, is this another weird thing I think I know??????

And the worms etc. you mention can access your cable-connected PC if it is turned off. Assuming you do not have a router, only a firewall/virus protection????????

leaving the machine on for a long period of time doesn't hinder the quality of your connection at all.
even if it did, somehow, it would be the isp's problem.

no virus or worm can obtain access to your computer if it's off, with or without any firewall protection.

... i run a public access server. it's behind a linksys router, using a windows xp box as the second router which provides the connection for my red hat linux box.
i find that i never have to reboot the linux system (with very low resources), while i would have to monitor the winxp's cpu usage very closely, checking if a reboot is in need, though it really doesn't do anything.

also, i run seti@home on public machines.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I have a high-speed broadband connection thats on all the time (as is my computer), and once in a while I have to reset the modem (about every 2-3 weeks) because the connection seems to just fail and stop working I'm not sure why this is but it always works again right away my mom said it could be something with the billing crap,etc. that's the only probelm I've ever had with leaving my connection open all the time

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   
yup, on 24/7 with monitors set to power off after 20 minutes

big server up for 48 days now and desktop for 12. no problems

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
i would leave it on 24/7 but thats just to much info for this pile of junk can handle

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
i try man i try. ive got a mother who, dispite reading everything i offer her, believes it is a sina nd a waste of money (much in the same way leaving lights and hte vcr and tv on all day arent)
hence, whenever i do, the frigid ice queen (her) steps right on in. anger has given way to dissapointment

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
i try man i try. ive got a mother who, dispite reading everything i offer her, believes it is a sina nd a waste of money (much in the same way leaving lights and hte vcr and tv on all day arent)
hence, whenever i do, the frigid ice queen (her) steps right on in. anger has given way to dissapointment

Your mom is ignorant and a dumbass. It's that simple, tragically. I hate people who refuse to change their beliefs because of pride, even when it has been proven that they are incorrect.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer

Ah, it's funny, but usually the bill payer is the person cuncerned about power usage.
Before you know it, you will have the joy of paying bills. Enjoy it while you can.

Sorry for the hijack.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
lol, nothin meant. ive conveyed sorta the same sentiments to her, but, oh well.
as for bill, well, i figure id save enuf livin off ramen too pay the extra. its for a good cause, and its something i believe in. thats worth a buck extra each month

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Once you learn the inner workings of a worm or any other sort of virus related program they stop being such a threat. I run a bunch of services including Apache on an old Pentium 3 600 Mhz box i had kicking around and I admit on more than once occasion i've been hacked but generally that was my fault for not tieing up loose ends and staying current with patches
nowadays I keep my snort definitions updated, my databases tidy and my audits reviewed.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I leave my computer on for about 15 hours of the day or so.

I think this "leave your compie on" stuff is a government conspiracy to make the public think its better but in reality it isn't. They want unhindered access to your computer system.

Thats my 2 cents!

Later,

Reason

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I think someone's taking this conspiracy thing a little too far...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join